Обсуждение: CommitFest 2010-07 now in progress

CommitFest 2010-07 now in progress

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
/me bangs gavel

I hereby declare the 2010-07 CommitFest closed to further patch
submissions, as it is now officially "In Progress".  We have one
month to provide initial review of the patches which have
accumulated since the start of the last CommitFest, six months ago,
and hopefully get a reasonable number of them committed.

All reviewers currently assigned to a patch in "Needs Review" status
should post a review within the next four days.  All authors with
patches in "Waiting on Author" status should post a response within
four days.  If there's a reason that can't happen, please let me
know off-list.

Some numbers:

68 patches were submitted
 3 patches were withdrawn (deleted) by their authors
--
65 total patches currently in the application
--
 3 committed to 9.0
--
62 9.1 patches
--
 1 rejected
 3 returned with feedback

We could still use additional reviewers.  It's not too late to sign
up!  To get an idea of what's involved, please read these pages:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Reviewing_a_Patch
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/RRReviewers

On the lighter side:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/images/5/58/11_eggyknap-patch-review.pdf

Please send me an email (without copying the list) if you are
available to review; feel free to include any information that might
be helpful in assigning you an appropriate patch.

To see what patches still need a reviewer, you could scroll through
the web application looking at the "Reviewers" column:

http://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/commitfest_view/inprogress

-Kevin

CommitFest 2010-07 week one progress report

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
New numbers on where we are with this CommitFest:

71 patches were submitted
 3 patches were withdrawn (deleted) by their authors
--
68 total patches currently in the application
--
 3 committed to 9.0
--
65 9.1 patches
--
 1 rejected
 5 returned with feedback
11 committed for 9.1
--
17 9.1 patches disposed
--

I had particular concerns about the synchronous replication patches,
because I've seen competing patches like that lead to significant

I see that nobody has signed up for the GSoC patch regarding
materialized views.  Do we have an official "mentor" for this
effort?  Would it be a good or bad idea for that person to do the
review?

Although we've had some discussion around Markus Wanner's WIP
refactoring patches and the prerequisite miscellaneous patches,
there's nobody down as a Reviewer for any of them.  I understand
that the six WIP patches are there for feedback, not with
expectation of a commit in this CF, but I'm less clear about the two
prerequisite patches.

The "WIP patch for serializable transactions with predicate locking"
is big, but there's no expectation of a commit this CF, and Joe
assures me he's working on it every day; so nobody should be
concerned about the lack of a review post on that so far.

I am hopeful that in the next week we can clear a lot of the pending
patches which have already had some review, and get someone on every
unclaimed patch.

-Kevin

"Kevin Grittner" <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:

> 68 patches were submitted
>  3 patches were withdrawn (deleted) by their authors
> --
> 65 total patches currently in the application
> --
>  3 committed to 9.0
> --
> 62 9.1 patches
> --
>  1 rejected
>  3 returned with feedback
>  1 committed for 9.1
> --
> 57 pending
> 10 ready for committer
> --
> 47 will still need reviewer attention
>  6 waiting on author to respond to review
> --
> 41 need review before further action
> 23 patches "Needs Review" patches don't have a reviewer assigned
> --
> 18 patches have reviews due within four days

Re: [RRR] CommitFest 2010-07 week one progress report

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 2:09 PM, Kevin Grittner
<Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:
> 48 pending
>  8 ready for committer

Note that all of the patches except one which are marked as "Ready for
Committer" were either submitted by a committer, or the reviewer is a
committer.  Of those, 3 are mine.  Two of those are patches I'm
postponing committing at the request of Tom Lane to avoid making the
9.1 and 9.0 trees drift too much before 9.0 is out.  However, given
the rapidly decreasing frequency of commits to the 9.0 branch, I'm not
sure how much longer it makes sense to hold off: I'm currently
thinking I'll commit those two after beta4 wraps.  The last of those
is the 5-key syscaches patch, which only makes sense if knngist needs
it, so it may get bumped to the next CF, as knngist was not submitted
in time for this CF.  The other 4 patches were either submitted or
reviewed by Simon Riggs or Itagaki Takahiro, and I am presuming they
will commit them themselves unless I hear otherwise (in which case I'm
happy to pick them up).  That leaves just one patch that's actually
been reviewed and is ready to be picked up by a committer, so we
actually have a bit of a pipelines stall here.

