Обсуждение: Will there be tar files of separated interfaces?

Will there be tar files of separated interfaces?

От
Oliver Elphick
Дата:
I'm constructing the Debian packages for 7.3 and would like to find
upstream tar files of libpq++, pgperl and pgeasy, so that people
building from source can get the original upstream files (which some
like to do).

There are currently no tar files at gborg.postgresql.org.  Will there be
any?

Isle of Wight, UK
http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver
========================================   "Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his      benefits: Who
forgivethall thine iniquities; who      healeth all thy diseases; Who redeemeth thy life from      destruction; who
crowneththee with lovingkindness and     tender mercies; Who satisfieth thy mouth with good      things; so that thy
youthis renewed like the       eagle's."             Psalms 103:2-5

Re: Will there be tar files of separated interfaces?

Дата:
Oliver Elphick wrote:
> I'm constructing the Debian packages for 7.3 and would like to find
> upstream tar files of libpq++, pgperl and pgeasy, so that people
> building from source can get the original upstream files (which some
> like to do).
>
> There are currently no tar files at gborg.postgresql.org.  Will there be
> any?

I think you need to download the individual CVS files for each
interface.  Some of them have not had an official release yet since
moving to gborg.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: Will there be tar files of separated interfaces?

От
Oliver Elphick
Дата:
On Sat, 2002-11-02 at 03:31, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Oliver Elphick wrote:
> > I'm constructing the Debian packages for 7.3 and would like to find
> > upstream tar files of libpq++, pgperl and pgeasy, so that people
> > building from source can get the original upstream files (which some
> > like to do).
> >
> > There are currently no tar files at gborg.postgresql.org.  Will there be
> > any?
>
> I think you need to download the individual CVS files for each
> interface.  Some of them have not had an official release yet since
> moving to gborg.

Yes, that's what I have done.

They are suffering deprivation from being expelled from the main tree.
I have had to make changes to psqlodbc, perl5 and libpqpp, and to the
src/interfaces/Makefile, to make them compile at all.  For libpqpp, I
had to arbitrarily define HAVE_NAMESPACE_STD and HAVE_CXX_STRING_HEADER,
which were previously defined by configure.

Is it the intention to bring these separate modules up to date before a
final release of 7.3?

Isle of Wight, UK
http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver
========================================   "Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer;      behold, the devil
shallcast some of you into prison,      that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation      ten days; be thou
faithfulunto death, and I will give     thee a crown of life."           Revelation 2:10

Re: Will there be tar files of separated interfaces?

Дата:
Oliver Elphick <olly@lfix.co.uk> writes:
> Is it the intention to bring these separate modules up to date before a
> final release of 7.3?

That would certainly be nice to do.  I don't think any core team members
have the cycles to spare, though.  Any volunteers out there?

In case it's not crystal clear already: part of the reason for pushing
these interfaces out to gborg is to make it possible for them to have
separate maintainers.  If no maintainer(s) step up to tend a particular
interface, it *will* be left to die on the vine.  The core committee
has its hands full dealing with the main distribution.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Will there be tar files of separated interfaces?

От
Patrick Welche
Дата:
On Sat, Nov 02, 2002 at 06:43:52AM +0000, Oliver Elphick wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-11-02 at 03:31, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Oliver Elphick wrote:
> > > I'm constructing the Debian packages for 7.3 and would like to find
> > > upstream tar files of libpq++, pgperl and pgeasy, so that people
> > > building from source can get the original upstream files (which some
> > > like to do).
> > >
> > > There are currently no tar files at gborg.postgresql.org.  Will there be
> > > any?
> >
> > I think you need to download the individual CVS files for each
> > interface.  Some of them have not had an official release yet since
> > moving to gborg.
>
> Yes, that's what I have done.
>
> They are suffering deprivation from being expelled from the main tree.
> I have had to make changes to psqlodbc, perl5 and libpqpp, and to the
> src/interfaces/Makefile, to make them compile at all.  For libpqpp, I
> had to arbitrarily define HAVE_NAMESPACE_STD and HAVE_CXX_STRING_HEADER,
> which were previously defined by configure.
>
> Is it the intention to bring these separate modules up to date before a
> final release of 7.3?

Many of the said projects need to know where libpq and the include files
are. Would it be sensible to create a config/pgsql.m4 file of autoconf
macros that they could use to find them? (Each seems to have its own ideas,
libpq++ seeming not to look at all..)

Next, where do packages tend to install libpq and the include files?
(For me, the default seems to be /usr/local/pgsql/{lib,include}, but for
example libpqxx looks in /usr/lib and /usr/include{,/postgresql} )

Cheers,

Patrick

Re: Will there be tar files of separated interfaces?

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Patrick Welche writes:

> Many of the said projects need to know where libpq and the include files
> are. Would it be sensible to create a config/pgsql.m4 file of autoconf
> macros that they could use to find them?

In general, there is no need to find anything.  If PostgreSQL is installed
in a standard system place, then it should be found automatically.  If it
was installed in some private place, then you don't stand a chance of
finding it anyway.  This is really no different from any other software
package.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net