Обсуждение: proposal: additional error fields

proposal: additional error fields

От
Pavel Stehule
Дата:
Hello

I have to goals for 9.3. First goal is plpgsql_check_function, second
goal is enhancing ErrorData and error management to support new
fields: COLUMN_NAME, CONSTRAINT_NAME, CONSTRAINT_SCHEMA, SCHEMA_NAME,
TABLE_NAME, ROUTINE_NAME, ROUTINE_SCHEMA, TRIGGER_NAME and
TRIGGER_SCHEMA

previous discussion  is in thread
http://postgresql.1045698.n5.nabble.com/patch-for-9-2-enhanced-errors-td4470837.html

COLUMN_NAME - contains missing or inaccessible column name or empty string
CONSTRAINT_NAME - a name of constraint caused error
CONSTRAINT_SCHEMA - a name of schema where constraint is defined -
usually same as table schema in PostgreSQL
SCHEMA_NAME - schema name of table that caused exception
ROUTINE_NAME, ROUTINE_SCHEMA name and schema of function that caused
exception - this doesn't mean function where exception was raised
TABLE_NAME - a name of table that caused exception
TRIGGER_NAME, TRIGGER_SCHEMA - name and schema of trigger that caused exception

attached patch is redesigned previous version - actually it supports
constraints and RI only

second patch will be related to plpgsql enhancing to use these error fields.

Regards

Pavel

Вложения

Re: proposal: additional error fields

От
Peter Geoghegan
Дата:
On 1 May 2012 13:21, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
> COLUMN_NAME - contains missing or inaccessible column name or empty string
> CONSTRAINT_NAME - a name of constraint caused error
> CONSTRAINT_SCHEMA - a name of schema where constraint is defined -
> usually same as table schema in PostgreSQL
> SCHEMA_NAME - schema name of table that caused exception
> ROUTINE_NAME, ROUTINE_SCHEMA name and schema of function that caused
> exception - this doesn't mean function where exception was raised
> TABLE_NAME - a name of table that caused exception
> TRIGGER_NAME, TRIGGER_SCHEMA - name and schema of trigger that caused exception

I'm strongly in favour of this. Certainly, the need to translate an
error into a domain-specific error message within the application is a
common one, and there's currently no well-principled way to do so,
certainly not across locales. What I'd also like to see, which is
something that I've agitated about in the past without much luck, is
for a new severity level, along the lines of a "severe error".  The
idea of this is to make a representation that the error in question is
one that the DBA should reasonably hope to never see. That is quite
distinct from the nature of what usually form the large majority of
errors - routine integrity constraint violations and things like that.
Do you suppose you could incorporate this into your design?

It would be nice if in addition to this, a domain-specific error
message could be specified within the database, associated with each
constraint, but I suppose that the details of the API would require a
great deal of bike shedding.

Re: proposal: additional error fields

От
Pavel Stehule
Дата:
2012/5/1 Peter Geoghegan <peter@2ndquadrant.com>:
> On 1 May 2012 13:21, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
>> COLUMN_NAME - contains missing or inaccessible column name or empty string
>> CONSTRAINT_NAME - a name of constraint caused error
>> CONSTRAINT_SCHEMA - a name of schema where constraint is defined -
>> usually same as table schema in PostgreSQL
>> SCHEMA_NAME - schema name of table that caused exception
>> ROUTINE_NAME, ROUTINE_SCHEMA name and schema of function that caused
>> exception - this doesn't mean function where exception was raised
>> TABLE_NAME - a name of table that caused exception
>> TRIGGER_NAME, TRIGGER_SCHEMA - name and schema of trigger that caused exception
>
> I'm strongly in favour of this. Certainly, the need to translate an
> error into a domain-specific error message within the application is a
> common one, and there's currently no well-principled way to do so,
> certainly not across locales.

yes, this is reason why I wrote this patch. Additional benefit is
significantly richer exception data model, that can be used for PL

What I'd also like to see, which is
> something that I've agitated about in the past without much luck, is
> for a new severity level, along the lines of a "severe error".  The
> idea of this is to make a representation that the error in question is
> one that the DBA should reasonably hope to never see. That is quite
> distinct from the nature of what usually form the large majority of
> errors - routine integrity constraint violations and things like that.
> Do you suppose you could incorporate this into your design?

I don't understand well, can you explain it.

I don't plan to solve more issues in one patch, but it can be
inspiration for next work.

Regards

Pavel

> It would be nice if in addition to this, a domain-specific error
> message could be specified within the database, associated with each
> constraint, but I suppose that the details of the API would require a
> great deal of bike shedding.
>
> --
> Peter Geoghegan       http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
> PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training and Services

Re: proposal: additional error fields

От
Peter Geoghegan
Дата:
On 1 May 2012 14:01, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
> What I'd also like to see, which is
>> something that I've agitated about in the past without much luck, is
>> for a new severity level, along the lines of a "severe error".  The
>> idea of this is to make a representation that the error in question is
>> one that the DBA should reasonably hope to never see. That is quite
>> distinct from the nature of what usually form the large majority of
>> errors - routine integrity constraint violations and things like that.
>> Do you suppose you could incorporate this into your design?
>
> I don't understand well, can you explain it.

Alright. Table 18-1 describes current severity levels:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/runtime-config-logging.html#RUNTIME-CONFIG-SEVERITY-LEVELS

Currently the following informal categories of error are bunched
together at ERROR severity:

* Integrity constraint violations
* Very serious situations, like running out of disk space
* Serious disasters that often relate to hardware failure, like "xlog
flush request %X/%X is not satisfied --- flushed only to %X/%X"
* Errors that if seen relate to a bug within PostgreSQL, with obscure
error messages, as from most of the elog calls within the planner, for
example.

