Обсуждение: Open items for 8.2

Open items for 8.2

Дата:
Here are the open items for 8.2:
http://momjian.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/pgopenitems

This list will be continually updated until we release 8.2.

Re: Open items for 8.2

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Here are the open items for 8.2:
>
>     http://momjian.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/pgopenitems
>
> This list will be continually updated until we release 8.2.

Thanks for the effort.

A quickie: this item

Store only active XIDs in subtransaction cache

was already done:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2006-09/msg00048.php

Re: Open items for 8.2

Дата:
> Here are the open items for 8.2:
>     http://momjian.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/pgopenitems

Had a bitmap-index patch arrived in my inbox this morning, as had been
promised to me for three weekends running, I might have been willing to
drop all else and review it.  But, no patch.  This item is dead for 8.2.
Do not even think of suggesting otherwise.

Updatable views are likewise dead --- we don't have a credible patch or
any short-term path to get one.  I hope to see both of these items land
early in the 8.3 devel cycle, but for 8.2, nyet.

The list is missing the issue of removing the long-since-agreed-on-to-remove
contrib modules.

A couple of recently discussed FE/BE protocol issues are: not storing a
plan at all for unnamed-statement cases, and thus allowing bind
parameters to be treated as constants; allowing parameter types to go
unresolved rather than throwing an error.  Perhaps it's too late to
consider these for 8.2, but they seem no more invasive than some other
items on the open-issues list.

Other docs issues:

VALUES-list syntax --- not real clear where to put it

timezone changes: appendix B is out of date, and do we need a list at
all rather than telling people to look at the config file + system view?
        regards, tom lane

Re: Open items for 8.2

Дата:
> A quickie: this item
> Store only active XIDs in subtransaction cache
> was already done:

I think Bruce is referring to the idea that you and I each arrived at
recently, ie removing subcommitted subxact XIDs from the PGPROC cache
if they hadn't stored any tuples.  That certainly wasn't done by my
commit you mention ... did you do it when I wasn't looking?
        regards, tom lane

Re: Open items for 8.2

От
Alvaro Herrera
Tom Lane wrote:
> > A quickie: this item
> > Store only active XIDs in subtransaction cache
> > was already done:
>
> I think Bruce is referring to the idea that you and I each arrived at
> recently, ie removing subcommitted subxact XIDs from the PGPROC cache
> if they hadn't stored any tuples.  That certainly wasn't done by my
> commit you mention ... did you do it when I wasn't looking?

Ah, true -- no, I didn't do it, sorry :-)

Re: Open items for 8.2

От
Andrew Dunstan
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Here are the open items for 8.2:
>
>     http://momjian.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/pgopenitems
>
> This list will be continually updated until we release 8.2.

Emacs code example     not submitted     Gregory Stark <gsstark@mit.edu>
<mailto:gsstark@mit.edu>

This one is actually on my list, and will be done in a day or two. I
have Greg's suggestion, which will be included.

cheers

andrew

Re: Open items for 8.2

От
Joachim Wieland
Дата:
On Mon, Sep 04, 2006 at 11:58:35PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> timezone changes: appendix B is out of date, and do we need a list at
> all rather than telling people to look at the config file + system view?

Since I did the initial patch I also volunteer to submit documentation for
it. As far as the table is concerned, I think we agreed on removing the list
(that has been inaccurate since long anyway) and tell people to check out
the system view.

Joachim

--
Joachim Wieland                                              joe@mcknight.de
             GPG key available

Re: Open items for 8.2

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Here are the open items for 8.2:
> >     http://momjian.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/pgopenitems
>
> Had a bitmap-index patch arrived in my inbox this morning, as had been
> promised to me for three weekends running, I might have been willing to
> drop all else and review it.  But, no patch.  This item is dead for 8.2.
> Do not even think of suggesting otherwise.

Well, we have to use some objective criteria, rather than one person's
decision.  I would say we are one month past feature freeze, and have
not received a patch to review, and you have asked repeatedly.  That is
enough of a basis to reject this feature for 8.2.  Removed from open
items list.

> Updatable views are likewise dead --- we don't have a credible patch or
> any short-term path to get one.  I hope to see both of these items land
> early in the 8.3 devel cycle, but for 8.2, nyet.

OK, same criteria.  Removed.

> The list is missing the issue of removing the long-since-agreed-on-to-remove
> contrib modules.

