Обсуждение: What can we learn from MySQL?

What can we learn from MySQL?

Дата:
Here is a blog about a recent MySQL conference with title, "Why MySQL
Grew So Fast":

    http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/4715

and a a Slashdot discussion about it:

    http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/04/20/2229212&mode=nested&tid=137&tid=185&tid=187&tid=198

My question is, "What can we learn from MySQL?"  I don't know there is
anything, but I think it makes sense to ask the question.

Questions I have are:

    o  Are we marketing ourselves properly?
    o  Are we focused enough on ease-of-use issues?
    o  How do we position ourselves against a database that some
       say is "good enough" (MySQL), and another one that some
       say is "too much"  (Oracle)
    o  Are our priorities too technically driven?

Re: What can we learn from MySQL?

От
David Garamond
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> My question is, "What can we learn from MySQL?"  I don't know there is
> anything, but I think it makes sense to ask the question.

MySQL was my first introduction to SQL databases (I had dabbled with
Clipper and Foxpro years earlier, but only for a couple of months and
had forgotten most of it by then). So practically all I knew about SQL
and RDBMS I got from the MySQL manual. IIRC, MySQL has a chapter for
beginners, on how to create your first database and tables, how to
insert a record, etc.

I see that the Pg manual already has that. Good.

The problem is that, since MySQL was my only SQL database I knew for a
long time, I didn't know that an RDBMS can be [much] more than what
MySQL was/is. I could only do simple SELECTs (no JOINs, let alone
subselect since MySQL doesn't support it) but found it sufficient, since
I did most of the hard work from Perl/PHP (for example, doing an
adjacency tree query by several SELECTs and combining the results myself
from the client side).

I didn't know squat about stored procedures or triggers or check
constraints. I had no idea what a foreign key is -- and when MySQL
manual says it's not necessary, slow, and evil, I believed it.

I never bothered checking out other databases until I started reading
more about transactions, reliability, Date/Codd, and other more
theoretical stuffs. Only then I started trying out Interbase, Firebird,
SAPDB, DB2, Oracle, and later Pg.

So in my opinion, as long as the general awareness about RDBMS (on what
tasks/responsibilities it should do, what features it generally has to
have, etc) is low, people will be looking at MySQL as "good enough" and
will not be motivated to look around for something better. As a
comparison, I'm always amazed by people who use Windows 95/98/Me. They
find it normal/"good enough" that the system crashes every now and then,
has to be rebooted every few hours (or every time they install
something). They don't know of anything better.

So perhaps the direction of advocacy should be towards increasing that
awareness?

--
dave

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What can we learn from MySQL?

От
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Дата:
> My question is, "What can we learn from MySQL?"  I don't know there is
> anything, but I think it makes sense to ask the question.
>
> Questions I have are:

I have already told Bruce at length about the single most common
complaint in the phpPgAdmin lists and in the IRC channel: the inability
to change column types.  I think we should listen to the punters on that
one.

Also, how about a new section in the manual: PostgreSQL for MySQL users
and PostgreSQL for Oracle users?

Chris

Re: What can we learn from MySQL?

От
Shachar Shemesh
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

>Here is a blog about a recent MySQL conference with title, "Why MySQL
>Grew So Fast":
>
>    http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/4715
>
>and a a Slashdot discussion about it:
>
>    http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/04/20/2229212&mode=nested&tid=137&tid=185&tid=187&tid=198
>
>My question is, "What can we learn from MySQL?"  I don't know there is
>anything, but I think it makes sense to ask the question.
>
>Questions I have are:
>
>    o  Are we marketing ourselves properly?
>    o  Are we focused enough on ease-of-use issues?
>    o  How do we position ourselves against a database that some
>       say is "good enough" (MySQL), and another one that some
>       say is "too much"  (Oracle)
>    o  Are our priorities too technically driven?

Do we care enough about interoperability?

When I ask about non-standard complience of Pg (turning unquoted
identifiers to lowercase instead of uppercase, violating the SQL
standard, and requring an expensive rewrite of clients), and I get the
answer "uppercase is ugly", I think something is wrong.

To be fair, I got a fair amount of legitimate problems with MIGRATING to
standard compliency. I find these issues legitimate, though solveable.
Getting a "we prefer lowercase to the standard", however, means to me
that even if I write a patch to start migration, I'm not likely to get
it in.

          Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting

Re: What can we learn from MySQL?

От
Fabien COELHO
Дата:
> My question is, "What can we learn from MySQL?"  I don't know there is
> anything, but I think it makes sense to ask the question.
>
> Questions I have are:
>
>     o  Are we focused enough on ease-of-use issues?

There are two issues here : ease-of-use for admin and basic users.

I recognize my focus on the later as someone using pg as a teaching tool.

Having a correct SQL implementation, referential integrity and
transactions is an important issue when explaining DB concepts.
That's why I could not have used mysql.

Having some help/hint/advices/caveat provided for basic users would help.
But some of the change I submitted require a lot of changes, especially in
the parser, hence are rejected.

I also submit patch to try to fix some "surprises" (there is != but not
==, non-user tables are in stat_.._user_tables viewa...) I had while using
pg.

My agenda is quite hard to get thru the hacker/patch lists. Maybe
because the patches I sent are not really good enough, but also because
it is not a real focus of postgres developers.

On for former point, admin ease-of-use, A little story a few month ago.

I succeeded in advising production people here to switch some applications
from a mysql database, which was working perfectly, to a postgres
database. A few weeks later, the performances were desastrous. 30 seconds
to get an answer to a simple select on a 1500 entries tables. After
investigation, the problems were:

 - no vacuum, although there were daily "DELETE FROM tables;"
   to empty all the data and reload from another source.

 - no analyze, because the admin did not know about it.

 - very small "shared_buffers" setting (16 the minimum thanks to FreeBSD
   default installation...).

With mysql, you don't need to vacuum analyze, and I think the memory
management maybe more or less "automatic".

I think that the default configuration should have some "automagic"
features so that reasonnable values are chosen depending on the available
resources, which would allow basic users not to care about it.

memory_management = auto/manual...

You also need to have a basic standalone binary port to windows.  I wish I
could allow simply my students to use pg on their home computers. Well, it
does not work that simply, you need cygwin at the time, and I haven't seen
the windows binary available for download from the pg download page.

>     o  How do we position ourselves against a database that some
>        say is "good enough" (MySQL), and another one that some
>        say is "too much"  (Oracle)

"free and serious".

>     o  Are our priorities too technically driven?

Not bad if other agendas can also get through.

--
Fabien Coelho - coelho@cri.ensmp.fr

Re: What can we learn from MySQL?

От
Karel Zak
Дата:
On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 01:05:21PM +0700, David Garamond wrote:
> So in my opinion, as long as the general awareness about RDBMS (on what
> tasks/responsibilities it should do, what features it generally has to
> have, etc) is low, people will be looking at MySQL as "good enough" and
> will not be motivated to look around for something better. As a
> comparison, I'm always amazed by people who use Windows 95/98/Me. They
> find it normal/"good enough" that the system crashes every now and then,
> has to be rebooted every few hours (or every time they install
> something). They don't know of anything better.

 Agree. People don't know that an RDBMS can be more better.

 A lot of users think speed  is the most important thing. And they check
 the performance  of SQL server by  "time mysql -e "SELECT..."  but they
 don't know something about concurrency or locking.

 BTW,  is the  current MySQL  target (replication,  transactions, ..etc)
 what typical MySQL users expect? I think  they will lost users who love
 classic, fast and simple MySQL. The  trade with advanced SQL servers is
 pretty  full. I don't  understand why  MySQL developers  want to  leave
 their current possition and want  to fight with PostgreSQL, Oracle, DB2
 .. etc.

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz>
 http://home.zf.jcu.cz/~zakkr/

Re: What can we learn from MySQL?

От
Dennis Bjorklund
Дата:
On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Shachar Shemesh wrote:

> When I ask about non-standard complience of Pg (turning unquoted
> identifiers to lowercase instead of uppercase, violating the SQL
> standard, and requring an expensive rewrite of clients), and I get the
> answer "uppercase is ugly", I think something is wrong.

I would love if someone fixed pg so that one can get the standard
behaviour. It would however have to be a setting that can be changed so we
are still backward compatible.

> that even if I write a patch to start migration, I'm not likely to get
> it in.

Just changing to uppercase would break old code so such a patch should not
just be commited. But would people stop a patch that is backward
compatible (in the worst case a setting during initdb)? I'm not so sure
they will.

--
/Dennis Björklund

Re: What can we learn from MySQL?

От
Hans-Jürgen Schönig
Karel Zak wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 01:05:21PM +0700, David Garamond wrote:
>
>>So in my opinion, as long as the general awareness about RDBMS (on what
>>tasks/responsibilities it should do, what features it generally has to
>>have, etc) is low, people will be looking at MySQL as "good enough" and
>>will not be motivated to look around for something better. As a
>>comparison, I'm always amazed by people who use Windows 95/98/Me. They
>>find it normal/"good enough" that the system crashes every now and then,
>>has to be rebooted every few hours (or every time they install
>>something). They don't know of anything better.
>

>  Agree. People don't know that an RDBMS can be more better.
>
>  A lot of users think speed  is the most important thing. And they check
>  the performance  of SQL server by  "time mysql -e "SELECT..."  but they
>  don't know something about concurrency or locking.

Even worse: They benchmark "SELECT 1+1" one million times.
The performance of "SELECT 1+1" has NOTHING to do with the REAL
performance of a database.
Has anybody seen the benchmarks on MySQL??? They have benchmarked
"CREATE TABLE" and so forth. This is the most useless thing I have ever
seen.

It is so annoying _ I had to post it ;).

    Regards,

        Hans

--
Cybertec Geschwinde u Schoenig
Schoengrabern 134, A-2020 Hollabrunn, Austria

Re: What can we learn from MySQL?

Дата:
Dennis Bjorklund <db@zigo.dhs.org> writes:
> On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Shachar Shemesh wrote:
>> When I ask about non-standard complience of Pg (turning unquoted
>> identifiers to lowercase instead of uppercase, violating the SQL
>> standard, and requring an expensive rewrite of clients), and I get the
>> answer "uppercase is ugly", I think something is wrong.

> I would love if someone fixed pg so that one can get the standard
> behaviour. It would however have to be a setting that can be changed so we
> are still backward compatible.

Yes.  There have been repeated discussions about how to do this, but
no one's come up with a solution that seems workable.  See the archives
if you care.