The first category of error is something that the DBA will often see
very frequently. The latter 3 are situations which I'd like to be
woken up in the middle of the night to respond to. We ought to be
facilitating monitoring tools (including very simple ones like grep),
so that they can make this very important practical distinction. The
hard part is replacing the severity level of many existing
elog/ereport call sites, but that's not much of a problem, really.

Re: proposal: additional error fields

Дата:
Peter Geoghegan <peter@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> Currently the following informal categories of error are bunched
> together at ERROR severity:

> * Integrity constraint violations
> * Very serious situations, like running out of disk space
> * Serious disasters that often relate to hardware failure, like "xlog
> flush request %X/%X is not satisfied --- flushed only to %X/%X"
> * Errors that if seen relate to a bug within PostgreSQL, with obscure
> error messages, as from most of the elog calls within the planner, for
> example.

> The first category of error is something that the DBA will often see
> very frequently. The latter 3 are situations which I'd like to be
> woken up in the middle of the night to respond to. We ought to be
> facilitating monitoring tools (including very simple ones like grep),
> so that they can make this very important practical distinction. The
> hard part is replacing the severity level of many existing
> elog/ereport call sites, but that's not much of a problem, really.

The last time you complained about this I suggested that looking at
SQLSTATE would resolve most of your concern.  Have you pursued that
angle?

I'm not at all excited about inventing more kinds of "error" severity.
For one thing, the fact that ERROR is the only severity level that
results in a longjmp is known in more places than you might think,
not all of them in the core code.  For another, this would result in a
protocol break -- that is, an incompatibility, not just more fields --
in the FE/BE ErrorResponse message.
        regards, tom lane

Re: proposal: additional error fields

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
Peter Geoghegan <peter@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Currently the following informal categories of error are bunched
> together at ERROR severity:
>
> * Integrity constraint violations
> * Very serious situations, like running out of disk space
> * Serious disasters that often relate to hardware failure, like
> "xlog flush request %X/%X is not satisfied --- flushed only to
> %X/%X"
> * Errors that if seen relate to a bug within PostgreSQL, with
> obscure error messages, as from most of the elog calls within the
> planner, for example.
You forgot a few:
* Syntax errors in submitted statements.
* State-related errors, like trying to execute VACUUM in a
transaction or trying to UPDATE a row in a READ ONLY transaction.
* Serialization failures.
* RAISE EXCEPTION from inside a function; often because of a
validation in a BEFORE trigger function.  If you tilt your head just
right you can see these as constraint violations, but I think it is
different enough to deserve specific mention.
* Violations of security policy.
* Loss of connection to a client.

I'm sure I didn't cover them all, but the wide variety of causes
should be recognized when considering a change like adding a new
severity level.  The fact is, these all are (or at least *should
be*) coded with a SQLSTATE to classify the nature of the problem.
Adding one more severity level forces us to examine every class of
error and determine whether it should be promoted to "severe".
Perhaps a better solution would be to allow some filtering of error
SQLSTATE values to determine what action is taken?  Changes would be
more localized, and it would provide greater flexibility.
The comments earlier in the thread about this helping translation
don't make sense to me.  In what way would a new severity level help
with that?
-Kevin

Re: proposal: additional error fields

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 8:21 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have to goals for 9.3. First goal is plpgsql_check_function, second
> goal is enhancing ErrorData and error management to support new
> fields: COLUMN_NAME, CONSTRAINT_NAME, CONSTRAINT_SCHEMA, SCHEMA_NAME,
> TABLE_NAME, ROUTINE_NAME, ROUTINE_SCHEMA, TRIGGER_NAME and
> TRIGGER_SCHEMA
>
> previous discussion  is in thread
> http://postgresql.1045698.n5.nabble.com/patch-for-9-2-enhanced-errors-td4470837.html

I have some concerns about the performance cost of this.  Now, you may
think that this is a dumb thing to be concerned about, but some
testing I've done seems to indicate that MOST of the cost of rolling
back a subtransaction is the cost of generating the error string, and
this is why PL/pgsql exception blocks are slow, and I actually do
think that the slowness of PL/pgsql exception blocks is a real issue
for users.  It certainly has been for me, in the past.  So adding 9
more fields that will have to be populated on every error whether
someone cares about them or not is a little scary to me.  If, on the
other hand, we can arrange to generate these fields only when they'll
be used, that would be a lot more appealing, and obviously we might be
able to apply the same technique to the error message itself, which
would be neat, too.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: proposal: additional error fields

От
Peter Geoghegan
Дата:
On 1 May 2012 14:55, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> The last time you complained about this I suggested that looking at
> SQLSTATE would resolve most of your concern.  Have you pursued that
> angle?

Sure, I did consider that at the time.

I think that a new severity level (equivalent to ERROR in all but
name) is warranted to make a representation that certain errors are
more severe than the bulk of ERRORs seen in real production systems,
that do not warrant being treated as FATAL or PANIC. Leaving aside the
practical implications, it seems likely that many will agree that a
new severity level is at least intuitively the most natural way to do
so. Another consideration is that it seems unlikely that many elog
call sites will ever be replaced by ereport calls, that specify an
SQLSTATE . As it says in the docs:

"Any message that is likely to be of interest to ordinary users should
go through ereport. Nonetheless, there are enough internal "can't
happen" error checks in the system that elog is still widely used; it
is preferred for those messages for its notational simplicity."

Certainly, the "xlog flush request not satisfied" example is a simple
elog call, as are many other bellwethers of data corruption.

What if the user doesn't specify %e in their log_line_prefix (most
don't)? What hope have they then? You might counter "they can add that
if they're interested", but who isn't interested in nipping serious
problems in the bud? Yes, we ought to be somewhat paternalistically
forcing users to take notice of severe problems by drawing their
attention to them using special terminology. Besides, SQLSTATE doesn't
attempt to classify errors by severity, but merely characterises them
as belonging to some subsystem, or some broad category of error. Sure,
some of these are unambiguously serious, like disk_full or
data_corrupted, but others clearly straddle between being errors and
severe errors, like internal_error. Besides, who wants to go to the
trouble of enumerating all known severe SQLSTATE codes when grepping
for such a simple requirement?

