Обсуждение: plperl/plperlu interaction

plperl/plperlu interaction

От
Andrew Dunstan

Recently while doing a little research on how we could do perl module
preloading nicely, I constructed the following:
 create function loadmods() returns void language plperlu as $$   use LWP::UserAgent; $$; select loadmods(); create
functionloadurl() returns text language plperl as $$   my $ua = LWP::UserAgent->new;   my $response =
$ua->get('http://search.cpan.org/');  return $response->as_string; $$; select loadurl();

This works because plperl and plperlu share a common interpreter. I have
thought some about whether or not it is a security risk, and decided it
probably isn't, because only a superuser could construct the plperlu
function to load the external module - if an ordinary user tried it in
trusted plperl code there would be a perl error generated. It remains
true that a plperl function cannot on its own get access to an external
module, and to that extent we haven't broken the trust criteria. The
only way I know of in which we could actually prevent this effect would
be to run separate interpreters for plperl and plperlu. That wouldn't be
a great tragedy on its own, as perl interpreters aren't hugely heavy
objects, but we would probably break some legacy code, and it would take
a not insignificant coding effort. So we'd want to be very sure we
wanted to do that  - personally I can live with this easily enough - the
superuser just has to be careful what they do. In cases of paranoia they
could use Symbol::delete_package() when they were done with the module,
although constantly loading and unloading a module won't perform very
nicely.

Anyway, it is probably not expected by many users that loading a module
in plperlu makes it available to plperl  - I was slightly surprised
myself to see it work and I am probably more aware than most of perl and
plperl subtleties. I think therefore that at least this should be
documented.

thoughts?

cheers

andrew

Re: plperl/plperlu interaction

Дата:
> Anyway, it is probably not expected by many users that loading a module
> in plperlu makes it available to plperl  - I was slightly surprised
> myself to see it work and I am probably more aware than most of perl and
> plperl subtleties.

I think that is a bug and needs to be fixed.  We have the precedent of
pltcl, which uses separate interpreters for pltcl and pltclu for exactly
this reason.
        regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:

>> Anyway, it is probably not expected by many users that loading a module
>> in plperlu makes it available to plperl  - I was slightly surprised
>> myself to see it work and I am probably more aware than most of perl and
>> plperl subtleties.
>>

> I think that is a bug and needs to be fixed.  We have the precedent of
> pltcl, which uses separate interpreters for pltcl and pltclu for exactly
> this reason.

Fair enough.

I am not sure what our release timetable is - and presumably this should
also be backpatched if we regard it as a bug. I won't be able to do much
on this front for the next 2 weeks at least.

cheers

andrew

Re: plperl/plperlu interaction

От
Andrew Dunstan
Дата:
Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> writes:
>>
>>> Anyway, it is probably not expected by many users that loading a
>>> module in plperlu makes it available to plperl  - I was slightly
>>> surprised myself to see it work and I am probably more aware than
>>> most of perl and plperl subtleties.
>>>

>> I think that is a bug and needs to be fixed.  We have the precedent of
>> pltcl, which uses separate interpreters for pltcl and pltclu for exactly
>> this reason.
>>

> Fair enough.
>
> I am not sure what our release timetable is - and presumably this
> should also be backpatched if we regard it as a bug. I won't be able
> to do much on this front for the next 2 weeks at least.

There is one other wrinkle, that has just come to my attention courtesy
of Andrew@SuperNews. This is what the perlembed man page says:
      Now suppose we have more than one interpreter instance running at the      same time.  This is feasible, but only
ifyou used the Configure

option      "-Dusemultiplicity" or the options "-Dusethreads -Duseithreads" when      building perl.

Now my local perl (FC5/ia64) has usemultiplicity defined. I am not sure
how common this is.

Perhaps people who use other platforms could look for these flags in the
output of   perl -e 'use Config qw(myconfig config_sh config_vars config_re);
print config_sh();'

cheers

andrew

Re: plperl/plperlu interaction

От
Martijn van Oosterhout
Дата:
On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 03:15:00PM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Perhaps people who use other platforms could look for these flags in the
> output of
>    perl -e 'use Config qw(myconfig config_sh config_vars config_re);
> print config_sh();'

My Debian Sarge (i386) has:

useithreads='define'
usethreads='define'
usemultiplicity='define'

Have a nice day,
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Re: plperl/plperlu interaction

Дата:
>        Now suppose we have more than one interpreter instance running at the
>        same time.  This is feasible, but only if you used the Configure
> option
>        "-Dusemultiplicity" or the options "-Dusethreads -Duseithreads" when
>        building perl.