For the foreseeable future, backwards compatibility is going to trump
standards compliance on this point.  That doesn't mean we don't care
about compliance; it does mean that it is not the *only* goal.

I find it a bit odd to be debating this point in this thread, seeing
that one of the big lessons I draw from MySQL is "standards compliance
does not matter"...

            regards, tom lane

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What can we learn from MySQL?

Дата:
Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> > My question is, "What can we learn from MySQL?"  I don't know there is
> > anything, but I think it makes sense to ask the question.
> >
> > Questions I have are:
>
> I have already told Bruce at length about the single most common
> complaint in the phpPgAdmin lists and in the IRC channel: the inability
> to change column types.  I think we should listen to the punters on that
> one.

Yea, I will push that for 7.5.

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What can we learn from MySQL?

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Am Freitag, 23. April 2004 06:09 schrieb Bruce Momjian:
>     o  Are we marketing ourselves properly?
>     o  Are we focused enough on ease-of-use issues?
>     o  How do we position ourselves against a database that some
>        say is "good enough" (MySQL), and another one that some
>        say is "too much"  (Oracle)
>     o  Are our priorities too technically driven?

Success is not measured by absolute number of installations.  You can measure
success by having enough users so that the project can continue, enough users
so you can make a living, more satisfied users than unsatisfied ones, more
heavy-duty installations than personal database-driven websites, and by
having a product that you feel good about.  The only way to position
ourselves is as the relational database with the best price/performance
ration (price = TOC, performance = features + speed).  And the only way to
achieve any of these goals is by focussing on technology and ease of use.
For the crowd out there, PostgreSQL is an exciting and growing topic.  That's
more important than the installation count.

Re: What can we learn from MySQL?

От
"Matthew T. O'Connor"
Дата:
> There are two issues here : ease-of-use for admin and basic users.
>
> On for former point, admin ease-of-use, A little story a few month ago.
>
> I succeeded in advising production people here to switch some applications
> from a mysql database, which was working perfectly, to a postgres
> database. A few weeks later, the performances were desastrous. 30 seconds
> to get an answer to a simple select on a 1500 entries tables. After
> investigation, the problems were:
>
>  - no vacuum, although there were daily "DELETE FROM tables;"
>    to empty all the data and reload from another source.
>
>  - no analyze, because the admin did not know about it.

My goal is to have pg_autovacuum integrated into the backend for 7.5.  I
don't know if it will default to being turned on or off, I'm sure that
will be a discussion, but if it is defaulted to on, then this whole
problem of having to train newbies about vacuum should just go away.

Matthew

Re: What can we learn from MySQL?

От
Fabien COELHO
Дата:
Dear Matthew,

> My goal is to have pg_autovacuum integrated into the backend for 7.5.

I know about that, and that would be a good thing.

> I don't know if it will default to being turned on or off, I'm sure that
> will be a discussion, but if it is defaulted to on, then this whole
> problem of having to train newbies about vacuum should just go away.

Yes. I really thing that it should be on by default, because those who
will need it more than others are those who will not know about tuning
configuration parameters. As I understand the requirements from
pg_autovacuum, it means that some statistics will have to be on by default
as well.

Good luck;-)

--
Fabien Coelho - coelho@cri.ensmp.fr

Re: What can we learn from MySQL?

От
Thomas Swan
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

>My question is, "What can we learn from MySQL?"  I don't know there is
>anything, but I think it makes sense to ask the question.

MySQL became popular at my university when the students discovered they
could install it on their personal computers.  Just the exposure for
personal development and trial is enough to win a following.

Win32 installations are a big deal.   With win32 machines outnumbering
*nix operating systems by more than 10 to 1 (more on personal
computers), the "unix only" restriction reduced the number of possible
people testing and developing with it by at least that amount.   Most
developers I know work primarily on Windows workstations and asking for
a machine to run Postgresql on unix is just not practical.   With the
win32 port, they can run it on their computers and at least test or
evaluate their projects.

I and a number of my friends are exceptionally please at the progress of
the win32 port.  Thank you!

Re: What can we learn from MySQL?

От
"Matthew T. O'Connor"
Дата:
>> My goal is to have pg_autovacuum integrated into the backend for 7.5.
>
> I know about that, and that would be a good thing.

I hope so!

>> I don't know if it will default to being turned on or off, I'm sure that
>> will be a discussion, but if it is defaulted to on, then this whole
>> problem of having to train newbies about vacuum should just go away.
>
> Yes. I really thing that it should be on by default, because those who
> will need it more than others are those who will not know about tuning
> configuration parameters. As I understand the requirements from
> pg_autovacuum, it means that some statistics will have to be on by default
> as well.

I think it's premature to have this conversation.  I need to get something
done / working before we dicuss optimal configuration.  That said, I also
agree that if it's good enough, it should be on by default.

> Good luck;-)

Thanks, I'll need it....

Matthew

ps: I'm hoping to have time to work on this starting in May.  I haven't
really done any development on pg_autovacuum beyond bug fixing what is
already in CVS, so.... If someone out there wants to work on it, don't
wait for me, I won't be offended :-)  I just want to see it up and
running.

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What can we learn from MySQL?

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 05:22, Dennis Bjorklund wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Shachar Shemesh wrote:
>
> > When I ask about non-standard complience of Pg (turning unquoted
> > identifiers to lowercase instead of uppercase, violating the SQL
> > standard, and requring an expensive rewrite of clients), and I get the
> > answer "uppercase is ugly", I think something is wrong.
>
> I would love if someone fixed pg so that one can get the standard
> behaviour. It would however have to be a setting that can be changed so we
> are still backward compatible.
>
> > that even if I write a patch to start migration, I'm not likely to get
> > it in.
>
> Just changing to uppercase would break old code so such a patch should not
> just be commited. But would people stop a patch that is backward
> compatible (in the worst case a setting during initdb)? I'm not so sure
> they will.

I know this to be true, but don't fully understand it... if our default
behavior is to fold lower, and we change it to just fold upper... then
in theory this shouldn't break anything since what used to be folder
lower will now simply be folder upper. the only people who will have a
problem are those who quote on one end but not the other, which is bad
practice anyways...  so i would say if your serious about it, make the
patch as GUC "case_folding" for upper or lower and get a taste for what
breaks inside the db.

Robert Treat

Re: What can we learn from MySQL?

Дата:
Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:
> I think it's premature to have this conversation.  I need to get something
> done / working before we dicuss optimal configuration.  That said, I also
> agree that if it's good enough, it should be on by default.
>
> > Good luck;-)
>
> Thanks, I'll need it....
>
> Matthew
>
> ps: I'm hoping to have time to work on this starting in May.  I haven't
> really done any development on pg_autovacuum beyond bug fixing what is
> already in CVS, so.... If someone out there wants to work on it, don't
> wait for me, I won't be offended :-)  I just want to see it up and
> running.

I am around for assistance.

Re: What can we learn from MySQL?

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
Does the current implementation of pg_autovacuum have a way of setting
windows where it is allowed to vacuum? Many large 24/7 will only allow
vacuumming at certain times of the day.

Dave

--
Dave Cramer
519 939 0336

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What can we learn from MySQL?

От
"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Here is a blog about a recent MySQL conference with title, "Why MySQL
> Grew So Fast":
>
>     http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/4715
>
> and a a Slashdot discussion about it:
>
>     http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/04/20/2229212&mode=nested&tid=137&tid=185&tid=187&tid=198
>
> My question is, "What can we learn from MySQL?"  I don't know there is
> anything, but I think it makes sense to ask the question.

My immediate rhetorical response is "What could the Tortoise learn from
the Hare?"

I think we all know which is which in my question.

> Questions I have are:
>
>     o  Are we marketing ourselves properly?

I'm never sure about this.  I think the best marketing is experienced
users selling pg to their bosses one at a time.  While our MSSQL servers
at work have died under load innumerable times, our small collection of
postgresql servers (one's so old and embedded it's running 6.4) have been
very reliable.  So, slowly but surely, PostgreSQL is proving itself here.

>     o  Are we focused enough on ease-of-use issues?

Enough for me, but I don't think databases should necessarily be all that
easy to use by people who don't understand basic relational theory.  So
for me, ease of use means things like transactable DDL and well indexed,
well written documentation.  I suspect ease of use for my boss is
something entirely differnt, and may have to do with why he bought the EMS
postgresql manager packages he did.

>     o  How do we position ourselves against a database that some
>        say is "good enough" (MySQL), and another one that some
>        say is "too much"  (Oracle)

Hey, we're like the porridge in goldilock's, just right... :-)

dba folks don't pick MySQL, because it's so limited and basically has
so many bugs (it's a feature that we don't bounds check data!)  And it's
pretty easy to get an Oracle guy to play with postgresql when you show him
things like transactionable DDL.

>     o  Are our priorities too technically driven?

I don't think so.  But I'm a database / coder geek.  :-)

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What can we learn from MySQL?

От
Stephan Szabo
Дата:
On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Robert Treat wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 05:22, Dennis Bjorklund wrote:
> > On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Shachar Shemesh wrote:
> >
> > > When I ask about non-standard complience of Pg (turning unquoted
> > > identifiers to lowercase instead of uppercase, violating the SQL
> > > standard, and requring an expensive rewrite of clients), and I get the
> > > answer "uppercase is ugly", I think something is wrong.
> >
> > I would love if someone fixed pg so that one can get the standard
> > behaviour. It would however have to be a setting that can be changed so we
> > are still backward compatible.
> >
> > > that even if I write a patch to start migration, I'm not likely to get
> > > it in.
> >
> > Just changing to uppercase would break old code so such a patch should not
> > just be commited. But would people stop a patch that is backward
> > compatible (in the worst case a setting during initdb)? I'm not so sure
> > they will.
> >

> I know this to be true, but don't fully understand it... if our default
> behavior is to fold lower, and we change it to just fold upper... then
> in theory this shouldn't break anything since what used to be folder
> lower will now simply be folder upper. the only people who will have a
> problem are those who quote on one end but not the other, which is bad
> practice anyways...  so i would say if your serious about it, make the
> patch as GUC "case_folding" for upper or lower and get a taste for what
> breaks inside the db.

I've tried just changing the parser to unconditionally casefold to upper.
First thing that happens is that initdb breaks. In addition, you have
potential issues with comparisons against the catalog's versions of
standard functions as such if you allow the case folding to be changed
after the catalogs are setup.

Re: What can we learn from MySQL?

От
"D'Arcy J.M. Cain"
Дата:
On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 11:07:20 -0400
Dave Cramer <pg@fastcrypt.com> wrote:
> Does the current implementation of pg_autovacuum have a way of setting
> windows where it is allowed to vacuum? Many large 24/7 will only allow
> vacuumming at certain times of the day.

