Обсуждение: SP-GIST docs and examples

SP-GIST docs and examples

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
I know Oleg has been discussing quad trees for years now, so SP-GIST
sounds like a great feature.

The docs on SP-GIST simply suggest people read the code, which is way
below our normal standard of documentation.

CREATE INDEX contains no examples involving SP-GIST indexes.

It seems likely that the first thing a user will ask is When can I use
it? How do I create one? When should I use it in comparison with
existing methods?

ISTM that if we mention this as a major feature in 9.2, and I think we
should, that there should be something more about these in the shared
docs.

Re: SP-GIST docs and examples

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
I know Oleg has been discussing quad trees for years now, so SP-GIST
sounds like a great feature.

The docs on SP-GIST simply suggest people read the code, which is way
below our normal standard of documentation.

It's the same we have for normal GiST indexes, no? It's under "internals", I think it's ok in there.

CREATE INDEX contains no examples involving SP-GIST indexes.

It seems likely that the first thing a user will ask is When can I use
it? How do I create one? When should I use it in comparison with
existing methods?

This is the problem though - it only has internals documentation, and no end-user documentation.

Not sure GiST has that much end-user documentation either. And it is included in things like the FTI docs.

ISTM that if we mention this as a major feature in 9.2, and I think we
should, that there should be something more about these in the shared
docs.

+1, it should definitely get some more docs if possible.

//Magnus

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Re: SP-GIST docs and examples

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 5:19 AM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> I know Oleg has been discussing quad trees for years now, so SP-GIST
> sounds like a great feature.
>
> The docs on SP-GIST simply suggest people read the code, which is way
> below our normal standard of documentation.

I completely agree.  The GIN and GIST documentation are pretty
deficient as well.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: SP-GIST docs and examples

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
On 7 June 2012 12:52, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 5:19 AM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> I know Oleg has been discussing quad trees for years now, so SP-GIST
>> sounds like a great feature.
>>
>> The docs on SP-GIST simply suggest people read the code, which is way
>> below our normal standard of documentation.
>
> I completely agree.  The GIN and GIST documentation are pretty
> deficient as well.

Didn't Andrew Gierth volunteer to help rewrite those some time back?
Maybe nudge him about it again.

--
Thom

Re: SP-GIST docs and examples

От
Oleg Bartunov
Дата:
On Thu, 7 Jun 2012, Thom Brown wrote:

> On 7 June 2012 12:52, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 5:19 AM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>>> I know Oleg has been discussing quad trees for years now, so SP-GIST
>>> sounds like a great feature.
>>>
>>> The docs on SP-GIST simply suggest people read the code, which is way
>>> below our normal standard of documentation.
>>
>> I completely agree.  The GIN and GIST documentation are pretty
>> deficient as well.
>
> Didn't Andrew Gierth volunteer to help rewrite those some time back?
> Maybe nudge him about it again.

Oh, please !

    Regards,        Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83