Обсуждение: Smalltalk driver

Smalltalk driver

От
Bruce Badger
Дата:
A Smalltalk driver has been developed for PostgreSQL.  It consists of
two libraries, the driver library is implemented in terms of PostgreSQL
interface concepts (message etc.), and the second library is a mapping
of the driver library to the ViaualWorks EXDI (think of JDBC) interface.

I've included a couple of example of the libraries being used below.

What steps need to be taken to get these Smalltalk libraries listed on
the PostgreSQL web site?

Thanks.   Bruce Badger

-------------------------------------
Code examples

Using the driver layer ...
| parameterSet connection result |parameterSet := ConnectionParameterSet new.parameterSet  host: '192.168.12.12';
port:5432; databaseName:

'test1'; userName: 'bbadger'.connection := PostgreSQLConnection using: parameterSet.connection executeQuery: 'create
tabletest04 (a int2, b int2)'.connection executeQuery: 'insert into test04 values (1, 1)'.connection executeQuery:
'insertinto test04 values (2, 1)'.connection executeQuery: 'insert into test04 values (3, 1)'.result := connection
executeQuery:'select a, b from test04'.connection executeQuery: 'drop table test04'.connection close.^result

Using the EXDI layer ...
| connection session |connection := PostgreSQLEXDIConnection new.connection username: 'bbadger'; environment:
'192.168.12.12_test1'.connectionconnect.session := connection getSession.session prepare: 'INSERT INTO exdiTest06
(name,phone) VALUES(?, ?)'.#(#('Curly' 'x47') #('Moe' 'x29') #('Larry' 'x83')) do: [:entry |

session bindInput: entry; execute; answer].connection disconnect.^self

Re: Smalltalk driver

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> A Smalltalk driver has been developed for PostgreSQL.

Great!

> What steps need to be taken to get these Smalltalk libraries listed on
> the PostgreSQL web site?

The main Postgres distribution ships several drivers. Would this be a
candidate for inclusion? I'm not sure how it builds or what it would
take, but if it could be done, and if there is a Smalltalk environment
available for, say, our Linux RPM builder guy, then we could include the
driver in the RPM distro.

In any case, to cross-reference your existing driver from the main
Postgres web site, we just need the details: URL reference, developer's
name, etc etc or perhaps you could include all that in a short intro
which we might be able to use verbatim.
                     - Thomas

Re: Smalltalk driver

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> > A Smalltalk driver has been developed for PostgreSQL.
>
> Great!
>
> > What steps need to be taken to get these Smalltalk libraries listed on
> > the PostgreSQL web site?

Where is the driver now?

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from
$16.00/moat Pop4 Networking       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop
Superstore   http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: Smalltalk driver

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, bruce_badger wrote:

> The libraries are currently slated to be released under the LGPL.  I
> understand that PostgreSQL is under a BSD license, so would the use of
> LGPL for the Smalltalk stuff be a problem?
>
> The libraries take the form of "parcels".  These are files which can be
> loaded into either development or run-time VisualWorks "images" (running
> Smalltalk environments.  Once in an image, the classes in the library are
> available for use, typically by application classes.  A non-commercial
> version of visualworks can be downloaded from here:
>    http://www.cincom.com/smalltalk/vwdownload.asp.

Can you give me a quick 2-3 line description?

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from
$16.00/moat Pop4 Networking       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop
Superstore   http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: Smalltalk driver

От
bruce_badger
Дата:
As of today, the library is on my machine, and the machines of two
reviewers in the Smalltalk community (perhaps more if they've handed it
on).

I'm on the verge of letting comp.lang.smalltalk know about the driver, so
that should increase the number of copies out there quite a bit :-)

I'll send you a copy, if you wish.  You'll need to install VisualWorks
5i.1 NC to use it.

All the best,Bruce

On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, Thomas Lockhart wrote:
>
> > > A Smalltalk driver has been developed for PostgreSQL.
> >
> > Great!
> >
> > > What steps need to be taken to get these Smalltalk libraries listed on
> > > the PostgreSQL web site?
>
> Where is the driver now?
>
> Vince.
> Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net
>  128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking
>         Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com
>        Online Giftshop Superstore    http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: Smalltalk driver

От
bruce_badger
Дата:
A 2-3 line description:

The VisualWorks EXDI is a core API of the VisualWorks Smalltalk
development environment.  It provides a standard set of interfaces to
SQL-compliant databases.  The PosgreSQL Smalltalk driver + EXDI interface
libarries provide an EXDI implementation for VisualWorks programmers
wishing to access PostgreSQL databases.