It seems to me that the point of pg_autovacuum would be to run 24/7 so
that there is never big hit on the system.  Perhaps it could be designed
to throttle itself based on current system usage though.

Re: What can we learn from MySQL?

От
"Matthew T. O'Connor"
Дата:
> Does the current implementation of pg_autovacuum have a way of setting
> windows where it is allowed to vacuum? Many large 24/7 will only allow
> vacuumming at certain times of the day.

No the current implementation doesn't, but such a feature is in the works
(planned anyway).  What I was envisioning is the ability to set two
different sets of thresholds (peak / off peak).  If you demand zero
vacuuming during peak times, you could set that threshold to -1, or some
such setting.

FYI I wouldn't remcommend defaulting pg_autovacuum to on until it does
this, and a few more things that are also planned (see the archives).

Matthew

Re: What can we learn from MySQL?

От
"Matthew T. O'Connor"
Дата:
> On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 11:07:20 -0400
> Dave Cramer <pg@fastcrypt.com> wrote:
>> Does the current implementation of pg_autovacuum have a way of setting
>> windows where it is allowed to vacuum? Many large 24/7 will only allow
>> vacuumming at certain times of the day.
>
> It seems to me that the point of pg_autovacuum would be to run 24/7 so
> that there is never big hit on the system.  Perhaps it could be designed
> to throttle itself based on current system usage though.

Right, there has been some talk about taking the system load into account,
but no action yet.

One comment I failed to make in my last email was that there should be
less need to explictly disallow vacuum during peak periods since vacuum
will only be occuring on specific tables when needed, which will effect
the server for a much smaller period of time than a general vacuum command
that touches all the tables.

Re: What can we learn from MySQL?

Дата:
D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 11:07:20 -0400
> Dave Cramer <pg@fastcrypt.com> wrote:
> > Does the current implementation of pg_autovacuum have a way of setting
> > windows where it is allowed to vacuum? Many large 24/7 will only allow
> > vacuumming at certain times of the day.
>
> It seems to me that the point of pg_autovacuum would be to run 24/7 so
> that there is never big hit on the system.  Perhaps it could be designed
> to throttle itself based on current system usage though.

Or the number of connected backends, or both?

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What can we learn from MySQL?

От
Andrew Dunstan
Дата:
Stephan Szabo wrote:

>>I know this to be true, but don't fully understand it... if our default
>>behavior is to fold lower, and we change it to just fold upper... then
>>in theory this shouldn't break anything since what used to be folder
>>lower will now simply be folder upper. the only people who will have a
>>problem are those who quote on one end but not the other, which is bad
>>practice anyways...  so i would say if your serious about it, make the
>>patch as GUC "case_folding" for upper or lower and get a taste for what
>>breaks inside the db.
>>

>I've tried just changing the parser to unconditionally casefold to upper.
>First thing that happens is that initdb breaks. In addition, you have
>potential issues with comparisons against the catalog's versions of
>standard functions as such if you allow the case folding to be changed
>after the catalogs are setup.

ISTM that rather than a having a GUC setting, initdb would be the right
time to make this choice. I'm not saying it would be easy, but it seems
(without looking into it deeply) at least possible.

cheers

andrew

Re: What can we learn from MySQL?

От
"D'Arcy J.M. Cain"
Дата:
On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 13:08:30 -0400 (EDT)
Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:
> D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> > It seems to me that the point of pg_autovacuum would be to run 24/7
> > so that there is never big hit on the system.  Perhaps it could be
> > designed to throttle itself based on current system usage though.
>
> Or the number of connected backends, or both?

I am sure that there are lots of ways to guage.  Not sure which is best
but I am sure that the smart people here will figure it out.  The
important thing, I think, is to let the engine make the decision
dynamically.  Personally I don't have a "quiet time" per se but there
are random quiet periods.  Something that jumps into the fray at those
points would be really nicwe.

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What can we learn from MySQL?

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 13:11, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Stephan Szabo wrote:
>
> >>I know this to be true, but don't fully understand it... if our default
> >>behavior is to fold lower, and we change it to just fold upper... then
> >>in theory this shouldn't break anything since what used to be folder
> >>lower will now simply be folder upper. the only people who will have a
> >>problem are those who quote on one end but not the other, which is bad
> >>practice anyways...  so i would say if your serious about it, make the
> >>patch as GUC "case_folding" for upper or lower and get a taste for what
> >>breaks inside the db.
> >>

> >I've tried just changing the parser to unconditionally casefold to upper.
> >First thing that happens is that initdb breaks. In addition, you have
> >potential issues with comparisons against the catalog's versions of
> >standard functions as such if you allow the case folding to be changed
> >after the catalogs are setup.
> >

> ISTM that rather than a having a GUC setting, initdb would be the right
> time to make this choice. I'm not saying it would be easy, but it seems
> (without looking into it deeply) at least possible.

This implies that the standard functions are created with explicit
quoting to make the lower case named?  Shouldn't all functions be
created without any quoting so they fold to whichever way the settings
are set?  Hmm... I see your angle Andrew.. they are going to be created
one way or the other so you'd be hard pressed to do it at any time other
than initdb time... of course you could just create duplicates of all
the functions in both upper and lower case, that way whichever way you
fold it matches :-)

Robert Treat

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What can we learn from MySQL?

От
Andrew Dunstan
Дата:
Robert Treat wrote:

>>>I've tried just changing the parser to unconditionally casefold to upper.
>>>First thing that happens is that initdb breaks. In addition, you have
>>>potential issues with comparisons against the catalog's versions of
>>>standard functions as such if you allow the case folding to be changed
>>>after the catalogs are setup.
>>>

>>ISTM that rather than a having a GUC setting, initdb would be the right
>>time to make this choice. I'm not saying it would be easy, but it seems
>>(without looking into it deeply) at least possible.
>>

>This implies that the standard functions are created with explicit
>quoting to make the lower case named?  Shouldn't all functions be
>created without any quoting so they fold to whichever way the settings
>are set?  Hmm... I see your angle Andrew.. they are going to be created
>one way or the other so you'd be hard pressed to do it at any time other
>than initdb time... of course you could just create duplicates of all
>the functions in both upper and lower case, that way whichever way you
>fold it matches :-)

That strikes me as an instant recipe for shooting yourself in the foot,
as well as providing useless catalog bloat. Things need *one* canonical
name, IMNSHO.

cheers

andrew

Re: What can we learn from MySQL?

От
"J. Andrew Rogers"
Дата:
On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 21:09, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Questions I have are:
>     o  Are we marketing ourselves properly?

It is perhaps less a matter of marketing and more a matter of
word-of-mouth mind share.  I don't see much evidence of effective direct
marketing, but I've noticed a huge growth in mind share among the
technical crowd over the last few years, which appears to be an
outgrowth of technical reputation.

>     o  Are we focused enough on ease-of-use issues?

No, and I think this is THE biggest impediment to popularity.  The real
question should actually be "ease-of-use for who?".  I had little
difficulty adapting to Postgres because I have tons of database
experience and so I knew what I was looking for in the technical
documentation, which is quite good for an experienced person.  But I
have noticed that most people who have a much more limited experience
with RDBMS administration have a hard time getting started because the
use curve is pretty steep.  "Ease of use" isn't an issue for people like
me -- I find it very easy -- but is a significant hurdle for most
everyone else e.g. casual developers.

Some specific recommendations on this:

- Make a standard GUI admin tool a prominent part of the standard
Postgres distribution, something along the lines of pgAdmin.  I don't
use it, but a lot of other people need it.  For casual database
developers, this will greatly enhance apparent ease of use.

- Pick a procedural language (plpgsql would seem like the obvious
choice) and make it a standard part of a Postgres installation. A
standard procedural language should be an out-of-the-box feature that
"just works".  Standard connection drivers (JDBC, ODBC, etc) should also
be installed by default and visible to the user.  Doing a "standard"
installation of Postgres for most people requires collecting a half
dozen bits and pieces that would be installed by default or as
install-time options for many databases.

- Make it much easier for the relatively clueless to install options in
their database.  Having an official menu of popular add-on modules (e.g.
some of the contrib stuff), and an easy way to automagically enable
these capabilities, will serve to educate users that these features
exist and encourage their use. I find that most new Postgres users
aren't aware that any of these things exist outside of whatever was
included with a vanilla install.

- Expanded documentation and well-indexed how-tos, both for the database
itself and for building applications using the database, for people who
are clueless about the technical details of Postgres internals would be
helpful. The standard documentation tree is a bit too "reference-y" for
less experienced people, and makes certain contextual assumptions that I
find many less experienced trying to navigate it don't have.  There is a
gap in the documentation between "total n00b" and "experienced DBA" that
makes it hard to transition that gap.

Postgres actually has very good ease-of-use for experienced DBAs, which
is something that it definitely gets right.  And comparing a Postgres
installation to an Oracle installation is like night and day.  The
problem is that there is no easy bootstrap path for people who aren't so
experienced with database administration and maintenance in general.

>     o  How do we position ourselves against a database that some
>        say is "good enough" (MySQL), and another one that some
>        say is "too much"  (Oracle)

Postgres should be positioned as an effective alternative to Oracle, and
the focus should be on the "enterprise" database space. Postgres has
some significant leverage points in the enterprise database space, even
today, and as it becomes more feature-complete it will increasingly
become a compelling choice within this space.

Comparing Postgres to MySQL is a mistake IMO, as it leads people to
assume that they are roughly equivalent products.  I actually read a
very recent Gartner Group report comparing Postgres and MySQL a couple
months ago that basically said that Postgres and MySQL are equivalent
products, but MySQL is easier to use.  And their reasoning basically
cited the myriad of MySQL versus Postgres comparisons on the 'net.  The
suits who did the research had difficulty evaluating the technical
merits and so they based relative equivalence on the fact that they were
constantly compared to each other in the same light.

>From a marketing standpoint, I would focus all my effort on comparisons
to commercial enterprise DB engines like Oracle and ignore MySQL.  This
will define Postgres as a part of the enterprise market and remove it
from the same market space that MySQL occupies.

>     o  Are our priorities too technically driven?

No.  The greatest strength of Postgres, marketing-wise, are technical
and is what drives its growth today. I think most of the ease-of-use
issues are in the packaging of the larger Postgres product and mid-level
developer documentation, both of which seem to be eminently solvable
problems.  I think improved default product packaging would remove 80%
of the impediment to more widespread adoption.

