Обсуждение: expanded \df+ display broken in beta4

expanded \df+ display broken in beta4

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
not sure exactly when this was changed, but expanded display of \df+
output is broken in beta4. compare:

[postgres@localhost data]$ /usr/local/pgsql-8.1.x/bin/psql -p 5481
template1
Welcome to psql 8.1beta4, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.

Type:  \copyright for distribution terms      \h for help with SQL commands      \? for help with psql commands      \g
orterminate with semicolon to execute query      \q to quit

template1=# \df+ area                                                  List of functions  Schema   | Name | Result data
type| Argument data types |  Owner   |

Language | Source code |      Description

------------+------+------------------+---------------------+----------+----------+-------------+-----------------------pg_catalog
|area | double precision | box                 | postgres |

internal | box_area    | box areapg_catalog | area | double precision | circle              | postgres |
internal | circle_area | area of circlepg_catalog | area | double precision | path                | postgres |
internal | path_area   | area of a closed path
(3 rows)

template1=# \x
Expanded display is on.
template1=# \df+ area                                                  List of functions  Schema   | Name | Result data
type| Argument data types |  Owner   |

Language | Source code |      Description

------------+------+------------------+---------------------+----------+----------+-------------+-----------------------pg_catalog
|area | double precision | box                 | postgres |

internal | box_area    | box areapg_catalog | area | double precision | circle              | postgres |
internal | circle_area | area of circlepg_catalog | area | double precision | path                | postgres |
internal | path_area   | area of a closed path

[postgres@localhost data]$ /usr/local/pgsql-8.0.x/bin/psql -p 5481
template1

[...]

template1=# \df+ area
List of functions
-[ RECORD 1 ]-------+----------------------
Schema              | pg_catalog
Name                | area
Result data type    | double precision
Argument data types | box
Owner               | postgres
Language            | internal
Source code         | box_area
Description         | box area
-[ RECORD 2 ]-------+----------------------
Schema              | pg_catalog
Name                | area
Result data type    | double precision
Argument data types | circle
Owner               | postgres
Language            | internal
Source code         | circle_area
Description         | area of circle
-[ RECORD 3 ]-------+----------------------
Schema              | pg_catalog
Name                | area
Result data type    | double precision
Argument data types | path
Owner               | postgres
Language            | internal
Source code         | path_area
Description         | area of a closed path

template1=#

certainly the second is much more legible... this is on... FC3 in case
it matters.

Robert Treat

Re: expanded \df+ display broken in beta4

От
Michael Fuhr
Дата:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2005-06/msg00423.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2005-06/msg00149.php

--
Michael Fuhr

Re: expanded \df+ display broken in beta4

Дата:
Good point.  We modified 8.1 so backslash commands do not honor \x
because things like \d look silly in \x, but \df+ looks better with \x,
no question.

Ideally I think \x should allow three modes, on, off, and auto, with
auto doing \x if the row output is wider than the screen.  If we had
this, backslash commands could be auto, or we can set all queries to
auto by default.

Added to TODO:
       o Add auto-expanded mode so expanded output is used if the row         length is wider than the screen width.
         Consider using auto-expanded mode for backslash commands like \df+.

------------+------+------------------+---------------------+----------+----------+-------------+-----------------------
> [...]
> Result data type    | double precision
> Argument data types | circle
> Owner               | postgres
> Language            | internal
> Source code         | circle_area
> Description         | area of circle
> -[ RECORD 3 ]-------+----------------------
> Schema              | pg_catalog
> Name                | area
> Result data type    | double precision
> Argument data types | path
> Owner               | postgres
> Language            | internal
> Source code         | path_area
> Description         | area of a closed path
>
> template1=#
>

> certainly the second is much more legible... this is on... FC3 in case
> it matters.
>

> Robert Treat
> --
> Build A Brighter Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

Pennsylvania19073

Re: expanded \df+ display broken in beta4

От
Martijn van Oosterhout
Дата:
On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 02:51:04PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Good point.  We modified 8.1 so backslash commands do not honor \x
> because things like \d look silly in \x, but \df+ looks better with \x,
> no question.
>
> Ideally I think \x should allow three modes, on, off, and auto, with
> auto doing \x if the row output is wider than the screen.  If we had
> this, backslash commands could be auto, or we can set all queries to
> auto by default.

I have a patch on my local system that fixes the splattering across the
screen you currently get with multiline function definitions. Maybe
once that has been fixed we should revisit this.

Have a nice day,

Re: expanded \df+ display broken in beta4

Дата:
Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
-- Start of PGP signed section.
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 02:51:04PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > Good point.  We modified 8.1 so backslash commands do not honor \x
> > because things like \d look silly in \x, but \df+ looks better with \x,
> > no question.
> >
> > Ideally I think \x should allow three modes, on, off, and auto, with
> > auto doing \x if the row output is wider than the screen.  If we had
> > this, backslash commands could be auto, or we can set all queries to
> > auto by default.
>
> I have a patch on my local system that fixes the splattering across the
> screen you currently get with multiline function definitions. Maybe
> once that has been fixed we should revisit this.

