Обсуждение: VMs for Reviewers Available

VMs for Reviewers Available

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Folks,

In order to make sure that nobody is prevented from reviewing due to not
having a suitable development environment available, the PostgreSQL
community is offering free virtual machines for reviewing and testing
patches for this CommitFest.

If you want a VM for this purpose, please email me the following at any
point during the CF:

1. Your public key.

2. Which patch you intend to review/test.

3. Preference for CentOS or Ubuntu.

4. When you expect to do the review.

Since these are EC2 virtual servers, they will NOT be suitable for
performance testing.  However, if you want to review a replication
patch, we can make multiple VMs available.  All VMs will be terminated
at the end of the CF.

VMs will come equipped with all tools required to build PostgreSQL, plus
a checkout of the PostgreSQL code from the beginning of the CF.  You may
need to install additional requirements if you are reviewing extensions
or special features with dependancies.

Note that I may take a day to respond with your VM access.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: VMs for Reviewers Available

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
> 3. Preference for CentOS or Ubuntu.

Windows VMs are also available, but I don't have the ability to
preconfigure them with tools.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
http://pgexperts.com

Re: VMs for Reviewers Available

От
Peter Geoghegan
Дата:
On Sat, Sep 21, 2013 at 3:35 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Windows VMs are also available, but I don't have the ability to
> preconfigure them with tools.

Wasn't there an EC2 image doing the rounds that Magnus created, that
took care of all of that for you?

http://blog.hagander.net/archives/151-Testing-PostgreSQL-patches-on-Windows-using-Amazon-EC2.html

I'm not sure how current it is - was this before or after we started
shipping our own WinFlex? Magnus?

--
Peter Geoghegan

Re: VMs for Reviewers Available

От
Andrew Dunstan
Дата:
On 09/21/2013 06:48 PM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 21, 2013 at 3:35 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>> Windows VMs are also available, but I don't have the ability to
>> preconfigure them with tools.
> Wasn't there an EC2 image doing the rounds that Magnus created, that
> took care of all of that for you?
>
> http://blog.hagander.net/archives/151-Testing-PostgreSQL-patches-on-Windows-using-Amazon-EC2.html
>
> I'm not sure how current it is - was this before or after we started
> shipping our own WinFlex? Magnus?

There is really no longer any need to use our WinFlex. Just use the flex
that comes with MSysGit - it works perfectly well, and you only need
flex if you're building from git anyway.

cheers

andrew

Re: VMs for Reviewers Available

От
Jaime Casanova
Дата:
OnSat, Sep 21, 2013 at 3:35 PM, Josh Berkus <<a href="mailto:josh@agliodbs.com">josh@agliodbs.com</a>> wrote:<br
/>>>><br /> >>> Windows VMs are also available, but I don't have the ability to<br /> >>>
preconfigurethem with tools.<br /> >><br /> >> Wasn't there an EC2 image doing the rounds that Magnus
href="http://blog.hagander.net/archives/151-Testing-PostgreSQL-patches-on-Windows-using-Amazon-EC2.html">http://blog.hagander.net/archives/151-Testing-PostgreSQL-patches-on-Windows-using-Amazon-EC2.html</a><br
/>>><br /> >> I'm not sure how current it is - was this before or after we started<br /> >> shipping
WinFlex.Just use the flex that comes with MSysGit - it works perfectly well, and you only need flex if you're building
machinescome with msys (and flex)? not always our reviewers know how to install those tools<p>--<br /> Jaime
Casanova<br/> 2ndQuadrant: Your PostgreSQL partner

Re: VMs for Reviewers Available

От
Andrew Dunstan
Дата:
On 09/21/2013 10:48 PM, Jaime Casanova wrote:

> El 21/09/2013 18:09, "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew@dunslane.net
> <mailto:andrew@dunslane.net>> escribió:
> >

> > On 09/21/2013 06:48 PM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:

> >> Wasn't there an EC2 image doing the rounds that Magnus created, that
> >> took care of all of that for you?
> >>

> http://blog.hagander.net/archives/151-Testing-PostgreSQL-patches-on-Windows-using-Amazon-EC2.html
> >>
> >> I'm not sure how current it is - was this before or after we started
> >> shipping our own WinFlex? Magnus?
> >>

> > There is really no longer any need to use our WinFlex. Just use the
> flex that comes with MSysGit - it works perfectly well, and you only
> need flex if you're building from git anyway.
> >

> If you're reviewing patches you're probably compiling from git.
>
> those win machines come with msys (and flex)? not always our reviewers
> know how to install those tools

It's do0cumented on the wiki - see
<http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Building_With_MinGW>

cheers