> 18 patches have reviews due within four days or less

This is a very big number... I hope some of these reviews start to
come in soon.  I think this is where our bottleneck is at present.

> Although we've had some discussion around Markus Wanner's WIP
> refactoring patches and the prerequisite miscellaneous patches,
> there's nobody down as a Reviewer for any of them.  I understand
> that the six WIP patches are there for feedback, not with
> expectation of a commit in this CF, but I'm less clear about the two
> prerequisite patches.

It seems to me that the discussion is Alvaro and I are having with
Markus is tilted toward having Markus rewrite the imessages interface
to use an SLRU, in which case neither of them will go in this CF.  I'm
hopeful that Heikki or Tom will comment on this also when they get
back from their vacations.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: [RRR] CommitFest 2010-07 week one progress report

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:

>>  18 patches have reviews due within four days or less
>
> This is a very big number... I hope some of these reviews start to
> come in soon.  I think this is where our bottleneck is at present.

Based on off-list emails, I expect most of these to clear by this
weekend.  Part of this was caused by people "reserving" several
patches up front, and posting reviews on some but just now getting
to others; part has been caused by people traveling, and not being
at "home base" to work on things; part has been due to high priority
non-PostgreSQL issues taking people away from reviewing for a few
days; and the predicate locking/serializable patch is just too big
to review in a few days and I didn't bother taking it out of the
count.

You'd probably feel better about things if you had read all the
off-list emails.

Not that we couldn't use another reviewer or two.  I'm still
welcoming volunteers!

-Kevin

Re: [RRR] CommitFest 2010-07 week one progress report

От
Markus Wanner
Дата:
Hi,

On 07/22/2010 08:51 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> It seems to me that the discussion is Alvaro and I are having with
> Markus is tilted toward having Markus rewrite the imessages interface
> to use an SLRU, in which case neither of them will go in this CF.  I'm
> hopeful that Heikki or Tom will comment on this also when they get
> back from their vacations.

Just for the record: I don't currently think a rewrite to use SLRU makes
any sense for imessages.

But to answer Kevin's question: I don't expect to have the prerequisite
patches committed this CF, as I don't think it currently makes any sense
for Postgres to apply them. Nor did I feel there's general consensus
that having we want to have a dynamic memory allocator (for shared memory).

It would be nice to be able to keep track of these kind of patches,
which are available to Postgres and get maintained, but aren't currently
needed or wanted. But do we want to use the CF application for that? How
do you prefer to proceed with these patches?

It's also worth noting that Simon requested more and better
documentation. But I simply can't promise to write anything soon.

Regards

Markus Wanner

Re: CommitFest 2010-07 week one progress report

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
Markus Wanner <markus@bluegap.ch> wrote:
> On 07/22/2010 08:51 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
>> It seems to me that the discussion is Alvaro and I are having
>> with Markus is tilted toward having Markus rewrite the imessages
>> interface to use an SLRU, in which case neither of them will go
>> in this CF. I'm hopeful that Heikki or Tom will comment on this
>> also when they get back from their vacations.
>
> Just for the record: I don't currently think a rewrite to use SLRU
> makes any sense for imessages.
From the sidelines -- I don't know much about our SLRU
implementation, but on from what I have heard, it's hard to see that
as a good fit for what you're trying to do.  At a minimum, those
suggesting it should probably sketch out how that would work just a
little bit farther.
> But to answer Kevin's question: I don't expect to have the
> prerequisite patches committed this CF, as I don't think it
> currently makes any sense for Postgres to apply them.
OK, so all eight of these patches should be considered WIP
submissions.  That's good to know from a process management PoV.
> Nor did I feel there's general consensus that having we want to
> have a dynamic memory allocator (for shared memory).
On the other hand, I seem to remember hearing mentions of a desire
for that in the past, particularly regarding the ability to have
pluggable modules.  I suspect that any such feature would need to
allocate blocks from which space can be allocated and released in a
more lightweight manner than dealing with the OS -- probably with an
interface similar to current memory contexts.  How does the current
patch deal with that?
> It would be nice to be able to keep track of these kind of
> patches, which are available to Postgres and get maintained, but
> aren't currently needed or wanted.
pgfoundry?
> But do we want to use the CF application for that? How
> do you prefer to proceed with these patches?
For WIP patches, I'm inclined to leave them open until the end of
the CF or until discussion seems to have hit an end.  I wonder if we
should have a flag in the application for these, so they show up in
the counts in a different way.
> It's also worth noting that Simon requested more and better
> documentation. But I simply can't promise to write anything soon.
For a WIP patch, I suspect that putting on your personal TODO list,
to cover before any submission for acceptance, is the main thing.
Of course, lack of comments or documentation may limit the feedback
you get for your WIP submission, as reverse-engineering intent from
code can be time-consuming and tedious.
-Kevin

