Обсуждение: Tablepartitioning: Will it be supported in Future?

Tablepartitioning: Will it be supported in Future?

От
"apoc9009@yahoo.de"
Дата:
Hi PSQL Hackers,

I have done the following Post to PSQL Performance, but Richard Huxton
say it
might be a better Idea to post it again on you List so i forward the
message.

apoc9009@yahoo.de wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Ia a Guy from Germany an a strong Postgres believer!
> It is the best OpenSource Database i have ever  have bee tasted and i
> try to using
> it in any Database Environments.
>
> It is exiting to see thadt Verison 8.0 has Tablespaces like ORACLE and
> DB/2,
> but i need Partitioning on a few very large Tables.

I believe these are being worked on at the moment. You might want to
search the archives of the hackers mailing list to see if the plans will
suit your needs.

--  Richard Huxton Archonet Ltd

Re: Tablepartitioning: Will it be supported in Future?

От
"Qingqing Zhou"
Дата:
<apoc9009@yahoo.de> writes
> I have done the following Post to PSQL Performance, but Richard Huxton
> say it
> might be a better Idea to post it again on you List so i forward the
> message.
> It is exiting to see thadt Verison 8.0 has Tablespaces like ORACLE and
> DB/2,
> but i need Partitioning on a few very large Tables.

Richard said you can *search* in this list ...  Here are two links might be
of your interests:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2004-12/msg00101.php  - how
to do horizonal partition using inheritance;

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2005-03/msg00370.php - a
long list of discussing the future partition implementation;

Regards,
Qingqing

Re: Tablepartitioning: Will it be supported in Future?

От
"apoc9009@yahoo.de"
Дата:
Ok!
The Links your posted are great and i guessing it will help me a lot!

But the other Question (if Tablepartitioning under Developemt and will
it be supported generally)
is still alive.

Josh

Qingqing Zhou wrote:

><apoc9009@yahoo.de> writes
>

>>I have done the following Post to PSQL Performance, but Richard Huxton
>>say it
>>might be a better Idea to post it again on you List so i forward the
>>message.

>>It is exiting to see thadt Verison 8.0 has Tablespaces like ORACLE and
>>DB/2,
>>but i need Partitioning on a few very large Tables.

>Richard said you can *search* in this list ...  Here are two links might be
>of your interests:
>
>http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2004-12/msg00101.php  - how
>to do horizonal partition using inheritance;
>
>http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2005-03/msg00370.php - a
>long list of discussing the future partition implementation;
>

>Regards,
>Qingqing

>   *

bitmapscan test, no success, bs is not faster

От
Pavel Stehule
Дата:
Hello,

I tested bitmap scan and maybe I didnt find good examples, but with bitmap
scan is slower than hashjoin. Only when I use non otiptimized SELECT bps
was little bit faster. All my SELECTs are equal.
          bsp off         bsp on (ms)
SELECT 1   39.798          37.993
SELECT 2   0.310           0.330
SELECT 3   0.387           0.416

SQL and query plans are in attachment.

Regards
Pavel Stehule

Re: bitmapscan test, no success, again

От
Pavel Stehule
Дата:
Hello,

I get success, with my hyphotetic sample on big table (100000 rec) Bitmap
index scan is really usefull.

I tested select count(*) from foo where  v IN (11,11,23,11,11,11,11,11,22,71,11)

Some notes.

1. with bitmap index scan 7.16 ms
2. without bis 165.731 ms (seq. scan) !!!!

3. list of constant contains equals values. Is possible remove it? explain analyze select count(*) from foo   where v
in(11,11,11,12)

Regards

Pavel Stehule

Re: bitmapscan test, no success, bs is not faster

Дата:
Pavel Stehule <stehule@kix.fsv.cvut.cz> writes:
> I tested bitmap scan and maybe I didnt find good examples, but with bitmap
> scan is slower than hashjoin. Only when I use non otiptimized SELECT bps
> was little bit faster. All my SELECTs are equal.

Bitmap scans can't possibly be any faster for cases where the indexscan
only fetches one row, which is true of all your test cases AFAICS.

It should be at least marginally faster than the old code for cases
involving overlapping ORed conditions, that isWHERE some-indexable-condition OR some-other-indexable-condition
where the conditions retrieve some of the same rows.

But I think the real win will come on ANDing of distinct indexes, that
isWHERE condition-for-index-A AND condition-for-index-B
where neither of the index conditions is individually very selective but
together they select just a few rows.  Before, the optimizer could only
choose one index or the other ... but now it can use both.

