Обсуждение: Packaging of postgresql-jdbc

Packaging of postgresql-jdbc

От
Pavel Kajaba
Дата:
Hello pg-hackers,

I need advice about postgresql-jdbc driver.

Current version in Fedora is behind latest version of postgresql-jdbc (1200 vs 1207).

We are trying to package latest version into Fedora, but there are dependencies, which are not useless in Fedora
(waffle-jna)and ones which we are not 100% open source (osgi-enterprise). We talked with upstream quite intensively but
notbeen able to find any solution which would meet our requirements.

We think that it's not a good, when open-source project depending on packages, which licence is not 100% clear.

Do you have any ideas how we could solve this problem?

It's quite easy to remove it but it's not best solutions because there is a chance that with each release we would have
towork on removing. (Gentoo is doing this way : https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/dev-java/jdbc-postgresql
)

Other distros seem to have similar problem (https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libpgjava).
We will be thankful for any idea.

Pavel Kajaba

Re: Packaging of postgresql-jdbc

От
Craig Ringer
Дата:
I need advice about postgresql-jdbc driver.

Current version in Fedora is behind latest version of postgresql-jdbc (1200 vs 1207).

We are trying to package latest version into Fedora, but there are dependencies, which are not useless in Fedora (waffle-jna)

Which *are* useless in Fedora. I know that was just an editing mistake. It's a library used in PgJDBC for windows SSPI support.

I don't really see the problem here. If your packaging policy prevents you from incorporating it, patch it out. It's use is simple, self-contained and already optional.

and ones which we are not 100% open source (osgi-enterprise). We talked with upstream quite intensively but not been able to find any solution which would meet our requirements.

... which you should probably outline here, because otherwise nobody  will understand the problem.

We think that it's not a good, when open-source project depending on packages, which licence is not 100% clear.

Well, frankly, that's Java. So long as they're soft-dependencies I really don't care.

Re: Packaging of postgresql-jdbc

От
Pavel Raiskup
Дата:
Oh, Pavel probably forgot to CC pgjdbc, fixing.

Forwarded message from Craig Ringer:
====================================
On 16 February 2016 at 20:15, Pavel Kajaba <pkajaba@redhat.com> wrote:
> Hello pg-hackers,
>
> I need advice about postgresql-jdbc driver.
>
> Current version in Fedora is behind latest version of postgresql-jdbc
> (1200 vs 1207).
>
> We are trying to package latest version into Fedora, but there are
> dependencies, which are not useless in Fedora (waffle-jna)

Which *are* useless in Fedora. I know that was just an editing mistake.
It's a library used in PgJDBC for windows SSPI support.

I don't really see the problem here. If your packaging policy prevents you
from incorporating it, patch it out. It's use is simple, self-contained and
already optional.

> and ones which we are not 100% open source (osgi-enterprise). We talked
> with upstream quite intensively but not been able to find any solution
> which would meet our requirements.

... which you should probably outline here, because otherwise nobody  will
understand the problem.

> We think that it's not a good, when open-source project depending on
> packages, which licence is not 100% clear.

Well, frankly, that's Java. So long as they're soft-dependencies I really
don't care.

Re: Packaging of postgresql-jdbc

От
Dave Cramer

[...]

I've already explained the JDBC position here.

There is an impedance mismatch between the java ecosystem and distros.

We have moved to maven as have most other java projects.

As Craig said, if you want to build it, patch it out, and create a ant/Makefile to make the jar.

Re: [JDBC] Packaging of postgresql-jdbc

Дата:
Pavel Raiskup <praiskup@redhat.com> writes:
> Oh, Pavel probably forgot to CC pgjdbc, fixing.

In fact, this is completely off-topic for pgsql-hackers, please confine
the discussion to pgsql-jdbc.

            regards, tom lane