> I'm not at all excited about inventing more kinds of "error" severity.
> For one thing, the fact that ERROR is the only severity level that
> results in a longjmp is known in more places than you might think,
> not all of them in the core code.  For another, this would result in a
> protocol break -- that is, an incompatibility, not just more fields --
> in the FE/BE ErrorResponse message.

I don't think that bumping the protocol version is necessarily that
big of a deal. Certainly, it wouldn't be very difficult to make the
new version of the protocol compatible with the old - SEVERE_ERROR
will simply act as an alias for ERROR there.

Maybe no one is convinced by any of this, but the fact is that the
SQLSTATE argument falls down when one considers that we aren't using
it in many cases of errors that clearly are severe. I draw a very
strong practical distinction between errors that are a serious
problem, that I need to worry about, and errors that are routine. To
my mind it's a pity that Postgres doesn't similarly draw this
distinction, even if that does imply that there will be a certain
amount of grey area.

Re: proposal: additional error fields

От
Pavel Stehule
Дата:
2012/5/1 Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 8:21 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have to goals for 9.3. First goal is plpgsql_check_function, second
>> goal is enhancing ErrorData and error management to support new
>> fields: COLUMN_NAME, CONSTRAINT_NAME, CONSTRAINT_SCHEMA, SCHEMA_NAME,
>> TABLE_NAME, ROUTINE_NAME, ROUTINE_SCHEMA, TRIGGER_NAME and
>> TRIGGER_SCHEMA
>>
>> previous discussion  is in thread
>> http://postgresql.1045698.n5.nabble.com/patch-for-9-2-enhanced-errors-td4470837.html
>
> I have some concerns about the performance cost of this.  Now, you may
> think that this is a dumb thing to be concerned about, but some
> testing I've done seems to indicate that MOST of the cost of rolling
> back a subtransaction is the cost of generating the error string, and
> this is why PL/pgsql exception blocks are slow, and I actually do
> think that the slowness of PL/pgsql exception blocks is a real issue
> for users.  It certainly has been for me, in the past.  So adding 9
> more fields that will have to be populated on every error whether
> someone cares about them or not is a little scary to me.  If, on the
> other hand, we can arrange to generate these fields only when they'll
> be used, that would be a lot more appealing, and obviously we might be
> able to apply the same technique to the error message itself, which
> would be neat, too.

yes, it can has impact and I have to do some performance tests. But
usually almost fields are NULL - and in typical use case are 2, 4, or
5 fields non empty. More - just copy string is used - so it is
relative fast. Other possibility is preallocation, because all fields
are limited by MAXNAMELEN. Same trick we can use for SQLSTATE variable

create table ff(a int not null);

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION public.fx()RETURNS voidLANGUAGE plpgsql
AS $function$
begin for i in 1..100000 loop   begin     insert into ff values(null);   exception when others then     /* do nothing
*/  end; end loop;
end;
$function$

this is most worst case - 5 fields more

patched 1500 ms
master   1380 ms

so this is about 8% slowdown for unoptimized code where any statement
was raised. Any other statement in loop decrease slowdown to half and
usually not all statements will raise exception. I think so there are
some possibility haw to optimize it - minimize palloc calls

Regards

Pavel

> --
> Robert Haas
> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: proposal: additional error fields

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 12:02 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have some concerns about the performance cost of this.  Now, you may
>> think that this is a dumb thing to be concerned about, but some
>> testing I've done seems to indicate that MOST of the cost of rolling
>> back a subtransaction is the cost of generating the error string, and
>> this is why PL/pgsql exception blocks are slow, and I actually do
>> think that the slowness of PL/pgsql exception blocks is a real issue
>> for users.  It certainly has been for me, in the past.  So adding 9
>> more fields that will have to be populated on every error whether
>> someone cares about them or not is a little scary to me.  If, on the
>> other hand, we can arrange to generate these fields only when they'll
>> be used, that would be a lot more appealing, and obviously we might be
>> able to apply the same technique to the error message itself, which
>> would be neat, too.
>
> yes, it can has impact and I have to do some performance tests. But
> usually almost fields are NULL - and in typical use case are 2, 4, or
> 5 fields non empty. More - just copy string is used - so it is
> relative fast. Other possibility is preallocation, because all fields
> are limited by MAXNAMELEN. Same trick we can use for SQLSTATE variable
>
> create table ff(a int not null);
>
> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION public.fx()
>  RETURNS void
>  LANGUAGE plpgsql
> AS $function$
> begin
>  for i in 1..100000
>  loop
>    begin
>      insert into ff values(null);
>    exception when others then
>      /* do nothing */
>    end;
>  end loop;
> end;
> $function$
>
> this is most worst case - 5 fields more
>
> patched 1500 ms
> master   1380 ms
>
> so this is about 8% slowdown for unoptimized code where any statement
> was raised. Any other statement in loop decrease slowdown to half and
> usually not all statements will raise exception. I think so there are
> some possibility haw to optimize it - minimize palloc calls

Yeah.  I also noticed in my benchmarking that sprintf() seemed to be
very slow, to the point where I wondered whether we ought to have our
own minimal version of sprintf() just for error strings.

Another idea would be to pass a flag indicating whether the context
that's going to receive the error cares about the additional flags.
If not, we can skip generating the information.  Not sure how much
that helps, but maybe...