An example in the regression database is

regression=# explain analyze select * from tenk1 where hundred between 1 and 10 and thousand between 1 and 100;
                                                     QUERY PLAN

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Bitmap
HeapScan on tenk1  (cost=19.91..234.07 rows=94 width=244) (actual time=7.372..8.560 rows=100 loops=1)  Recheck Cond:
((hundred>= 1) AND (hundred <= 10) AND (thousand >= 1) AND (thousand <= 100))  ->  BitmapAnd  (cost=19.91..19.91
rows=94width=0) (actual time=7.094..7.094 rows=0 loops=1)        ->  Bitmap Index Scan on tenk1_hundred
(cost=0.00..9.62rows=937 width=0) (actual time=3.210..3.210 rows=1000 loops=1)              Index Cond: ((hundred >= 1)
AND(hundred <= 10))        ->  Bitmap Index Scan on tenk1_thous_tenthous  (cost=0.00..10.04 rows=1007 width=0) (actual
time=3.147..3.147rows=1000 loops=1)              Index Cond: ((thousand >= 1) AND (thousand <= 100))Total runtime:
9.505ms

(8 rows)

In 8.0 this looks like

regression=# explain analyze select * from tenk1 where hundred between 1 and 10 and thousand between 1 and 100;
                                   QUERY PLAN

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Seq Scan on
tenk1 (cost=0.00..558.00 rows=99 width=244) (actual time=0.171..69.189 rows=100 loops=1)  Filter: ((hundred >= 1) AND
(hundred<= 10) AND (thousand >= 1) AND (thousand <= 100))Total runtime: 70.013 ms

(3 rows)

The optimizer is a bit off on the relative merits of seqscan and
indexscan for this case, but even the indexscan is not in the same
ballpark, because it has to choose just one index to use:

regression=# set enable_seqscan to 0;
SET
regression=# explain analyze select * from tenk1 where hundred between 1 and 10 and thousand between 1 and 100;
                                               QUERY PLAN

Scanusing tenk1_hundred on tenk1  (cost=0.00..1455.48 rows=99 width=244) (actual time=10.762..24.454 rows=100 loops=1)
IndexCond: ((hundred >= 1) AND (hundred <= 10))  Filter: ((thousand >= 1) AND (thousand <= 100))Total runtime: 25.384
ms
(4 rows)

        regards, tom lane

Re: bitmapscan test, no success, bs is not faster

От
Oleg Bartunov
Дата:
It's interesting, that Tom's example behaves different on my notebook:

8.02 (default optimization)
regression=# explain analyze select * from tenk1 where hundred between 1 and 10 and thousand between 1 and 100;
                                                  QUERY PLAN

IndexScan using tenk1_thous_tenthous on tenk1  (cost=0.00..142.91 rows=1 width=244) (actual time=0.369..7.378 rows=100
loops=1)  Index Cond: ((thousand >= 1) AND (thousand <= 100))   Filter: ((hundred >= 1) AND (hundred <= 10)) Total
runtime:8.100 ms

(4 rows)

CVS HEAD
regression=# explain analyze select * from tenk1 where hundred between 1 and 10 and thousand between 1 and 100;
                                                      QUERY PLAN

BitmapHeap Scan on tenk1  (cost=20.14..236.96 rows=98 width=244) (actual time=3.116..6.857 rows=100 loops=1)   Recheck
Cond:((hundred >= 1) AND (hundred <= 10) AND (thousand >= 1) AND (thousand <= 100))   ->  BitmapAnd  (cost=20.14..20.14
rows=98width=0) (actual time=3.009..3.009 rows=0 loops=1)         ->  Bitmap Index Scan on tenk1_hundred
(cost=0.00..9.83rows=971 width=0) (actual time=1.497..1.497 rows=1000 loops=1)               Index Cond: ((hundred >=
1)AND (hundred <= 10))         ->  Bitmap Index Scan on tenk1_thous_tenthous  (cost=0.00..10.07 rows=1011 width=0)
(actualtime=1.179..1.179 rows=1000 loops=1)               Index Cond: ((thousand >= 1) AND (thousand <= 100)) Total
runtime:7.568 ms

(8 rows)

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Tom Lane wrote:

> [...]

>   Filter: ((hundred >= 1) AND (hundred <= 10) AND (thousand >= 1) AND (thousand <= 100))
> Total runtime: 70.013 ms
> (3 rows)
>
> The optimizer is a bit off on the relative merits of seqscan and
> indexscan for this case, but even the indexscan is not in the same
> ballpark, because it has to choose just one index to use:
>
> regression=# set enable_seqscan to 0;
> SET
> regression=# explain analyze select * from tenk1 where hundred between 1 and 10 and thousand between 1 and 100;
>                                                          QUERY PLAN

> Index Scan using tenk1_hundred on tenk1  (cost=0.00..1455.48 rows=99 width=244) (actual time=10.762..24.454 rows=100
loops=1)
>   Index Cond: ((hundred >= 1) AND (hundred <= 10))
>   Filter: ((thousand >= 1) AND (thousand <= 100))

    Regards,        Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: bitmapscan test, no success, bs is not faster

От
Oleg Bartunov
Дата:
I didn't vacuum tenk1 after loading into 8.02, so optimizer was optimistic
and used index. After vacuuming I got what's Tom get.
On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Tom Lane wrote:

