Обсуждение: Column level triggers

Column level triggers

От
"Laurent Wandrebeck"
Дата:
Hi,

According to the documentation (
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/sql-createtrigger.html
), the feaure "SQL allows triggers to fire on updates to specific
columns (e.g., AFTER UPDATE OF col1, col2)" is missing.
After a bit of research, I found that this feature was in the TODO
list ( http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo#Triggers ), and that a
patch was proposed on 2005/07.
Is it going to be implemented soon ? It would greatly help, IMHO, for
load, and simplify the write of plpgsql functions called by before
triggers.
Regards, and keep up the good work, that DBMS (mostly;) rocks !

Laurent

Re: Column level triggers

От
Decibel!
Дата:
On Oct 15, 2008, at 3:21 AM, Laurent Wandrebeck wrote:
> According to the documentation (
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/sql-createtrigger.html
> ), the feaure "SQL allows triggers to fire on updates to specific
> columns (e.g., AFTER UPDATE OF col1, col2)" is missing.
> After a bit of research, I found that this feature was in the TODO
> list ( http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo#Triggers ), and that a
> patch was proposed on 2005/07.
> Is it going to be implemented soon ? It would greatly help, IMHO, for
> load, and simplify the write of plpgsql functions called by before
> triggers.
> Regards, and keep up the good work, that DBMS (mostly;) rocks !

If the patch was submitted back in 2005 and nothing's happened since
then I'd say the author probably lost interest, which means that it
won't be added until someone else gets interested in it. So I'd
suggest either rolling up your sleeves or dangling a carrot (money)
in front of some of the people that do consulting and back-end hacking.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect  decibel@decibel.org

Re: Column level triggers

От
"Laurent Wandrebeck"
Дата:
2008/10/15 Decibel! <decibel@decibel.org>:

> If the patch was submitted back in 2005 and nothing's happened since then
> I'd say the author probably lost interest, which means that it won't be
> added until someone else gets interested in it. So I'd suggest either
> rolling up your sleeves or dangling a carrot (money) in front of some of the
> people that do consulting and back-end hacking.
Well I theorically could try to work on it in a couple months, once I
have finished the project I'm now on, which made me it hit that
limitation.
The main problem are:
- I know absolutely nothing of pg internals, as I'm just a pg user.
- The carrot I can propose as a person is likely to be too small.
@tom: the answers to your questions are of interest. I'd be glad to
know the answers too :)
Regards,
Laurent.