Is this the kind of thing you had in mind?

Re: Smalltalk driver

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, bruce_badger wrote:

> A 2-3 line description:
>
> The VisualWorks EXDI is a core API of the VisualWorks Smalltalk
> development environment.  It provides a standard set of interfaces to
> SQL-compliant databases.  The PosgreSQL Smalltalk driver + EXDI interface
> libarries provide an EXDI implementation for VisualWorks programmers
> wishing to access PostgreSQL databases.
>
> Is this the kind of thing you had in mind?

Perfect.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from
$16.00/moat Pop4 Networking       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop
Superstore   http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: Smalltalk driver

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
what license does this fall under?  if BSD, is this something that would
make sense in including in our interfaces directory of our distribution?

On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, bruce_badger wrote:

> As of today, the library is on my machine, and the machines of two
> reviewers in the Smalltalk community (perhaps more if they've handed it
> on).
>
> I'm on the verge of letting comp.lang.smalltalk know about the driver, so
> that should increase the number of copies out there quite a bit :-)
>
> I'll send you a copy, if you wish.  You'll need to install VisualWorks
> 5i.1 NC to use it.
>
> All the best,
>     Bruce

> > > Great!

> > Where is the driver now?
> >
> > Vince.
> > --
> > ==========================================================================
> > Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net
> >  128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking
> >         Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com
> >        Online Giftshop Superstore    http://www.cloudninegifts.com
> > ==========================================================================

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: Smalltalk driver

От
bruce_badger
Дата:
At the momemt we're thinking of the LGPL - would this be a problem?

On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> what license does this fall under?  if BSD, is this something that would
> make sense in including in our interfaces directory of our distribution?
>

> On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, bruce_badger wrote:
>
> > As of today, the library is on my machine, and the machines of two
> > reviewers in the Smalltalk community (perhaps more if they've handed it
> > on).
> >
> > I'm on the verge of letting comp.lang.smalltalk know about the driver, so
> > that should increase the number of copies out there quite a bit :-)
> >
> > I'll send you a copy, if you wish.  You'll need to install VisualWorks
> > 5i.1 NC to use it.
> >
> > All the best,
> >     Bruce

> > > Where is the driver now?
> > >
> > > Vince.
> > > --
> > > ==========================================================================
> > > Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net
> > >  128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking
> > >         Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com
> > >        Online Giftshop Superstore    http://www.cloudninegifts.com
> > > ==========================================================================
> > >

> Marc G. Fournier                   ICQ#7615664               IRC Nick: Scrappy
> Systems Administrator @ hub.org
> primary: scrappy@hub.org           secondary: scrappy@{freebsd|postgresql}.org

Re: Smalltalk driver

От
bruce_badger
Дата:
The libraries are currently slated to be released under the LGPL.  I
understand that PostgreSQL is under a BSD license, so would the use of
LGPL for the Smalltalk stuff be a problem?

The libraries take the form of "parcels".  These are files which can be
loaded into either development or run-time VisualWorks "images" (running
Smalltalk environments.  Once in an image, the classes in the library are
available for use, typically by application classes.  A non-commercial
version of visualworks can be downloaded from here:  http://www.cincom.com/smalltalk/vwdownload.asp.

The same parcels can be used regardles of where the image is being run -
currently the non-commercial version of VisualWorks runs on Windoze and
Linux (commercial versions also run on Solaris, HPUX, Mac etc..).

Currently, I have the parcels in tar file, and you are most welcome to the
current version.  "Installing" the libraries simply means putting them on
the target machine such that they can be loaded (read) by a running
VisualWorks image.  Once loaded the libraries will be rready for use -
there are test methods that can be run to check that everything works.

The project page is here:  http://wiki.cs.uiuc.edu/VisualWorks/PostgreSQL+EXDI

What next?

All the best,Bruce