Обсуждение: Buildfarm failures en masse

Buildfarm failures en masse

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
Seems the change of the XML messages now causes more or less every
buildfarm member to fail the XML test. Meaning all the ones that don't have
libxml, but that seems to be the vast majority...

Looks like a missing update to regression tests?

//Magnus

Re: Buildfarm failures en masse

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Seems the change of the XML messages now causes more or less every
> buildfarm member to fail the XML test. Meaning all the ones that don't have
> libxml, but that seems to be the vast majority...
>
> Looks like a missing update to regression tests?

I don't think the new wording complies with the message guidelines
anyway, so my vote goes to revert the wording change and reach a
consensus about it before committing anything else.

I think this should be

ERROR: unsupported XML feature
DETAIL: The function foo requires libxml2 support.
HINT: You need to re-compile PostgreSQL with --enable-whatever-xml.

Re: Buildfarm failures en masse

Дата:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > Seems the change of the XML messages now causes more or less every
> > buildfarm member to fail the XML test. Meaning all the ones that don't have
> > libxml, but that seems to be the vast majority...
> >
> > Looks like a missing update to regression tests?
>
> I don't think the new wording complies with the message guidelines
> anyway, so my vote goes to revert the wording change and reach a
> consensus about it before committing anything else.
>
> I think this should be
>
> ERROR: unsupported XML feature
> DETAIL: The function foo requires libxml2 support.
> HINT: You need to re-compile PostgreSQL with --enable-whatever-xml.

Yes, I like your wording better.  I will make the updates to the code
and regression tests.

--  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>          http://momjian.us EnterpriseDB
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: Buildfarm failures en masse

Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > > Seems the change of the XML messages now causes more or less every
> > > buildfarm member to fail the XML test. Meaning all the ones that don't have
> > > libxml, but that seems to be the vast majority...
> > >
> > > Looks like a missing update to regression tests?
> >
> > I don't think the new wording complies with the message guidelines
> > anyway, so my vote goes to revert the wording change and reach a
> > consensus about it before committing anything else.
> >
> > I think this should be
> >
> > ERROR: unsupported XML feature
> > DETAIL: The function foo requires libxml2 support.
> > HINT: You need to re-compile PostgreSQL with --enable-whatever-xml.
>
> Yes, I like your wording better.  I will make the updates to the code
> and regression tests.

OK, new wording:
ERROR:  unsupported XML featureDETAIL:  This functionality requires libxml support.HINT:  You need to re-compile
PostgreSQLusing --with-libxml.

The error is all in one macro, so it has to be generic and not mention
the specific function, or xml data type.  Regression tests updated.