Обсуждение: modularity of PostgreSQL

modularity of PostgreSQL

От
Hope Ho
Дата:
Dear all,

I have some questions about PostgreSQL's modularity.
We know that PostgreSQL is  famous  for its  good modularity, which allows users to select which part they need. It also allow developers to easily replace one part without  affecting other parts.  However, as I know, most database engine, like MySQL, has such modularity: layered architecture and small pieces of functionalities. Actually, it's a rule recognized by lots of software design. Why is only PostgreSQL entitled "good modularity"?

Best,
Hope

Re: modularity of PostgreSQL

Hope Ho wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have some questions about PostgreSQL's modularity.  We know that
> PostgreSQL is  famous  for its  good modularity, which allows users to
> select which part they need. It also allow developers to easily replace
> one part without  affecting other parts.  However, as I know, most
> database engine, like MySQL, has such modularity: layered architecture
> and small pieces of functionalities. Actually, it's a rule recognized
> by lots of software design. Why is only PostgreSQL entitled "good
> modularity"?

Because Postgres is modulare beyond the source code level. The modules
can be replaced without reprogramming the backend database, like
functions, triggers, operators, server-side languages, etc.  And you can
even add new data types without having to modify the database backend
code.

-- Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>        http://momjian.us EnterpriseDB
http://postgres.enterprisedb.com

Re: modularity of PostgreSQL

Дата:
Hope Ho <ho.hope@yahoo.com> writes:
> We know that PostgreSQL is  famous  for its  good modularity, which allows users to select which part they need. It
alsoallow developers to easily replace one part without  affecting other parts.  However, as I know, most database
engine,like MySQL, has such modularity: layered architecture and small pieces of functionalities. Actually, it's a rule
recognizedby lots of software design. Why is only PostgreSQL entitled "good modularity"?

Uh, does anyone authoritative describe it that way?  I think we can
legitimately claim that Postgres is pretty extensible, but as for
modularity I'm not sure that it's got any great claim to fame.
To me modularity connotes an emphasis on dividing the system into
pieces separated by carefully-defined, small-footprint interfaces,
and we have not done spectacularly well on that score.
        regards, tom lane

Re: modularity of PostgreSQL

От
"Jonah H. Harris"
Дата:
On Jan 17, 2008 6:46 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Uh, does anyone authoritative describe it that way?  I think we can
> legitimately claim that Postgres is pretty extensible, but as for
> modularity I'm not sure that it's got any great claim to fame.
> To me modularity connotes an emphasis on dividing the system into
> pieces separated by carefully-defined, small-footprint interfaces,
> and we have not done spectacularly well on that score.

Agreed.  Postges is extensible, not modular.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Sr. Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1324
EnterpriseDB Corporation                | fax: 732.331.1301

Re: modularity of PostgreSQL

От
"Jonah H. Harris"
Дата:
On Jan 18, 2008 8:09 AM, Jonah H. Harris <jonah.harris@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 17, 2008 6:46 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > Uh, does anyone authoritative describe it that way?  I think we can
> > legitimately claim that Postgres is pretty extensible, but as for
> > modularity I'm not sure that it's got any great claim to fame.
> > To me modularity connotes an emphasis on dividing the system into
> > pieces separated by carefully-defined, small-footprint interfaces,
> > and we have not done spectacularly well on that score.
>
> Agreed.  Postges is extensible, not modular.

s/ges/gres/g

no coffee yet :(