Added.

> A couple of recently discussed FE/BE protocol issues are: not storing a
> plan at all for unnamed-statement cases, and thus allowing bind
> parameters to be treated as constants; allowing parameter types to go
> unresolved rather than throwing an error.  Perhaps it's too late to
> consider these for 8.2, but they seem no more invasive than some other
> items on the open-issues list.

Well, I think the difference is that they are new items, rather than
something pre-August 1 (or bugs), but I figure we could throw them in if
it wasn't risky.  Added to list.

> Other docs issues:
>
> VALUES-list syntax --- not real clear where to put it
>
> timezone changes: appendix B is out of date, and do we need a list at
> all rather than telling people to look at the config file + system view?

Both added.

Re: Open items for 8.2

Дата:
Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Here are the open items for 8.2:
> >
> >     http://momjian.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/pgopenitems
> >
> > This list will be continually updated until we release 8.2.
> >

> Emacs code example     not submitted     Gregory Stark <gsstark@mit.edu>
> <mailto:gsstark@mit.edu>
>

> This one is actually on my list, and will be done in a day or two. I
> have Greg's suggestion, which will be included.

OK.

Re: Open items for 8.2

Дата:
We made pretty good progress today on the open-items list:

ISBN/EAN: I've reviewed this and fixed a couple small issues, it's ready
to commit as soon as the author indicates his assent to license
statement.  I'll remove isbn_issn at the same time.

Altering view ownership doesn't work: fixed

Remove pgcrypto deprecated functions: done

Intel compiler fails for GIN build: I think Teodor did something with
this

Add /contrib/hstore: done by Teodor

plpgsql, return can contains any expression: actually, this is "bounced
back to author for rework".  Dunno if you intend "reviewing" to include
that state.

Remove contrib stuff: done
        regards, tom lane

Re: Open items for 8.2

Дата:
Joachim Wieland wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 04, 2006 at 11:58:35PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > timezone changes: appendix B is out of date, and do we need a list at
> > all rather than telling people to look at the config file + system view?
>
> Since I did the initial patch I also volunteer to submit documentation for
> it. As far as the table is concerned, I think we agreed on removing the list
> (that has been inaccurate since long anyway) and tell people to check out
> the system view.

OK, added.

Re: Open items for 8.2

Tom Lane wrote:
> We made pretty good progress today on the open-items list:
>
> ISBN/EAN: I've reviewed this and fixed a couple small issues, it's ready
> to commit as soon as the author indicates his assent to license
> statement.  I'll remove isbn_issn at the same time.
>
> Altering view ownership doesn't work: fixed
>
> Remove pgcrypto deprecated functions: done
>
> Intel compiler fails for GIN build: I think Teodor did something with
> this
>
> Add /contrib/hstore: done by Teodor
>
> plpgsql, return can contains any expression: actually, this is "bounced
> back to author for rework".  Dunno if you intend "reviewing" to include
> that state.

Yes, it does, but I changed it to "resubmit".

> Remove contrib stuff: done

Other stuff all updated/removed.

Re: Open items for 8.2

От
Chris Browne
Дата:
bruce@momjian.us (Bruce Momjian) writes:
> Here are the open items for 8.2:
>
>     http://momjian.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/pgopenitems
>
> This list will be continually updated until we release 8.2.

I've got suggested patches for my item (e.g. - --with-openssl causing
contrib stuff to break on AIX); a couple of instances of:
 SHLIB_LINK = $(libpq) $(LIBS)

in contrib/dblink/Makefile and contrib/sslinfo seem to do the trick.
I'm not sure of adverse effects for others, so that's only speculative
at this point...
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "linuxfinances.info")
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/postgresql.html

Re: Open items for 8.2

Дата:
Chris Browne wrote:
> bruce@momjian.us (Bruce Momjian) writes:
> > Here are the open items for 8.2:
> >
> >     http://momjian.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/pgopenitems
> >
> > This list will be continually updated until we release 8.2.
>
> I've got suggested patches for my item (e.g. - --with-openssl causing
> contrib stuff to break on AIX); a couple of instances of:
>
>   SHLIB_LINK = $(libpq) $(LIBS)
>
> in contrib/dblink/Makefile and contrib/sslinfo seem to do the trick.
> I'm not sure of adverse effects for others, so that's only speculative
> at this point...

