Обсуждение: Re: pgsql: Bootstrap WAL to begin at segment logid=0 logseg=1 (000000010000

Re: pgsql: Bootstrap WAL to begin at segment logid=0 logseg=1 (000000010000

От
Greg Stark
Дата:
On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 2:40 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
<heikki.linnakangas@iki.fi> wrote:
> Back-patch to 9.0. Since this only affects bootstrapping, it makes no
> difference to existing installations. We don't need to worry about the
> bug in existing installations, because if you've managed to get past the
> initial base backup already, you won't hit the bug in the future either.

I'm actually not nearly so sanguine about this not affecting existing
installations. It means, for example, that anyone who has written
monitoring scripts that watch the wal position will see behaviour
they're not familiar with.

--
greg

Re: pgsql: Bootstrap WAL to begin at segment logid=0 logseg=1 (000000010000

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
On 03.11.2010 11:34, Greg Stark wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 2:40 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
> <heikki.linnakangas@iki.fi>  wrote:
>> Back-patch to 9.0. Since this only affects bootstrapping, it makes no
>> difference to existing installations. We don't need to worry about the
>> bug in existing installations, because if you've managed to get past the
>> initial base backup already, you won't hit the bug in the future either.
>
> I'm actually not nearly so sanguine about this not affecting existing
> installations. It means, for example, that anyone who has written
> monitoring scripts that watch the wal position will see behaviour
> they're not familiar with.

You mean, they will see an unfamiliar wal position right after initdb? I
guess, but who runs monitoring scripts on a freshly initdb'd database
before doing anything on it?

Re: pgsql: Bootstrap WAL to begin at segment logid=0 logseg=1 (000000010000

Дата:
> On 03.11.2010 11:34, Greg Stark wrote:
>> I'm actually not nearly so sanguine about this not affecting existing
>> installations. It means, for example, that anyone who has written
>> monitoring scripts that watch the wal position will see behaviour
>> they're not familiar with.

> You mean, they will see an unfamiliar wal position right after initdb? I
> guess, but who runs monitoring scripts on a freshly initdb'd database
> before doing anything on it?

The WAL position immediately after initdb is unspecified, and definitely
NOT 0/0, in any case.  From this perspective initdb will merely seem to
have emitted more WAL than it used to.

A possibly more realistic objection is that a slave freshly initdb'd
with 9.0.2 might have trouble syncing up with a master using 9.0.1,
if the master is so new it hasn't chewed a segment's worth of WAL yet.
Not sure if this is actually a problem.
        regards, tom lane