> In 8.0 this looks like
>
> regression=# explain analyze select * from tenk1 where hundred between 1 and 10 and thousand between 1 and 100;
>                                              QUERY PLAN
> Seq Scan on tenk1  (cost=0.00..558.00 rows=99 width=244) (actual time=0.171..69.189 rows=100 loops=1)
>   Filter: ((hundred >= 1) AND (hundred <= 10) AND (thousand >= 1) AND (thousand <= 100))
> Total runtime: 70.013 ms
> (3 rows)
    Regards,        Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: bitmapscan test, no success, bs is not faster

От
Pavel Stehule
Дата:
On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Tom Lane wrote:

> Pavel Stehule <stehule@kix.fsv.cvut.cz> writes:
> > I tested bitmap scan and maybe I didnt find good examples, but with bitmap
> > scan is slower than hashjoin. Only when I use non otiptimized SELECT bps
> > was little bit faster. All my SELECTs are equal.
>
> Bitmap scans can't possibly be any faster for cases where the indexscan
> only fetches one row, which is true of all your test cases AFAICS.

yes, it's true. I found some selects where the benefit of bitmap scans is
more clearly. There is only one small problem - optimizer didn't
have to choose plan with bitmap scan in my examples.

Thank you for explication,
Regards
Pavel Stehule

Re: Tablepartitioning: Will it be supported in Future?

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
There is a fairly lengthy discussion going on right now on the bizgres
mailing list about this topic, if your interested in helping out you
might want to join that list.

Robert Treat

On Tue, 2005-04-26 at 05:43, apoc9009@yahoo.de wrote:
> Ok!
> The Links your posted are great and i guessing it will help me a lot!
>
> But the other Question (if Tablepartitioning under Developemt and will
> it be supported generally)
> is still alive.
>
> Josh
>
> Qingqing Zhou wrote:
>
> ><apoc9009@yahoo.de> writes
> >

> >>I have done the following Post to PSQL Performance, but Richard Huxton
> >>say it
> >>might be a better Idea to post it again on you List so i forward the
> >>message.

> >>It is exiting to see thadt Verison 8.0 has Tablespaces like ORACLE and
> >>DB/2,
> >>but i need Partitioning on a few very large Tables.

> >Richard said you can *search* in this list ...  Here are two links might be
> >of your interests:
> >
> >http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2004-12/msg00101.php  - how
> >to do horizonal partition using inheritance;
> >
> >http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2005-03/msg00370.php - a
> >long list of discussing the future partition implementation;
> >

> >Regards,
> >Qingqing

>     *

Re: Tablepartitioning: Will it be supported in Future?

От
Hannu Krosing
Дата:
On T, 2005-04-26 at 16:52 -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
> There is a fairly lengthy discussion going on right now on the bizgres
> mailing list about this topic, if your interested in helping out you
> might want to join that list.

Wow! there is a BizGres mailinglist !?

And this is where the table-partitioning discussion is!

Where is this mailing list ? I found nothing about it on bizgres
website.

I'd be definitely interested!

--
Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee>

Re: Tablepartitioning: Will it be supported in Future?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Hannu,

> > There is a fairly lengthy discussion going on right now on the bizgres
> > mailing list about this topic, if your interested in helping out you
> > might want to join that list.
>
> Wow! there is a BizGres mailinglist !?
>
> And this is where the table-partitioning discussion is!
>
> Where is this mailing list ? I found nothing about it on bizgres
> website.

Yes, it's under Developer/Projects.   I need to provide more links on stuff.

> I'd be definitely interested!

http://www.pgfoundry.org/projects/bizgres

--Josh

--
__Aglio Database Solutions_______________
Josh Berkus               Consultant

Re: Tablepartitioning: Will it be supported in Future?

От
Hannu Krosing
Дата:
On K, 2005-04-27 at 15:40 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Hannu,
>
> > > There is a fairly lengthy discussion going on right now on the bizgres
> > > mailing list about this topic, if your interested in helping out you
> > > might want to join that list.
> >
> > Wow! there is a BizGres mailinglist !?
> >
> > And this is where the table-partitioning discussion is!
> >
> > Where is this mailing list ? I found nothing about it on bizgres
> > website.
>
> Yes, it's under Developer/Projects.   I need to provide more links on stuff.

Jap. Already found and subscribed once I learned that I have to search
under bizgres ;) .

Thanks!

--
Hannu Krosing <hannu@skype.net>

Re: Tablepartitioning: Will it be supported in Future?

От
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Дата:
> There is a fairly lengthy discussion going on right now on the bizgres
> mailing list about this topic, if your interested in helping out you
> might want to join that list.

What's the point of keeping such backend development discussion separate
from the -hackers list?  It's always been a mistake in the past...

Chris

Re: Tablepartitioning: Will it be supported in Future?

Дата:
Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> > There is a fairly lengthy discussion going on right now on the bizgres
> > mailing list about this topic, if your interested in helping out you
> > might want to join that list.
>
> What's the point of keeping such backend development discussion separate
> from the -hackers list?  It's always been a mistake in the past...

That was my impression too.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: Tablepartitioning: Will it be supported in Future?

От
Neil Conway
Дата:
Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> What's the point of keeping such backend development discussion separate
> from the -hackers list?  It's always been a mistake in the past...

Yeah, it struck me as a bad idea as well.

-Neil