Обсуждение: ConnectionPoolDataSource submittal

ConnectionPoolDataSource submittal

От
Ned Wolpert
Дата:
Folks-

  I finished an implementation of the ConnectionPoolDataSource that is
functional.  I've included in this email the relavant code (tar, gziped):

  org/postgresql/PostgresqlConnectionPoolDataSource.java
  org/postgresql/psqlProps.properties
  org/postgresql/util/DefaultProperties.java
  org/postgresql/jdbc2/PostgresqlPooledConnection.java

(What is the normal way to send in new files for the driver? Is attachment
prefered?) They are also on my website at
         http://members.home.net/wolpert5/code/
as well.  The only additions left to make is

1) Cleaning thread to close unused connections
2) Wrap objects returned by the connection so errors are caught on that
   level too.
3) Move all exceptions to throw PSQLException rather than SQLException.
   (So they'll use the errors.properties file instead of being hard
   coded.)

I'll do these if people like the code I've submitted.  The code should
function properly, and is fully commented in the relavent areas.  The
DefaultProperties.java class I submited has also been updated; it nolonger

throws exceptions due to read errors, and does not synchronize access to
itself.  Please comment on my submittial, and if I'm going about my
updates
correctly.  (And if you have improvements for my code. :-)

Thanks

=====
Virtually,        |                   "Must you shout too?"
Ned Wolpert       |                                  -Dante
wolpert@yahoo.com |
_________________/              "Who watches the watchmen?"
4e75                                       -Juvenal, 120 AD

-- Place your commercial here --                      fnord

Find a job, post your resume.
http://careers.yahoo.com

Re: ConnectionPoolDataSource submittal

Дата:
I will save this for 7.3:

    http://216.55.132.35/cgi-bin/pgpatches2

> Folks-
>
>   I finished an implementation of the ConnectionPoolDataSource that is
> functional.  I've included in this email the relavant code (tar, gziped):
>
>   org/postgresql/PostgresqlConnectionPoolDataSource.java
>   org/postgresql/psqlProps.properties
>   org/postgresql/util/DefaultProperties.java
>   org/postgresql/jdbc2/PostgresqlPooledConnection.java
>
> (What is the normal way to send in new files for the driver? Is attachment
> prefered?) They are also on my website at
>          http://members.home.net/wolpert5/code/
> as well.  The only additions left to make is
>
> 1) Cleaning thread to close unused connections
> 2) Wrap objects returned by the connection so errors are caught on that
>    level too.
> 3) Move all exceptions to throw PSQLException rather than SQLException.
>    (So they'll use the errors.properties file instead of being hard
>    coded.)
>
> I'll do these if people like the code I've submitted.  The code should
> function properly, and is fully commented in the relavent areas.  The
> DefaultProperties.java class I submited has also been updated; it nolonger
>
> throws exceptions due to read errors, and does not synchronize access to
> itself.  Please comment on my submittial, and if I'm going about my
> updates
> correctly.  (And if you have improvements for my code. :-)
>
> Thanks
>
> =====
> Virtually,        |                   "Must you shout too?"
> Ned Wolpert       |                                  -Dante
> wolpert@yahoo.com |
> _________________/              "Who watches the watchmen?"
> 4e75                                       -Juvenal, 120 AD
>
> -- Place your commercial here --                      fnord

> Find a job, post your resume.
> http://careers.yahoo.com

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

Re: ConnectionPoolDataSource submittal

От
"Dave Cramer"
Дата:
Ned,

I didn't forget about this code, I am waiting until version 7.2 is
released, and then I will commit it to cvs.

DAve

[...]

Дата:

Whoops.  Sorry about that.  I accidently resent my original message. (Didn't
mean to spam the list.)

I have a new update to my classes that I'll send in after 7.2 is released.
If you want, I can send in my new changes this week instead, though.  My
changes include
1) Renamding psqlProps.properties to pgDriver.properties
2) Wrapping each statement so that the driver can catch their errors so
3) Connections are removed in case of error
4) Alittle better pooling
5) Moved exception names into the errors.properties file

So don't hold on to those classes I sent.  Wait for my new ones.

Thanks.

On 03-Dec-2001 Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I will save this for 7.3:
>
>       http://216.55.132.35/cgi-bin/pgpatches2

