Обсуждение: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Improved parallel make support

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Improved parallel make support

Дата:
> On 11/12/2010 03:16 PM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> Improved parallel make support

> Looks like this patch has pretty comprehensively broken the MSVC build
> system. I'll see what I can recover from the wreckage.

There are also at least three non-Windows buildfarm members failing like
so:

gmake -C src all
gmake[1]: Entering directory `/home/pgbuild/pgbuildfarm/HEAD/pgsql.6736/src'
gmake[1]: *** virtual memory exhausted.  Stop.
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/home/pgbuild/pgbuildfarm/HEAD/pgsql.6736/src'
gmake: *** [all-src-recursive] Error 2

I think we may have pushed too far in terms of what actually works
reliably across different make versions.

            regards, tom lane

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Improved parallel make support

От
Andrew Dunstan

On 11/12/2010 11:25 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Andrew Dunstan<andrew@dunslane.net>  writes:
>> On 11/12/2010 03:16 PM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>>> Improved parallel make support
>> Looks like this patch has pretty comprehensively broken the MSVC build
>> system. I'll see what I can recover from the wreckage.
> There are also at least three non-Windows buildfarm members failing like
> so:
>
> gmake -C src all
> gmake[1]: Entering directory `/home/pgbuild/pgbuildfarm/HEAD/pgsql.6736/src'
> gmake[1]: *** virtual memory exhausted.  Stop.
> gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/home/pgbuild/pgbuildfarm/HEAD/pgsql.6736/src'
> gmake: *** [all-src-recursive] Error 2
>
> I think we may have pushed too far in terms of what actually works
> reliably across different make versions.

Yeah, possibly. And now it looks like this has broken the Solaris
buildfarm members too.

I'm curious to know how much all this buys us. One reason I haven't
enabled parallel make in the buildfarm is that it interleaves the
output, which can be a pain. And build speed isn't really the
buildfarm's foremost concern anyway. I know waiting for a build can be
mildly annoying (ccache can be a big help if you're building
repeatedly). But I don't feel we need to squeeze every last pip out of
the build system.

cheers

andrew

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Improved parallel make support

Дата:
> I'm curious to know how much all this buys us.

It *would* be nice if "make -k" worked better.  I frequently run into
the fact that (with the pre-existing setup) a compile error in the
backend prevented make from proceeding with builds of interfaces/,
bin/, etc, meaning that that work still remains to be done after I've
finished fixing the backend error.

But having said that, I won't shed many tears if we have to revert this.

It looks like all the unhappy critters are getting the same "virtual
memory exhausted" error.  I wonder whether they are all using make 3.80

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Improved parallel make support