Обсуждение: newbB: Howto tell if jdbc is compiled-in?

newbB: Howto tell if jdbc is compiled-in?

От
john-paul delaney
Дата:
Thanks Nick... I had already bookmarked the site to try out your test code, once I have all components installed.

BTW, I'm interested in java servlets running under Apache Tomcat, using postgreSQL as the back-end store.  Can anyone
recommendany sites that discuss this combination?

regards
/j-p.

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Nick Fankhauser wrote:

> As the other folks mentioned, you only need to obtain the .jar file & put it
> in your classpath to support jdbc. All the "with jdbc" switch does for you
> is to build this file. So- it's easiest to just download the file from
> http://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html. If you're just starting, you may
> find this web page useful:
>
> www.fankhausers.com/postgresql/jdbc
>
> -Nick

-----------------------
 JUSTATEST Art Online
  www.justatest.com

Re: newbB: Howto tell if jdbc is compiled-in?

От
"Nick Fankhauser"

> BTW, I'm interested in java servlets running under Apache Tomcat,
> using postgreSQL as the back-end store.  Can anyone recommend any
> sites that discuss this combination?

Tony Grant has a page describing this combination with the addition of
Macromedia UltraDev: http://www.animaproductions.com/ultra.html

It's just barely started, but I have a few notes about problems we
encountered in connection with JDBC & Tomcat in here:
http://www.fankhausers.com/tomcat/jdbc/. More to come as time allows... The
combination you mention is exactly what we're using, and we found it quite
easy to work with once you get past the setup hump, which was a real bear.
Although I've found some other sites out there describing this setup, the
information we ultimately ended up using all came from the "official" Tomcat
site. In particular, take a look at the mod_jk documentation.

-Nick

Re: newbB: Howto tell if jdbc is compiled-in?

От
"Peter V. Cooper"
Дата:
JP, I am running Linux RH 7.2, Apache (came with RH7.2 - don't know the
number), Tomcat 3.2.3
and postgresql 7.2. All seems to be working fine. I have not stress tested
it yet or put it in
a live site. A beta site is next. Can't vouch for anything above 3.2.3 on
Tomcat as I had problems
with 3.2.4 and backed it down a level. Others on this list have mentioned
Tomcat 4.X. Chime up.
I still know of a site that has problems with a persistent connection to
the database over a wan
timing out but have been unable to flush out answers here. My config needs
only the JVM,DB, and JDBC driver on the same machine for now. Lan later and
Wan even further out. By then I
should have or program a solution. Good luck - the above config seems to
work fine.

At 03:03 PM 2/12/2002 -0100, john-paul delaney wrote:

>Thanks Nick... I had already bookmarked the site to try out your test
>code, once I have all components installed.
>
>BTW, I'm interested in java servlets running under Apache Tomcat, using
>postgreSQL as the back-end store.  Can anyone recommend any sites that
>discuss this combination?
>
>regards
>/j-p.
>

>On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Nick Fankhauser wrote:
>
> > As the other folks mentioned, you only need to obtain the .jar file &
> put it
> > in your classpath to support jdbc. All the "with jdbc" switch does for you
> > is to build this file. So- it's easiest to just download the file from
> > http://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html. If you're just starting, you may
> > find this web page useful:
> >
> > www.fankhausers.com/postgresql/jdbc
> >
> > -Nick
> >

>-----------------------
>  JUSTATEST Art Online
>   www.justatest.com

NewB: Servlet/cmd:Classpath confusion

От
john-paul delaney
(Thread Was: Howto tell if jdbc is compiled-in?)

Thanks Peter...

My setup is RH7.0 - Apache1.3.20 - Tomcat4.0.1 - PostgreSQL 7.1

I tested some basic sample servlets and they're working ok however when I try to run Nick's example code from the
commandline - I get the 'NoClassDefFoundError' (which apparantly points to problems with the jdbc .jar not in the
classpath). Nevertheless, even when I run the command line argument to specify the classpath, I get the same error.

Nick mentions problems of this kind for users running Tomcat - as I don't understand what's causing the problem, I'd
appreciatesome further explanation if possible.  This is just for my own understanding - as the setup as is, is working
ok.