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: proposal: additional error fields

От
Pavel Stehule

> Yeah.  I also noticed in my benchmarking that sprintf() seemed to be
> very slow, to the point where I wondered whether we ought to have our
> own minimal version of sprintf() just for error strings.
>
> Another idea would be to pass a flag indicating whether the context
> that's going to receive the error cares about the additional flags.
> If not, we can skip generating the information.  Not sure how much
> that helps, but maybe...

complex solution can take time that we can get by sprintf elimination.

some special flags for block can be solution, that can change a behave
of err* functions. Usually we need only SQLSTATE and this can be
minimized.

maybe pl option

create or replace function foo()
returns .. as $$
#option light_exception
begin ...

in this case, only SQLSTATE should be valid. A implementation should
not be hard - but we really need it?

there is oprofile report for bad case:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION public.fx()RETURNS voidLANGUAGE plpgsql
AS $function$
declare a int = 0; begin for i in 1..100000 loop   begin     perform 1/ (a - (i % 1));   exception when others then
/*do nothing */   end; end loop;
end;
$function$

5871     10.2975  postgres                 AllocSetAlloc
4472      7.8437  postgres                 MemoryContextAllocZeroAligned
2570      4.5077  postgres                 MemoryContextAlloc
2031      3.5623  postgres                 AllocSetFree
1940      3.4027  postgres                 SearchCatCache
1906      3.3430  postgres                 expand_fmt_string.clone.0
1535      2.6923  postgres                 copyObject
1241      2.1767  postgres                 fmgr_info_cxt_security
1058      1.8557  postgres                 MemoryContextCreate
1057      1.8539  postgres                 ExecInitExpr
1050      1.8417  postgres                 simplify_function
968       1.6978  postgres                 pfree
965       1.6926  postgres                 check_stack_depth
812       1.4242  postgres                 _copyList.clone.20
801       1.4049  postgres                 hash_seq_search
777       1.3628  postgres                 eval_const_expressions_mutator
662       1.1611  postgres                 expression_tree_mutator
591       1.0366  postgres                 expression_tree_walker

and good case

postgres=# create or replace function fx()
returns void as $$
declare a int = 1; begin for i in 1..100000 loop   begin     perform 1/ (a - (i % 1));   exception when others then
/*do nothing */   end; end loop;
end;
$$ language plpgsql;

7916     10.1067  postgres                 AllocSetAlloc
5956      7.6043  postgres                 MemoryContextAllocZeroAligned
3339      4.2631  postgres                 MemoryContextAlloc
2581      3.2953  postgres                 SearchCatCache
2348      2.9978  postgres                 copyObject
2176      2.7782  postgres                 AllocSetFree
1643      2.0977  postgres                 MemoryContextCreate
1488      1.8998  postgres                 ExecInitExpr
1438      1.8360  postgres                 grouping_planner
1285      1.6406  postgres                 check_stack_depth
1224      1.5627  postgres                 fmgr_info_cxt_security
1094      1.3968  postgres                 pfree
1044      1.3329  postgres                 _copyList.clone.20
1030      1.3151  postgres                 eval_const_expressions_mutator
939       1.1989  postgres                 expression_tree_walker
938       1.1976  postgres                 simplify_function
889       1.1350  postgres                 AllocSetDelete
836       1.0674  postgres                 subquery_planner
834       1.0648  postgres                 expression_tree_mutator

I don't see a errmsg or errdetail there - the most expensive is
expand_fmt_string with 3%

Regards

Pavel

> --
> Robert Haas
> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: proposal: additional error fields

От
Peter Geoghegan
Дата:
On 1 May 2012 17:22, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah.  I also noticed in my benchmarking that sprintf() seemed to be
> very slow, to the point where I wondered whether we ought to have our
> own minimal version of sprintf() just for error strings.

Which sprintf()? You're probably aware that we already have a memset
replacement, MemSet, and indeed we even have a pg_sprintf(). Without
saying that we shouldn't do that, I'd caution against it. I use glibc
2.14.90, and for example my system's memcpy is implemented with
various optimisation that are only applicable to the architecture of
my system - SSE3 optimisations. A quick google throws up
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/libc-alpha/2010-01/msg00016.html .

Ditto every other architecture (most of these are from a recent
revision of glibc from SCM):

[peter@peterlaptop ~]$ locate memcpy.S
/home/peter/glibc/sysdeps/i386/i586/memcpy.S
/home/peter/glibc/sysdeps/i386/i686/memcpy.S
/home/peter/glibc/sysdeps/i386/i686/multiarch/memcpy.S
/home/peter/glibc/sysdeps/ia64/memcpy.S
/home/peter/glibc/sysdeps/powerpc/powerpc32/a2/memcpy.S
/home/peter/glibc/sysdeps/powerpc/powerpc32/cell/memcpy.S
/home/peter/glibc/sysdeps/powerpc/powerpc32/power4/memcpy.S
/home/peter/glibc/sysdeps/powerpc/powerpc32/power6/memcpy.S
/home/peter/glibc/sysdeps/powerpc/powerpc32/power7/memcpy.S
/home/peter/glibc/sysdeps/powerpc/powerpc64/memcpy.S
/home/peter/glibc/sysdeps/powerpc/powerpc64/a2/memcpy.S
/home/peter/glibc/sysdeps/powerpc/powerpc64/cell/memcpy.S
/home/peter/glibc/sysdeps/powerpc/powerpc64/power4/memcpy.S
/home/peter/glibc/sysdeps/powerpc/powerpc64/power6/memcpy.S
/home/peter/glibc/sysdeps/powerpc/powerpc64/power7/memcpy.S
/home/peter/glibc/sysdeps/s390/s390-32/memcpy.S
/home/peter/glibc/sysdeps/s390/s390-64/memcpy.S
/home/peter/glibc/sysdeps/sh/memcpy.S
/home/peter/glibc/sysdeps/sparc/sparc32/memcpy.S
/home/peter/glibc/sysdeps/sparc/sparc32/sparcv9/memcpy.S
/home/peter/glibc/sysdeps/sparc/sparc32/sparcv9/multiarch/memcpy.S
/home/peter/glibc/sysdeps/sparc/sparc64/memcpy.S
/home/peter/glibc/sysdeps/sparc/sparc64/multiarch/memcpy.S
/home/peter/glibc/sysdeps/x86_64/memcpy.S
/home/peter/glibc/sysdeps/x86_64/multiarch/memcpy.S
/home/peter/llvm/projects/compiler-rt/lib/arm/aeabi_memcpy.S
/usr/src/debug/glibc-2.14-394-g8f3b1ff/sysdeps/x86_64/memcpy.S
/usr/src/debug/glibc-2.14-394-g8f3b1ff/sysdeps/x86_64/multiarch/memcpy.S

