Обсуждение: Academic help for Postgres

Academic help for Postgres

Дата:
I am giving a keynote at an IEEE database conference in Helsinki next
week (http://icde2016.fi/).  (Yes, I am not attending PGCon Ottawa
because I accepted the Helsinki conference invitation before the PGCon
Ottawa date was changed from June to May).

As part of the keynote, I would like to mention areas where academia can
help us.  The topics I can think of are:
Query optimizationOptimizer statisticsIndexing structuresReducing function call overheadCPU
localitySortingParallelismSharding

Any others?

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: Academic help for Postgres

От
Oleg Bartunov
Дата:
On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 5:20 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> I am giving a keynote at an IEEE database conference in Helsinki next
> week (http://icde2016.fi/).  (Yes, I am not attending PGCon Ottawa
> because I accepted the Helsinki conference invitation before the PGCon
> Ottawa date was changed from June to May).
>
> As part of the keynote, I would like to mention areas where academia can
> help us.  The topics I can think of are:
>
>         Query optimization
>         Optimizer statistics
>         Indexing structures
>         Reducing function call overhead
>         CPU locality
>         Sorting
>         Parallelism
>         Sharding
>
> Any others?

machine learning  for adaptive planning
distributed stuff

> --
>   Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>        http://momjian.us
>   EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com
>
> + As you are, so once was I. As I am, so you will be. +
> +                     Ancient Roman grave inscription +

Re: Academic help for Postgres

От
Konstantin Knizhnik

On 11.05.2016 17:20, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I am giving a keynote at an IEEE database conference in Helsinki next
> week (http://icde2016.fi/).  (Yes, I am not attending PGCon Ottawa
> because I accepted the Helsinki conference invitation before the PGCon
> Ottawa date was changed from June to May).
>
> As part of the keynote, I would like to mention areas where academia can
> help us.  The topics I can think of are:
>
>     Query optimization
>     Optimizer statistics
>     Indexing structures
>     Reducing function call overhead
>     CPU locality
>     Sorting
>     Parallelism
>     Sharding
>
> Any others?

Incremental materialized views?

--
Konstantin Knizhnik
The Russian Postgres Company

Re: Academic help for Postgres

Дата:
On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 05:24:44PM +0300, Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 5:20 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> > As part of the keynote, I would like to mention areas where academia can
> > help us.  The topics I can think of are:
> >
> >         Query optimization
> >         Optimizer statistics
> >         Indexing structures
> >         Reducing function call overhead
> >         CPU locality
> >         Sorting
> >         Parallelism
> >         Sharding
> >
> > Any others?
>
> machine learning  for adaptive planning

Do these fall in the "Query optimization" item?  Does that need
different text?

> distributed stuff

Oh, yes, distributed transactions.  Good.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: Academic help for Postgres

Дата:
On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 05:31:10PM +0300, Konstantin Knizhnik wrote:

> On 11.05.2016 17:20, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >I am giving a keynote at an IEEE database conference in Helsinki next
> >week (http://icde2016.fi/).  (Yes, I am not attending PGCon Ottawa
> >because I accepted the Helsinki conference invitation before the PGCon
> >Ottawa date was changed from June to May).
> >
> >As part of the keynote, I would like to mention areas where academia can
> >help us.  The topics I can think of are:
> >
> >    Query optimization
> >    Optimizer statistics
> >    Indexing structures
> >    Reducing function call overhead
> >    CPU locality
> >    Sorting
> >    Parallelism
> >    Sharding
> >
> >Any others?
> >
> Incremental materialized views?

I don't know.  Is that something academics would research?

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: Academic help for Postgres

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
On 11/05/16 17:32, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 05:31:10PM +0300, Konstantin Knizhnik wrote:
>> On 11.05.2016 17:20, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>> I am giving a keynote at an IEEE database conference in Helsinki next
>>> week (http://icde2016.fi/).  (Yes, I am not attending PGCon Ottawa
>>> because I accepted the Helsinki conference invitation before the PGCon
>>> Ottawa date was changed from June to May).
>>>
>>> As part of the keynote, I would like to mention areas where academia can
>>> help us.  The topics I can think of are:
>>>
>>>     Query optimization
>>>     Optimizer statistics
>>>     Indexing structures
>>>     Reducing function call overhead
>>>     CPU locality
>>>     Sorting
>>>     Parallelism
>>>     Sharding
>>>
>>> Any others?
>>>
>> Incremental materialized views?
>
> I don't know.  Is that something academics would research?

Absolutely! There are plenty of papers on how to keep materialized views
up-to-date.

- Heikki

On 11.05.2016 17:32, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 05:31:10PM +0300, Konstantin Knizhnik wrote:
>>
>> On 11.05.2016 17:20, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>> I am giving a keynote at an IEEE database conference in Helsinki next
>>> week (http://icde2016.fi/).  (Yes, I am not attending PGCon Ottawa
>>> because I accepted the Helsinki conference invitation before the PGCon
>>> Ottawa date was changed from June to May).
>>>
>>> As part of the keynote, I would like to mention areas where academia can
>>> help us.  The topics I can think of are:
>>>
>>>     Query optimization
>>>     Optimizer statistics
>>>     Indexing structures
>>>     Reducing function call overhead
>>>     CPU locality
>>>     Sorting
>>>     Parallelism
>>>     Sharding
>>>
>>> Any others?
>>>
>> Incremental materialized views?
> I don't know.  Is that something academics would research?

