Обсуждение: Re: [DOCS] uuid type not documented

Re: [DOCS] uuid type not documented

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Am Dienstag, 10. April 2007 17:30 schrieb Neil Conway:
> On Tue, 2007-04-10 at 17:24 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > The new uuid type is lacking documentation.
>
> We had also talked about including some UUID generation functionality in
> 8.3, but it should be okay to leave that for 8.4.

The problem is that most of the standard methods are platform dependent, as
they require MAC addresses or a "good" random source, for instance.  I'm not
sure how we wanted to solve that, but certainly leaving the uuid type with
*no* method to generate one is pretty poor.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: [DOCS] uuid type not documented

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 10. April 2007 17:30 schrieb Neil Conway:
>> On Tue, 2007-04-10 at 17:24 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>>> The new uuid type is lacking documentation.
>> We had also talked about including some UUID generation functionality in
>> 8.3, but it should be okay to leave that for 8.4.
>
> The problem is that most of the standard methods are platform dependent, as
> they require MAC addresses or a "good" random source, for instance.  I'm not
> sure how we wanted to solve that, but certainly leaving the uuid type with
> *no* method to generate one is pretty poor.

Actually, I would say that not having the ability to generate a UUID is
just fine. Most languages, have the ability to generate them per their
particular platforms. Let's leave it to them.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: [DOCS] uuid type not documented

Дата:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> The problem is that most of the standard methods are platform dependent, as
>> they require MAC addresses or a "good" random source, for instance.  I'm not
>> sure how we wanted to solve that, but certainly leaving the uuid type with
>> *no* method to generate one is pretty poor.

> Actually, I would say that not having the ability to generate a UUID is
> just fine. Most languages, have the ability to generate them per their
> particular platforms. Let's leave it to them.

Let us *not* open that can of worms for 8.3.  This patch would not have
got in except that it didn't attempt to solve that problem, and there's
even less time available now.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [DOCS] uuid type not documented

От
Neil Conway
Дата:
On Tue, 2007-04-10 at 18:28 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> The problem is that most of the standard methods are platform dependent, as
> they require MAC addresses or a "good" random source, for instance.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2007-01/msg00392.php

ISTM random() or similar sources is a sufficient PSRNG for the purposes
of UUID generation -- I can't see anything in the RFC that would
contradict that.

-Neil

Re: [DOCS] uuid type not documented

От
Andrew Dunstan
Дата:
Neil Conway wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-04-10 at 18:28 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>
>> The problem is that most of the standard methods are platform dependent, as
>> they require MAC addresses or a "good" random source, for instance.
>>

> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2007-01/msg00392.php
>
> ISTM random() or similar sources is a sufficient PSRNG for the purposes
> of UUID generation -- I can't see anything in the RFC that would
> contradict that.

How about we set up a contrib (I wish we'd fixed that) module with an
example function or two?

cheers

andrew

Re: [DOCS] uuid type not documented

От
"Florian G. Pflug"
Дата:
Neil Conway wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-04-10 at 18:28 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> The problem is that most of the standard methods are platform dependent, as
>> they require MAC addresses or a "good" random source, for instance.
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2007-01/msg00392.php
>
> ISTM random() or similar sources is a sufficient PSRNG for the purposes
> of UUID generation -- I can't see anything in the RFC that would
> contradict that.

Maybe a short-term solution could be a UUID-generated function that
takes some kind of seed as a parameter. People not concerned about
collisons could just pass some random value, while others could use
the mac-address of the client or something similar.

greetings, Florian Pflug

Re: [DOCS] uuid type not documented

Дата:
Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
> On Tue, 2007-04-10 at 18:28 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> The problem is that most of the standard methods are platform dependent, as
>> they require MAC addresses or a "good" random source, for instance.

> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2007-01/msg00392.php

> ISTM random() or similar sources is a sufficient PSRNG for the purposes
> of UUID generation -- I can't see anything in the RFC that would
> contradict that.

Doesn't seem like quite enough bits of uniqueness.

We could improve matters by incorporating the database's
pg_control.system_identifier into the UUID, substituting for the MAC
address we don't have a good way to get.  system_identifier is currently
determined by the system clock at initdb time (to gettimeofday
precision), so it would add at least some additional bits of
randomness...
        regards, tom lane

Re: [DOCS] uuid type not documented

От
Roman Neuhauser
Дата:
# andrew@dunslane.net / 2007-04-10 15:49:08 -0400:
> Neil Conway wrote:
> >On Tue, 2007-04-10 at 18:28 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> >
> >>The problem is that most of the standard methods are platform dependent,
> >>as they require MAC addresses or a "good" random source, for instance.
> >>

> >http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2007-01/msg00392.php
> >
> >ISTM random() or similar sources is a sufficient PSRNG for the purposes
> >of UUID generation -- I can't see anything in the RFC that would
> >contradict that.
> >

> How about we set up a contrib (I wish we'd fixed that) module with an
> example function or two?

Thought I'd mention Ralph Engelschall's uuid library, comes with
a PostgreSQL binding:

http://www.ossp.org/pkg/lib/uuid/
http://cvs.ossp.org/fileview?f=ossp-pkg/uuid/pgsql/uuid.txt&v=1.1

I only played with it some time ago.

You don't know, man.  You don't KNOW.

Re: [DOCS] uuid type not documented

От
"Marko Kreen"
Дата:
On 4/10/07, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> The problem is that most of the standard methods are platform dependent, as
> they require MAC addresses or a "good" random source, for instance.

FYI: good random source is already available in pgcrypto,
it uses either OpenSSL RAND_bytes() or internal strong PRNG.

--
marko