Обсуждение: Fixing PKs and Uniques in tablespaces

Fixing PKs and Uniques in tablespaces

От
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Дата:
Does anyone object to extending the grammar to allow this?

ALTER TABLE test ADD PRIMARY KEY (a) TABLESPACE foo;

ALTER TABLE test ADD UNIQUE (a) TABLESPACE foo;

CREATE TABLE test (a INTEGER PRIMARY KEY TABLESPACE foo);

CREATE TABLE test (a INTEGER UNIQUE TABLESPACE foo);

This is needed since we can move indexes between tablespaces now.  It
makes pg_dump support for it possible and prevents huge performance cost
associated with creating the primary key and then having to move it.

If there are no objects, I've already mostly finished the patch and I'll
send it in.

Chris

Re: Fixing PKs and Uniques in tablespaces

Дата:
> Does anyone object to extending the grammar to allow this?

Yes.  This is horribly ugly, and I suspect that you cannot do it
without making TABLESPACE a fully-reserved word.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Fixing PKs and Uniques in tablespaces

От
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Дата:
> Yes.  This is horribly ugly, and I suspect that you cannot do it
> without making TABLESPACE a fully-reserved word.

No, I've already done it and it works just fine.  What is your
suggestion then?  Just assume the name of the index it will get?

Also, I realised that the pg_get_serial_sequence() doesn't solve the
whole sequence autonaming problem  :(  Specifically, dump entries like this:

COMMENT ON SEQUENCE blah_seq IS 'asdfsdfa';

Chris

Re: Fixing PKs and Uniques in tablespaces

От
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Дата:
>>Does anyone object to extending the grammar to allow this?
>
> Yes.  This is horribly ugly, and I suspect that you cannot do it
> without making TABLESPACE a fully-reserved word.

I note that this seems to be the Oracle syntax:

CONSTRAINT PK_Stock PRIMARY KEY (Company) USING INDEX TABLESPACE
Appl_Indexes

http://www.siue.edu/~dbock/cmis564/otext4.htm

Since we stole tablespaces from Oracle, maybe we should make them work
the same?

Chris

Re: Fixing PKs and Uniques in tablespaces

От
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Дата:
>>Does anyone object to extending the grammar to allow this?
>
> Yes.  This is horribly ugly, and I suspect that you cannot do it
> without making TABLESPACE a fully-reserved word.

This suggests a slightly different oracle syntax.  I guess the word
'index' is optional.

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/ch_18.html

Chris

Re: Fixing PKs and Uniques in tablespaces

От
Gavin Sherry
Дата:
On Thu, 22 Jul 2004, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> >>Does anyone object to extending the grammar to allow this?
> >
> > Yes.  This is horribly ugly, and I suspect that you cannot do it
> > without making TABLESPACE a fully-reserved word.
>
> I note that this seems to be the Oracle syntax:
>
> CONSTRAINT PK_Stock PRIMARY KEY (Company) USING INDEX TABLESPACE
> Appl_Indexes
>
> http://www.siue.edu/~dbock/cmis564/otext4.htm
>
> Since we stole tablespaces from Oracle, maybe we should make them work
> the same?

I never really considered oracle's implementation of tablespaces when I
worked on tablespaces. The database default tablespace seems similar to
Oracle's SYSTEM tablespace. I'm not sure if they use a global tablespace
like we do.

I also cannot find any information about Oracle placing object's in their
parent's table space if a tablespace isn't specified.

Tablespaces in Oracle also do raw block device stuff, which we obviously
don't.

I'd dare say that tablespaces in Oracle don't use symlinks either :-)

Gavin

Re: Fixing PKs and Uniques in tablespaces

От
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Дата:
>>Since we stole tablespaces from Oracle, maybe we should make them work
>>the same?
>
> I never really considered oracle's implementation of tablespaces when I
> worked on tablespaces. The database default tablespace seems similar to
> Oracle's SYSTEM tablespace. I'm not sure if they use a global tablespace
> like we do.

My point was that Oracle has added a tablespace clause to the constraint
clause, so we can too!

Also, since I checked and it seems that our syntax for putting tables an
d indexes in tablespaces at creation time is identical to oracle's,
perhaps we should copy them on constraints as well.

Chris

Re: Fixing PKs and Uniques in tablespaces

От
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Дата:
>> I never really considered oracle's implementation of tablespaces when I
>> worked on tablespaces. The database default tablespace seems similar to
>> Oracle's SYSTEM tablespace. I'm not sure if they use a global tablespace
>> like we do.
>

> My point was that Oracle has added a tablespace clause to the constraint
> clause, so we can too!
>
> Also, since I checked and it seems that our syntax for putting tables an
> d indexes in tablespaces at creation time is identical to oracle's,
> perhaps we should copy them on constraints as well.

Since we're getting close to beta, can we have consensus on what I'm to
do about this?

Chris

Re: Fixing PKs and Uniques in tablespaces

От
Gaetano Mendola
Дата:
Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
>>> I never really considered oracle's implementation of tablespaces when I
>>> worked on tablespaces. The database default tablespace seems similar to
>>> Oracle's SYSTEM tablespace. I'm not sure if they use a global tablespace
>>> like we do.
>>

>> My point was that Oracle has added a tablespace clause to the
>> constraint clause, so we can too!
>>
>> Also, since I checked and it seems that our syntax for putting tables
>> an d indexes in tablespaces at creation time is identical to oracle's,
>> perhaps we should copy them on constraints as well.
>

> Since we're getting close to beta, can we have consensus on what I'm to
> do about this?

We are already in a features freeze period, or not ?

Regards
Gaetano Mendola

Re: Fixing PKs and Uniques in tablespaces

От
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Дата:
> We are already in a features freeze period, or not ?

This isn't a feature, it's a bug...

Chris

Re: Fixing PKs and Uniques in tablespaces

От
"Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD"
Дата:
> > Also, since I checked and it seems that our syntax for putting tables an
> > d indexes in tablespaces at creation time is identical to oracle's,
> > perhaps we should copy them on constraints as well.
>
> Since we're getting close to beta, can we have consensus on what I'm to
> do about this?

The Oracle 10g documentation has: USING INDEX TABLESPACE blabla
none of the words are optional.

Andreas

Re: Fixing PKs and Uniques in tablespaces

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> > Also, since I checked and it seems that our syntax for putting
> > tables an d indexes in tablespaces at creation time is identical to
> > oracle's, perhaps we should copy them on constraints as well.
>
> Since we're getting close to beta, can we have consensus on what I'm
> to do about this?

I think it's OK if  you can do the Oracle syntax (or some other
established syntax) without reserving the key word TABLESPACE.

--
Peter Eisentraut