Re: CommitFest 2010-07 week one progress report

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
New numbers on where we are with this CommitFest, as we approach the
half-way point:

72 patches were submitted
 3 patches were withdrawn (deleted) by their authors
 8 patches were moved to CommitFest 2010-09
--
61 patches in CommitFest 2010-07
--
 3 committed to 9.0
--
58 patches for 9.1
--
 1 rejected
13 returned with feedback
12 committed for 9.1
--
26 disposed
--

Of the eight patches moved to the next CF, all were moved by or at
the request of their authors.  One was because the author didn't

13 of the 22 patches which will still need reviewer attention have
had at least one review.  Many of the others have had discussion and
comment entries, but not yet a formal review.

The "WIP patch for serializable transactions with predicate locking"
by Dan Ports and myself has had some off-list questions from Joe
Conway.  The questions are noted as opportunities for further code
comments.  He pointed out one bug which has been fixed.  And the
questions have caused me to notice a couple areas which need work to
reduce the false positive rate.

The last two patches which are without an assigned reviewer appear
to be in that state because there aren't many people who feel
competent to review these areas.  The "ECPG FETCH readahead" patch
by Zoltán Böszörményi and the "WiP: Per-column collation" patch by
Peter Eisentraut both need *someone* to step up.  Volunteers or
suggestions welcome.

Perhaps the biggest CF news of the last week is that we are no
longer faced with a fork in the efforts to implement synchronous
replication for 9.1 -- Zoltán Böszörményi has heroically offered to
withdraw his patch and work with Fujii Masao on enhancing the
subsequent "Another synchronous replication" patch.  With everyone
working from the same base to push this effort forward, I'm hopeful
that we can overcome the challenges this technology presents.  I
think it will be very good for the project if we can get a fairly
polished and "close to final" version committed before the last
CommitFest, so that it has a full alpha test cycle to settle in.
Note that this means that such a patch must be submitted within
*three and a half months*!  Yes, we are that far in to the 9.1
development cycle.

Some of the other patches may have funny dates, but I believe from
off-list emails that things are generally moving OK.

-Kevin

"Kevin Grittner" <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:

> 71 patches were submitted
>  3 patches were withdrawn (deleted) by their authors
> --
> 68 total patches currently in the application
> --
>  3 committed to 9.0
> --
> 65 9.1 patches
> --
>  1 rejected
>  5 returned with feedback
> 11 committed for 9.1
> --
> 17 9.1 patches disposed
> --
> 48 pending
>  8 ready for committer
> --
> 40 will still need reviewer attention
>  9 waiting on author to respond to review
> --
> 31 need review before further action
> 13 "Needs Review" patches don't have a reviewer assigned
> --
> 18 patches have reviews due within four days or less

CommitFest 2010-07 week three progress report

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
"Kevin Grittner" <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:

New numbers on where we are with this CommitFest, at the end of the
third week:

72 patches were submitted
 3 patches were withdrawn (deleted) by their authors
12 patches were moved to CommitFest 2010-09
--
57 patches in CommitFest 2010-07
--
 3 committed to 9.0
--
54 patches for 9.1
--
 1 rejected
17 returned with feedback

Of the four patches moved to the next CF, one was because we
couldn't find a reviewer for ECPG code at this time, one was because
both Florian and I would like to work up some additional tests for
the "serializable lock consistency" patch before sending it to a
committer, and two were because Itagaki changed jobs and didn't have
time during this CF to finish reviews already well underway.