There is no *technical* reason things should be done this way and it
might even go against the sensibilities of many current users.  But it
would go a long way toward widening the audience.

j. andrew rogers

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What can we learn from MySQL?

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 14:28, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Robert Treat wrote:
> of course you could just create duplicates of all
> >the functions in both upper and lower case, that way whichever way you
> >fold it matches :-)
> >

> That strikes me as an instant recipe for shooting yourself in the foot,
> as well as providing useless catalog bloat. Things need *one* canonical
> name, IMNSHO.

hence the smiley...

Robert Treat

Re: What can we learn from MySQL?

От
"Merlin Moncure"
Дата:
J. Andrew Rogers wrote:
> No.  The greatest strength of Postgres, marketing-wise, are technical
> and is what drives its growth today. I think most of the ease-of-use
> issues are in the packaging of the larger Postgres product and
mid-level
> developer documentation, both of which seem to be eminently solvable
> problems.  I think improved default product packaging would remove 80%

plus, up to this point AFAIK the postgresql docs have not been quoted
here:

http://www.dbdebunk.com

which speaks volumes ;)

Merlin

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What can we learn from MySQL?

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 02:35:48PM +0800, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> >My question is, "What can we learn from MySQL?"  I don't know there is
> >anything, but I think it makes sense to ask the question.
> >
> >Questions I have are:
>
> I have already told Bruce at length about the single most common
> complaint in the phpPgAdmin lists and in the IRC channel: the inability
> to change column types.  I think we should listen to the punters on that
> one.
>
> Also, how about a new section in the manual: PostgreSQL for MySQL users
> and PostgreSQL for Oracle users?

Maybe also a more generic section about how PGSQL is different from
other databases. Maybe I'm just dense, but it took me a long time to
figure out the whole lack of stored procedures thing (yes, PGSQL
obviously has the functionality, but many experienced DBAs won't
associate functions with stored procs). Pointing out the documentation
on MVCC and how it changes how you want to use the database would be
good, as would links to documentation on what postgresql.conf settings
you want to change out of the box.

On the other topics...
I think the biggest service PGSQL could provide to the open source
community is a resource that teaches people with no database experience
the fundamentals of databases. If people had an understanding of what a
RDBMS should be capable of and how it should be used, they wouldn't pick
MySQL.

Having a windows port is critical for 'student mindshare'. If PGSQL can't
play on windows, professors can't use it. Likewise, installation on OS X
should be made as easy as possible.

That's for the 'low end' users (many of whom will eventually become
'high end'). For professionals who have database expertise, the
comparison guide will help a lot. The other thing that will help is
continuing to bring enterprise-class features in, like multi-master
replication, partitioning, and clustering. But since people tend to
think most about the technology, I'm sure those will make it in
eventually anyway. :)
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Consultant                  jim@nasby.net

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What can we learn from MySQL?

От
Shachar Shemesh
Дата:
Stephan Szabo wrote:

>I've tried just changing the parser to unconditionally casefold to upper.
>First thing that happens is that initdb breaks. In addition, you have
>potential issues with comparisons against the catalog's versions of
>standard functions as such if you allow the case folding to be changed
>after the catalogs are setup.

That's not the migration path I was thinking of.

What I was thinking of was:
1. Have a setting, probably per-session. Per database works too.
2. Aside from the folder upper and folder lower, have a third option.
This is "fold upper, if fails, fold lower. If succeeds, issue a
warning". This should allow programs that rely on the folding (such as
initdb) to be debugged during the transition period.

          Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting
http://www.lingnu.com/

Re: What can we learn from MySQL?

От
Jeff Davis
Дата:
On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 07:13, Fabien COELHO wrote:

> Yes. I really thing that it should be on by default, because those who
> will need it more than others are those who will not know about tuning
> configuration parameters. As I understand the requirements from
> pg_autovacuum, it means that some statistics will have to be on by default
> as well.

The debian package automatically makes a vacuum entry in the crontab.
So, to a certain extent, this could be solved at the distribution level.

However, the pg_autovacuum project will be a great improvement over
that. Right now, the distributions mostly care about MySQL, so it will
be nice to have postgresql handle that detail.

Jeff

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What can we learn from MySQL?

От
Stephan Szabo
Дата:
On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Shachar Shemesh wrote:

> Stephan Szabo wrote:
>
> >I've tried just changing the parser to unconditionally casefold to upper.
> >First thing that happens is that initdb breaks. In addition, you have
> >potential issues with comparisons against the catalog's versions of
> >standard functions as such if you allow the case folding to be changed
> >after the catalogs are setup.
> >

> That's not the migration path I was thinking of.
>
> What I was thinking of was:
> 1. Have a setting, probably per-session. Per database works too.
> 2. Aside from the folder upper and folder lower, have a third option.
> This is "fold upper, if fails, fold lower. If succeeds, issue a
> warning". This should allow programs that rely on the folding (such as
> initdb) to be debugged during the transition period.

If you can do this in a clean fashion without tromping all around the
code, that'd be reasonable, however, istm that you'd need to either
pre-fold both directions from the given identifier string and pass an
extra copy around or pass the original identifier and its quoted status
and fold on use.  I think either of these are likely to be very intrusive
for what essentially amounts to a transitional feature.

In addition, I'm not sure that this would always work in any case, since
some of those usages may be quoted identifiers that were once generated
from a case-folded string (for example, looking up a name in the catalogs
and quoting it).

Re: What can we learn from MySQL?

От
pgsql@mohawksoft.com
Дата:
I have been thinking about this subject for a LONG time, and I hope I have
something to contribute.

> My question is, "What can we learn from MySQL?"  I don't know there is
> anything, but I think it makes sense to ask the question.
>
> Questions I have are:
>
>     o  Are we marketing ourselves properly?

I would say this is a clear 'NO!' When ever I read about open-source being
used anywhere, I always read MySQL. They are *very* good at this.

>     o  Are we focused enough on ease-of-use issues?

Again, NO! To often you guys settle for a work-around rather than a
feature. You are satisfied that symlinks will do the job. When someone
says they want a feature, you say, no - use a symlink.

Ease of use is VERY important, but few suggestions that address this are
ever really accepted. Yes, focusing on the functionality is the primary
concern, but "how" you set it up and deploy it is VERY important. You guys
need to remember, people are coming from a world where MySQL, Oracle, and
MSSQL all have nice setup programs.

I know a bit about this, as I made a "PostgreSQL for Windows" (It was
7.3.x) CD a while back. I had to do a lot of work on the postgresql
configuration, database initialization, and create a demo database. It
used a minimal cygwin environment, a Windows based installer, and some
custom function libraries. I tried to submit the configuration patch and
all I got was argument about using symlinks or how it wasn't needed.

The thing that kind of bugs me about this O/S project is that you guys are
a bit nit-picking about how someone uses it. I believe in the UNIX
phylosophy: capability not policy, flexability, etc. You guys seem to need
an absolute reason to include something, rather than a good reason to
exclude something. A lot of open source developers are turned off by this
sort of attitude.

>     o  How do we position ourselves against a database that some
>        say is "good enough" (MySQL), and another one that some
>        say is "too much"  (Oracle)

My argument against this is that MySQL is no less complicated than
PostgreSQL. PostgreSQL, in production is faster than MySQL, even though
MySQL may be marginally faster on some simple queries. The system resource
usage of both systems is very similar. PostgreSQL, however, boasts a lot
of standard features that make using it much easier.

>     o  Are our priorities too technically driven?

For the most part, you guys do a great, no .. fantastic, job at the
technical details of the database. Even though I get frustrated, I know it
is a great system. You *should* be technically driven.

If you want to blow the competition out of the water, you need a
non-forked Windows version of the database. You need a Java (or some other
portable environment) installer. You need to get out of the
hand-administered mentality of using symlinks and system level constructs.

One should be able to install the software, bring up a nice configuration
program which runs you through a few questions, and be done. This same
configuration program should be able to help maintain and control an the
installation. On Windows, have a service monitor program that starts and
stops the server, on UNIX, have it able to start/stop via init.d.
Everything else is "expert level."

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What can we learn from MySQL?

От
Stephan Szabo
Дата:
On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Stephan Szabo wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Shachar Shemesh wrote:
>
> > Stephan Szabo wrote:
> >
> > >I've tried just changing the parser to unconditionally casefold to upper.
> > >First thing that happens is that initdb breaks. In addition, you have
> > >potential issues with comparisons against the catalog's versions of
> > >standard functions as such if you allow the case folding to be changed
> > >after the catalogs are setup.
> > >

> > That's not the migration path I was thinking of.
> >
> > What I was thinking of was:
> > 1. Have a setting, probably per-session. Per database works too.
> > 2. Aside from the folder upper and folder lower, have a third option.
> > This is "fold upper, if fails, fold lower. If succeeds, issue a
> > warning". This should allow programs that rely on the folding (such as
> > initdb) to be debugged during the transition period.
>
> If you can do this in a clean fashion without tromping all around the
> code, that'd be reasonable, however, istm that you'd need to either
> pre-fold both directions from the given identifier string and pass an
> extra copy around or pass the original identifier and its quoted status
> and fold on use.  I think either of these are likely to be very intrusive
> for what essentially amounts to a transitional feature.
>
> In addition, I'm not sure that this would always work in any case, since
> some of those usages may be quoted identifiers that were once generated
> from a case-folded string (for example, looking up a name in the catalogs
> and quoting it).

To clarify, I'm thinking about things where an application had gotten a
quoted name and is now trying to use it where the object's canonical name
was changed due to quoting changes. This only happens when quoting
is inconsistently applied, but that's most of the problem.

Re: What can we learn from MySQL?

От
Alvar Freude
Дата:

Hi,

- -- Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:

>     o  Are we marketing ourselves properly?

while talking about MySQL, there is the myth, that MySQL is fast; and that
because MyISAM has no transactions, that it is faster.

That is in most cases not true! And for all real live scenarios I know and I
tested, Postgres was faster.

An example: a critical calculation in one of my online projects needs with
MySQL (MyISAM Table Type) about 2.7 to 2.8 seconds (group by on 500000 rows
for some realtime statistics). But on this time, the complete table is write
locked (because MyISAM) :-(

With InnoDB the same needs at least 15 to 20 seconds, but other users can
insert/update.

With PostgreSQL (7.4) it took 1.9 to 2 seconds. Parallel inserts/updates no
problem.

