Обсуждение: Translation conventions

Translation conventions

От
Gregory Stark
Дата:
I happen to be doing this grep (the error message could perhaps use a HINT as
I couldn't figure out how to satisfy it...)

I noticed that the Croatian msgid string seems not to match the other
languages. Did this message change recently? Does this get updated only when
we reach beta and declare a string freeze?

find . -type f -print0 | xargs -0 -e grep -nH -e 'a column definition list is required for functions returning'
./parser/parse_relation.c:1159:                     errmsg("a column definition list is required for functions
returning\"record\""),

./po/af.po:4942:msgid "a column definition list is required for functions returning \"record\""
./po/de.po:7267:msgid "a column definition list is required for functions returning \"record\""
./po/es.po:7404:msgid "a column definition list is required for functions returning \"record\""
./po/fr.po:7752:msgid "a column definition list is required for functions returning \"record\""
./po/hr.po:4902:msgid "a column definition list is required for functions returning RECORD"

--  Gregory Stark EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com Ask me about EnterpriseDB's 24x7 Postgres support!

Re: Translation conventions

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On Thursday 09 April 2009 12:55:40 Gregory Stark wrote:
> I noticed that the Croatian msgid string seems not to match the other
> languages. Did this message change recently? Does this get updated only
> when we reach beta and declare a string freeze?

It gets updated when someone with the language skills and interest updates it.
:-/  As the header tells you, this wasn't recently:

"POT-Creation-Date: 2003-09-22 23:33+0200\n"
"PO-Revision-Date: 2003-09-22 23:05+0100\n"

I guess you have some broader concern of which this is a special case?

Re: Translation conventions

От
Greg Stark
Дата:
On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 1:29 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> It gets updated when someone with the language skills and interest updates it.
> :-/  As the header tells you, this wasn't recently:
>
> "POT-Creation-Date: 2003-09-22 23:33+0200\n"
> "PO-Revision-Date: 2003-09-22 23:05+0100\n"
>
> I guess you have some broader concern of which this is a special case?

Hm, I may have made an assumption here which might be wrong. I assumed
the original English strings were updated regularly whenever we made a
release or even more often. Even if no translator was available to add
translations for them. Or do we only regenerate the original English
strings on demand when someone is ready to translate them?

--
greg

Re: Translation conventions

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On Thursday 09 April 2009 16:04:32 Greg Stark wrote:
> Hm, I may have made an assumption here which might be wrong. I assumed
> the original English strings were updated regularly whenever we made a
> release or even more often. Even if no translator was available to add
> translations for them. Or do we only regenerate the original English
> strings on demand when someone is ready to translate them?

The flow of things looks like this:

PostgreSQL source code C file|| xgettext|
POT file|| msgmerge <--- old PO file|
merged PO file|| human translator|
updated PO file|| cvs commit|
pgfoundry/pgtranslation CVS repo ---> then serves as next old PO file above|| release manager + special scripts|
PostgreSQL source code with new translations

The xgettext and msgmerge steps are run regularly (several times per day) on
babel.postgresql.org, then the translators do their thing, check the stuff in,
repeat as much as they want, and then before a release usually I do the last
step to copy things over.

To take the example of the outdated backend hr.po translation, if you went to
http://babel.postgresql.org/ you can download the merged PO file, do some
translation, check it back in, and then it will be in a release in the near
future.