Обсуждение: 8.1 release notes

8.1 release notes

Дата:
I have finished working on the release notes for the moment:
 http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/release.html#RELEASE-8-1

I will update them just before we put out the beta.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: 8.1 release notes

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
Just so this doesn't get lost (and I don't forget):

Is the intention that standard_conforming_strings will always be
read-only? ISTM it would be very useful if it was used to control the
behavior of strings that weren't E quoted while people are
transitioning. Or is that too difficult to do?

(Unfortunately I couldn't find the answer to this in the hackers
archives...)

In any case, it would be good if the release notes linked to a page that
described the plan for this in more detail. Actually, it would be great
if all the items linked to pages that had more detailed info, even if it
was just the relevant page in the docs or a thread on the mailling list.
If the source sgml is available I can take a stab at this.

On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 03:51:35PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I have finished working on the release notes for the moment:
>
>   http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/release.html#RELEASE-8-1
>
> I will update them just before we put out the beta.

Pervasive Software        http://pervasive.com        512-569-9461

Re: 8.1 release notes

От
Marko Kreen
Дата:
On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 03:51:35PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I have finished working on the release notes for the moment:
>
>   http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/release.html#RELEASE-8-1
>
> I will update them just before we put out the beta.

Here's bit clarified pgcrypto summary:

- Implemention of OpenPGP symmetric- and public-key encryption. Supported are both RSA and Elgamal public-key
algorithms.

- Standalone build: include SHA256/384/512 hashes, Fortuna PRNG.

- OpenSSL build: support 3DES, use internal AES with OpenSSL < 0.9.7.

- Take build parameters (OpenSSL, zlib) from ./configure result. No need to edit Makefile anymore.

The mhash note can stay as-is.

--
marko

Re: 8.1 release notes

Дата:
Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> Just so this doesn't get lost (and I don't forget):
>
> Is the intention that standard_conforming_strings will always be
> read-only? ISTM it would be very useful if it was used to control the
> behavior of strings that weren't E quoted while people are
> transitioning. Or is that too difficult to do?

I think in 8.2 it will be read/write.

> (Unfortunately I couldn't find the answer to this in the hackers
> archives...)
>
> In any case, it would be good if the release notes linked to a page that
> described the plan for this in more detail. Actually, it would be great
> if all the items linked to pages that had more detailed info, even if it
> was just the relevant page in the docs or a thread on the mailling list.
> If the source sgml is available I can take a stab at this.

You are looking in the release notes at all the information there is, so
there is nothing to link to.  :-)  If you want more, send a patch to
release.sgml and I will add it.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: 8.1 release notes

Дата:
Thanks, updated. I suspected there was more than I had listed.

Marko Kreen wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 03:51:35PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I have finished working on the release notes for the moment:
> >
> >   http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/release.html#RELEASE-8-1
> >
> > I will update them just before we put out the beta.
>
> Here's bit clarified pgcrypto summary:
>
> - Implemention of OpenPGP symmetric- and public-key encryption.
>   Supported are both RSA and Elgamal public-key algorithms.
>
> - Standalone build: include SHA256/384/512 hashes, Fortuna PRNG.
>
> - OpenSSL build: support 3DES, use internal AES with OpenSSL < 0.9.7.
>
> - Take build parameters (OpenSSL, zlib) from ./configure result.
>   No need to edit Makefile anymore.
>
> The mhash note can stay as-is.
>
> --
> marko

Pennsylvania19073

Re: 8.1 release notes

От
Marko Kreen
Дата:
On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 05:25:56PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Thanks, updated. I suspected there was more than I had listed.

This patch tidies dots and bit more.

--
marko

Вложения

Re: 8.1 release notes

Дата:
Thanks, done.

Marko Kreen wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 05:25:56PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Thanks, updated. I suspected there was more than I had listed.
>
> This patch tidies dots and bit more.
>
> --
> marko

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

Pennsylvania19073

Re: 8.1 release notes

Дата:
"Jim C. Nasby" <jnasby@pervasive.com> writes:
> Is the intention that standard_conforming_strings will always be
> read-only?

