Обсуждение: A small update for postgresql.conf.sample

A small update for postgresql.conf.sample

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
Attached is a small patch that adds a few comments for the settings that
require restart. Applicable for 9.0+.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ
PostgreSQL RPM Repository: http://yum.pgrpms.org

Re: A small update for postgresql.conf.sample

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
2010/9/27 Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@gunduz.org>:
> Attached is a small patch that adds a few comments for the settings that
> require restart. Applicable for 9.0+.

I'm not sure this is worth back-patching, but I've committed it to the
master branch.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: A small update for postgresql.conf.sample

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 27/09/2010 15:18, Robert Haas a écrit :
> 2010/9/27 Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@gunduz.org>:
>> Attached is a small patch that adds a few comments for the settings that
>> require restart. Applicable for 9.0+.
>
> I'm not sure this is worth back-patching, but I've committed it to the
> master branch.

+1 for backpatching.

Otherwise, the fact that "requires restart" is not here doesn't mean
anything (ie, doesn't mean if restart is required or not).

Actually, I don't see any reason why not to backpatch it.

--
Guillaumehttp://www.postgresql.frhttp://dalibo.com

Re: A small update for postgresql.conf.sample

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
2010/9/27 Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info>:
> Le 27/09/2010 15:18, Robert Haas a écrit :
>> 2010/9/27 Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@gunduz.org>:
>>> Attached is a small patch that adds a few comments for the settings that
>>> require restart. Applicable for 9.0+.
>>
>> I'm not sure this is worth back-patching, but I've committed it to the
>> master branch.
>>

> +1 for backpatching.
>
> Otherwise, the fact that "requires restart" is not here doesn't mean
> anything (ie, doesn't mean if restart is required or not).
>
> Actually, I don't see any reason why not to backpatch it.

I was wondering if it would cause package management headaches for
people who had already modified their postgresql.conf.

No?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: A small update for postgresql.conf.sample

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
On Mon, 2010-09-27 at 09:40 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> > Actually, I don't see any reason why not to backpatch it.
>
> I was wondering if it would cause package management headaches for
> people who had already modified their postgresql.conf.

We don't overwrite .conf files during upgrades.
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
PostgreSQL RPM Repository: http://yum.pgrpms.org

Re: A small update for postgresql.conf.sample

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
2010/9/27 Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@gunduz.org>:
> On Mon, 2010-09-27 at 09:40 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
>> > Actually, I don't see any reason why not to backpatch it.
>>
>> I was wondering if it would cause package management headaches for
>> people who had already modified their postgresql.conf.
>
> We don't overwrite .conf files during upgrades.

All right, have it your way.  Done.  :-)

(Dang this is a lot easier than the old way.)

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: A small update for postgresql.conf.sample

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Excerpts from Robert Haas's message of lun sep 27 09:45:57 -0400 2010:

> (Dang this is a lot easier than the old way.)

Did you use git cherry-pick?

Re: A small update for postgresql.conf.sample

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
2010/9/27 Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>:
> Excerpts from Robert Haas's message of lun sep 27 09:45:57 -0400 2010:
>

>> (Dang this is a lot easier than the old way.)
>>

> Did you use git cherry-pick?

Yes!

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: A small update for postgresql.conf.sample

Дата:
Robert Haas wrote:

> >> I was wondering if it would cause package management headaches for
> >> people who had already modified their postgresql.conf.
> >
> > We don't overwrite .conf files during upgrades.
>
> All right, have it your way.  Done.  :-)
>
> (Dang this is a lot easier than the old way.)

Uh, I have always been reluctant to backpatch changes to
postgresql.conf.sample because those changes are going to be installed
in share/postgresql.conf.sample during a minor upgrade.  After that, if
someone diffs their data/postgresql.conf with
share/postgresql.conf.sample, they will see change that they did not
make to postgresql.conf.

Not sure you want to revert this changes, but I wanted to be sure people
understood this behavior.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: A small update for postgresql.conf.sample

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
2010/10/14 Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>:
> Robert Haas wrote:

>> > We don't overwrite .conf files during upgrades.
>>
>> All right, have it your way.  Done.  :-)
>>
>> (Dang this is a lot easier than the old way.)
>
> Uh, I have always been reluctant to backpatch changes to
> postgresql.conf.sample because those changes are going to be installed
> in share/postgresql.conf.sample during a minor upgrade.  After that, if
> someone diffs their data/postgresql.conf with
> share/postgresql.conf.sample, they will see change that they did not
> make to postgresql.conf.
>
> Not sure you want to revert this changes, but I wanted to be sure people
> understood this behavior.

Yeah, I think the horse has left the barn on these changes, since they
are in 9.0.1 at this point, but it's certainly something to keep in
mind.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: A small update for postgresql.conf.sample

Дата:
Robert Haas wrote:
> 2010/10/14 Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>:
> > Robert Haas wrote:

> >> All right, have it your way. ?Done. ?:-)
> >>
> >> (Dang this is a lot easier than the old way.)
> >
> > Uh, I have always been reluctant to backpatch changes to
> > postgresql.conf.sample because those changes are going to be installed
> > in share/postgresql.conf.sample during a minor upgrade. ?After that, if
> > someone diffs their data/postgresql.conf with
> > share/postgresql.conf.sample, they will see change that they did not
> > make to postgresql.conf.
> >
> > Not sure you want to revert this changes, but I wanted to be sure people
> > understood this behavior.
>
> Yeah, I think the horse has left the barn on these changes, since they
> are in 9.0.1 at this point, but it's certainly something to keep in
> mind.

Yes, I suspected that, but it is an effect I wanted to point out for the
future.

http://enterprisedb.com