> Now my local perl (FC5/ia64) has usemultiplicity defined. I am not sure
> how common this is.

Ouch.  It's certainly not the default configuration :-(
        regards, tom lane

Re: plperl/plperlu interaction

От
Jeff Trout
Дата:
On Oct 26, 2006, at 3:23 PM, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 03:15:00PM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>> Perhaps people who use other platforms could look for these flags
>> in the
>> output of
>>    perl -e 'use Config qw(myconfig config_sh config_vars config_re);
>> print config_sh();'

OSX 10.4.8:

usemultiplicity='define'
usethreads='define'
useithreads='define'

--
Jeff Trout <jeff@jefftrout.com>
http://www.dellsmartexitin.com/

Re: plperl/plperlu interaction

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Jeff Trout wrote:

> On Oct 26, 2006, at 3:23 PM, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 03:15:00PM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> >>Perhaps people who use other platforms could look for these flags
> >>in the
> >>output of
> >>   perl -e 'use Config qw(myconfig config_sh config_vars config_re);
> >>print config_sh();'
> >

> OSX 10.4.8:
>
> usemultiplicity='define'
> usethreads='define'
> useithreads='define'

Same here on Debian unstable (stock Perl packages).

Re: plperl/plperlu interaction

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 03:35:11PM -0400, Jeff Trout wrote:

> On Oct 26, 2006, at 3:23 PM, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 03:15:00PM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> >>Perhaps people who use other platforms could look for these flags
> >>in the
> >>output of
> >>   perl -e 'use Config qw(myconfig config_sh config_vars config_re);
> >>print config_sh();'
> >

> OSX 10.4.8:
>
> usemultiplicity='define'
> usethreads='define'
> useithreads='define'

All 3 are undef on FreeBSD 6.1.

Re: plperl/plperlu interaction

От
Jeremy Drake
Дата:
On Thu, 26 Oct 2006, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> Jeff Trout wrote:

> > OSX 10.4.8:
> >
> > usemultiplicity='define'
> > usethreads='define'
> > useithreads='define'
>
> Same here on Debian unstable (stock Perl packages).

On my current Gentoo box:
useithreads='undef'
usemultiplicity='undef'
usethreads='undef'

My USE flags have ithreads disabled, since the description of the feature
is "Enable Perl threads, has some compatibility problems"

--
Whether you can hear it or not
The Universe is laughing behind your back    -- National Lampoon, "Deteriorata"

Tom Lane wrote:

>>        Now suppose we have more than one interpreter instance running at the
>>        same time.  This is feasible, but only if you used the Configure
>> option
>>        "-Dusemultiplicity" or the options "-Dusethreads -Duseithreads" when
>>        building perl.
>>

>> Now my local perl (FC5/ia64) has usemultiplicity defined. I am not sure
>> how common this is.
>>

> Ouch.  It's certainly not the default configuration :-(

Well, so far many Linux platforms look OK, but FBSD does not.

This could be ugly ;-(

cheers

andrew

Re: plperl/plperlu interaction

От
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Дата:
Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> writes:
>>
>>>        Now suppose we have more than one interpreter instance running
>>> at the
>>>        same time.  This is feasible, but only if you used the
>>> Configure option
>>>        "-Dusemultiplicity" or the options "-Dusethreads
>>> -Duseithreads" when
>>>        building perl.
>>>

>>> Now my local perl (FC5/ia64) has usemultiplicity defined. I am not
>>> sure how common this is.
>>>

>> Ouch.  It's certainly not the default configuration :-(
>>

> Well, so far many Linux platforms look OK, but FBSD does not.

OpenBSD (which has perl in base) also has those 3 NOT defined ...

> This could be ugly ;-(

yeah ...

Stefan

Re: plperl/plperlu interaction

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Andrew,

> My Debian Sarge (i386) has:
>
> useithreads='define'
> usethreads='define'
> usemultiplicity='define'

I get the same on Ubuntu and SuSE 9.3, so I think those are pervasive
settings for Linux.

Solaris 10update1:

useithreads='undef'
usethreads='undef'