For the moment it's read-only false; the long-term goal is that it will
be read-only true.  In between we will have a release or three where it
is modifiable to some extent.  I personally think it would be a *bad*
idea if it were a mere USERSET variable --- we learned from the
autocommit fiasco that changing fundamental semantics on a whim does
not work.  But there will need to be some way to alter it for testing
purposes during the interregnum.
        regards, tom lane

Re: 8.1 release notes

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 12:26:21AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Jim C. Nasby" <jnasby@pervasive.com> writes:
> > Is the intention that standard_conforming_strings will always be
> > read-only?
>
> For the moment it's read-only false; the long-term goal is that it will
> be read-only true.  In between we will have a release or three where it
> is modifiable to some extent.  I personally think it would be a *bad*
> idea if it were a mere USERSET variable --- we learned from the
> autocommit fiasco that changing fundamental semantics on a whim does
> not work.  But there will need to be some way to alter it for testing
> purposes during the interregnum.

The 'autocommit fiasco' isn't ringing a bell right now, so I'll take
your word for it. :)

Bruce, can you add some info about this to
http://candle.pha.pa.us/cgi-bin/pgescape ? I intend to link to that when
I submit a patch to the release notes that links to more info on the
individual items.
Pervasive Software        http://pervasive.com        512-569-9461

Re: 8.1 release notes

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Wednesday 24 August 2005 02:01, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 12:26:21AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > "Jim C. Nasby" <jnasby@pervasive.com> writes:
> > > Is the intention that standard_conforming_strings will always be
> > > read-only?
> >
> > For the moment it's read-only false; the long-term goal is that it will
> > be read-only true.  In between we will have a release or three where it
> > is modifiable to some extent.  I personally think it would be a *bad*
> > idea if it were a mere USERSET variable --- we learned from the
> > autocommit fiasco that changing fundamental semantics on a whim does
> > not work.  But there will need to be some way to alter it for testing
> > purposes during the interregnum.
>
> The 'autocommit fiasco' isn't ringing a bell right now, so I'll take
> your word for it. :)
>
> Bruce, can you add some info about this to
> http://candle.pha.pa.us/cgi-bin/pgescape ? I intend to link to that when
> I submit a patch to the release notes that links to more info on the
> individual items.

it seems odd to me to be linking to random pages on the net from the release
notes... could that content be folder into the docs themselves and then a
pointer to the relevent section of the docs be given instead?

--
Robert Treat

Re: 8.1 release notes

Дата:
Robert Treat wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 August 2005 02:01, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> > >
> > > For the moment it's read-only false; the long-term goal is that it will
> > > be read-only true.  In between we will have a release or three where it
> > > is modifiable to some extent.  I personally think it would be a *bad*
> > > idea if it were a mere USERSET variable --- we learned from the
> > > autocommit fiasco that changing fundamental semantics on a whim does
> > > not work.  But there will need to be some way to alter it for testing
> > > purposes during the interregnum.
> >
> > The 'autocommit fiasco' isn't ringing a bell right now, so I'll take
> > your word for it. :)
> >
> > Bruce, can you add some info about this to
> > http://candle.pha.pa.us/cgi-bin/pgescape ? I intend to link to that when
> > I submit a patch to the release notes that links to more info on the
> > individual items.
>
> it seems odd to me to be linking to random pages on the net from the release
> notes... could that content be folder into the docs themselves and then a
> pointer to the relevent section of the docs be given instead?

Yes, I am thinking that is best too.

I have added this to the release notes:
      Also, use two single-quotes ('') to embed a literal single-quote      in a string, rather than the
PostgreSQL-supportedsyntax of      backslash single-quote (\').  The former is standards-conforming      and does not
requirethe use of the E'' string syntax.  You can      also use the $$ string syntax, which does not treat backslashes
   specially.

Pennsylvania19073