Обсуждение: Twelve days to feature freeze

Twelve days to feature freeze

Дата:
We have twelve days until July 1, feature freeze.

Looking at our list:

Win32 - need service manger code, installer is outside project

Tablespaces - patch installed;  discussing implementation and
administration details.

Nested transactions - submitted, with phantom xids;  only needs trigger
and guc work.  Tom is going to review it in the next few days.  We need
to determine that we can complete all the needed nested transaction work
by July 1, and we need to give Alvaro feedback so he can complete any
needed items.  I feel bad we haven't given him feedback sooner, but the
patch is difficult to review because it is so large, and Alvaro has been
continuing to improve it.  With phantom xids done, he is almost
complete so we need to give him feedback soon.

PITR - Simon is working on doing restores by calling an external program
to transfer one file at a time into the pg_xlog directory, processing
it, then deleting it.  I think he will be done in a few days, and we
will review his patch soon.

The only good thing about the delay in applying these patches is that
the CVS tree isn't moving very much.

We are also looking to get pg_autovacuum in the backend done and there
are a number of almost-finished patches floating around that I hope we
can get in.

I will have sporatic connectivity after Monday while I am in Europe so
will only be able to help occasionally.  Tom will be doing most of the
heavy lifting to get us to feature freeze.  Thanks, Tom!

Pennsylvania19073

Re: Twelve days to feature freeze

От
"Andrew Dunstan"
Дата:
Bruce Momjian said:
> We have twelve days until July 1, feature freeze.
>
> Looking at our list:
>
> Win32 - need service manger code, installer is outside project
>
> Tablespaces - patch installed;  discussing implementation and
> administration details.
>
> Nested transactions - submitted, with phantom xids;  only needs trigger
> and guc work.  Tom is going to review it in the next few days.  We need
> to determine that we can complete all the needed nested transaction
> work by July 1, and we need to give Alvaro feedback so he can complete
> any needed items.  I feel bad we haven't given him feedback sooner, but
> the patch is difficult to review because it is so large, and Alvaro has
> been continuing to improve it.  With phantom xids done, he is almost
> complete so we need to give him feedback soon.
>
> PITR - Simon is working on doing restores by calling an external
> program to transfer one file at a time into the pg_xlog directory,
> processing it, then deleting it.  I think he will be done in a few
> days, and we will review his patch soon.
>
> The only good thing about the delay in applying these patches is that
> the CVS tree isn't moving very much.
>
> We are also looking to get pg_autovacuum in the backend done and there
> are a number of almost-finished patches floating around that I hope we
> can get in.
>
> I will have sporatic connectivity after Monday while I am in Europe so
> will only be able to help occasionally.  Tom will be doing most of the
> heavy lifting to get us to feature freeze.  Thanks, Tom!

I am still hopeful that we can get a significant plperl improvement before
feature freeze, including shared data space, set returning funcs,
composite returning funcs, triggers and an spi query mechanism. It will be
touch and go and we might not make the cut, but i'm going to try.

cheers

andrew

Re: Twelve days to feature freeze

Дата:
"Andrew Dunstan" <andrew@dunslane.net> writes:
> I am still hopeful that we can get a significant plperl improvement before
> feature freeze, including shared data space, set returning funcs,
> composite returning funcs, triggers and an spi query mechanism. It will be
> touch and go and we might not make the cut, but i'm going to try.

I think we're trying to discourage people from the "submit big patch
on June 30" mindset.  If you've got any chance of making feature freeze
then you must have something fairly interesting already.  Put up a
work-in-progress patch so that you can get some feedback sooner, instead
of later.

As an example, Alvaro's been putting up WIP patches for nested
transactions regularly.  I have to admit that I personally have been
awful about giving him any feedback, but others have done more.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Twelve days to feature freeze

От
"Dave Page"