Re: SP-GIST docs and examples

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: SP-GIST docs and examples
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thursday, June 7, 2012, Simon Riggs wrote:
I know Oleg has been discussing quad trees for years now, so SP-GIST
sounds like a great feature.

The docs on SP-GIST simply suggest people read the code, which is way
below our normal standard of documentation.

It's the same we have for normal GiST indexes, no? It's under "internals", I think it's ok in there.

CREATE INDEX contains no examples involving SP-GIST indexes.

It seems likely that the first thing a user will ask is When can I use
it? How do I create one? When should I use it in comparison with
existing methods?

This is the problem though - it only has internals documentation, and no end-user documentation.

Not sure GiST has that much end-user documentation either. And it is included in things like the FTI docs.

ISTM that if we mention this as a major feature in 9.2, and I think we
should, that there should be something more about these in the shared
docs.

+1, it should definitely get some more docs if possible.

//Magnus

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/