Обсуждение: development environment of postgres

development environment of postgres

От
dakotali kasap
Дата:
Hi,

I want to ask, which development environment should I use to add new features to postgresql. Is Eclipse CDT (C/C++ Development Tool) suitable for this, or are you using another environment, or just using pico, vi, etc.?

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: development environment of postgres

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Sat, 2006-12-16 at 16:47 -0800, dakotali kasap wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to ask, which development environment should I use to add new
> features to postgresql. Is Eclipse CDT (C/C++ Development Tool)
> suitable for this, or are you using another environment, or just using
> pico, vi, etc.?

Use the environment that works for you. Some people like emacs, some
kdevelop, some Eclipse, some VC++. Just use what you are good at.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997            http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: development environment of postgres

От
"Jonah H. Harris"
Дата:
On 12/16/06, dakotali kasap <dakotalidavid@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I want to ask, which development environment should I use to add new
> features to postgresql. Is Eclipse CDT (C/C++ Development Tool) suitable for
> this, or are you using another environment, or just using pico, vi, etc.?

My development environment primarily consists of gentoo, vim, gdb,
gprof, valgrind, and gcc 4.1.1.  Eclipse is nice for Java, but I don't
really prefer it for C/C++ work.

In the end, you should really use what you're most comfortable with.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1324
EnterpriseDB Corporation            | fax: 732.331.1301

Re: development environment of postgres

От
Chris Browne
Дата:
dakotalidavid@yahoo.com (dakotali kasap) writes:
> I want to ask, which development environment should I use to add new
> features to postgresql. Is Eclipse CDT (C/C++ Development Tool)
> suitable for this, or are you using another environment, or just
> using pico, vi, etc.?

I can't speak for you.  I find my competence is maximized when I'm
using Emacs; others find other sets of tools preferable.  The code
doesn't care what tool you're best with.

- There are people who will swear by vi + ctags.

- There are some who still use QED.  (Albeit not for this project...)  <http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/qed.html>
(Thesewould be extreme Unix partisans who think that the move from ed to vi was a Bad Thing...  :-))

- Others prefer some form of Emacs.

- One of my coworkers I think uses pico for most things; he's not keen on either of the typical Unix editors.

As a quite wide-ranging rule, a worker who blames his tools for things
not working tends to be *spectacularly* incompetent.  If you pick
tools you're not highly familiar with, you'll be liable to fall into
that sort of problem :-(.  Pick an editor you are intimately familiar
with, and you'll be as well off as you can be.  Your errors will be
your own :-).
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="cbbrowne.com" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://cbbrowne.com/info/sap.html

Re: development environment of postgres

От
"Andrew Dunstan"
Дата:
Chris Browne wrote:
> dakotalidavid@yahoo.com (dakotali kasap) writes:
>> I want to ask, which development environment should I use to add new
>> features to postgresql. Is Eclipse CDT (C/C++ Development Tool)
>> suitable for this, or are you using another environment, or just
>> using pico, vi, etc.?
>
> I can't speak for you.  I find my competence is maximized when I'm
> using Emacs; others find other sets of tools preferable.  The code
> doesn't care what tool you're best with.
>
> - There are people who will swear by vi + ctags.
>
> - There are some who still use QED.  (Albeit not for this project...)
>    <http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/qed.html>
>   (These would be extreme Unix partisans who think that the move from
>   ed to vi was a Bad Thing...  :-))
>
> - Others prefer some form of Emacs.
>
> - One of my coworkers I think uses pico for most things; he's not keen
>   on either of the typical Unix editors.

Higher end IDEs tend to work best with some sort of project setup. If we
were  to support that it would be impossible - we'd forever have breakage.
We support exactly the toolset needed to build postgres, and let you
choose your own creation and management tools.

There are plenty of emacs users among the hackers, and it's possible to
set up emacs to drive building, debugging, the whole thing. For the most
part I just use its editing facities, and drive everything else from the
command line.

cheers

andrew

Re: development environment of postgres

От
dakotali kasap
Дата:
I am also usually working with a simple editor and command line, but because the postgresql project is too big for a person who is looking at the source code for the first time, I thought it will be simpler using a tool like CDT, because jumping directly to a function definition that he wants to look at is easy.

Anyway, CDT's opening definition feature did not work for postgresql source. I do not know why. I just wanted to know if somebody had accomplished this.

Regards,

dakotali

>> I want to ask, which development environment should I use to add new
>> features to postgresql. Is Eclipse CDT (C/C++ Development Tool)
>> suitable for this, or are you using another environment, or just
>> using pico, vi, etc.?
>
> I can't speak for you.  I find my competence is maximized when I'm
> using Emacs; others find other sets of tools preferable.  The code
> doesn't care what tool you're best with.
>
> - There are people who will swear by vi + ctags.
>
> - There are some who still use QED.  (Albeit not for this project...)
>    <http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/qed.html>
>   (These would be extreme Unix partisans who think that the move from
>   ed to vi was a Bad Thing...  :-))
>
> - Others prefer some form of Emacs.
>
> - One of my coworkers I think uses pico for most things; he's not keen
>   on either of the typical Unix editors.

Higher end IDEs tend to work best with some sort of project setup. If we
were  to support that it would be impossible - we'd forever have breakage.
We support exactly the toolset needed to build postgres, and let you
choose your own creation and management tools.

There are plenty of emacs users among the hackers, and it's possible to
set up emacs to drive building, debugging, the whole thing. For the most
part I just use its editing facities, and drive everything else from the
command line.

cheers

andrew

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: development environment of postgres

Дата:
dakotali kasap <dakotalidavid@yahoo.com> writes:
> --0-1517433147-1166375569=:82897

> I am also usually working with a simple editor and command line, but becaus=
> e the postgresql project is too big for a person who is looking at the sour=
> ce code for the first time, I thought it will be simpler using a tool like =
> CDT, because jumping directly to a function definition that he wants to loo=
> k at is easy.

That's an essential tool even for someone who knows the code well
... but you shouldn't think that there's only one way to do it.
I like glimpse under emacs (easily finds references to symbols as well
as their definitions; not specific to any one programming language).
I think some other people use ctags.
        regards, tom lane

Re: development environment of postgres

От
"Carlos Chacon"
Дата:
Hi,

To modify postgres, i use kwrite... then "make and make install".... that's all....

But i use this web site to navegate inside the postgres code, i found it very useful....
http://www.mcknight.de/pgsql-doxygen/cvshead/html/

(of course, this web site may be don't have the recent realease of postgres)

dakotali kasap < dakotalidavid@yahoo.com> writes:
> --0-1517433147-1166375569=:82897

> I am also usually working with a simple editor and command line, but becaus=
> e the postgresql project is too big for a person who is looking at the sour=
> ce code for the first time, I thought it will be simpler using a tool like =
> CDT, because jumping directly to a function definition that he wants to loo=
> k at is easy.

That's an essential tool even for someone who knows the code well
... but you shouldn't think that there's only one way to do it.
I like glimpse under emacs (easily finds references to symbols as well
as their definitions; not specific to any one programming language).
I think some other people use ctags.

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend