Обсуждение: version dependent compilation

version dependent compilation

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
Apparently, there's currently no way to perform conditional compiling
dependent on the version of pgsql. Currently we're facing the problem
that ParseDateTime changed its parameters between 8.0.3 and 8.0.4,
breaking backward compatibility (for good reasons in this case).

IMHO it's quite helpful to have macros like

#define PGSQL_VERSION_MAJOR    8
#define PGSQL_VERSION_MINOR    0
#define PGSQL_VERSION_POINT    4

or whatever naming scheme seems convenient that allow to catch such
deviations without having to maintain version specific sources manually.
Could be added for  8.1.0, 8.0.5, 7.4.10.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: version dependent compilation

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Am Donnerstag, 6. Oktober 2005 12:50 schrieb Andreas Pflug:
> Apparently, there's currently no way to perform conditional compiling
> dependent on the version of pgsql. Currently we're facing the problem
> that ParseDateTime changed its parameters between 8.0.3 and 8.0.4,
> breaking backward compatibility (for good reasons in this case).

You should write an autoconf test to detect this.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: version dependent compilation

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 10:50:29AM +0000, Andreas Pflug wrote:
> Apparently, there's currently no way to perform conditional compiling
> dependent on the version of pgsql. Currently we're facing the problem
> that ParseDateTime changed its parameters between 8.0.3 and 8.0.4,
> breaking backward compatibility (for good reasons in this case).

Hmm.  People have reported using CATALOG_VERSION_NO for this purpose,
but evidently it's not enough in this case, because that symbol wasn't
changed between 8.0.3 and 8.0.4.  So there's a case for real version
symbols, apparently.

--
Alvaro Herrera       Valdivia, Chile   ICBM: S 39º 49' 17.7", W 73º 14' 26.8"
"Uno combate cuando es necesario... ¡no cuando está de humor!

Re: version dependent compilation

От
"Dave Page"

This is for a contrib-style module that uses pgxs.

Regards, Dave