Обсуждение: proposal for PL packages for 8.3.

proposal for PL packages for 8.3.

От
"Pavel Stehule"
Дата:
Hello

Package contains package's variables, shared protected functions and
initialisation part, which is executed when any public function attached to
package is called. Every package has defined only one language. The reason
for this is binary compatibility of package's variables. Private functions
aren't SQL functions and it isn't possible to call them via SPI. Because
PL/pgSQL can't call functions via different interface than SPI, PL/pgSQL
won't support private functions. Package owner can attach any SQL funtions
to package, even those written in different language, but only functions in
same language as package can access package variables and protect functions.
Package is similar to schema. Public package function can access package
variables or private functions only if it has same language as package.
Every function can be attached to just one package. Only owner can modify
package (ALTER OR ATTACH functions).

Samples:

CREATE OR REPLACE PACKAGE foo_package
AS $$
DECLARE my_var integer;
BEGIN my_var := 0;
END;
$$ LANGUAGE plpgsql IMMUTABLE;

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION foo_package.counter() RETURNS integer
AS $$
BEGIN my_var := my_var + 1; RETURN foo_package.my_var; -- explicit namespace
END;
$$ LANGUAGE plpgsql IMMUTABLE;

SELECT foo_package.counter();

This proposal for package has minimal impact on current implementation of PL
languages.

CREATE OR REPLACE PACKAGE xml_parser AS $$ USE XML::LibXML;
 my $parser = XML::LibXML->new; my $schema_file = '/home/postgres/comm.xsd'; my $schema =
XML::LibXML::Schema->new(location=> $schema_file);

sub get_data
{my ($root, $tag, $optional) = @_;my $aux = $root->getElementsByTag($tag);if (@aux eq 0){    elog(ERROR, "Missing
value")if ! $optional;    return undef;}return @aux[0]->getFirstChild->getData;

}
$$ LANGUAGE plperlu;

CREATE OR  REPLACE FUNCTION xml_parser.parse_document ( IN body varchar, OUT name varchar, OUT document_type varchar)
AS $$my $body = $_[0];
my $doc = $parser->parse_string($body);$schema->validate($doc);$root = $doc->getDocumentElement();return {    name =>
$root->nodeName;   document_type => get_data($root, 'type') };

$$ LANGUAGE plperlu;

- using different language, can access only public functions
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION xml_parser.validate_all_doc( OUT _name varchar, OUT _state boolean) RETURNS SETOF RECORD
AS $$
DECLARE _body varchar;
BEGIN FOR _body, _name IN SELECT body, path FROM xml_repository LOOP   BEGIN     -- use implicit search_path containing
package_name    _state := true;     PERFORM parse_document(_r.body);   EXCEPTION WHEN OTHERS THEN     _state := false;
END;   RETURN NEXT; END LOOP; RETURN;

END;
$$ LANGUAGE plpgsql VOLATILE;

SELECT xml_parser.validate_all_doc();

This system is simple and minimalistic and doesn't copy package system from
ADA or Oracle which are more complicated and don't allow multiple PL.

Any comments are welcome

Regards
Pavel Stehule

p.s. I'll have free time on sept. and can work on it.

Emotikony a pozadi programu MSN Messenger ozivi vasi konverzaci.
http://messenger.msn.cz/

Re: proposal for PL packages for 8.3.

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
Pavel Stehule wrote:
> Package is similar to schema.

Are you saying that the package would effectively *be* a schema from the
outside. That is, if I have package "foo" then I can't also have a
schema "foo"?

--   Richard Huxton  Archonet Ltd

Re: proposal for PL packages for 8.3.

От
"Pavel Stehule"

>Pavel Stehule wrote:
>>Package is similar to schema.
>
>Are you saying that the package would effectively *be* a schema from the
>outside. That is, if I have package "foo" then I can't also have a schema
>"foo"?

Yes, because I don't need duplicity in function's names.

Pavel

Najdete si svou lasku a nove pratele na Match.com. http://www.msn.cz/

Re: proposal for PL packages for 8.3.

Дата:
"Pavel Stehule" <pavel.stehule@hotmail.com> writes:
>> Are you saying that the package would effectively *be* a schema from the
>> outside. That is, if I have package "foo" then I can't also have a schema
>> "foo"?

> Yes, because I don't need duplicity in function's names.