The only reason why I changed the whole stuff to Postgres yet is, that there
are a lot of problems with MySQL special "features" (see the Gotchas:
http://sql-info.de/mysql/gotchas.html)

Other example: Some days ago I had a talk with my project leader; I said,
that for a new application we should *everything* build with transactions,
referential integrity, ... -- his answer: "I want to have a fast
application". AAARRGH! ;-(

So, perhaps it might be a good idea to create a page with feature- and
performance comparison.
I planed to create an independant and RDBMS benchmark suite (as Free Software
including the datas for testing), but I'm not sure if this project ever come
true ...

>     o  Are we focused enough on ease-of-use issues?

I'm not sure about the focus; but the result can be better.

When installing and using any type of software, I want that this is as easy
as possible while it helps me to understand as much of the backgrounds as
possible.

Whats about the initdb, postgresql.conf and startup scripts?

So, It might be good to have a GUI-Tool (!) in the standard package, which
makes an initdb with selectable options and helps the user to set the
required options in the postgresql.conf.

I'm a computer freak since the mod 80s and I can edit config files. But to
have a GUI tool with some explaining texts at the buttons etc is much easyer
than hacking a textfile.

Also the other stuff mentioned in this thread are important: auto vacuum,
windows port, better default values etc.

Ease-of-use includes for me localisation and documentation in different
languages. As you can see, my english is junky -- so reading german
documentation is a lot of easyer for me ;-)

>     o  Are our priorities too technically driven?

AFAIK it is good to have the priorities technically driven -- if nobody
forgets the userfriendlyness ;)

Ciao
  Alvar

- --
** Alvar C.H. Freude -- http://alvar.a-blast.org/ -- http://odem.org/
** Berufsverbot? http://odem.org/aktuelles/staatsanwalt.de.html
** ODEM.org-Tour: http://tour.odem.org/
** 5 Jahre Blaster: http://www.a-blast.de/ | http://www.a-blast.de/statistik/

Re: What can we learn from MySQL?

От
Alvar Freude
Дата:

Hi,

- -- pgsql@mohawksoft.com wrote:

> I would say this is a clear 'NO!' When ever I read about open-source being
> used anywhere, I always read MySQL. They are *very* good at this.

yes!
Some days ago, there was a news in the Heise Newsticker (most important IT
news in germany), about MySQL clustering.

  http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/46511

"4*2 processors with 100000 replicated transactions per second" was the main
statement.

I'm sure, that this is the typical MySQL blabla: no transactions, but select
statements ...

<http://www.heise.de/newsticker/foren/go.shtml?read=1&msg_id=5487088&forum_id
=55321>

I'm not sure, if iot is a good idea to go down with the niveau to such lies.

>>     o  Are we focused enough on ease-of-use issues?
>
> Again, NO! To often you guys settle for a work-around rather than a
> feature. You are satisfied that symlinks will do the job. When someone
> says they want a feature, you say, no - use a symlink.

[...]

yes, you are right!

One additional thing: when updating from 7.x to 7.y, a new initdb is needed.
This means: If I have some GB Data, the RDBMS is some ours down for
upgrading. This is really no good situation. There should be a way for
converting the storage on the fly: Updating and let postgres do the rest
automaically.

I guess this is not really easy; but it is important!

Ciao
  Alvar

- --
** Alvar C.H. Freude -- http://alvar.a-blast.org/ -- http://odem.org/
** Berufsverbot? http://odem.org/aktuelles/staatsanwalt.de.html
** ODEM.org-Tour: http://tour.odem.org/
** 5 Jahre Blaster: http://www.a-blast.de/ | http://www.a-blast.de/statistik/

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What can we learn from MySQL?

Дата:
Stephan Szabo <sszabo@megazone.bigpanda.com> writes:
> To clarify, I'm thinking about things where an application had gotten a
> quoted name and is now trying to use it where the object's canonical name
> was changed due to quoting changes. This only happens when quoting
> is inconsistently applied, but that's most of the problem.

Actually, that's *all* the problem, at least as far as SQL commands are
concerned.  If you are consistent about always quoting or never quoting
a particular name, you can't tell the difference between PG's behavior
and SQL-spec behavior.

Aside from the reality that apps aren't very consistent about their
quoting behavior, the fly in this ointment is that whenever you query
the database catalogs you will see the stored spelling of the name.
So apps that rely on seeing the same spelling in the catalog that they
entered could break.  (In practice this doesn't seem to be as big a
problem as the sloppy-quoting-behavior issue, though.)

Personally I don't think that this is a "transitional issue" and we will
someday all be happy in upper-case-only-land.  Upper-case-only sucks,
by every known measure of readability, and I don't want to have to put up
with a database that forces that 1960s-vintage-hardware mindset on me.
So what I'm holding out for is a design that lets me continue to see the
current behavior if I set a GUC variable that says that's what I want.
This seems possible (not easy, but possible) if we are willing to
require the choice to be made at compile time ... but that sounds too
restrictive to satisfy anybody ... what we need is a design that
supports such a choice per-session, and I dunno how to do that.

            regards, tom lane

PS: I resisted the temptation to SET THIS MESSAGE IN ALL UPPER CASE
to make the point about readability.  But if you want to argue the
point with me, I'll be happy to do that for the rest of the thread.

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What can we learn from MySQL?

От
Dennis Bjorklund
Дата:
On Sat, 24 Apr 2004, Tom Lane wrote:

> Upper-case-only sucks, by every known measure of readability, and I
> don't want to have to put up with a database that forces that
> 1960s-vintage-hardware mindset on me.

Well, get used to it :-)

> So what I'm holding out for is a design that lets me continue to see the
> current behavior if I set a GUC variable that says that's what I want.

Wouldn't the upper case identifiers just be visible in the \d output,
table headers and such. You could still have psql tab completion produce
lower case identifiers (if told using some setting).

Even if the database store all non quoted names as upper case I would
still use lower case in all applications and on the psql command line.

It's not a big problem for me if the output of \d and the table headers
and such is in upper case. One would get used to it fase. And maybe one
can even store an extra bit telling if the string was created with or
without quotes and have psql lower case all the ones created without
quotes.

First I thought that one can store the string with case all the time, and
just convert when needed (when comparing identifiers). Perhaps using the
non existant locale support and locales such as SQL_UPPER or SQL_MIXED.
But it wont work since it would make "Foo" and Foo clash. When translated
directly it would create separate entries "Foo" and "FOO".

ps. And if you want to play the WRITE MAILS USING ONLY UPPER CASE, BE MY
GUEST!

--
/Dennis Björklund

Do we prefer software that works or software that looks good?

От
Shachar Shemesh
Tom Lane wrote:

>Personally I don't think that this is a "transitional issue" and we will
>someday all be happy in upper-case-only-land.  Upper-case-only sucks,
>by every known measure of readability, and I don't want to have to put up
>with a database that forces that 1960s-vintage-hardware mindset on me.

And I was feeling apologetic that I was accusing without a base the good
(and I'm not cynical about that last adjective) people of the PostgreSQL
of making life more difficult for programmers just because they don't
like the asthetics of something which an external standard dictates.

I mean, sure, I understand the sentiment. I don't like seeing all-caps
either. But allow me to give an allegory from another free software
project, one where I am an actual active code contributer.

Imagine that Alexandre Juliard, the benevolent dictator for the Wine
project, would have had the same attitude. Each time someone would come
around saying "today function X calls function Y, and this breaks
program Z. We need to reverse X and Y", he would reply with "But it
makes more asthetic/program design/whatever sense to do it the way we do
it today". The result would be that Wine would never come to the point
where it can run Word, IE and other prominant Windows only applications.

The reality of things is that Wine, just like Postgres, work by an
external standard. Wine's standard is more strict, less documented, and
more broad. However, like it or not, the more you deviate from the
standard, the more you require people who want to use your technology to
adapt to whatever it is that you do.

This doesn't make sense on any level.

>So what I'm holding out for is a design that lets me continue to see the
>current behavior if I set a GUC variable that says that's what I want.
>

>This seems possible (not easy, but possible) if we are willing to
>require the choice to be made at compile time ... but that sounds too
>restrictive to satisfy anybody ... what we need is a design that
>supports such a choice per-session, and I dunno how to do that.

In other words, you are going to reject the simpler solutions that treat
this as a transition problem, because of asthetic issue? Not even
program design issue, mind you. Sounds strange to me, and also pretty
much guarentees that this will never happen. That would be a shame.

The reason this would be a shame is because postgres is the same reason
this thread was CCed to advocacy to begin with. Databases form a pretty
saturated field. If Postgres is to break forward, it needs a niche. The
fully-featured databases role is taken (Oracle), and the free database
role is taken (MySQL). Postgres CAN take the fuly featured free database
niche, but that will need help.

The time is ripe, however. The company we're doing my current OLE DB
work for has contacted me about this, and they dictated Postgres (MySQL
was not nearly enough). They still want to see proof of concept working,
but that's my job. However, I'm afraid they might give up if things
become too complicated to port. Under such circumstances, every little
help Postgres can give may mean the difference between "breaking
through" and "staying behind". I really wouldn't like to see such an
important help break merely because "Tom Lane doesn't like to see
uppercase on his database tables list".

Now, I'm intending to do the best I can on my end. This does have a
pretty heavy cost. It means that the OLE DB driver will parse in details
each query, and perform replacements on the query text. This is bug
prone, difficult, hurts performance, and just plain wrong from a
software design perspective. The current drift of wind, however, means
that the PostgreSQL steering commite seems to prefer having a lesser
quality driver to seeing ugly uppercase.

>            regards, tom lane
>
>PS: I resisted the temptation to SET THIS MESSAGE IN ALL UPPER CASE
>to make the point about readability.  But if you want to argue the
>point with me, I'll be happy to do that for the rest of the thread.

Yes, it's a well known rhetoric technique. Take whatever argument your
opponent say, and exagerate it to an absurd.

       Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting
http://www.lingnu.com/

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What can we learn from MySQL?

Дата:
Dennis Bjorklund <db@zigo.dhs.org> writes:
> On Sat, 24 Apr 2004, Tom Lane wrote:
>> So what I'm holding out for is a design that lets me continue to see the
>> current behavior if I set a GUC variable that says that's what I want.

> Wouldn't the upper case identifiers just be visible in the \d output,
> table headers and such.

Exactly ... and that's where my readability complaint starts ...

> First I thought that one can store the string with case all the time, and
> just convert when needed (when comparing identifiers).

People keep suggesting these random not-quite-standard behaviors, but
I fail to see the point.  Are you arguing for exact standards
compliance, or not?  If you're not, then you have to make your case on
the claim that "my nonstandard behavior is better than the existing
nonstandard behavior".  Which might be true, beauty being in the eye of
the beholder, but I doubt you can prove it to the extent of overriding
the backwards-compatibility issue.

            regards, tom lane

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What can we learn from MySQL?