Re: proposal: additional error fields

От
Noah Misch
Дата:
On Tue, May 01, 2012 at 02:19:16PM +0100, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> Currently the following informal categories of error are bunched
> together at ERROR severity:
>
> * Integrity constraint violations
> * Very serious situations, like running out of disk space
> * Serious disasters that often relate to hardware failure, like "xlog
> flush request %X/%X is not satisfied --- flushed only to %X/%X"
> * Errors that if seen relate to a bug within PostgreSQL, with obscure
> error messages, as from most of the elog calls within the planner, for
> example.
>
> The first category of error is something that the DBA will often see
> very frequently. The latter 3 are situations which I'd like to be
> woken up in the middle of the night to respond to. We ought to be
> facilitating monitoring tools (including very simple ones like grep),
> so that they can make this very important practical distinction. The
> hard part is replacing the severity level of many existing
> elog/ereport call sites, but that's not much of a problem, really.

I agree that some means to mechanically distinguish these cases would
constitute a significant boon for admin monitoring.  Note, however, that the
same split appears at other severity levels:

FATAL, routine: terminating connection due to conflict with recovery
FATAL, critical: incorrect checksum in control file
WARNING, routine: nonstandard use of escape in a string literal
WARNING, critical: locallock table corrupted

We'd be adding at least three new severity levels to cover the necessary
messages by this approach.

Re: proposal: additional error fields

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Excerpts from Noah Misch's message of mar may 01 15:36:22 -0400 2012:
> On Tue, May 01, 2012 at 02:19:16PM +0100, Peter Geoghegan wrote:

> > The first category of error is something that the DBA will often see
> > very frequently. The latter 3 are situations which I'd like to be
> > woken up in the middle of the night to respond to. We ought to be
> > facilitating monitoring tools (including very simple ones like grep),
> > so that they can make this very important practical distinction. The
> > hard part is replacing the severity level of many existing
> > elog/ereport call sites, but that's not much of a problem, really.
>
> I agree that some means to mechanically distinguish these cases would
> constitute a significant boon for admin monitoring.  Note, however, that the
> same split appears at other severity levels:
>
> FATAL, routine: terminating connection due to conflict with recovery
> FATAL, critical: incorrect checksum in control file
> WARNING, routine: nonstandard use of escape in a string literal
> WARNING, critical: locallock table corrupted
>
> We'd be adding at least three new severity levels to cover the necessary
> messages by this approach.

So maybe a new severity is not the answer -- perhaps a separate error
data field, say "criticality" (just to give it a name).  ereport() could
be labeled by default with routine (low) criticality, or a new macro
errcritical(ERRCRIT_HIGH) could set it higher (which we would introduce
manually in the right places); while elog() would have high criticality
by default except for DEBUG messages (maybe we'd need a new macro
elog_routine() for messages with a higher severity than DEBUG that do
not need to be marked as critical).

So in the log we could end up with noncritical messages being displayed
as today, and critical ones with a new tag:

FATAL:  terminating connection due to conflict with recovery
FATAL:  CRITICAL: incorrect checksum in control file

or something like that.

Re: proposal: additional error fields

Дата:
Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> writes:
> I agree that some means to mechanically distinguish these cases would
> constitute a significant boon for admin monitoring.  Note, however, that the
> same split appears at other severity levels:

> FATAL, routine: terminating connection due to conflict with recovery
> FATAL, critical: incorrect checksum in control file
> WARNING, routine: nonstandard use of escape in a string literal
> WARNING, critical: locallock table corrupted

> We'd be adding at least three new severity levels to cover the necessary
> messages by this approach.

The reason why this is a problem is that the severity level is simply
the wrong thing for this.  Really, there are four severity levels in
elog.c, and what they have to do with is the post-error path of control:
NOTICE: return to callerERROR:  longjmp to someplace that can recoverFATAL:    end the sessionPANIC:    crash, forcing
database-widerestart

We haven't done ourselves any favors by conflating a log-verbosity
setting, which is what the subflavors of NOTICE really are, with this
fundamental path-of-control issue.  Adding subflavors of ERROR isn't
going to make that better.

To make matters worse, the severity level for a given error condition
is not fixed, but can be context sensitive; for instance we sometimes
promote ERROR to FATAL or PANIC if the backend's state is such that
normal error recovery is inappropriate or possibly unsafe.  Not to
mention the numerous places that actually have logic to decide which
severity level to report to begin with.

So to do what Peter wants by means of severity levels, we'd need the
same subflavors of FATAL and PANIC as well, which gets out of hand
really quickly from a maintenance standpoint, and makes the scheme not
nearly as user-friendly or easy to understand as he hopes, anyway.
(Now it's possible that you could get away with lumping all PANICs
into one "sound the alarms" category, but this is surely not the case
for FATAL.  Unless you want to be gotten out of bed anytime somebody
fat-fingers their username or password.)