Yes, but \df+ is not multi-line per column.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: expanded \df+ display broken in beta4

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 14:42, Michael Fuhr wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 02:27:50PM -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
> > not sure exactly when this was changed, but expanded display of \df+
> > output is broken in beta4.
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2005-06/msg00423.php
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2005-06/msg00149.php

grr... I thought I remembered Chris KL mentioning something about that
after I sent my email... and I see now that I actually did reply to that
thread saying I liked the \x \df+ output...

Robert Treat

Re: expanded \df+ display broken in beta4

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 14:51, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Good point.  We modified 8.1 so backslash commands do not honor \x
> because things like \d look silly in \x, but \df+ looks better with \x,
> no question.
>
> Ideally I think \x should allow three modes, on, off, and auto, with
> auto doing \x if the row output is wider than the screen.  If we had
> this, backslash commands could be auto, or we can set all queries to
> auto by default.

ISTM even a GUC to enable/disable would have been better scheme than
what we have now; we are basically leaving no options for those who
found the old behavior useful, while what we had before would at least
let people switch back and forth.

Robert Treat

Re: expanded \df+ display broken in beta4

От
"Michael Paesold"
Дата:
Robert Treat wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 14:51, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>
>> Good point.  We modified 8.1 so backslash commands do not honor \x
>> because things like \d look silly in \x, but \df+ looks better with \x,
>> no question.
>>
>> Ideally I think \x should allow three modes, on, off, and auto, with
>> auto doing \x if the row output is wider than the screen.  If we had
>> this, backslash commands could be auto, or we can set all queries to
>> auto by default.
>>

> ISTM even a GUC to enable/disable would have been better scheme than
> what we have now; we are basically leaving no options for those who
> found the old behavior useful, while what we had before would at least
> let people switch back and forth.

I think Robert is right here and the new behaviour is a step backwards.

Best Regards,
Michael Paesold

Re: expanded \df+ display broken in beta4

Дата:
"Michael Paesold" <mpaesold@gmx.at> writes:
> Robert Treat wrote:
>> ISTM even a GUC to enable/disable would have been better scheme than
>> what we have now; we are basically leaving no options for those who
>> found the old behavior useful, while what we had before would at least
>> let people switch back and forth.

> I think Robert is right here and the new behaviour is a step backwards.

Should we revert the patch for the time being, and take another go at it
in 8.2?

Is it practical to have the old behavior for \df (and anything else with
particularly wide output) while still forcing \x off for \d?
        regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> "Michael Paesold" <mpaesold@gmx.at> writes:
>
>>Robert Treat wrote:
>>
>>>ISTM even a GUC to enable/disable would have been better scheme than
>>>what we have now; we are basically leaving no options for those who
>>>found the old behavior useful, while what we had before would at least
>>>let people switch back and forth.
>

>>I think Robert is right here and the new behaviour is a step backwards.
> >
> Should we revert the patch for the time being, and take another go at it
> in 8.2?

As the last option, if there is no quick fix, I'd say yes. Better than
making an incomplete change now and revert that later to get a better
solution.

> Is it practical to have the old behavior for \df (and anything else with
> particularly wide output) while still forcing \x off for \d?

I think there are quite some ways to handle the problem:
1) \x to get the new behaviour, \xx or \x+ to get the new one.

2) Have \x+ or something automatically switch based on screen width.

Other suggestions...
Well, unfortunately, I guess now is not the time to discuss this for 8.1.

Best Regards,
Michael Paesold

Re: expanded \df+ display broken in beta4

Дата:
Michael Paesold wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:

> >>I think Robert is right here and the new behaviour is a step backwards.
> >
>  >
> > Should we revert the patch for the time being, and take another go at it
> > in 8.2?
>
> As the last option, if there is no quick fix, I'd say yes. Better than
> making an incomplete change now and revert that later to get a better
> solution.
>
> > Is it practical to have the old behavior for \df (and anything else with
> > particularly wide output) while still forcing \x off for \d?
>
> I think there are quite some ways to handle the problem:
> 1) \x to get the new behaviour, \xx or \x+ to get the new one.
>
> 2) Have \x+ or something automatically switch based on screen width.
>
> Other suggestions...
> Well, unfortunately, I guess now is not the time to discuss this for 8.1.

One idea is to hack \d not to honor \x, and let the others honor it.
That would probably hit most of the cases people will use in 8.1.

In fact, \d is pretty special because it is more of a group of outputs,
unlike \df, which is a single table output.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: expanded \df+ display broken in beta4

От
Michael Paesold
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Michael Paesold wrote:
>
>>Tom Lane wrote:

>>>Should we revert the patch for the time being, and take another go at it
>>>in 8.2?

> One idea is to hack \d not to honor \x, and let the others honor it.
> That would probably hit most of the cases people will use in 8.1.
>
> In fact, \d is pretty special because it is more of a group of outputs,
> unlike \df, which is a single table output.

+1 from me. That seems like a workable compromise and should probably
meet the needs of the author of the patch to change the \x behavior.

Best Regards,
Michael Paesold