Обсуждение: CREATE EVENT TRIGGER syntax

CREATE EVENT TRIGGER syntax

От
Joe Abbate
Дата:
Hello,

What is the purpose of the [ AND ... ] at the end of the WHEN clause?
Is that for later releases, when presumably additional filter_variables
will be introduced?  Right now, if I add "AND tag IN ..." I get an

ERROR:  filter variable "tag" specified more than once

Joe

Re: CREATE EVENT TRIGGER syntax

От
Dimitri Fontaine
Дата:
Joe Abbate <jma@freedomcircle.com> writes:
> What is the purpose of the [ AND ... ] at the end of the WHEN clause?
> Is that for later releases, when presumably additional filter_variables
> will be introduced?  Right now, if I add "AND tag IN ..." I get an

Yes. I had other filter variables in some versions of the patch, but
we're yet to agree on a design for the things I wanted to solve with
them.

See http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/m2txrsdzxa.fsf@2ndQuadrant.fr
for some worked out example of the CONTEXT part of the Event Trigger
proposal.

Dimitri Fontaine

Re: CREATE EVENT TRIGGER syntax

Дата:
On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 05:12:16PM -0700, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
> Joe Abbate <jma@freedomcircle.com> writes:
> > What is the purpose of the [ AND ... ] at the end of the WHEN clause?
> > Is that for later releases, when presumably additional filter_variables
> > will be introduced?  Right now, if I add "AND tag IN ..." I get an
>
> Yes. I had other filter variables in some versions of the patch, but
> we're yet to agree on a design for the things I wanted to solve with
> them.
>
> See http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/m2txrsdzxa.fsf@2ndQuadrant.fr
> for some worked out example of the CONTEXT part of the Event Trigger
> proposal.

So do we want to keep that "AND" in the 9.3beta and 9.4 documentation?

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: CREATE EVENT TRIGGER syntax

От
Dimitri Fontaine
Дата:
> So do we want to keep that "AND" in the 9.3beta and 9.4 documentation?

The grammar as in gram.y still allows the AND form, and I think we're
used to maintain documentation that matches the code here. So I think it
makes sense to remove both capabilities as we failed to deliver any
other filter.

But if we wanted to clean that, what about having the grammar check for
the only one item we support rather than waiting until into
CreateEventTrigger() to ereport a syntax error?

--
Dimitri Fontaine

Re: CREATE EVENT TRIGGER syntax

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 4:53 PM, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri@2ndquadrant.fr> wrote:
>> So do we want to keep that "AND" in the 9.3beta and 9.4 documentation?
>
> The grammar as in gram.y still allows the AND form, and I think we're
> used to maintain documentation that matches the code here. So I think it
> makes sense to remove both capabilities as we failed to deliver any
> other filter.
>
> But if we wanted to clean that, what about having the grammar check for
> the only one item we support rather than waiting until into
> CreateEventTrigger() to ereport a syntax error?

I have found that it's generally better to recognize such errors in
the post-parse phase rather than during parsing.  When you start
adding more options, that tends to quickly become the only workable
option anyway.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: CREATE EVENT TRIGGER syntax

Дата:
On Fri, Aug  9, 2013 at 09:12:03AM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 4:53 PM, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri@2ndquadrant.fr> wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> writes:
> >> So do we want to keep that "AND" in the 9.3beta and 9.4 documentation?
> >
> > The grammar as in gram.y still allows the AND form, and I think we're
> > used to maintain documentation that matches the code here. So I think it
> > makes sense to remove both capabilities as we failed to deliver any
> > other filter.
> >
> > But if we wanted to clean that, what about having the grammar check for
> > the only one item we support rather than waiting until into
> > CreateEventTrigger() to ereport a syntax error?
>
> I have found that it's generally better to recognize such errors in
> the post-parse phase rather than during parsing.  When you start
> adding more options, that tends to quickly become the only workable
> option anyway.

OK, so I am assuming there is no additional work to do this area.  Thanks.

http://enterprisedb.com
 + Everyone has their own god. +