With only ten days to go, in order to leave time for committers to
do their thing, we need to be wrapping up the remaining patches.  I
think we look pretty good.  Of the remaining six patches, two are
Work in Progress, so are not expected to go to a committer; three
involve a committer, so I figure they can decide when and if it's
time to return or move them, which just leaves one which is down to
tweaking docs.

The "WIP patch for serializable transactions with predicate locking"
patch has yet to have a review posted, although there have been
off-list discussions.  The reviewer had to put it aside for about a
week due to job pressures, but is reported back on it.  (The
suspense is killing me.)

Last week:

> 72 patches were submitted
>  3 patches were withdrawn (deleted) by their authors
>  8 patches were moved to CommitFest 2010-09
> --
> 61 patches in CommitFest 2010-07
> --
>  3 committed to 9.0
> --
> 58 patches for 9.1
> --
>  1 rejected
> 13 returned with feedback
> 12 committed for 9.1
> --
> 26 disposed
> --
> 32 pending
> 10 ready for committer
> --
> 22 will still need reviewer attention
>  7 waiting on author to respond to review
> --
> 15 need review before further action
>  2 "Needs Review" patches don't have a reviewer assigned
> --
> 13 patches need review and have a reviewer assigned

Re: CommitFest 2010-07 week three progress report

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
"Kevin Grittner" <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:
> With only ten days to go, in order to leave time for committers to
> do their thing, we need to be wrapping up the remaining patches.
> I think we look pretty good.  Of the remaining six patches, two
> are Work in Progress, so are not expected to go to a committer;
> three involve a committer, so I figure they can decide when and if
> it's time to return or move them, which just leaves one which is
> down to tweaking docs.
How embarrassing -- I miscounted.  It appears I counted Peter's WiP
patch in two categories and missed counting the "unlimited
parameters for xslt_process" in the above paragraph.  (An omission
which jumped out at me when reading this morning's posts.)  Mike
Fowler's latest post says "neither the existing code or the patched
code appear able to evaluate the parameters."  Is it time to mark
this "Returned with Feedback" and hope for a new patch in the next
CF?
-Kevin

CommitFest 2010-07 week four progress report

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
New numbers on where we are with this CommitFest, at the end of the
fourth week:

72 patches were submitted
 3 patches were withdrawn (deleted) by their authors
12 patches were moved to CommitFest 2010-09
--
57 patches in CommitFest 2010-07
--
 3 committed to 9.0
--
54 patches for 9.1
--
 1 rejected
18 returned with feedback
28 committed for 9.1
--
47 disposed
--
 1 waiting on author to respond to review
--
 4 patches need review now and have a reviewer assigned

With about 56 hours left until the close of the CommitFest, we're
down to two "Ready for Committer" and three other potentially
committable patches.  Do we have a plan (with a time line) for
producing an 9.1alpha1 release after the CF closes?  (Have we even
set a policy on whether we do that when we're still in beta testing
for the release which hit feature freeze six months ago?)

No patches were moved to the next CF this week, seven were
committed, and one was returned with feedback.  Two of the four
patches in "Needs Review" status are WiP patches, and for both a
review is long overdue by CF guidelines.  The other two in "Needs
Review" status had new patches posted yesterday which respond to
committer feedback.  The last action for the one patch in "Waiting
on Author" status was feedback from Tom five days ago.

