Обсуждение: odbc on unix

odbc on unix

От
Michael Meskes
Дата:
I just tried to figured out the status of our odbc driver for unix, but I'm
quite confused. There sertainly is a makefile for unix in
pgsql/src/interfaces/odbc but some recent changes I saw looked like windows
odbc only. And what worries me most is that the TODO file in this directory
is dated 1998. So what's the state?

I know that unixodbc works fine with postgresql. Do we still need our own driver
on unix? Or is this just for the Windows branch?

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
Michael@Fam-Meskes.De

Re: odbc on unix

От
Hiroshi Inoue
Дата:
Michael Meskes wrote:

> I just tried to figured out the status of our odbc driver for unix, but I'm
> quite confused. There sertainly is a makefile for unix in
> pgsql/src/interfaces/odbc but some recent changes I saw looked like windows
> odbc only.

The recent changes were made by me mostly and I
have no ODBC environment on *nix. So the changes
are mainly for Windows.

> And what worries me most is that the TODO file in this directory
> is dated 1998. So what's the state?

Probably I'm responsible for maintaining the TODO now.
OK I would update the TODO. Siginificant Items are
1) ODBC 3.0 support.
2) Unicode(UCS-2) support.
3) Updatable cursors support.

> I know that unixodbc works fine with postgresql. Do we still need our own driver
> on unix? Or is this just for the Windows branch?

If the *nix ODBC driver really has no problem we
don't need our own driver.

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue

Re: odbc on unix

Дата:
> > And what worries me most is that the TODO file in this directory
> > is dated 1998. So what's the state?
>
> Probably I'm responsible for maintaining the TODO now.
> OK I would update the TODO. Siginificant Items are
> 1) ODBC 3.0 support.
> 2) Unicode(UCS-2) support.
> 3) Updatable cursors support.

Above added to main TODO.  TODO.txt removed.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: odbc on unix

От
Michael Meskes
Дата:
On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 09:36:16AM +0900, Hiroshi Inoue wrote:
> > I know that unixodbc works fine with postgresql. Do we still need our own driver
> > on unix? Or is this just for the Windows branch?
>
> If the *nix ODBC driver really has no problem we
> don't need our own driver.

The big question is whether there is any Unix environment in which our own
ODBC driver works at all. If it does work somewhere there may be people
using it.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
Michael@Fam-Meskes.De
Go SF 49ers! Go Rhein Fire!
Use Debian GNU/Linux! Use PostgreSQL!

Re: odbc on unix

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Michael Meskes writes:

> I know that unixodbc works fine with postgresql. Do we still need our own driver
> on unix? Or is this just for the Windows branch?

The UnixODBC driver is a fork/branch of the driver we have in our source
tree.  The UnixODBC folks would ideally like to keep it in sync with ours.
Basically, expect our changes to slowly propagate over there.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: odbc on unix

От
"Carl Shelbourne"
Дата:
Chaps

I'm a little concerned about the indifference towards *nix ODBC. People are
using it. We particularly use the unixODBC version.

It seems to me that the ODBC interface is beginning to splinter, with *nix
looking very much like a third class citizen. Of carse its easy for me to
complain, from my point of very little understanding, but from Hiroshi
Inoue  post on  18 Feb:

>> The recent changes were made by me mostly and I  have no ODBC environment on *nix. So the changes are mainly for
Windows.
Is there no way that commited changes can be checked for impact on both communities, ok its good to see development
continuingon the driver, but do

the changes have to be platform specific?

>>If the *nix ODBC driver really has no problem we don't need our own driver.
I'm confused by this. Surely we would want 1 driver that can be compiled on any platform that there is a compliant
drivermanager for?

There is a community of people who are reliant on a strong ODBC interface on *nix.  Should the driver become very
windowscentric I think it would

weaken the position of PG

I'm obviously opening myself up for a torrent of abuse due to my lack of understanding, my comments are not meant to be
aimedat any one person,  but

to highlight my general concern on the comments in this thread...

Carl

------------
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately
byreply e-mail and then delete this message from your system. Do not copy this e-mail or any attachments, use the
contentsfor any purpose, or disclose the contents to any other person: to do so could be a breach of confidence.

