Обсуждение: Giving up multiple postmaster + RPM issue

Giving up multiple postmaster + RPM issue

От
Devrim GUNDUZ
Дата:
Hello,

As some of you already know, I have been working on multiple postmaster
+ RPM issue for some time. We are approaching 8.2.0, and I still could
not complete this.

Also, I'm having problems with my eyes which prevents me working (for
long hours) (Vision Fatigue); so I want to give up this issue at least
for now.

I will create a new branch for this; and use the old spec file format
for 8.2.

Here is the spec file that I plan to use for 8.2:

http://cvs.pgfoundry.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/pgsqlrpms/specs/8.2/postgresql-8.2.spec?rev=1.8&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

Revisions greater then 1.8 are prototypes for multiple postmaster issue,
so should not be used for 8.2 final.

I *hope* to release 8.2 SRPM next week so that people will test it.

Re: Giving up multiple postmaster + RPM issue

От
Paul Lindner
Дата:
On Sat, Nov 11, 2006 at 05:56:03PM +0200, Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:

> Hello,
>
> As some of you already know, I have been working on multiple postmaster
> + RPM issue for some time. We are approaching 8.2.0, and I still could
> not complete this.
>
> Also, I'm having problems with my eyes which prevents me working (for
> long hours) (Vision Fatigue); so I want to give up this issue at least
> for now.
>
> I will create a new branch for this; and use the old spec file format
> for 8.2.
>
> Here is the spec file that I plan to use for 8.2:

http://cvs.pgfoundry.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/pgsqlrpms/specs/8.2/postgresql-8.2.spec?rev=1.8&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

> Revisions greater then 1.8 are prototypes for multiple postmaster issue,
> so should not be used for 8.2 final.
>
> I *hope* to release 8.2 SRPM next week so that people will test it.

I tried to implement the same type of thing with other RPM packages.
Having multiple versioned RPMs installed is not so easy.  Most of the
tools like yum assume you want to upgrade, not install new versions
thus you get lots of problems.  (You can designate packages
install-only in yum.conf, but then you have to be sure that everything
works...)

My solution was to create RPMs with the version number embedded in the
name.  Thus for 7.4.13 and 8.1.5 I have:
 postgres7.4-13-1_fc6.x86_64.rpm postgres8.1-5-1_fc6.x86_64.rpm

Everything goes into /usr/local/pg7.4 and /usr/local/pg8.1, init
scripts are /etc/init.d/postgres8.1, /etc/init.d/postgres7.4

That combined with some 'alternatives' magic makes things work well
for the hosts at my current job.

spec file(s) available on request...

--
Paul Lindner        ||||| | | | |  |  |  |   |   |
lindner@inuus.com

Re: Giving up multiple postmaster + RPM issue

От
Martijn van Oosterhout
Дата:
On Sun, Nov 12, 2006 at 01:27:26AM -0800, Paul Lindner wrote:
> My solution was to create RPMs with the version number embedded in the
> name.  Thus for 7.4.13 and 8.1.5 I have:
>
>   postgres7.4-13-1_fc6.x86_64.rpm
>   postgres8.1-5-1_fc6.x86_64.rpm
>
> Everything goes into /usr/local/pg7.4 and /usr/local/pg8.1, init
> scripts are /etc/init.d/postgres8.1, /etc/init.d/postgres7.4

That's the apporaich the debian packages take too, although they also
add a layer so you can have multiple clusters also, each with whatever
version you like.

Have a ncie day,
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Re: Giving up multiple postmaster + RPM issue

От
Devrim GUNDUZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Sun, 2006-11-12 at 01:27 -0800, Paul Lindner wrote:
> Everything goes into /usr/local/pg7.4 and /usr/local/pg8.1, init
> scripts are /etc/init.d/postgres8.1, /etc/init.d/postgres7.4

/usr/local is not the right place for a database server, per Linux FSH.

> spec file(s) available on request.

I'll be happy if you send me the spec.