My guess is that sslinfo needs it because of the use of the SSL
libraries.  I would guess any of the other /contrib modules would need
similar changes.  Can you do a 'make' at the top of the contrib tree and
see what fails?

Re: Open items for 8.2

Дата:
> Chris Browne wrote:
>> I've got suggested patches for my item (e.g. - --with-openssl causing
>> contrib stuff to break on AIX); a couple of instances of:
>>
>> SHLIB_LINK = $(libpq) $(LIBS)
>>
>> in contrib/dblink/Makefile and contrib/sslinfo seem to do the trick.
>> I'm not sure of adverse effects for others, so that's only speculative
>> at this point...

> My guess is that sslinfo needs it because of the use of the SSL
> libraries.

I just added $(LIBS) to sslinfo's Makefile to fix its build failure on
Darwin.  (I see no reason why libpq should be involved there, though.)
I'm unclear on why AIX would need more than Darwin does to get dblink
to build.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Open items for 8.2

От
Christopher Browne
Дата:
Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw when tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us (Tom Lane) would write:
>> Chris Browne wrote:
>>> I've got suggested patches for my item (e.g. - --with-openssl causing
>>> contrib stuff to break on AIX); a couple of instances of:
>>>
>>> SHLIB_LINK = $(libpq) $(LIBS)
>>>
>>> in contrib/dblink/Makefile and contrib/sslinfo seem to do the trick.
>>> I'm not sure of adverse effects for others, so that's only speculative
>>> at this point...
>
>> My guess is that sslinfo needs it because of the use of the SSL
>> libraries.
>
> I just added $(LIBS) to sslinfo's Makefile to fix its build failure on
> Darwin.  (I see no reason why libpq should be involved there,
> though.)

> I'm unclear on why AIX would need more than Darwin does to get dblink
> to build.

In the case of dblink/Makefile, it started as

SHLIB_LINK = $(libpq)

which need to be augmented to:

SHLIB_LINK = $(libpq) $(LIBS)

When I saw the same errors pop up with sslinfo, there was no
SHLIB_LINK definition, so went to:

SHLIB_LINK = $(libpq) $(LIBS)

It's entirely possible that
SHLIB_LINK = $(LIBS)
is sufficient.
--
wm(X,Y):-write(X),write('@'),write(Y). wm('cbbrowne','gmail.com').
http://linuxfinances.info/info/spreadsheets.html

Re: Open items for 8.2

От
Bernd Helmle
Дата:
--On Montag, September 04, 2006 23:58:35 -0400 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
wrote:

> Updatable views are likewise dead --- we don't have a credible patch or
> any short-term path to get one.  I hope to see both of these items land
> early in the 8.3 devel cycle, but for 8.2, nyet.

Yeah, i don't had the time to get to it the last days and to fix all
outstanding issues,
sorry for that. Regarding to the complexity of all required work that needs
to be done, 8.3
is the better choice, indeed.

--  Thanks
                   Bernd

Re: Open items for 8.2

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Am Dienstag, 5. September 2006 05:58 schrieb Tom Lane:
> A couple of recently discussed FE/BE protocol issues are: not storing a
> plan at all for unnamed-statement cases, and thus allowing bind
> parameters to be treated as constants; allowing parameter types to go
> unresolved rather than throwing an error.  Perhaps it's too late to
> consider these for 8.2, but they seem no more invasive than some other
> items on the open-issues list.

Do we have a patch for that today?

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Open items for 8.2

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Am Dienstag, 5. September 2006 03:07 schrieb Bruce Momjian:
> Here are the open items for 8.2:
>
>     http://momjian.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/pgopenitems

This host seems to be offline.  What about using the wiki?

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Open items for 8.2

От
Devrim GUNDUZ
Дата:
Hello,

On Wed, 2006-09-06 at 13:04 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> >       http://momjian.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/pgopenitems
>
> This host seems to be offline.

It is suffering from a DNS problem.

>  What about using the wiki?

Wiki has the same problem, too.

Re: Open items for 8.2

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
> > Here are the open items for 8.2:
> >
> >     http://momjian.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/pgopenitems
>
> This host seems to be offline.  What about using the wiki?

The problem is with the postgresql.org DNS servers. Something weird is
afoot around the hub.org nameservers, from what I can tell. Servers seem
to be dropping off one by one as TTLs expire.