>> Folks-
>>
>>   I finished an implementation of the ConnectionPoolDataSource that is
>> functional.  I've included in this email the relavant code (tar, gziped):
>>
>>   org/postgresql/PostgresqlConnectionPoolDataSource.java
>>   org/postgresql/psqlProps.properties
>>   org/postgresql/util/DefaultProperties.java
>>   org/postgresql/jdbc2/PostgresqlPooledConnection.java
>>
>> (What is the normal way to send in new files for the driver? Is attachment
>> prefered?) They are also on my website at
>>          http://members.home.net/wolpert5/code/
>> as well.  The only additions left to make is
>>
>> 1) Cleaning thread to close unused connections
>> 2) Wrap objects returned by the connection so errors are caught on that
>>    level too.
>> 3) Move all exceptions to throw PSQLException rather than SQLException.
>>    (So they'll use the errors.properties file instead of being hard
>>    coded.)
>>
>> I'll do these if people like the code I've submitted.  The code should
>> function properly, and is fully commented in the relavent areas.  The
>> DefaultProperties.java class I submited has also been updated; it nolonger
>>
>> throws exceptions due to read errors, and does not synchronize access to
>> itself.  Please comment on my submittial, and if I'm going about my
>> updates
>> correctly.  (And if you have improvements for my code. :-)
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> =====
>> Virtually,        |                   "Must you shout too?"
>> Ned Wolpert       |                                  -Dante
>> wolpert@yahoo.com |
>> _________________/              "Who watches the watchmen?"

Virtually,
Ned Wolpert <ned.wolpert@knowledgenet.com>

D08C2F45:  28E7 56CB 58AC C622 5A51  3C42 8B2B 2739 D08C 2F45

Re: ConnectionPoolDataSource submittal

Дата:
Ned, can get get the newest versions for inclusion in 7.3?

Ned Wolpert wrote:
-- Start of PGP signed section.
> Whoops.  Sorry about that.  I accidently resent my original message. (Didn't
> mean to spam the list.)
>
> I have a new update to my classes that I'll send in after 7.2 is released.
> If you want, I can send in my new changes this week instead, though.  My
> changes include
> 1) Renamding psqlProps.properties to pgDriver.properties
> 2) Wrapping each statement so that the driver can catch their errors so
> 3) Connections are removed in case of error
> 4) Alittle better pooling
> 5) Moved exception names into the errors.properties file
>
> So don't hold on to those classes I sent.  Wait for my new ones.
>
> Thanks.
>

> On 03-Dec-2001 Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > I will save this for 7.3:
> >
> >       http://216.55.132.35/cgi-bin/pgpatches2

> >> Folks-
> >>
> >>   I finished an implementation of the ConnectionPoolDataSource that is
> >> functional.  I've included in this email the relavant code (tar, gziped):
> >>
> >>   org/postgresql/PostgresqlConnectionPoolDataSource.java
> >>   org/postgresql/psqlProps.properties
> >>   org/postgresql/util/DefaultProperties.java
> >>   org/postgresql/jdbc2/PostgresqlPooledConnection.java
> >>
> >> (What is the normal way to send in new files for the driver? Is attachment
> >> prefered?) They are also on my website at
> >>          http://members.home.net/wolpert5/code/
> >> as well.  The only additions left to make is
> >>
> >> 1) Cleaning thread to close unused connections
> >> 2) Wrap objects returned by the connection so errors are caught on that
> >>    level too.
> >> 3) Move all exceptions to throw PSQLException rather than SQLException.
> >>    (So they'll use the errors.properties file instead of being hard
> >>    coded.)
> >>
> >> I'll do these if people like the code I've submitted.  The code should
> >> function properly, and is fully commented in the relavent areas.  The
> >> DefaultProperties.java class I submited has also been updated; it nolonger
> >>
> >> throws exceptions due to read errors, and does not synchronize access to
> >> itself.  Please comment on my submittial, and if I'm going about my
> >> updates
> >> correctly.  (And if you have improvements for my code. :-)
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> =====
> >> Virtually,        |                   "Must you shout too?"
> >> Ned Wolpert       |                                  -Dante
> >> wolpert@yahoo.com |
> >> _________________/              "Who watches the watchmen?"
>

> Virtually,
> Ned Wolpert <ned.wolpert@knowledgenet.com>
>
> D08C2F45:  28E7 56CB 58AC C622 5A51  3C42 8B2B 2739 D08C 2F45 -- End of PGP signed section.

Re: ConnectionPoolDataSource submittal

От
Ned Wolpert
Дата:
Bruce-

  Sure.  I have to do it this weekend.  Note that this contains changes
to the DefaultProperties.java patch that you have planned to go into
7.3, so you might want to hold off on doing that one until I get you the
new code.

On Fri, 2002-02-22 at 12:53, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Ned, can get get the newest versions for inclusion in 7.3?

> Ned Wolpert wrote:
> -- Start of PGP signed section.
> > Whoops.  Sorry about that.  I accidently resent my original message. (Didn't
> > mean to spam the list.)
> >
> > I have a new update to my classes that I'll send in after 7.2 is released.
> > If you want, I can send in my new changes this week instead, though.  My
> > changes include
> > 1) Renamding psqlProps.properties to pgDriver.properties
> > 2) Wrapping each statement so that the driver can catch their errors so
> > 3) Connections are removed in case of error
> > 4) Alittle better pooling
> > 5) Moved exception names into the errors.properties file
> >
> > So don't hold on to those classes I sent.  Wait for my new ones.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> > On 03-Dec-2001 Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > >
> > > I will save this for 7.3:
> > >
> > >       http://216.55.132.35/cgi-bin/pgpatches2
> > >

> > > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

> > Virtually,
> > Ned Wolpert <ned.wolpert@knowledgenet.com>
> >
> > D08C2F45:  28E7 56CB 58AC C622 5A51  3C42 8B2B 2739 D08C 2F45 -- End of PGP signed section.