От
Dennis Bjorklund
Дата:
On Sat, 24 Apr 2004, Tom Lane wrote:

> > First I thought that one can store the string with case all the time, and
> > just convert when needed (when comparing identifiers).
>
> People keep suggesting these random not-quite-standard behaviors, but
> I fail to see the point.  Are you arguing for exact standards
> compliance, or not?

That was me making conversation, pointing out something that does not
work. Since it does not work I don't want it to be implemented. And with
work I mean not follow the standard.

For something to follow standard it has to behave the correct way to the
outside, how it's implemented is a different matter. The above does not
work. Period.

--
/Dennis Björklund

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What can we learn from MySQL?

От
Joe Conway
Tom Lane wrote:
> Aside from the reality that apps aren't very consistent about their
> quoting behavior, the fly in this ointment is that whenever you query
> the database catalogs you will see the stored spelling of the name.
> So apps that rely on seeing the same spelling in the catalog that they
> entered could break.  (In practice this doesn't seem to be as big a
> problem as the sloppy-quoting-behavior issue, though.)

Shouldn't apps only really be querying the information schema if they're
expecting spec compliant behavior? If so, a GUC variable with an access
function ought to be enough to get up or down casing as desired, I'd think.

Joe

Re: Do we prefer software that works or software that looks good?

От
Stephan Szabo
Дата:
On Sat, 24 Apr 2004, Shachar Shemesh wrote:

> Tom Lane wrote:
> >So what I'm holding out for is a design that lets me continue to see the
> >current behavior if I set a GUC variable that says that's what I want.
> >
> >This seems possible (not easy, but possible) if we are willing to
> >require the choice to be made at compile time ... but that sounds too
> >restrictive to satisfy anybody ... what we need is a design that
> >supports such a choice per-session, and I dunno how to do that.
> >

> In other words, you are going to reject the simpler solutions that treat
> this as a transition problem, because of asthetic issue? Not even
> program design issue, mind you. Sounds strange to me, and also pretty
> much guarentees that this will never happen. That would be a shame.

[ Tom, we know your opinion on the first part of the next paragraph, so
you don't need to reply to that part. ;) ]

Are we going to get rid of the current behavior entirely? If so, how are
we going to handle issues like current databases with names like foo and
"FOO" (and what if the name was given as "foo")? If not, when can one set
the folding options and how do we (in the long term) make the database
work properly in both settings. Things like "don't worry about the catalog
entries" don't fly when your standard functions are defined and
looked up there.

Depending on the answers to the above, we need to think about things like
the transitional plans put forth. Do these plans actually help transition
things. The fold up and down compare one then the other on a failure of
the first may be fairly invasive changes, still has problems when quotes
are used inconsistently and can also silently change behavior from old
versions (on that database mentioned above, what does select * from foo
do, is it the same as before?). These may or may not be huge issues and it
may or may not be easily solvable, but these things need to be figured out
IMHO before something can be considered a solution.

Re: Do we prefer software that works or software that looks good?

От
Shachar Shemesh
Дата:
Stephan Szabo wrote:

>[ Tom, we know your opinion on the first part of the next paragraph, so
>you don't need to reply to that part. ;) ]
>
>Are we going to get rid of the current behavior entirely?

I doubt that will be a good idea. You want to let applications created
for previous versions of PostgreSQL continue to work. The idea, I think,
is to have either a DB wide, or a session wide, option to have it either
way. We may have to create a DB conversion tool, that converts a DB from
one way to the other (and changes the case of functions, along the way).

> If so, how are
>we going to handle issues like current databases with names like foo and
>"FOO" (and what if the name was given as "foo")?

I think these are really rare. The conversion tool can warn about these
cases.

> If not, when can one set
>the folding options and how do we (in the long term) make the database
>work properly in both settings.

I don't think having the same DB work in both folding options is really
a big issue. Having two databases on the same server, one this way and
one the other is, however. You don't want to install two database
servers, merely because you have two applications developed for two
different PG versions.

> Things like "don't worry about the catalog
>entries" don't fly when your standard functions are defined and
>looked up there.

Answer above.

>Depending on the answers to the above, we need to think about things like
>the transitional plans put forth. Do these plans actually help transition
>things.

I think they do. The idea is to be as complaining and as verbose during
transition as possible. Ideally, if some breakpoint can be triggered
each time a double lookup takes place (thus knowing that the client app
is calling the wrong way), this will allow converting apps in almost no
time at all.

> The fold up and down compare one then the other on a failure of
>the first may be fairly invasive changes,

In what way invasive?

> still has problems when quotes
>are used inconsistently

The main issue, as far as I'm concerned, is not with PG apps that need
to be ported to the new scheme. I don't have any qualm with never
deprecating the lowercase folding. This, of course, puts a burden on
utilities that work as infrastructure to always quote or always
not-quote (depending on exact semantics), but that, I believe, is solveable.

My problem is with applications written for other, more standard
complient, databases, and with porting these into PG. As such, if the
app uses inconsistent quoting, it today relies on uppercase folding, and
will not have any problem.

> and can also silently change behavior from old
>versions (on that database mentioned above, what does select * from foo
>do, is it the same as before?). These may or may not be huge issues and it
>may or may not be easily solvable, but these things need to be figured out
>IMHO before something can be considered a solution.

I agree. It's just that I don't think this is a big issue, given the
fact that I don't think we intend to deprecate the lowercase folding any
time soon.
         Shachar

Remove advocacy from the CC. I don't think it's related there any more.

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting
http://www.lingnu.com/

Re: Do we prefer software that works or software that looks good?

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Saturday 24 April 2004 01:23, Shachar Shemesh wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> >PS: I resisted the temptation to SET THIS MESSAGE IN ALL UPPER CASE
> >to make the point about readability.  But if you want to argue the
> >point with me, I'll be happy to do that for the rest of the thread.
>
> Yes, it's a well known rhetoric technique. Take whatever argument your
> opponent say, and exagerate it to an absurd.

Kind of like changing the subject line of a thread to imply your side of the
argument is the one that has technical merit and the other side is being
petty and/or frivolous?   Anyone who has studied software useability will
know that uppercase should, in general, be avoided as it hurts readability.
It isn't about "looking pretty", it's about being more usable.

Robert Treat

Re: Do we prefer software that works or software that looks good?

От
Shachar Shemesh
Дата:
Robert Treat wrote:

>On Saturday 24 April 2004 01:23, Shachar Shemesh wrote:
>

>>Tom Lane wrote:
>>

>>>PS: I resisted the temptation to SET THIS MESSAGE IN ALL UPPER CASE
>>>to make the point about readability.  But if you want to argue the
>>>point with me, I'll be happy to do that for the rest of the thread.
>>>

>>Yes, it's a well known rhetoric technique. Take whatever argument your
>>opponent say, and exagerate it to an absurd.
>>

>Kind of like changing the subject line of a thread to imply your side of the
>argument is the one that has technical merit and the other side is being
>petty and/or frivolous?

It is my understanding that the discussion with Tom was 100% about the
question in the subject line. There is no question that the SQL standard
dictates that unquoted identifiers should be folded to uppercase. There
is no question (not from me) that upper case is ugly. The only question
is whether we should prefer standard to asthetic.

>   Anyone who has studied software useability will
>know that uppercase should, in general, be avoided as it hurts readability.

You convinced me! let's change the SQL standard.

>It isn't about "looking pretty", it's about being more usable.
>
>Robert Treat

Ok. I'm willing to change the subject to "are hurting eyes due to
uppercase preferable to changing lots of code when migrating to PG from
other database due to standard incomplience", if it would make you feel
better.

The point is that I am not against lower case, or pro uppercase. I HATE
uppercase. I do think, however, that standards should be followed. The
question is, when all is said and done, which is more useable. A DB that
presents unquoted identifiers as uppercase, or one that allows easier
migration of client apps from other DBs.

I'll also mention that if asthetic/readability is all that bothers you,
we can add a flag to psql that displays all caps as lowercase.

          Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting
http://www.lingnu.com/

Re: Do we prefer software that works or software that looks good?

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Saturday 24 April 2004 08:09, Shachar Shemesh wrote:
> Robert Treat wrote:
> >   Anyone who has studied software useability will
> >know that uppercase should, in general, be avoided as it hurts
> > readability.
>
> You convinced me! let's change the SQL standard.

We plan to, right after we have PostgreSQL achieve world domination. But we
can't abondon lower case now or it will weaken the argument when that time
comes. :-)

> Ok. I'm willing to change the subject to "are hurting eyes due to
> uppercase preferable to changing lots of code when migrating to PG from
> other database due to standard incomplience", if it would make you feel
> better.

ouch.  s/code when/code from crappily written apps when/    :-)

> The point is that I am not against lower case, or pro uppercase. I HATE
> uppercase. I do think, however, that standards should be followed. The
> question is, when all is said and done, which is more useable. A DB that
> presents unquoted identifiers as uppercase, or one that allows easier
> migration of client apps from other DBs.

IMHO apps that apply quoted identifiers willy nilly are busted anyway, and it
is only by coincidence that they work on other databases if they work at all.
(And it's by extremely unfortunate coincidence that they might be spec
complient in that behavior.. but hey.)

Oh well... let's see if we can find a way to support both...

Robert Treat

Re: Do we prefer software that works or software that looks good?

От
Shachar Shemesh
Дата:
Robert Treat wrote:

>IMHO apps that apply quoted identifiers willy nilly are busted anyway,

Not really. Sometimes the app itself will be very consistent, never
applying quotes, but an underlying driver will always apply quotes. The
result is a mixed behaviour. There is nothing you or me can do about
that. Notice that in the above case, neither app nor driver are
violating their mandate, and both are well within their right to do so.

So long as the behaviour is regulated by a standard, there is nothing
you and I can say against such practices.

>Oh well... let's see if we can find a way to support both...

You are welcome to join the other leg of this thread, then. That one is
not CCed to advocacy, as it is 100% technical.

>Robert Treat

    Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting
http://www.lingnu.com/

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What can we learn from MySQL?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 10:56:43PM -0700, Joe Conway wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> >Aside from the reality that apps aren't very consistent about their
> >quoting behavior, the fly in this ointment is that whenever you query
> >the database catalogs you will see the stored spelling of the name.
> >So apps that rely on seeing the same spelling in the catalog that they
> >entered could break.  (In practice this doesn't seem to be as big a
> >problem as the sloppy-quoting-behavior issue, though.)
>
> Shouldn't apps only really be querying the information schema if they're
> expecting spec compliant behavior? If so, a GUC variable with an access
> function ought to be enough to get up or down casing as desired, I'd think.

