Обсуждение: EXPLAIN/EXPLAIN ANALYSE for pl/pgsql functions

EXPLAIN/EXPLAIN ANALYSE for pl/pgsql functions

От
Hannu Krosing
Дата:
How much effort would it be to add EXPLAIN/EXPLAIN ANALYSE capability to
pl/pgsql functions?

what I mean, is either a special mode, where "SELECT my_plpgsql_func()"
would print all query plans instead or in addition to executing them, or
some way for EXPLAIN to pass some flags to functions so that they can
"do the right thing".

Hannu

Re: EXPLAIN/EXPLAIN ANALYSE for pl/pgsql functions

От
"Simon Riggs"
Дата:
On Mon, 2007-04-23 at 11:01 +0300, Hannu Krosing wrote:
> How much effort would it be to add EXPLAIN/EXPLAIN ANALYSE capability to
> pl/pgsql functions?
>
> what I mean, is either a special mode, where "SELECT my_plpgsql_func()"
> would print all query plans instead or in addition to executing them, or
> some way for EXPLAIN to pass some flags to functions so that they can
> "do the right thing".

I agree this is an important thing to have.

Index Advisor patch contains a solution to this issue: All SQL can be
explained, without needing to put the EXPLAIN keyword in front of each
SQL statement prior to execution. The next part of the functionality is
to re-run the EXPLAIN with hypothetical indexes, to see if the plan
would improve.

--  Simon Riggs              EnterpriseDB   http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: EXPLAIN/EXPLAIN ANALYSE for pl/pgsql functions

От
Дата:

/><br/><br />                 -- Korry