Virtually,
Ned Wolpert <ned.wolpert@knowledgenet.com>

D08C2F45:  28E7 56CB 58AC C622 5A51  3C42 8B2B 2739 D08C 2F45

Вложения

Re: ConnectionPoolDataSource submittal

Дата:
Ned Wolpert wrote:

Checking application/pgp-signature: FAILURE
-- Start of PGP signed section.
> Bruce-
>
>   Sure.  I have to do it this weekend.  Note that this contains changes
> to the DefaultProperties.java patch that you have planned to go into
> 7.3, so you might want to hold off on doing that one until I get you the
> new code.

OK, let me know how you want it handled.  If a jdbc maintainer will tell
me, I can get your DefaultProperties.java in right away or wait and
discard it.

Re: ConnectionPoolDataSource submittal

От
Ned Wolpert
Дата:
Currently, no one is using DefaultProperties as of yet... I'll be the
first.  The pooled connection uses it mostly.

The only thing in DefaultProperties that I changed was the name of the
property file to be used... I stopped using psqlProps.properties and
changed it to pgsqlDriver.properties instead.  But I figure its easier
to check in the 6 files I've got in one push.

On Fri, 2002-02-22 at 12:57, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Ned Wolpert wrote:
>
> Checking application/pgp-signature: FAILURE
> -- Start of PGP signed section.
> > Bruce-
> >
> >   Sure.  I have to do it this weekend.  Note that this contains changes
> > to the DefaultProperties.java patch that you have planned to go into
> > 7.3, so you might want to hold off on doing that one until I get you the
> > new code.
>
> OK, let me know how you want it handled.  If a jdbc maintainer will tell
> me, I can get your DefaultProperties.java in right away or wait and
> discard it.

Virtually,
Ned Wolpert <ned.wolpert@knowledgenet.com>

D08C2F45:  28E7 56CB 58AC C622 5A51  3C42 8B2B 2739 D08C 2F45

Вложения

Re: ConnectionPoolDataSource submittal

Дата:
OK, original DefaultProperties patch deleted.

Ned Wolpert wrote:

Checking application/pgp-signature: FAILURE
-- Start of PGP signed section.
> Currently, no one is using DefaultProperties as of yet... I'll be the
> first.  The pooled connection uses it mostly.
>
> The only thing in DefaultProperties that I changed was the name of the
> property file to be used... I stopped using psqlProps.properties and
> changed it to pgsqlDriver.properties instead.  But I figure its easier
> to check in the 6 files I've got in one push.
>
> On Fri, 2002-02-22 at 12:57, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Ned Wolpert wrote:
> >
> > Checking application/pgp-signature: FAILURE
> > -- Start of PGP signed section.
> > > Bruce-
> > >
> > >   Sure.  I have to do it this weekend.  Note that this contains changes
> > > to the DefaultProperties.java patch that you have planned to go into
> > > 7.3, so you might want to hold off on doing that one until I get you the
> > > new code.
> >
> > OK, let me know how you want it handled.  If a jdbc maintainer will tell
> > me, I can get your DefaultProperties.java in right away or wait and
> > discard it.
> >
> > --
> >   pgman@candle.pha.pa.us               |  (610) 853-3000
> >   +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  830 Blythe Avenue
> >   +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026
> --
>
> Virtually,
> Ned Wolpert <ned.wolpert@knowledgenet.com>
>
> D08C2F45:  28E7 56CB 58AC C622 5A51  3C42 8B2B 2739 D08C 2F45
-- End of PGP section, PGP failed!

Re: ConnectionPoolDataSource submittal

От
"Dave Cramer"
Дата:
Bruce,

Not much sense putting it in now if Ned is going to change it.

Dave

Checking application/pgp-signature: FAILURE
-- Start of PGP signed section.
> Bruce-
>
>   Sure.  I have to do it this weekend.  Note that this contains
> changes to the DefaultProperties.java patch that you have planned to
> go into 7.3, so you might want to hold off on doing that one until I
> get you the new code.

OK, let me know how you want it handled.  If a jdbc maintainer will tell
me, I can get your DefaultProperties.java in right away or wait and
discard it.

  +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania
19026

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: ConnectionPoolDataSource submittal

От
Sean Alphonse
Дата:
Is there an estimated time when the connection pool driver will be released?

Thanks.

Sean
> Not much sense putting it in now if Ned is going to change it.
>
> Dave

Дата:
It won't be 'released' until 7.3.  Its a new feature, not a bug-fix.
But it will be in CVS soon.  (I didn't get a chance to finish it
yesterday, so I'm going to try tonight.)