I continue to maintain that the SQLSTATE is a much better basis for
solving this problem.  Its categories are already pretty close to
what Peter needs: basically, IIUC, he wants to know about classes
53, 58, maybe F0, and XX.  We might wish to move a small number of
messages from one category to another to make the boundaries a bit
clearer, but that would be vastly less painful for both implementors
and users than inventing multiple new severity levels.
        regards, tom lane

Re: proposal: additional error fields

От
Peter Geoghegan
Дата:
On 1 May 2012 20:36, Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> wrote:
> I agree that some means to mechanically distinguish these cases would
> constitute a significant boon for admin monitoring.  Note, however, that the
> same split appears at other severity levels:
>
> FATAL, routine: terminating connection due to conflict with recovery
> FATAL, critical: incorrect checksum in control file
> WARNING, routine: nonstandard use of escape in a string literal
> WARNING, critical: locallock table corrupted
>
> We'd be adding at least three new severity levels to cover the necessary
> messages by this approach.

Good point. It might make sense to have an orthogonal property - call
it magnitude - and have that specified alongside the existing severity
levels. However, there's really no point in bothering if all of the
existing elog calls are let off the hook. Someone would need to go
around and assign a value to every existing single elog and ereport
callsite, with the exisiting elog macro signature incrementally
deprecated. Furthermore, I'd support changing the definition of
log_line_prefix within postgresql.conf.sample to include this new
property by default.

This feature will only be a boon to admin monitoring if it's actually
something that there is a reasonable expectation of finding on most or
all Postgres production systems in all circumstances.

Re: proposal: additional error fields

Дата:
Peter Geoghegan <peter@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> Maybe no one is convinced by any of this, but the fact is that the
> SQLSTATE argument falls down when one considers that we aren't using
> it in many cases of errors that clearly are severe.

The reason that argument isn't convincing is that we *are* using a
SQLSTATE for every such message; it's just defaulted to XX000.  AFAICT,
it would be reasonable to treat all XX000 as alarm conditions until
proven different.  If a given message is, in fact, not supposed to be
"can't happen", then it shouldn't be going through elog().  We'd
probably be needing to fix some places that were lazily coded as elogs,
but under your proposal we would also have to touch every such place
... and thousands more besides.
        regards, tom lane

Re: proposal: additional error fields

От
Peter Geoghegan
Дата:
On 1 May 2012 21:14, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Peter Geoghegan <peter@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>> Maybe no one is convinced by any of this, but the fact is that the
>> SQLSTATE argument falls down when one considers that we aren't using
>> it in many cases of errors that clearly are severe.
>
> The reason that argument isn't convincing is that we *are* using a
> SQLSTATE for every such message; it's just defaulted to XX000.  AFAICT,
> it would be reasonable to treat all XX000 as alarm conditions until
> proven different.  If a given message is, in fact, not supposed to be
> "can't happen", then it shouldn't be going through elog().  We'd
> probably be needing to fix some places that were lazily coded as elogs,
> but under your proposal we would also have to touch every such place
> ... and thousands more besides.

Fair enough. Adjusting all of those elog calls may be excessive. The
argument could be made that what I've characterised as severe (which
is, as I've said, not entirely clear-cut) could be deduced from
SQLSTATE if we were to formalise the "can't happen errors are only
allowed to use elog()" convention into a hard rule. However, I think
it's critically important to make all of this easy and
well-documented. Severity should probably be part of the default
log_line_prefix.

Sorry for high-jacking your thread, Pavel.

Re: proposal: additional error fields

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
Peter Geoghegan <peter@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> The argument could be made that what I've characterised as severe
> (which is, as I've said, not entirely clear-cut) could be deduced
> from SQLSTATE if we were to formalise the "can't happen errors are
> only allowed to use elog()" convention into a hard rule.
That doesn't seem necessary or desirable.  The thing to do is to
somewhere define a list of what is "severe".  It seems likely that
different shops may have different opinions on what constitutes a
"severe" problem, or may have more than a "severe"/"not severe"
dichotomy.  So it would be best if it was configurable.  To solve
the problem, we mostly seem to need something which can scan the
server log and take action based on SQLSTATE values.  Since we can
already easily log those, this seems like territory for external
monitoring software.
I don't see anything for the community here other than to discuss
places where we might want to use a different SQLSTATE than we
currently do.  Or possibly hooks in the logging process, so monitors
don't need to scan text.
-Kevin

Re: proposal: additional error fields

От
"David Johnston"
Дата:

So the apparent desire is to promote proper usage of SQLSTATE but
simultaneously add and encode a default SQLSTATE_PG_SEVERITY value for each
class/code that can be used for external monitoring and notification.
Ideally customization could be done so that differing opinions on such
severity classification could be made on a client-per-client basis without
having to resort to outputting the SQLSTATE code itself and then requiring
external software to maintain such an association.  To that end any
"severity" on the class itself would act as a default and specific codes
that want to share the same severity can be skipped while those needing a
different code can have an override specified.  Since the codes are neither
exhaustive nor mandatory such a default would apply to any user-chosen code
not previously defined.

Simply adding in more high-level categories avoids the issue that the
current system has insufficient information encoded to facilitate desired
reporting requirements.  If we encode our messages with a sufficient level
of detail then internally or externally adding categories and meta-data on
top of those layers is simple and new ideas and techniques can be tried
without having to modify the system in the future.

Supplemental context information such as table and constraint names can be
useful if the cost of recording such data is low enough and the value
sufficient.  That said, knowing the SQL that caused the error and which
process it is implementing should be sufficient to identify possible causes
and resolutions without requiring the specific columns and tables involved.
Since constraint violations already expose the name of the violated
constraint that particular situation seems to have a sufficient solution.
Given that you should not be giving end-users that kind of implementation
artifact anyway the developer and DBA should be able to identify the root
cause and either avoid it themselves or code an application interface to
present to the end-user.  So, at least from my perspective, the bar to move
this forward is pretty high - either it must be fairly simple to implement
(which it is not) or there needs to be more value to it than I am seeing
currently.  This ignores whether normal runtime performance costs will be a
significant factor.