What if the package needs some tables associated with it?  I think you
need to think harder about the relationship of packages and schemas.
I don't necessarily object to merging the concepts like this, but
the implications look a bit messy at first sight.
        regards, tom lane

Re: proposal for PL packages for 8.3.

От
"Pavel Stehule"
Дата:
> >> Are you saying that the package would effectively *be* a schema from
>the
> >> outside. That is, if I have package "foo" then I can't also have a
>schema
> >> "foo"?
>
> > Yes, because I don't need duplicity in function's names.
>
>What if the package needs some tables associated with it?  I think you
>need to think harder about the relationship of packages and schemas.
>I don't necessarily object to merging the concepts like this, but
>the implications look a bit messy at first sight.
>
>            regards, tom lane

What is problem? I can attach table or sequence. What can be problem is
visibility of nesteded objects (if can be different than functions). My
proposal is only concept, and I my first goal is find way for secure storing
session's variables and shared native functions, like my sample. I didn't
think about others objecst and it's maybe error. Or maybe I was wrong in
"package is similar to schema". I wonted say so relation between function
and package is very similar to relation between functions and schema.

Pavel Stehule

Emotikony a pozadi programu MSN Messenger ozivi vasi konverzaci.
http://messenger.msn.cz/

Re: proposal for PL packages for 8.3.

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 03:57:05PM +0200, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> >the
> >schema
> >
> >> Yes, because I don't need duplicity in function's names.
> >
> >What if the package needs some tables associated with it?  I think you
> >need to think harder about the relationship of packages and schemas.
> >I don't necessarily object to merging the concepts like this, but
> >the implications look a bit messy at first sight.
> >
> >            regards, tom lane
>
> What is problem? I can attach table or sequence. What can be problem is
> visibility of nesteded objects (if can be different than functions). My
> proposal is only concept, and I my first goal is find way for secure
> storing session's variables and shared native functions, like my sample. I
> didn't think about others objecst and it's maybe error. Or maybe I was
> wrong in "package is similar to schema". I wonted say so relation between
> function and package is very similar to relation between functions and
> schema.

Having the relationship be similar is fine... actually implimenting
packages as some special kind of schema sounds like a really bad idea.
IMHO, packages should themselves be first-level objects that reside
under schemas. Of course that raises some interesting questions about
the visibility of the functions inside a package, which is why IIRC the
last time this was brought up one of the ideas was to extend schemas so
that they could contain other schemas.

Re: proposal for PL packages for 8.3.

От
"Pavel Stehule"

> > What is problem? I can attach table or sequence. What can be problem is
> > visibility of nesteded objects (if can be different than functions). My
> > proposal is only concept, and I my first goal is find way for secure
> > storing session's variables and shared native functions, like my sample.
> > didn't think about others objecst and it's maybe error. Or maybe I was
> > wrong in "package is similar to schema". I wonted say so relation
>between
> > function and package is very similar to relation between functions and
> > schema.
>
>Having the relationship be similar is fine... actually implimenting
>packages as some special kind of schema sounds like a really bad idea.
>IMHO, packages should themselves be first-level objects that reside
>under schemas. Of course that raises some interesting questions about
>the visibility of the functions inside a package, which is why IIRC the
>last time this was brought up one of the ideas was to extend schemas so
>that they could contain other schemas.

I unlike concept of nested schemats or packages nested in schema. I don't
see reason for it. About implementation.. package is more special kind of
function for me. But relation between package and function I can create  via
dot notation in function's name. It's different from nested syntax from
PL/SQL or ADA. I can easy separate SQL part and non SQL part.

Regards
Pavel Stehule

Najdete si svou lasku a nove pratele na Match.com. http://www.msn.cz/

Re: proposal for PL packages for 8.3.

Дата:
"Pavel Stehule" <pavel.stehule@hotmail.com> writes:
> I unlike concept of nested schemats or packages nested in schema. I don't
> see reason for it. About implementation.. package is more special kind of
> function for me. But relation between package and function I can create  via
> dot notation in function's name. It's different from nested syntax from
> PL/SQL or ADA. I can easy separate SQL part and non SQL part.

Apparently you're not aware that that syntax is not free for the taking.
The reason people are complaining about this proposal is that currently
foo.bar(...) means function bar in schema foo, and you seem to be
intending to break it.
        regards, tom lane

Re: proposal for PL packages for 8.3.

