Обсуждение: Ideas input sought for this year's SOC page

Ideas input sought for this year's SOC page

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Hackers,

We need to update the SoC page:
http://www.postgresql.org/developer/summerofcode

... with new ideas and projects appropriate for PostgreSQL 8.4/8.5.
Please make suggestions.  Thanks!

--Josh

Re: Ideas input sought for this year's SOC page

От
"Jonah H. Harris"
Дата:
On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 1:19 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>  Please make suggestions.  Thanks!

Let me look at what's new on the TODO, but I'd also like to see some
of the last SoC projects improved, like xlogdump/xlogviewer and some
of the standby stuff.  We should also ask Simon if he has anything
he'd like to see done, because he usually has some pretty good ideas
for projects in the realm of SoC.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Sr. Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1324
EnterpriseDB Corporation | fax: 732.331.1301

Re: Ideas input sought for this year's SOC page

От
"Merlin Moncure"
Дата:
On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 2:33 PM, Jonah H. Harris <jonah.harris@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 1:19 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>  >  Please make suggestions.  Thanks!
>
>  Let me look at what's new on the TODO, but I'd also like to see some
>  of the last SoC projects improved, like xlogdump/xlogviewer and some
>  of the standby stuff.  We should also ask Simon if he has anything
>  he'd like to see done, because he usually has some pretty good ideas
>  for projects in the realm of SoC.

+1

the read only standby would be what i'd most like to see.

merlin

Re: Ideas input sought for this year's SOC page

От
ziga
Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Hackers,
>
> We need to update the SoC page:
> http://www.postgresql.org/developer/summerofcode
>
> ... with new ideas and projects appropriate for PostgreSQL 8.4/8.5.
> Please make suggestions.  Thanks!
>
> --Josh

On last year's summer of code page,http://www.postgresql.org/developer/summerofcode

There is the following item:
*
DDL Functions*: Create a SQL-callable function capable of generating DDL
scripts for objects within the database.

Is there more information available on this?
Has anything like this been implemented?

I believe SQL standard does not specify such functions.
What functions and parameters?
What other functionality is required?

I have a usable implementation of this functionality,
but it needs some more work before it is released.

Here is some info:http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/DDL_Functions

Currently it is a part of larger utility package, but
I would very much like release it as a stand alone
project on pgfoundry.

The plan is is to review current functions and move them
to a separate namespace before release.
This is a good time to make API changes.

Suggestions are much appreciated.

Thank you

Z.

Re: Ideas input sought for this year's SOC page

От
Oleg Bartunov
Дата:
On Wed, 12 Mar 2008, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Hackers,
>
> We need to update the SoC page:
> http://www.postgresql.org/developer/summerofcode
>
> ... with new ideas and projects appropriate for PostgreSQL 8.4/8.5. Please
> make suggestions.  Thanks!

Several our TODO items (http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/wiki/TODO) can be
good gSOC project, for example, research on picksplit algorithm for
intarray, ltree, text search.
    Regards,        Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

Re: Ideas input sought for this year's SOC page

От
"Guillaume Smet"
Дата:
On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 7:52 PM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
>  the read only standby would be what i'd most like to see.

+1 for this one.

Working on setting up a benchfarm could be a good idea too.

--
Guillaume

Re: Ideas input sought for this year's SOC page

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> We need to update the SoC page:
> http://www.postgresql.org/developer/summerofcode
>
> ... with new ideas and projects appropriate for PostgreSQL 8.4/8.5.

Many of these items could be suitable:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/XML_Todo

Re: Ideas input sought for this year's SOC page

От
"Webb Sprague"
Дата:
On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 2:44 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>  > We need to update the SoC page:
>  > http://www.postgresql.org/developer/summerofcode
>  >
>  > ... with new ideas and projects appropriate for PostgreSQL 8.4/8.5.

Can we add a project to implement advanced and matrix mathematics in
PG, with transparency between arrays and matrices/vectors?  A GSL,
BLAS, LAPACK set of hooks, with operators?

I realize there is the excellent plr project, but to be honest I hate
the R programming language and I think we could really use something
simpler and implemented more directly.

(If I were a real programmer, I would take it on, but I can't see
being able to follow through on it.)

>  Many of these items could be suitable:
>  http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/XML_Todo
>

>  --

Re: Ideas input sought for this year's SOC page

От
"Jonah H. Harris"
Дата:
On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 1:19 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>  ... with new ideas and projects appropriate for PostgreSQL 8.4/8.5.
>  Please make suggestions.  Thanks!

How about optimizing the SQL used by pgsnmpd, as well as extending it
to support traps?