//Magnus

Re: Open items for 8.2

От
Christopher Browne
Дата:
Martha Stewart called it a Good Thing when mha@sollentuna.net ("Magnus Hagander") wrote:
>> > Here are the open items for 8.2:
>> >
>> >     http://momjian.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/pgopenitems
>>
>> This host seems to be offline.  What about using the wiki?
>
> The problem is with the postgresql.org DNS servers. Something weird is
> afoot around the hub.org nameservers, from what I can tell. Servers seem
> to be dropping off one by one as TTLs expire.

Apparently Marc is back; he recently had a question about reordering
IP addresses on pgsql.sql, which suggests some sort of DNS maintenance
being up.

Hopefully this is a matter of things getting a little worse before
they get more comprehensively fixed.  I hope...
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="gmail.com" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/spreadsheets.html

Re: Open items for 8.2

Дата:
> Am Dienstag, 5. September 2006 05:58 schrieb Tom Lane:
>> A couple of recently discussed FE/BE protocol issues are: not storing a
>> plan at all for unnamed-statement cases, and thus allowing bind
>> parameters to be treated as constants; allowing parameter types to go
>> unresolved rather than throwing an error.  Perhaps it's too late to
>> consider these for 8.2, but they seem no more invasive than some other
>> items on the open-issues list.

> Do we have a patch for that today?

We could have a patch for the first one today --- I was thinking about
it last night and intending to code it today.  The second one is merely
a matter of removing an error check that exists now; the question really
is do people want that behavior.  (I asked that on the jdbc list and got
zero response, so actually I was thinking that it was a dead issue; but
as long as it's on the open-items list we ought to discuss it.)
        regards, tom lane

Re: Open items for 8.2

Дата:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 5. September 2006 03:07 schrieb Bruce Momjian:
> > Here are the open items for 8.2:
> >
> >     http://momjian.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/pgopenitems
>
> This host seems to be offline.  What about using the wiki?

The host is fine.  postgresql.org DNS is broken.  Reference the host
directly:
http://momjian.us/cgi-bin/pgopenitems
--
 Bruce Momjian   bruce@momjian.us EnterpriseDB    http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: Open items for 8.2

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Had a bitmap-index patch arrived in my inbox this morning, as had been
>> promised to me for three weekends running, I might have been willing to
>> drop all else and review it. But, no patch. This item is dead for 8.2.
>> Do not even think of suggesting otherwise.
>
> Well, we have to use some objective criteria, rather than one person's
> decision. I would say we are one month past feature freeze, and have
> not received a patch to review, and you have asked repeatedly. That is
> enough of a basis to reject this feature for 8.2. Removed from open
> items list.

This may be too little too late, but I have time to work on the bitmap
index patch and fix the API issues. I'm familiar with the index am API
and I can see the issues with the patch as it stands.

If it's definitely too late for 8.2, I'd like to get it into CVS as soon
as possible after the 8.2 release. Jie and/or Gavin, could you send the
latest version of the patch to the list in any case? Do you want help
with the patch, or would I be stepping on your toes?

--
Heikki Linnakangas

Re: Open items for 8.2

От
Michael Paesold
Tom Lane wrote:
>> Am Dienstag, 5. September 2006 05:58 schrieb Tom Lane:
>>> A couple of recently discussed FE/BE protocol issues are: not storing a
>>> plan at all for unnamed-statement cases, and thus allowing bind
>>> parameters to be treated as constants; allowing parameter types to go
>>> unresolved rather than throwing an error.  Perhaps it's too late to
>>> consider these for 8.2, but they seem no more invasive than some other
>>> items on the open-issues list.
>
>> Do we have a patch for that today?
>
> We could have a patch for the first one today --- I was thinking about
> it last night and intending to code it today.  The second one is merely
> a matter of removing an error check that exists now; the question really
> is do people want that behavior.  (I asked that on the jdbc list and got
> zero response, so actually I was thinking that it was a dead issue; but
> as long as it's on the open-items list we ought to discuss it.)

I personally think it's a good idea to do it, as it should improve the
plans for one-shot queries. Unfortunately I don't certainly know how the
JDBC driver issues queries when called through a PreparedStatement but
without a "prepare-threshold"[*] set. If it uses the unnamed-statement,
then I guess the proposed change would be a win.

Best Regards
Michael Paesold

[*] This option determines, after how many executes of a prepared
statement, the driver will switch to server-side prepares.