От
"Pavel Stehule"

>"Pavel Stehule" <pavel.stehule@hotmail.com> writes:
> > I unlike concept of nested schemats or packages nested in schema. I
>don't
> > see reason for it. About implementation.. package is more special kind
>of
> > function for me. But relation between package and function I can create
>via
> > dot notation in function's name. It's different from nested syntax from
> > PL/SQL or ADA. I can easy separate SQL part and non SQL part.
>
>Apparently you're not aware that that syntax is not free for the taking.
>The reason people are complaining about this proposal is that currently
>foo.bar(...) means function bar in schema foo, and you seem to be
>intending to break it.

I understand it. But I don't know better solution. Certainly foo.bar(..) is
ambigous and it can mean both. ANSI SQL don't use packages and Oracle's
package are unsolveable because we have separated parsers. Do you have any
idea, what is good model for it?

Regards
Pavel Stehule

Emotikony a pozadi programu MSN Messenger ozivi vasi konverzaci.
http://messenger.msn.cz/

Re: proposal for PL packages for 8.3.

От
"Pavel Stehule"

>From: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
>To: "Pavel Stehule" <pavel.stehule@hotmail.com>
>CC: jnasby@pervasive.com, dev@archonet.com, pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org
>Subject: Re: [HACKERS] proposal for PL packages for 8.3. Date: Tue, 08 Aug
>2006 08:18:42 -0400
>
>"Pavel Stehule" <pavel.stehule@hotmail.com> writes:
> > I unlike concept of nested schemats or packages nested in schema. I
>don't
> > see reason for it. About implementation.. package is more special kind
>of
> > function for me. But relation between package and function I can create
>via
> > dot notation in function's name. It's different from nested syntax from
> > PL/SQL or ADA. I can easy separate SQL part and non SQL part.
>
>Apparently you're not aware that that syntax is not free for the taking.
>The reason people are complaining about this proposal is that currently
>foo.bar(...) means function bar in schema foo, and you seem to be
>intending to break it.
>
>            regards, tom lane

I found some doc about it, but I confused. Oracle has two similar kind of
objects: packages and modules. Ansi SQL defines MODULES.

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:jkXyiDKg-sgJ:www.oracle.com/technology/products/rdb/pdf/createmodule_external_routines.pdf+%22CREATE+MODULE%22+sql&hl=cs&ct=clnk&cd=4

Has anybody more documentation about it?

Regards
Pavel Stehule

Chcete sdilet sve obrazky a hudbu s prateli? http://messenger.msn.cz/

Tom Lane wrote:
> "Pavel Stehule" <pavel.stehule@hotmail.com> writes:
> >> Are you saying that the package would effectively *be* a schema from the
> >> outside. That is, if I have package "foo" then I can't also have a schema
> >> "foo"?
>
> > Yes, because I don't need duplicity in function's names.
>
> What if the package needs some tables associated with it?  I think you
> need to think harder about the relationship of packages and schemas.
> I don't necessarily object to merging the concepts like this, but
> the implications look a bit messy at first sight.

I like the idea of a package being a schema.  I imagine that a package
would put its own schema name first in the 'search_path' before
referencing an object.  I think anything more complex is going to be too
hard to use.

Re: proposal for PL packages for 8.3.

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Tom,

I'm confused.  I thought the consensus was that we'd get package
functionality via SQL99 TYPEs, rather than by implementing
oracle-copycat syntax.

--Josh

Re: proposal for PL packages for 8.3.

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Bruce,

> I like the idea of a package being a schema.  I imagine that a package
> would put its own schema name first in the 'search_path' before
> referencing an object.  I think anything more complex is going to be too
> hard to use.

Or we could just add local variables to schema and dispense with
PACKAGES entirely.

--Josh

Re: proposal for PL packages for 8.3.

Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> > I like the idea of a package being a schema.  I imagine that a package
> > would put its own schema name first in the 'search_path' before
> > referencing an object.  I think anything more complex is going to be too
> > hard to use.
> >

> Or we could just add local variables to schema and dispense with
> PACKAGES entirely.

Sure, makes more sense to me.  I don't think people want Oracle syntax
as much as Oracle packages capabilities.

Re: proposal for PL packages for 8.3.

От
"Adnan DURSUN"
Дата: