Re: modularity of PostgreSQL

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: modularity of PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hope Ho wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have some questions about PostgreSQL's modularity.  We know that
> PostgreSQL is  famous  for its  good modularity, which allows users to
> select which part they need. It also allow developers to easily replace
> one part without  affecting other parts.  However, as I know, most
> database engine, like MySQL, has such modularity: layered architecture
> and small pieces of functionalities. Actually, it's a rule recognized
> by lots of software design. Why is only PostgreSQL entitled "good
> modularity"?

Because Postgres is modulare beyond the source code level. The modules
can be replaced without reprogramming the backend database, like
functions, triggers, operators, server-side languages, etc.  And you can
even add new data types without having to modify the database backend
code.

-- Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>        http://momjian.us EnterpriseDB
http://postgres.enterprisedb.com