Обсуждение: where to write small reusable functions ?

where to write small reusable functions ?

От
"Dany DeBontridder"
Дата:
Hi,<br /><br />I'm working to implement a new feature to pg_dump: the ability to dump objects like function, indexes...
AndI notice that there some usefull functions like pg_malloc, pg_calloc... So I've added pg_free to avoid the sequence
if-not-null-free-point-to-NULL,now I'd like to add a function pg_strcat like this <br />char *<br />pg_strcat (char
*dest,char*src)<br />{<br />/* pg_realloc is a safer function than realloc */<br
/>But,in that case, those functions are only usable for pg_dump, what about the rest of code ? We don't have a central

Re: where to write small reusable functions ?

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
Dany DeBontridder wrote:
> I'm working to implement a new feature to pg_dump: the ability to dump
> objects like function, indexes...

pg_dump already dumps functions and indexes.

Re: where to write small reusable functions ?

От
NikhilS
Дата:
Hi,

char *
pg_strcat (char *dest,char *src)
{
/* pg_realloc is a safer function than realloc */
 dest=pg_realloc(dest,strlen(dest)+strlen(src)+1);

strcat(dest,src);
return dest;
}

Postgres already has something for the above functionality.

See makeStringInfo, appendStringInfo.

Regards,
Nikhils
--
EnterpriseDB               http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: where to write small reusable functions ?

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Am Freitag, 13. April 2007 14:28 schrieb Dany DeBontridder:
> But, in that case, those functions are only usable for pg_dump, what about
> the rest of code ? We don't have a central location for those small
> reusable snippets of code ?

The main point of these functions is to catch errors and exit the program.
But that behavior is very program-dependent, so I don't think it'd be useful
to put them in a central location.

--
Peter Eisentraut

On 4/13/07, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
Dany DeBontridder wrote:
> I'm working to implement a new feature to pg_dump: the ability to dump
> objects like function, indexes...

pg_dump already dumps functions and indexes.

Right but you can't dump only one or two functions or only the functions and nothing else. (the same for index, triggers...)

D.

Re: where to write small reusable functions ?

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
On Fri, Apr 13, 2007 at 03:02:28PM +0200, Dany DeBontridder wrote:
> On 4/13/07, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> >
> >Dany DeBontridder wrote:
> >> I'm working to implement a new feature to pg_dump: the ability to dump
> >> objects like function, indexes...
> >
> >pg_dump already dumps functions and indexes.
>
> Right but you can't dump only one or two functions or only the functions and
> nothing else. (the same for index, triggers...)

You should make sure and read past discussion about this, as well as
propose a design to the community before getting too far into a patch.