Обсуждение: DBD-pg - server closed the connection unexpectedly

DBD-pg - server closed the connection unexpectedly

От
Frank Bax
Дата:
OpenBSD 4.1-beta; pg 8.2.3; p5-DBI-1.53; p5-DBD-Pg-1.47

Here is a portion of my script.  The system() call executes successfully
once, then script crashes.  Any ideas why this would happen.  This script
has run without issue on platform where all above software was older versions.
  my $val='A B C';  my $sql="UPDATE suit_query SET head=?,neck=? WHERE username=? AND qry=?";
$sth=$dbc->prepare($sql); foreach my $h (split(' ',$val)) {    foreach my $n (split(' ',$val)) {      $sth->execute(
"$h%","$n%", $usr, $qry );      $cmd="(date;nice -15 ./suits.pl $dbx $dbn $usr $qry;date)";      print( "$cmd >
txt/$usr.$qry$h$n\n");      system( "$cmd > txt/$usr.$qry$h$n" );    }  }  $dbc->disconnect();

Output from script:

(date;nice -15 ./suits.pl RL fbax Combined 200;date) > txt/Combined.200AA
DBD::Pg::st execute failed: server closed the connection unexpectedlyThis probably means the server terminated
abnormallybeforeor while processing the request.

DBD::Pg::st execute failed: server closed the connection unexpectedlyThis probably means the server terminated
abnormallybeforeor while processing the request.

/suits.pl is a long running script and also accesses pg database through
DBD-pg...

$ grep 2007 txt/Combined.200AA
Fri Mar  2 14:10:04 EST 2007
Sat Mar  3 02:29:34 EST 2007

Re: DBD-pg - server closed the connection unexpectedly

Дата:
Frank Bax <fbax@sympatico.ca> writes:
> Here is a portion of my script.  The system() call executes successfully
> once, then script crashes.  Any ideas why this would happen.

What shows up in the postmaster log?  Can you get a stack trace from the
(presumably) crashing backend?
        regards, tom lane

Re: DBD-pg - server closed the connection unexpectedly

От
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Дата:

Re: DBD-pg - server closed the connection unexpectedly

От
Frank Bax
Дата:
At 03:20 PM 3/7/07, Tom Lane wrote:

>Frank Bax <fbax@sympatico.ca> writes:
> > Here is a portion of my script.  The system() call executes successfully
> > once, then script crashes.  Any ideas why this would happen.
>
>What shows up in the postmaster log?  Can you get a stack trace from the
>(presumably) crashing backend?

Backend is not crashing.  When I looked at log on this busy system, I found
out this version is producing numerous warnings about escape sequences in
other scripts.  I will attempt to clean that up; so I can isolate
messages.  I see a few messages about "unexpected EOF on client
connection"; but I am not certain that they are from my problem script.

I will also try Greg's suggestion about creating a "simple reproducible
test case".

BTW: is there a way to timestamp the messages in log?

Re: DBD-pg - server closed the connection unexpectedly

От
Alvaro Herrera
Frank Bax wrote:

> BTW: is there a way to timestamp the messages in log?

Sure, use %t in log_line_prefix (there is also an escape sequence to get
microseconds, but I forget it).

Re: DBD-pg - server closed the connection unexpectedly

От
Jeff Davis
Дата:
On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 08:44 -0500, Frank Bax wrote:
> At 03:20 PM 3/7/07, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> >Frank Bax <fbax@sympatico.ca> writes:
> > > Here is a portion of my script.  The system() call executes successfully
> > > once, then script crashes.  Any ideas why this would happen.
> >
> >What shows up in the postmaster log?  Can you get a stack trace from the
> >(presumably) crashing backend?
>

> Backend is not crashing.  When I looked at log on this busy system, I found
> out this version is producing numerous warnings about escape sequences in
> other scripts.  I will attempt to clean that up; so I can isolate
> messages.  I see a few messages about "unexpected EOF on client
> connection"; but I am not certain that they are from my problem script.

I had a problem with similar symptoms on FreeBSD where a kernel bug
caused a protocol violation. I am using SSL, and messages like "Host is
down" appeared in the server logs. I'm not sure what exactly happens
when not using SSL.

The problem is described here:

Thanks to AndrewSN for tracking it down originally.

However, you need to post more information to determine the real cause.

Regards,Jeff Davis