Some questions:

Is there a way to make this work?  At what level should the current
system be modified?  If the parser or lexer is to be modified, are they
going to need database access?  They are not allowed to, AFAIR.

One could invent a GUC setting for this, and have it set at database
creation time.  How would shared catalogs be handled?  Should we have a
template database for uppercase and another one for lower case
databases?  Should non-shared catalogs be handled in a special way?

Or maybe it is a compilation switch.  What issues would arise?

"Before you were born your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They
got that way paying your bills, cleaning up your room and listening to you
tell them how idealistic you are."  -- Charles J. Sykes' advice to teenagers

Re: Do we prefer software that works or software that looks good?

От
Stephan Szabo
Дата:
On Sat, 24 Apr 2004, Shachar Shemesh wrote:

> Stephan Szabo wrote:
>
> >Are we going to get rid of the current behavior entirely?
> >
> I doubt that will be a good idea. You want to let applications created
> for previous versions of PostgreSQL continue to work. The idea, I think,
> is to have either a DB wide, or a session wide, option to have it either
> way. We may have to create a DB conversion tool, that converts a DB from
> one way to the other (and changes the case of functions, along the way).

I'm going to assume that we're making the assumption that the user isn't
going to try to do this on databases where it doesn't work? I think we've
lost any information about quoting (was that named "foo" or foo?) so I
don't think we can meaningfully make a current PostgreSQL app that's
inconsistent about quoting work after the conversion. I think this is
reasonable, but others may disagree.

> > If so, how are
> >we going to handle issues like current databases with names like foo and
> >"FOO" (and what if the name was given as "foo")?
> >
> I think these are really rare. The conversion tool can warn about these
> cases.

I agree, but we need to think about these cases (and any other wacky cases
like this) so that we can warn about these cases rather than just not
handle them.

> > If not, when can one set
> >the folding options and how do we (in the long term) make the database
> >work properly in both settings.
> >
> I don't think having the same DB work in both folding options is really
> a big issue. Having two databases on the same server, one this way and
> one the other is, however. You don't want to install two database
> servers, merely because you have two applications developed for two
> different PG versions.

To be honest for me, it really doesn't feel much different than an app
written for 7.2 and one written for 7.4 where the former uses things that
were removed and so cannot be moved to 7.4 without changes. But that's
just an option.

> > Things like "don't worry about the catalog
> >entries" don't fly when your standard functions are defined and
> >looked up there.
> >

> Answer above.

Okay, under that world view (as opposed to on the fly), I think the only
issues come in from shared catalogs, most importantly user names.  This is
certainly solvable, but we need to consider how we handle them when given
to commands like ALTER USER or CREATE USER.

> > The fold up and down compare one then the other on a failure of the
> >first may be fairly invasive changes,
> >
> In what way invasive?

Right now AFAIK most of the case folding stuff pretty much happens in one
place during normal queries and the identifier string you get out has the
post-folding identifier for unquoted or the contained literal for quoted.

In a system where you fold both directions, I can see a few
obvious options:a) keep around the real identifier that was given plus whether or  not it was quoted.b) keep around
bothfolded identifiers (for non-quoted names).c) fold one direction then the other.  This may potentially do the
wrongthing in some locales

I don't know how you were planning to handle this issue so I don't know if
any of these scenarios were what you were thinking of or if you had a
better idea.  I think all of these potentially may need to touch at least
some places where the identifier is used and I think all of them need
information that is not AFAIK currently returned from scan.l which means
passing that information along (which may change stuff along the way).

> > still has problems when quotes
> >are used inconsistently
> >
> The main issue, as far as I'm concerned, is not with PG apps that need
> to be ported to the new scheme. I don't have any qualm with never
> deprecating the lowercase folding. This, of course, puts a burden on
> utilities that work as infrastructure to always quote or always
> not-quote (depending on exact semantics), but that, I believe, is solveable.
>
> My problem is with applications written for other, more standard
> complient, databases, and with porting these into PG. As such, if the
> app uses inconsistent quoting, it today relies on uppercase folding, and
> will not have any problem.

That sounds like a plus for having the option for full uppercase folding.
I have no problems with that (I wouldn't have even looked at initdb if I
didn't want to give an option for uppercase folding) but I'm not convinced
it actually is a plus for the transitional setting. An app written for
full uppercase should work in said option without needing the transitional
setting and in fact the transitional setting might do the wrong thing for
said application. The only place I can see transitional being useful is
for upgrading and testing our own stuff (make the server work, make
pg_dump work, etc) and for applications moving from supporting only the
lowercase to supporting both or only upper. For the former, it doesn't
need to be a truly supported feature if it's going in in a single version,
and for the latter, I think as many of the wierd change and such issues as
possible are important and need to be considered if only for documentation
purposes.

Re: What can we learn from MySQL?

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 16:36:57 -0400,
  pgsql@mohawksoft.com wrote:

> Ease of use is VERY important, but few suggestions that address this are
> ever really accepted. Yes, focusing on the functionality is the primary
> concern, but "how" you set it up and deploy it is VERY important. You guys
> need to remember, people are coming from a world where MySQL, Oracle, and
> MSSQL all have nice setup programs.

"nice" must be in the eye of the beholder. I have used Oracle's installer
to install a client and was not amused by it need hundreds of megabtyes
to do a client install.

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What can we learn from MySQL?

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 11:45:28AM -0400, Robert Treat wrote:

> lower will now simply be folder upper. the only people who will have a
> problem are those who quote on one end but not the other, which is bad
> practice anyways...  so i would say if your serious about it, make the
> patch as GUC "case_folding" for upper or lower and get a taste for what
> breaks inside the db.

If it were that easy, it wouldn't matter, right?  That is, if you had
a system which was either consistently quoted or consistently
unquoted, then you'd never run into the problem of the upper-or-lower
question.

It's precisely _because_ systems often have been maintained by
various cranks for 20 years that it's a problem.  One guy thinks
quoting is stupid.  Another thinks that if you don't quote, you're
asking for trouble,  A third has been rigourous in following the
quoting convention he learned in his last job.  The ship date is
three weeks away, and there are 802 "P1" bugs filed.  What chance do
you think there is that someone is going to scrub all the checkins of
quotes (or apply them carefully)?  This is _exactly_ why standards
compliance for this stuff matters, and why backward comaptibility is
also a top priority.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca

Re: What can we learn from MySQL?

От
Jordan Henderson
Дата:
I think that when considering install, it is very
important, if not critical, that we all understand who
is doing the install.  Certainly if it is a person
much like us, meaning people on the
hackers/development list, we can all handle more terse
installs.  Personally, I like the freedom of choices,
and not having a result of hundreds of megs that I
know are not required.

On the other hand, we are really a minority.  The
masses certainly like simple installs, regardless of
just how many megs are used, needed or not.  If the
masses really cared, then Microsoft would be in
trouble.  But, as we can see in the market place, they
don't.  In fact, most people think more is better.
Somehow they think 2 CDROMs is better than 1 CDROM.

So, if it takes an extra 200 meg to make a glitsy
install with little videos expounding on how great
Postgresql is, then for that user, it will make all of
the difference.  We need to remember who the audience
is.  We cannot gain mass market share otherwise.

My 2 cents, won't buy coffee,
Jordan Henderson
--- Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 16:36:57 -0400,
>   pgsql@mohawksoft.com wrote:
> >
> > Ease of use is VERY important, but few suggestions
> that address this are
> > ever really accepted. Yes, focusing on the
> functionality is the primary
> > concern, but "how" you set it up and deploy it is
> VERY important. You guys
> > need to remember, people are coming from a world
> where MySQL, Oracle, and
> > MSSQL all have nice setup programs.
>
> "nice" must be in the eye of the beholder. I have
> used Oracle's installer
> to install a client and was not amused by it need
> hundreds of megabtyes
> to do a client install.
>
> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Do we prefer software that works or software that looks good?

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Saturday 24 April 2004 09:21, Shachar Shemesh wrote:
> Robert Treat wrote:
> >Oh well... let's see if we can find a way to support both...
>
> You are welcome to join the other leg of this thread, then. That one is
> not CCed to advocacy, as it is 100% technical.

I'm already there...

Robert Treat

Re: Do we prefer software that works or software that

От
Stephan Szabo
Дата:
On Sat, 24 Apr 2004, Stephan Szabo wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Apr 2004, Shachar Shemesh wrote:
>
> > Stephan Szabo wrote:
>
> > > Things like "don't worry about the catalog
> > >entries" don't fly when your standard functions are defined and
> > >looked up there.
> > >

> > Answer above.
>
> Okay, under that world view (as opposed to on the fly), I think the only
> issues come in from shared catalogs, most importantly user names.  This is

In fact the above is incomplete.  You also need to be able to do the right
thing when creating a database with a different setting than its template
database. I'm not really sure how to define "right thing" however if
things have been added to the template db.

Rob wrote:
> But I think there is room to go further, I don't see any reason why
> that default install can't include example DBs,

One reason is that a useful example database would likely have a
download footprint of 10 MB or more.  Having this in the default
download would not be appreciated by many people.  Of course having
some example database available at all would be a good idea, but then
as a separate download.

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What can we learn from MySQL?

Дата:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Rob wrote:
> > But I think there is room to go further, I don't see any reason why
> > that default install can't include example DBs,
>
> One reason is that a useful example database would likely have a
> download footprint of 10 MB or more.  Having this in the default
> download would not be appreciated by many people.  Of course having
> some example database available at all would be a good idea, but then
> as a separate download.

Here is a little psql script I wrote to populate a table with random
data.