Re: odbc on unix

От
Michael Meskes
Дата:
On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 09:05:22AM +0000, Carl Shelbourne wrote:
> I'm confused by this. Surely we would want 1 driver that can be compiled
> on any platform that there is a compliant driver manager for? There is a

Sure, the question we were discussing was if we need the ODBC driver that
comes with PostgreSQL or if the unixODBC driver is as good as our own one.

If, however, the PostgreSQL is more up-to-date as I learned and can be used
with unixODBC I'm all for keeping it.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
Michael@Fam-Meskes.De
Go SF 49ers! Go Rhein Fire!
Use Debian GNU/Linux! Use PostgreSQL!

Re: odbc on unix

Дата:
"Carl Shelbourne" <Carl.Shelbourne@marconi.com> writes:
> I'm a little concerned about the indifference towards *nix ODBC. People are
> using it. We particularly use the unixODBC version.

> It seems to me that the ODBC interface is beginning to splinter, with *nix
> looking very much like a third class citizen. Of carse its easy for me to
> complain, from my point of very little understanding, but from Hiroshi
> Inoue  post on  18 Feb:

> The recent changes were made by me mostly and I  have no ODBC environment on *nix. So the changes are mainly for
Windows.
> Is there no way that commited changes can be checked for impact on both communities, ok its good to see development
continuingon the driver, but do

> the changes have to be platform specific?

Somebody needs to take responsibility for checking the Unix version.
Are you volunteering?

(Hiroshi does quite enough work around here already; if he doesn't want
to run portability checks on the ODBC code, I can hardly blame him.)
        regards, tom lane

Re: odbc on unix

От
"Carl Shelbourne"
Дата:
Tom, Hiroshi ...

I expected these sort of responses, I accept that you guys do *MORE* than
enough, my post was in no way meant to be a personal thing...

I was simply confused/concerned at the statements being made, and was just
trying to raise awareness of the unix camp.

I suppose people in glass houses and all...

Carl

Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> on 19/02/2002 15:01:57

> I'm a little concerned about the indifference towards *nix ODBC. People
are
> using it. We particularly use the unixODBC version.

> It seems to me that the ODBC interface is beginning to splinter, with
*nix
> looking very much like a third class citizen. Of carse its easy for me to
> complain, from my point of very little understanding, but from Hiroshi
> Inoue  post on  18 Feb:

> The recent changes were made by me mostly and I  have no ODBC environment
on *nix. So the changes are mainly for Windows.
> Is there no way that commited changes can be checked for impact on both
communities, ok its good to see development continuing on the driver, but
do
> the changes have to be platform specific?

Somebody needs to take responsibility for checking the Unix version.
Are you volunteering?

(Hiroshi does quite enough work around here already; if he doesn't want
to run portability checks on the ODBC code, I can hardly blame him.)
              regards, tom lane

------------
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately
byreply e-mail and then delete this message from your system. Do not copy this e-mail or any attachments, use the
contentsfor any purpose, or disclose the contents to any other person: to do so could be a breach of confidence.

Re: odbc on unix

От
Michael Meskes
Дата:
On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 10:01:57AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Somebody needs to take responsibility for checking the Unix version.
> Are you volunteering?

While I do not volunteer for anything that looks like it could increase my
workload I did test the 7.2 release. As pointed out by Hiroshi I did
configure our own odbc driver --with-unixodbc and installed it on top of
unixodbc.

And it works like a charm. Since I expect out ODBC code to be more
up-to-date I vote for keeping the unix version. We just have to make sure
we get all additions the unixodbc team might make. After all the Windows
version would profit from that as well.

Michael

--
Michael Meskes
Michael@Fam-Meskes.De
Go SF 49ers! Go Rhein Fire!
Use Debian GNU/Linux! Use PostgreSQL!

Re: odbc on unix

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> The big question is whether there is any Unix environment in which our own
> ODBC driver works at all. If it does work somewhere there may be people
> using it.

Hmm. It used to (and presumably still does). I haven't tried it with
Applixware in some time afaicr...
                  - Thomas