Secondly, I'm new to databases - postgreSQL is my first experience in this field, and I think I need a 'cheatsheet' on
psqlcommands & syntax for beginners (such as SELECT TABLE_NAME FROM USER_TABLES; - not sure if that actually works)
etc. Can anyone suggest any links or further reading on this?

Again Many thanks
/j-p.

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Peter V. Cooper wrote:

> JP, I am running Linux RH 7.2, Apache (came with RH7.2 - don't know the
> number), Tomcat 3.2.3
> and postgresql 7.2. All seems to be working fine. I have not stress tested
> it yet or put it in
> a live site. A beta site is next. Can't vouch for anything above 3.2.3 on
> Tomcat as I had problems
> with 3.2.4 and backed it down a level. Others on this list have mentioned
> Tomcat 4.X. Chime up.
> I still know of a site that has problems with a persistent connection to
> the database over a wan
> timing out but have been unable to flush out answers here. My config needs
> only the JVM,DB, and JDBC driver on the same machine for now. Lan later and
> Wan even further out. By then I
> should have or program a solution. Good luck - the above config seems to
> work fine.
>
> At 03:03 PM 2/12/2002 -0100, john-paul delaney wrote:
>
> >Thanks Nick... I had already bookmarked the site to try out your test
> >code, once I have all components installed.
> >
> >BTW, I'm interested in java servlets running under Apache Tomcat, using
> >postgreSQL as the back-end store.  Can anyone recommend any sites that
> >discuss this combination?
> >
> >regards
> >/j-p.
> >

> >On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Nick Fankhauser wrote:
> >
> > > As the other folks mentioned, you only need to obtain the .jar file &
> > put it
> > > in your classpath to support jdbc. All the "with jdbc" switch does for you
> > > is to build this file. So- it's easiest to just download the file from
> > > http://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html. If you're just starting, you may
> > > find this web page useful:
> > >
> > > www.fankhausers.com/postgresql/jdbc
> > >
> > > -Nick
> > >

> >-----------------------
> >  JUSTATEST Art Online
> >   www.justatest.com

> >TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command
> >     (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo@postgresql.org)

-----------------------
 JUSTATEST Art Online
  www.justatest.com

Re: NewB: Servlet/cmd:Classpath confusion

От
"Nick Fankhauser"
Дата:
> I tested some basic sample servlets and they're working ok

Are these servlets with JDBC code in them, or just servlets testing Tomcat?

> Nevertheless, even when I run the command line argument to
> specify the classpath, I get the same error.
> Nick mentions problems of this kind for users running Tomcat - as

If you're getting the error when running from the command line, then this
has nothing to do with Tomcat.

The problem that seems to plague many new users of Tomcat is that since
Tomcat runs as a detached process, new developers often forget to add the
jdbc jar file to the classpath for the Tomcat process, or have trouble
figuring out how to do this.

Which line of the code is referenced for the  'NoClassDefFoundError' ?

> Secondly, I'm new to databases - postgreSQL is my first
> experience in this field, and I think I need a 'cheatsheet' on
> psql commands & syntax for beginners (such as SELECT TABLE_NAME

I think there's a brief sql tutorial in the postgresql docs on-line. You
might also want to check out Bruce Momjian's book, which is still on-line in
html: http://www.ca.postgresql.org/docs/aw_pgsql_book/index.html. He has a
gentle intro to SQL in the psql environment.

-Nick

Re: newbB: Howto tell if jdbc is compiled-in?

От
"Mihai Gheorghiu"
Дата:
This message came right on time to avoid putting down the wall with my head
:-(
I could not trace the source of the Broken Pipe message.
RH7.1, jdk1.3.1, TC4.0.1: Broken Pipe
RH7.2, jdk1.4.0-rc, TC4.0.2LE: java.net.SocketException: Socket closed
RH7.2, jdk1.4.0-rc, TC3.2 embedded in NB3.3.1: No error???
I'm using Poolman2.1-b1.
Please share your experiences.
Thank you all.