Last week:

> 72 patches were submitted
>  3 patches were withdrawn (deleted) by their authors
> 12 patches were moved to CommitFest 2010-09
> --
> 57 patches in CommitFest 2010-07
> --
>  3 committed to 9.0
> --
> 54 patches for 9.1
> --
>  1 rejected
> 17 returned with feedback
> 21 committed for 9.1
> --
> 39 disposed
> --
> 15 pending
>  9 ready for committer
> --
>  6 will still need reviewer attention
>  1 waiting on author to respond to review
> --
>  5 patches need review now and have a reviewer assigned

Re: CommitFest 2010-07 week four progress report

Дата:
> With about 56 hours left until the close of the CommitFest, we're
> down to two "Ready for Committer" and three other potentially
> committable patches.

I'm working on the pgbench latency patch now, and expect to have it
committed today.  I'll look at xml_is_well_formed next, unless somebody
beats me to it.  pg_stat_get_backend_server_addr is Peter's to commit,
and I suppose Robert will commit the BackendId-in-relpath patch after
another round of tweaking.  gincostestimate may as well be moved to
Returned With Feedback, since Teodor doesn't seem to be responding
(on vacation, perhaps).

> Do we have a plan (with a time line) for
> producing an 9.1alpha1 release after the CF closes?

I don't think anyone's thought about it much.  I'm tempted to propose
that we delay it until after the git conversion, so that alpha1 is the
first tarball we try to produce from the git repository.  I would just
as soon that that first time be with something noncritical ;-)
        regards, tom lane

CommitFest 2010-07 final report

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
At the close of the 2010-07 CommitFest, the numbers were:

72 patches were submitted
 3 patches were withdrawn (deleted) by their authors
14 patches were moved to CommitFest 2010-09
--
55 patches in CommitFest 2010-07
--

When we hit the end of the allotted time, I moved the last two
patches to the next CF, for want of a better idea for disposition.

-Kevin

At the end of week four:

> 72 patches were submitted
>  3 patches were withdrawn (deleted) by their authors
> 12 patches were moved to CommitFest 2010-09
> --
> 57 patches in CommitFest 2010-07
> --
>  3 committed to 9.0
> --
> 54 patches for 9.1
> --
>  1 rejected
> 18 returned with feedback
> 28 committed for 9.1
> --
> 47 disposed
> --
>  7 pending
>  2 ready for committer
> --
>  5 will still need reviewer attention
>  1 waiting on author to respond to review
> --
>  4 patches need review now and have a reviewer assigned

Re: [RRR] CommitFest 2010-07 final report

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
On 18 August 2010 22:45, Kevin Grittner <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:
> At the close of the 2010-07 CommitFest, the numbers were:
>
> 72 patches were submitted
>  3 patches were withdrawn (deleted) by their authors
> 14 patches were moved to CommitFest 2010-09
> --
> 55 patches in CommitFest 2010-07
> --
>  3 committed to 9.0
> --
> 52 patches for 9.1
> --
>  1 rejected
> 20 returned with feedback
> 31 committed for 9.1
>
> When we hit the end of the allotted time, I moved the last two
> patches to the next CF, for want of a better idea for disposition.
> One is "Ready for Committer" with an author who is a committer.  The
> other is my WiP patch for serializable transactions -- there's a lot
> to review and the reviewer had unexpected demands on his time during
> the CF; he said he'll continue work on that outside the CF.
>
> -Kevin
>

> At the end of week four:
>
>> 72 patches were submitted
>>  3 patches were withdrawn (deleted) by their authors
>> 12 patches were moved to CommitFest 2010-09
>> --
>> 57 patches in CommitFest 2010-07
>> --
>>  3 committed to 9.0
>> --
>> 54 patches for 9.1
>> --
>>  1 rejected
>> 18 returned with feedback
>> 28 committed for 9.1
>> --
>> 47 disposed
>> --
>>  7 pending
>>  2 ready for committer
>> --
>>  5 will still need reviewer attention
>>  1 waiting on author to respond to review
>> --
>>  4 patches need review now and have a reviewer assigned

So did the materialized views patch not get submitted?

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion

Re: [RRR] CommitFest 2010-07 final report

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 7:44 AM, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> So did the materialized views patch not get submitted?

I think someone else will need to pick it up and do a bunch more work
with it before it can be considered a serious candidate for commit.