I am not sure.
There is definitely a question which views can be incrementally
recalculated and which inductive extension has to be constructed to make
it possible. If you google for "incremental materialized views phd", you
will get a larger number of references to articles.
But I do not know if all question in this area are already closed or not...

--
Konstantin Knizhnik
The Russian Postgres Company

Re: Academic help for Postgres

Дата:
On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 05:41:21PM +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> On 11/05/16 17:32, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> >>Incremental materialized views?
> >
> >I don't know.  Is that something academics would research?
>
> Absolutely! There are plenty of papers on how to keep materialized views
> up-to-date.

Oh, OK. I will add it.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: Academic help for Postgres

От
Kevin Grittner
Дата:
On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 9:32 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 05:31:10PM +0300, Konstantin Knizhnik wrote:

>> Incremental materialized views?
>
> I don't know.  Is that something academics would research?

One paper I have found particularly good is this:

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.31.3208

Tantalizingly, there is mention that there is a longer version of
the paper, but I have been unable to find it.  There is enough in
this paper, I think, to fill in the blanks and do a much better job
with implementation than any ad hoc approach is likely to manage,
but if there is anything that extends this work (or subsequent work
which seems to be an improvement) that would be great.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: Academic help for Postgres

От
Kohei KaiGai
Дата:
> I am giving a keynote at an IEEE database conference in Helsinki next
> week (http://icde2016.fi/).  (Yes, I am not attending PGCon Ottawa
> because I accepted the Helsinki conference invitation before the PGCon
> Ottawa date was changed from June to May).
>
> As part of the keynote, I would like to mention areas where academia can
> help us.  The topics I can think of are:
>
>         Query optimization
>         Optimizer statistics
>         Indexing structures
>         Reducing function call overhead
>         CPU locality
>         Sorting
>         Parallelism
>         Sharding
>
> Any others?

How about NVRAM utilization?

--
KaiGai Kohei <kaigai@kaigai.gr.jp>

Re: Academic help for Postgres

От
Josh berkus
Дата:
On 05/11/2016 07:54 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 05:41:21PM +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

>>> I don't know.  Is that something academics would research?
>>
>> Absolutely! There are plenty of papers on how to keep materialized views
>> up-to-date.
>
> Oh, OK. I will add it.

Together with that, automated substitution of materialized views for
query clauses.

Also: optimizing for new hardware, like persistent memory.

Josh Berkus
Red Hat OSAS
(any opinions are my own)

Re: Academic help for Postgres

От
Christopher Browne
Дата:
Together with that, automated substitution of materialized views for
query clauses.

Also: optimizing for new hardware, like persistent memory.

I recently saw some material in ACM SIGOPS on tuning filesystems to play better with some of the new sorts of storage

An interesting such article was thus... <http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2819002>  The idea of it was to research better ways of doing hash table updates with PCM (Phase Change Memory) which apparently may be up-and-coming but with fairly different write characteristics than we're used to.  You essentially write a fairly large page at a time, and can only do limited numbers of updates to any given page.
That encourages things like log-structured filesystems, but with further efforts to reduce there being "hot spots."

The paper was focused on hash tables; if the hardware turns out to be important, it'll also be important to have better variations on B-trees.

Re: Academic help for Postgres

От
Gavin Flower
Дата:
On 12/05/16 02:20, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I am giving a keynote at an IEEE database conference in Helsinki next
> week (http://icde2016.fi/).  (Yes, I am not attending PGCon Ottawa
> because I accepted the Helsinki conference invitation before the PGCon
> Ottawa date was changed from June to May).
>
> As part of the keynote, I would like to mention areas where academia can
> help us.  The topics I can think of are:
>
>     Query optimization
>     Optimizer statistics
>     Indexing structures
>     Reducing function call overhead
>     CPU locality
>     Sorting
>     Parallelism
>     Sharding
>
> Any others?

optimization of performance under very heavy loads    ranging from almost all reads to almost all writes/updates, &
otherusage profiles    single box, and multiple boxen

large numbers of CPU's
most efficient use of SSD's
best use of insanely large amounts of RAM

optimization of handling arrays & JSON structures

Cheers,
Gavin

Re: Academic help for Postgres

От
Craig Ringer
Дата:
On 11 May 2016 at 22:20, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
I am giving a keynote at an IEEE database conference in Helsinki next
week (http://icde2016.fi/).  (Yes, I am not attending PGCon Ottawa
because I accepted the Helsinki conference invitation before the PGCon
Ottawa date was changed from June to May).

As part of the keynote, I would like to mention areas where academia can
help us.  The topics I can think of are:

[snip]

Any others?

When publishing work, publish source code somewhere stable that won't just vanish. And build on the latest stable release, don't build your prototype on Pg 8.0. Don't just publish a tarball with no information about what revision it's based on, publish a git tree or a patch series.

