Обсуждение: work_mem / maintenance_work_mem maximums

work_mem / maintenance_work_mem maximums

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
Greetings,
 After watching a database import go abysmally slow on a pretty beefy box with tons of RAM, I got annoyed and went to
huntdown why in the world PG wasn't using but a bit of memory.  Turns out to be a well known and long-standing issue:

 http://www.mail-archive.com/pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org/msg101139.html
 Now, we could start by fixing guc.c to correctly have the max value for these be MaxAllocSize/1024, for starters, then
atleast our users would know when they set a higher value it's not going to be used. That, in my mind, is a pretty
clearbug fix.  Of course, that doesn't help us poor data-warehousing bastards with 64G+ machines.

 Sooo..  I don't know much about what the limit is or why it's there, but based on the comments, I'm wondering if we
couldjust move the limit to a more 'sane' place than the-function-we-use-to-allocate.  If we need a hard limit due to
TOAST,let's put it there, but I'm hopeful we could work out a way to get rid of this limit in repalloc and that we can
letsorts and the like (uh, index creation) use what memory the user has decided it should be able to.

     Thanks,
    Stephen

Re: work_mem / maintenance_work_mem maximums

Дата:
Stephen Frost wrote:
-- Start of PGP signed section.
> Greetings,
>
>   After watching a database import go abysmally slow on a pretty beefy
>   box with tons of RAM, I got annoyed and went to hunt down why in the
>   world PG wasn't using but a bit of memory.  Turns out to be a well
>   known and long-standing issue:
>
>   http://www.mail-archive.com/pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org/msg101139.html
>
>   Now, we could start by fixing guc.c to correctly have the max value
>   for these be MaxAllocSize/1024, for starters, then at least our users
>   would know when they set a higher value it's not going to be used.
>   That, in my mind, is a pretty clear bug fix.  Of course, that doesn't
>   help us poor data-warehousing bastards with 64G+ machines.
>
>   Sooo..  I don't know much about what the limit is or why it's there,
>   but based on the comments, I'm wondering if we could just move the
>   limit to a more 'sane' place than the-function-we-use-to-allocate.  If
>   we need a hard limit due to TOAST, let's put it there, but I'm hopeful
>   we could work out a way to get rid of this limit in repalloc and that
>   we can let sorts and the like (uh, index creation) use what memory the
>   user has decided it should be able to.

Is this a TODO?  Can we easily fix the tuplesort.c code?

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: work_mem / maintenance_work_mem maximums

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
> Is this a TODO?  Can we easily fix the tuplesort.c code?

Easily, no.  But that's not a reason for it to not be a TODO.

I, too, would like to be able to make use of 32GB of work_mem effectively.

--                                  -- Josh Berkus                                    PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
                        http://www.pgexperts.com

Re: work_mem / maintenance_work_mem maximums

Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:

> > Is this a TODO?  Can we easily fix the tuplesort.c code?
>
> Easily, no.  But that's not a reason for it to not be a TODO.
>
> I, too, would like to be able to make use of 32GB of work_mem effectively.

[ repost to the right thread.]

Well, I figure it will be hard to allow larger maximums, but can we make
the GUC variable maximums be more realistic?  Right now it is
MAX_KILOBYTES (INT_MAX).

http://enterprisedb.com