Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Improved parallel make support

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Improved parallel make support
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Well, it looks like $(eval) is pretty broken in 3.80, so either we
> require 3.81 or we abandon this line of thought.

[ emerges from some grubbing about in the gmake sources... ]
It looks to me like the bug in 3.80 is only triggered when "eval"
expands to a long enough string to trigger reallocation of the variable
buffer.  (Ergo, the reason they didn't find it sooner was they only
tested on relatively short strings.)

I wonder whether the bug could be worked around if you did the iteration
on SUBDIRS in a foreach surrounding the eval call, so that each eval
dealt with only one subdir target.  This would result in a bit of
redundancy in the generated rules, but that seems tolerable.