Looking at the SQLSTATE error classes I am somewhat concerned with the
number of items found under "HV" and the apparent intermixing of "client"
and "internal" error types.

As for an upgrade path how about something along the lines of:

1) Make a best-attempt effort at identifying existing elog and ereport calls
and modifying them to output specific SQLSTATE codes
2) Modify elog/ereport to catch and log (stack trace) any calls that do not
set SQLSTATE to a specific value.
3) During development, beta, and RC phases keep such code in place and ask
people to look at their logs for missed elog/ereport calls
4) Remove the stack trace (logging) within ereport/elog from the final
released code

David J.

Re: proposal: additional error fields

От
Peter Geoghegan
Дата:
On 1 May 2012 22:09, Kevin Grittner <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:
> That doesn't seem necessary or desirable.  The thing to do is to
> somewhere define a list of what is "severe".  It seems likely that
> different shops may have different opinions on what constitutes a
> "severe" problem, or may have more than a "severe"/"not severe"
> dichotomy.

I doubt that opinion would be that widely divided, and in any case I
see no reason to let the perfect be the enemy of the good. For example
Tom seemed pretty confident that the definition of
non-routine/critical could be "has one of a limited number of existing
SQLSTATEs", assuming use of elogs is formally limited to "can't
happen" errors...

> So it would be best if it was configurable.

...that said, it could be configurable, if the case for that were
argued convincingly. At the very least, I'd expect the vast majority
of users to stick to a stock set of SQLSTATEs.

> To solve the problem, we mostly seem to need something which can scan the
> server log and take action based on SQLSTATE values.  Since we can
> already easily log those, this seems like territory for external
> monitoring software.

I don't accept the premise that absolutely anything that could be done
outside of the core system should not be in the core system. By that
standard you could argue that a great deal of existing features
shouldn't have been accepted, including for example streaming
replication, since external systems provide roughly equivalent, albeit
non-standardised, in some ways inferior behaviour (doing this in some
third party project certainly isn't exactly equivalent, since there is
no way to put the magnitude of the message in log_line_prefix to have
it directly readable by a human from the logfile, etc).

The pertinent question to my mind isn't whether we could do this
outside the server, but rather if we *should* do it within the server.
I think that we should, because lots of people want to know if their
database server has our best working definition of a serious problem.
That isn't a narrow use-case.

There is another advantage to doing this within the core system that I
have not touched upon, which is that in this way we can expose another
useful GUC to reduce log noise, beyond log_min_messages. It's
certainly not inconceivable that smaller sites could find it useful to
not have to log every single integrity constraint violation, while
still seeing other types of errors.

Re: proposal: additional error fields

Дата:
Peter Geoghegan <peter@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> There is another advantage to doing this within the core system that I
> have not touched upon, which is that in this way we can expose another
> useful GUC to reduce log noise, beyond log_min_messages.

Yeah, that one is actually a pretty compelling argument.  A *lot* of
people would like to have a setting for "log only non-routine errors",
I think.
        regards, tom lane

Re: proposal: additional error fields

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 4:09 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> I continue to maintain that the SQLSTATE is a much better basis for
> solving this problem.  Its categories are already pretty close to
> what Peter needs: basically, IIUC, he wants to know about classes
> 53, 58, maybe F0, and XX.

This is really too mushy, IMHO.  ERRCODE_TOO_MANY_CONNECTIONS isn't
what I'd call an oh-shit condition even though it's in class 53, but
this "could not create archive status file \"%s\"" is definitely an
oh-shit regardless of what errcode_for_file_access() returns.

Also, the fact is that most people do not log SQLSTATEs.  And even if
they did, they're not going to know to grep for 53|58|maybe F0|XX.
What we need is an easy way for people to pick out any log entries
that represent conditions that should never occur as a result of any
legitimate user activity.  Like, with grep.  And, without needing to
have a PhD in Postgresology.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: proposal: additional error fields

Дата:
> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 4:09 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I continue to maintain that the SQLSTATE is a much better basis for
>> solving this problem. �Its categories are already pretty close to
>> what Peter needs: basically, IIUC, he wants to know about classes
>> 53, 58, maybe F0, and XX.

> This is really too mushy, IMHO.

I don't deny that we probably need to reclassify a few error cases, and
fix some elogs that should be ereports, before this approach would be
really workable.  My point is that it's *close*, whereas "let's invent
some new error severities" is not close to reality and will break all
sorts of stuff.
        regards, tom lane

Re: proposal: additional error fields

От
David Johnston
Дата:
On May 1, 2012, at 20:05, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 4:09 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I continue to maintain that the SQLSTATE is a much better basis for
>> solving this problem.  Its categories are already pretty close to
>> what Peter needs: basically, IIUC, he wants to know about classes
>> 53, 58, maybe F0, and XX.
>
> This is really too mushy, IMHO.  ERRCODE_TOO_MANY_CONNECTIONS isn't
> what I'd call an oh-shit condition even though it's in class 53, but
> this "could not create archive status file \"%s\"" is definitely an
> oh-shit regardless of what errcode_for_file_access() returns.
>
> Also, the fact is that most people do not log SQLSTATEs.  And even if
> they did, they're not going to know to grep for 53|58|maybe F0|XX.
> What we need is an easy way for people to pick out any log entries
> that represent conditions that should never occur as a result of any
> legitimate user activity.
> Like, with grep.  And, without needing to
> have a PhD in Postgresology.

If you want something really simple why not output all elog calls to one file and ereport calls to the current log?

If you recognize the need to fix existing code so that you can determine the severity levels you desire then go all the
wayand use SQLSTATE at the call level and then add meta-data about those codes higher up.  That meta-data is then
customizableso those who want the too many connections error can see them while those that do not can turn them off.

