Обсуждение: k-neighbourhood search in databases

k-neighbourhood search in databases

От
Oleg Bartunov
Дата:
Hi there,

I'm interesting if other databases provides built-in effective
knn search ? Google didn't help me.
    Regards,        Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

Re: k-neighbourhood search in databases

От
PostgreSQL - Hans-Jürgen Schönig
Дата:
hello ...

i have put some research into that some time ago and as far as i have seen there is a 99% chance that no other database
cando it the way we do it. it seems nobody comes even close to it (especially not in the flexibility-arena).

oracle: disgusting workaround ...
http://www.orafaq.com/usenet/comp.databases.oracle.misc/2005/11/03/0083.htm

db2: disgusting workaround (no server side code it seems)

sybase: disgusting workaround (no serverside code it seems)

microsoft: there seems to be something coming out (or just out) but i have not seen anything working yet.
regards,
    hans

On Apr 8, 2011, at 2:21 PM, Oleg Bartunov wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm interesting if other databases provides built-in effective knn search ? Google didn't help me.
>
>     Regards,
>         Oleg

Cybertec Schönig & Schönig GmbH
Gröhrmühlgasse 26
A-2700 Wiener Neustadt, Austria
Web: http://www.postgresql-support.de

Re: k-neighbourhood search in databases

От
Oleg Bartunov
Дата:
Hans,

thanks a lot. I've heard about Oracle Spatial, but I don't know
if it's knn is  just syntactic sugar for workarounds.

Oleg

On Fri, 8 Apr 2011, PostgreSQL - Hans-J?rgen Sch?nig wrote:

> hello ...
>
> i have put some research into that some time ago and as far as i have seen there is a 99% chance that no other
databasecan do it the way we do it. it seems nobody comes even close to it (especially not in the flexibility-arena).

> oracle: disgusting workaround ...
> http://www.orafaq.com/usenet/comp.databases.oracle.misc/2005/11/03/0083.htm
>
> db2: disgusting workaround (no server side code it seems)
>
> sybase: disgusting workaround (no serverside code it seems)
>
> microsoft: there seems to be something coming out (or just out) but i have not seen anything working yet.
>
>     regards,
>
>         hans
>

> On Apr 8, 2011, at 2:21 PM, Oleg Bartunov wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I'm interesting if other databases provides built-in effective knn search ? Google didn't help me.
>>
>>     Regards,
>>         Oleg

> Cybertec Sch?nig & Sch?nig GmbH
> Gr?hrm?hlgasse 26
> A-2700 Wiener Neustadt, Austria
> Web: http://www.postgresql-support.de

    Regards,        Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

Re: k-neighbourhood search in databases

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
On 4/8/11 5:21 AM, Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm interesting if other databases provides built-in effective knn
> search ? Google didn't help me.

Nobody I've talked to, and I asked both Couch and Oracle devs.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: k-neighbourhood search in databases

От
Oleg Bartunov
Дата:
On Fri, 8 Apr 2011, Josh Berkus wrote:

> On 4/8/11 5:21 AM, Oleg Bartunov wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I'm interesting if other databases provides built-in effective knn
>> search ? Google didn't help me.
>
> Nobody I've talked to, and I asked both Couch and Oracle devs.

That's great to know :)
    Regards,        Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

Re: k-neighbourhood search in databases

От
Jeremiah Peschka

On 4/8/11 5:21 AM, Oleg Bartunov wrote:
Hi there,

I'm interesting if other databases provides built-in effective knn
search ? Google didn't help me.
SQL Server provides some knn search functionality[1] with enhancements coming this November in SQL 11[2].

[1]: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/isaac/archive/2008/10/23/nearest-neighbors.aspx
[2]: http://www.sqlskills.com/BLOGS/BOBB/post/The-nearest-neighbor-optimization-in-SQL-Server-Denali.aspx

--
Jeremiah Peschka
Microsoft SQL Server MVP

Re: k-neighbourhood search in databases

От
Oleg Bartunov
Дата:
Wow, custom solution for 2008 still much faster Denali 2011  solution.
Also, what's about not spatial data types ?
In our approach, we can provide knn for any datatype, which has GiST index
and distance method.

Oleg
On Fri, 8 Apr 2011, Jeremiah Peschka wrote:

> On 4/8/11 5:21 AM, Oleg Bartunov wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I'm interesting if other databases provides built-in effective knn
>> search ? Google didn't help me.
> SQL Server provides some knn search functionality[1] with enhancements coming this November in SQL 11[2].
>
> [1]: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/isaac/archive/2008/10/23/nearest-neighbors.aspx
> [2]: http://www.sqlskills.com/BLOGS/BOBB/post/The-nearest-neighbor-optimization-in-SQL-Server-Denali.aspx

    Regards,        Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

Re: k-neighbourhood search in databases

От
Jesper Krogh
Дата:
On 2011-04-10 12:18, Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> Wow, custom solution for 2008 still much faster Denali 2011  solution.
> Also, what's about not spatial data types ? In our approach, we can
> provide
> knn for any datatype, which has GiST index and distance method.

Can you share some insight about how it would
work if the distance method is "expensive" (as in 100ms)?

--
Jesper

Re: k-neighbourhood search in databases

От
Oleg Bartunov
Дата:
On Sun, 10 Apr 2011, Jesper Krogh wrote:

> On 2011-04-10 12:18, Oleg Bartunov wrote:
>> Wow, custom solution for 2008 still much faster Denali 2011  solution.
>> Also, what's about not spatial data types ? In our approach, we can provide
>> knn for any datatype, which has GiST index and distance method.
>
> Can you share some insight about how it would
> work if the distance method is "expensive" (as in 100ms)?

I don't understand how does your question connected with my statement :)

Slow distance calculation affects gist-based ordered heap output  as well as
seqscan output from heap, but in the first case you need to calculate just a
few distances (something like height of gist tree), while in the naive way
one have to calculate n^2 distances.

On Sunday, April 10, 2011 at 3:18 AM, Oleg Bartunov wrote:

Wow, custom solution for 2008 still much faster Denali 2011 solution.
Also, what's about not spatial data types ?
In our approach, we can provide knn for any datatype, which has GiST index
and distance method.

There are a number of workarounds (custom data types, mainly) that can be done in SQL Server, but the spatial datatypes themselves are .NET datatypes that ship with SQL Server and I'm pretty sure the methods will only work with the spatial types. The other types are the usual primitives that we all know and love and won't respond to .NET method invocation in the database.