While academic prototype source is rarely usable directly, it can serve a valuable role with helping to understand the changes that were made, reproducing results, exploring further related work, etc

Include your dummy data or data generators, setup scripts, etc.

Re: Academic help for Postgres

От
Rajeev rastogi
Дата:
On 11 May 2016 19:50, Bruce Momjian Wrote:

>I am giving a keynote at an IEEE database conference in Helsinki next
>week (http://icde2016.fi/).  (Yes, I am not attending PGCon Ottawa
>because I accepted the Helsinki conference invitation before the PGCon
>Ottawa date was changed from June to May).
>
>As part of the keynote, I would like to mention areas where academia can
>help us.  The topics I can think of are:
>
>    Query optimization
>    Optimizer statistics
>    Indexing structures
>    Reducing function call overhead
>    CPU locality
>    Sorting
>    Parallelism
>    Sharding
>
>Any others?

How about?
1. Considering NUMA aware architecture.
2. Optimizer tuning as per new hardware trends.
3. More effective version of Join algorithms (e.g. Compare to traditional "build and then probe" mechanism of Hash
Join,now there is pipelining Hash join where probe and build both happens together).

Thanks and Regards,
Kumar Rajeev Rastogi

Re: Academic help for Postgres

От
Craig Ringer
Дата:
On 12 May 2016 at 11:16, Rajeev rastogi <rajeev.rastogi@huawei.com> wrote:

>Any others?

GPU offload.

Some work on that already got done as part of the AXLE project, but there's still a lot more to do to get anything that can be usefully integrated into Pg.

This likely ties in with batching work, since without batching it's unlikely you can get much benefit from GPU offload.

Re: Academic help for Postgres

От
konstantin knizhnik
Дата:

Interesting article about optimal joins: http://arxiv.org/pdf/1203.1952v1.pdf

> Thanks and Regards,
> Kumar Rajeev Rastogi

Re: Academic help for Postgres

От
Michael Banck
Дата:
On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 08:57:34AM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On 11 May 2016 at 22:20, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> > I am giving a keynote at an IEEE database conference in Helsinki next
> > week (http://icde2016.fi/).  (Yes, I am not attending PGCon Ottawa
> > because I accepted the Helsinki conference invitation before the PGCon
> > Ottawa date was changed from June to May).
> >
> > As part of the keynote, I would like to mention areas where academia can
> > help us.  The topics I can think of are:
> >
> > Any others?
> >

> When publishing work, publish source code somewhere stable that won't just
> vanish. And build on the latest stable release, don't build your prototype
> on Pg 8.0. Don't just publish a tarball with no information about what
> revision it's based on, publish a git tree or a patch series.
>
> While academic prototype source is rarely usable directly, it can serve a
> valuable role with helping to understand the changes that were made,
> reproducing results, exploring further related work, etc
>
> Include your dummy data or data generators, setup scripts, etc.

That is all sound advise, but if they do all of the above, then they
should also make sure the source (or parts of it) is potentially usable
by the project, i.e. (joint?) PGDG copyright, if their academic
institution allows that.

Michael

Re: Academic help for Postgres

Дата:
On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 09:47:02AM +0200, Michael Banck wrote:
> On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 08:57:34AM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> > On 11 May 2016 at 22:20, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> > > I am giving a keynote at an IEEE database conference in Helsinki next
> > > week (http://icde2016.fi/).  (Yes, I am not attending PGCon Ottawa
> > > because I accepted the Helsinki conference invitation before the PGCon
> > > Ottawa date was changed from June to May).
> > >
> > > As part of the keynote, I would like to mention areas where academia can
> > > help us.  The topics I can think of are:
> > >
> > > Any others?
> > >

> > When publishing work, publish source code somewhere stable that won't just
> > vanish. And build on the latest stable release, don't build your prototype
> > on Pg 8.0. Don't just publish a tarball with no information about what
> > revision it's based on, publish a git tree or a patch series.
> >
> > While academic prototype source is rarely usable directly, it can serve a
> > valuable role with helping to understand the changes that were made,
> > reproducing results, exploring further related work, etc
> >
> > Include your dummy data or data generators, setup scripts, etc.
>
> That is all sound advise, but if they do all of the above, then they
> should also make sure the source (or parts of it) is potentially usable
> by the project, i.e. (joint?) PGDG copyright, if their academic
> institution allows that.

I have incorporated suggestions from this email thread into my IEEE talk
for next week:
http://momjian.us/main/writings/pgsql/ieee.pdf

You will see most of it in the new slides toward the end.  Please let me
know if it needs more additions/changes.  Thanks.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: Academic help for Postgres

От
Thomas Munro
Дата:
On Sat, May 14, 2016 at 7:13 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> I have incorporated suggestions from this email thread into my IEEE talk
> for next week:
>
>         http://momjian.us/main/writings/pgsql/ieee.pdf
>
> You will see most of it in the new slides toward the end.  Please let me
> know if it needs more additions/changes.  Thanks.

Maybe slide 7 (NoSQL Sacrifices) should have a bullet point for
"transaction isolation"?

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com