With the addition of the PostgreSQL specific severity category both that value and the SQLSTATE upon which it is based
shouldbe something that is considered best practice to output (and the default) and future attention should be given to
ensuringthat the code is as accurate as possible. Since existing log formats would still be valid upgrades should not
bean issue.

David J.

Re: proposal: additional error fields

От
Peter Geoghegan
Дата:
On 2 May 2012 01:13, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> I don't deny that we probably need to reclassify a few error cases, and
> fix some elogs that should be ereports, before this approach would be
> really workable.  My point is that it's *close*, whereas "let's invent
> some new error severities" is not close to reality and will break all
> sorts of stuff.

I now accept that your proposal to derive magnitude from SQLSTATE was
better than my earlier proposal to invent a new severity level, though
I do of course also agree that that approach necessitates refining the
SQLSTATEs in some cases.

On 2 May 2012 01:05, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> Also, the fact is that most people do not log SQLSTATEs.  And even if
> they did, they're not going to know to grep for 53|58|maybe F0|XX.
> What we need is an easy way for people to pick out any log entries
> that represent conditions that should never occur as a result of any
> legitimate user activity.  Like, with grep.  And, without needing to
> have a PhD in Postgresology.

I couldn't agree more.

Re: proposal: additional error fields

От
Pavel Stehule
Дата:
2012/5/2 Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 4:09 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I continue to maintain that the SQLSTATE is a much better basis for
>> solving this problem.  Its categories are already pretty close to
>> what Peter needs: basically, IIUC, he wants to know about classes
>> 53, 58, maybe F0, and XX.
>
> This is really too mushy, IMHO.  ERRCODE_TOO_MANY_CONNECTIONS isn't
> what I'd call an oh-shit condition even though it's in class 53, but
> this "could not create archive status file \"%s\"" is definitely an
> oh-shit regardless of what errcode_for_file_access() returns.
>
> Also, the fact is that most people do not log SQLSTATEs.  And even if
> they did, they're not going to know to grep for 53|58|maybe F0|XX.
> What we need is an easy way for people to pick out any log entries
> that represent conditions that should never occur as a result of any
> legitimate user activity.  Like, with grep.  And, without needing to
> have a PhD in Postgresology.

long time I wish Pg supports more log files and now I had to write
extension for forwarding slow queries to other log.

so possible solutions can be extension that support mapping,
forwarding, post processing of log items. We have no example for
log_hook still.

Regards

Pavel

> --
> Robert Haas
> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: proposal: additional error fields

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On tis, 2012-05-01 at 20:13 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> I don't deny that we probably need to reclassify a few error cases,
> and fix some elogs that should be ereports, before this approach would
> be really workable.  My point is that it's *close*, whereas "let's
> invent some new error severities" is not close to reality and will
> break all sorts of stuff.

We might hit a road block because some of these sqlstates are defined by
the SQL standard.  But at least we should try this first, and if it
doesn't work make another field that contains the admin/server-level
severity instead of the client-side/flow-control severity level.

Re: proposal: additional error fields

Дата:
> On tis, 2012-05-01 at 20:13 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I don't deny that we probably need to reclassify a few error cases,
>> and fix some elogs that should be ereports, before this approach would
>> be really workable.  My point is that it's *close*, whereas "let's
>> invent some new error severities" is not close to reality and will
>> break all sorts of stuff.

> We might hit a road block because some of these sqlstates are defined by
> the SQL standard.

My guess is that all the ones defined in the SQL standard are "expected"
errors, more or less by definition, and thus not interesting according
to Peter G's criteria.
        regards, tom lane

Re: proposal: additional error fields

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> My guess is that all the ones defined in the SQL standard are
> "expected" errors, more or less by definition, and thus not
> interesting according to Peter G's criteria.
On a scan through the list, I didn't see any exceptions to that,
except for the "F0" class.  To restate what the standard reserves
for standard SQLSTATE values in the form of a regular expression, it
looks like:
'^[0-4A-H][0-9A-Z][0-4A-H][0-9A-Z][0-9A-Z]$'
Eyeballing the errcode page in the docs, it looks like there are
PostgreSQL-assigned values that start with '5', 'P', and 'X'.  That
"F0" class looks suspicious; are those really defined by standard or
did we encroach on standard naming space with PostgreSQL-specific
values?

We also have PostgreSQL-specific values in standard classes where we
use 'P' for the third character, which is fine.
-Kevin

Re: proposal: additional error fields

Дата:
> That "F0" class looks suspicious; are those really defined by standard or
> did we encroach on standard naming space with PostgreSQL-specific
> values?

I think we screwed up on that :-(.  So we ought to renumber those
codes anyway.  Perhaps use "PF" instead of "F0"?
        regards, tom lane

Re: proposal: additional error fields

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> writes:
>> That "F0" class looks suspicious; are those really defined by
>> standard or did we encroach on standard naming space with
>> PostgreSQL-specific values?
>
> I think we screwed up on that :-(.  So we ought to renumber those
> codes anyway.  Perhaps use "PF" instead of "F0"?
Sounds good to me.
-Kevin

Re: proposal: additional error fields

Дата:
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> writes:
>>> That "F0" class looks suspicious; are those really defined by
>>> standard or did we encroach on standard naming space with
>>> PostgreSQL-specific values?

>> I think we screwed up on that :-(.  So we ought to renumber those
>> codes anyway.  Perhaps use "PF" instead of "F0"?
> Sounds good to me.

I thought for a few minutes about whether we ought to try to sneak
such a change into 9.2.  But given that we're talking about probably
doing a number of other SQLSTATE reassignments in the future, it
seems likely better to wait and absorb all that pain in a single
release cycle.  It seems moderately unlikely that any client-side
code is dependent on these specific assignments, but still I'd rather
not see a dribble of "we changed some SQLSTATEs" compatibility flags
across several successive releases.
        regards, tom lane