\set ECHO all
\timing
DROP TABLE perftest;
CREATE TABLE perftest (col text);

-- prime table with one row
INSERT INTO perftest VALUES ('0.364461265208414');

-- continously double the table size
INSERT INTO perftest SELECT random()::text FROM perftest;
INSERT INTO perftest SELECT random()::text FROM perftest;
INSERT INTO perftest SELECT random()::text FROM perftest;
INSERT INTO perftest SELECT random()::text FROM perftest;
INSERT INTO perftest SELECT random()::text FROM perftest;
INSERT INTO perftest SELECT random()::text FROM perftest;
INSERT INTO perftest SELECT random()::text FROM perftest;
INSERT INTO perftest SELECT random()::text FROM perftest;
INSERT INTO perftest SELECT random()::text FROM perftest;
INSERT INTO perftest SELECT random()::text FROM perftest;
INSERT INTO perftest SELECT random()::text FROM perftest;
INSERT INTO perftest SELECT random()::text FROM perftest;
INSERT INTO perftest SELECT random()::text FROM perftest;
INSERT INTO perftest SELECT random()::text FROM perftest;

-- insert a constant in the middle of the table, for use later
INSERT INTO perftest VALUES ('0.608254158221304');
INSERT INTO perftest SELECT random()::text FROM perftest;
-- 32770 rows

-- vacuum, create index
VACUUM ANALYZE perftest;
CREATE INDEX i_perftest ON perftest (col);
-- reduce chance of checkpoint during tests
CHECKPOINT;

-- turn on logging
SET log_duration = TRUE;
SET client_min_messages = 'log';

-- run normal and prepared queries
SELECT col FROM perftest WHERE col = '0.608254158221304';
SELECT col FROM perftest WHERE col = '0.608254158221304';
SELECT col FROM perftest WHERE col = '0.608254158221304';
SELECT col FROM perftest WHERE col = '0.608254158221304';
SELECT col FROM perftest WHERE col = '0.608254158221304';
PREPARE perftest_prep (text) AS SELECT col FROM perftest WHERE col = $1;
EXECUTE perftest_prep ('0.608254158221304');
EXECUTE perftest_prep ('0.608254158221304');
EXECUTE perftest_prep ('0.608254158221304');
EXECUTE perftest_prep ('0.608254158221304');
EXECUTE perftest_prep ('0.608254158221304');

-- first time the entire statement
SET log_statement_stats = TRUE;

-- run normal and prepared queries
SELECT col FROM perftest WHERE col = '0.608254158221304';
SELECT col FROM perftest WHERE col = '0.608254158221304';
SELECT col FROM perftest WHERE col = '0.608254158221304';
SELECT col FROM perftest WHERE col = '0.608254158221304';
SELECT col FROM perftest WHERE col = '0.608254158221304';
PREPARE perftest_prep (text) AS SELECT col FROM perftest WHERE col = $1;
EXECUTE perftest_prep ('0.608254158221304');
EXECUTE perftest_prep ('0.608254158221304');
EXECUTE perftest_prep ('0.608254158221304');
EXECUTE perftest_prep ('0.608254158221304');
EXECUTE perftest_prep ('0.608254158221304');

-- now log each query stage
SET log_statement_stats = FALSE;
SET log_parser_stats = TRUE;
SET log_planner_stats = TRUE;
SET log_executor_stats = TRUE;

-- run normal and prepared queries
SELECT col FROM perftest WHERE col = '0.608254158221304';
SELECT col FROM perftest WHERE col = '0.608254158221304';
SELECT col FROM perftest WHERE col = '0.608254158221304';
SELECT col FROM perftest WHERE col = '0.608254158221304';
SELECT col FROM perftest WHERE col = '0.608254158221304';
EXECUTE perftest_prep ('0.608254158221304');
EXECUTE perftest_prep ('0.608254158221304');
EXECUTE perftest_prep ('0.608254158221304');
EXECUTE perftest_prep ('0.608254158221304');
EXECUTE perftest_prep ('0.608254158221304');

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What can we learn from MySQL?

От
David Costa
Дата:
On Apr 23, 2004, at 8:35 AM, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

>> My question is, "What can we learn from MySQL?"  I don't know there is
>> anything, but I think it makes sense to ask the question.
>> Questions I have are:
>
> I have already told Bruce at length about the single most common
> complaint in the phpPgAdmin lists and in the IRC channel: the
> inability to change column types.  I think we should listen to the
> punters on that one.
>
> Also, how about a new section in the manual: PostgreSQL for MySQL
> users and PostgreSQL for Oracle users?

Hello Bruce, Chris and everyone,
So far I have offered free PHP5/ PostgreSQL hosting to around 800
developers that signed up on dotgeek.org
I gathered a number of feedback.

Overall many PHP developers are extremely impressed by PostgreSQL but
they never had the chance/found a reason to try it.

The issues are related mainly to the syntax. Here MySQL, by using non
standards systems, is making the move not that easy to many developers.

Marketing is an important point, so is being able to let the highest
number of people to try PostgreSQL and see the difference.
Another problem is, as far as I can say, their easier to search and
more user friendly manual. I know that Alexey is working on that so I
will think about a way
to contribute directly. Users  (and monitored) comments are a must IMHO.

Cheers
David Costa

> Chris

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What can we learn from MySQL?

От
Chris Travers
Дата:
Bruno Wolff III wrote:

>On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 16:36:57 -0400,
>  pgsql@mohawksoft.com wrote:
>

>>Ease of use is VERY important, but few suggestions that address this are
>>ever really accepted. Yes, focusing on the functionality is the primary
>>concern, but "how" you set it up and deploy it is VERY important. You guys
>>need to remember, people are coming from a world where MySQL, Oracle, and
>>MSSQL all have nice setup programs.
>>

>"nice" must be in the eye of the beholder. I have used Oracle's installer
>to install a client and was not amused by it need hundreds of megabtyes
>to do a client install.

I second that.  I have not found *anybody* who has used Oracle's
installer to install the actual database server on Linux or Solaris who
has described their installation proceedure as either "nice" or "easy."
In fact even reading the installation isntructions is enough to give you
second thoughts....  MS SQL does have a nice installer, however, as do
most binary open source products for Windows.  I am completely confident
that PostgreSQL for Windows, when it arrives, will have a nice GUI-based
installer.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting

Вложения

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What can we learn from MySQL?

От
Rob
Дата:
Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 16:36:57 -0400,
>   pgsql@mohawksoft.com wrote:
>
>>Ease of use is VERY important, but few suggestions that address this are
>>ever really accepted. Yes, focusing on the functionality is the primary
>>concern, but "how" you set it up and deploy it is VERY important. You guys
>>need to remember, people are coming from a world where MySQL, Oracle, and
>>MSSQL all have nice setup programs.
>

> "nice" must be in the eye of the beholder. I have used Oracle's installer
> to install a client and was not amused by it need hundreds of megabtyes
> to do a client install.

I have to agree, I've installed DB2, Sybase, Oracle, Informix,
BerkeleyDB, mySQL, postgreSQL and others.

IIRC, I believe postgreSQL was the shortest from download to running
system (when compiling the OS ones from scratch) and seemed to do the
most thorough testing of itself.

Oracle doesn't seem to give you the option to not install the hundreds
of megs of documentation on the Nth machine where you just needed the
damn client lib - less of an issue now than in the smaller
disk/partition days.

But I think there is room to go further, I don't see any reason why that
default install can't include example DBs, sample maintenance scripts,
etc. One nice thing to have would be a sample DB with the scripts
necessary to spin up a test/demo DB with a size of X megs. Whenever I
started with a new DB system, I wished I didn't have to ramp up on a
bunch of topics before I was able to build a set of scripts to generate
and populate a sizable testing db. There is a big psychological factor
if you can install something, type one command and have a db with
250,000 records to start playing with.

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What can we learn from MySQL?

От
Rob
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>
>>Rob wrote:
>>
>>>But I think there is room to go further, I don't see any reason why
>>>that default install can't include example DBs,
>>
>>One reason is that a useful example database would likely have a
>>download footprint of 10 MB or more.  Having this in the default
>>download would not be appreciated by many people.  Of course having
>>some example database available at all would be a good idea, but then
>>as a separate download.
>

> Here is a little psql script I wrote to populate a table with random
> data.
[snip]

Right, I have done the same in the past using random character data (it
even had random lengths of strings in the different fields) and in other
cases random dictionary words. I was thinking something with more
structure, like an customer/product/invoice db with random records that
link up to each other properly.

I will work on something but am wondering if there are any freely
available schemas around (for any system, I know Sybase has a book
publishing one that they use in their example queries and is provided
with their install, "pubs2" I believe) that might be good for use in a
more extended sample db.

Are there any platforms (outside of MS Windows) that don't include a
word list or dictionary these days?

Re: What can we learn from MySQL?

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
I'm certain you guys could do a far better installer than the one Oracle
has, which is very, very fragile. There's all kinds of wonkiness to try
and get it to work on a non-supported linux distro (gentoo in my case),
and from talking to people who've dealt with it on redhat it's no
better.

Also, if possible, I think an installer that plays nice with package
management systems would be important. Many users want to use their OS's
package system to handle install and upgrade rather than some other
installer.

On Sat, Apr 24, 2004 at 12:10:01PM -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 16:36:57 -0400,
>   pgsql@mohawksoft.com wrote:
> >
> > Ease of use is VERY important, but few suggestions that address this are
> > ever really accepted. Yes, focusing on the functionality is the primary
> > concern, but "how" you set it up and deploy it is VERY important. You guys
> > need to remember, people are coming from a world where MySQL, Oracle, and
> > MSSQL all have nice setup programs.
>
> "nice" must be in the eye of the beholder. I have used Oracle's installer
> to install a client and was not amused by it need hundreds of megabtyes
> to do a client install.

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Consultant                  jim@nasby.net

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Do we prefer software that works or software

От
Shachar Shemesh
Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:

>Shachar,
>

>>Now, I'm intending to do the best I can on my end. This does have a
>>pretty heavy cost. It means that the OLE DB driver will parse in details
>>each query, and perform replacements on the query text. This is bug
>>prone, difficult, hurts performance, and just plain wrong from a
>>software design perspective. The current drift of wind, however, means
>>that the PostgreSQL steering commite seems to prefer having a lesser
>>quality driver to seeing ugly uppercase.
>>

>Hey, now wait a minute.   As far as I can tell, you've heard only from Tom
>Lane on the steering committee (I may have missed some, though, I've been
>sick)

Exactly. Of the people I heard from, the wind was against.

>   Unless the 5 of us take a vote, Tom Lane speaks for Tom Lane, not for
>Core.    Also, usually this list or Patches determines by consensus what gets
>in; the Core only gets involved in very unusual cases.

That's why we are holding an open thread on the "how" in "hackers". I'm
assuming that once the "how" is sufficiently resolved, and the
implications understood, everyone can make a better decision on the "do
we at all".

             Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting
http://www.lingnu.com/

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Do we prefer software that works or software that looks good?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Shachar,

> Now, I'm intending to do the best I can on my end. This does have a
> pretty heavy cost. It means that the OLE DB driver will parse in details
> each query, and perform replacements on the query text. This is bug
> prone, difficult, hurts performance, and just plain wrong from a
> software design perspective. The current drift of wind, however, means
> that the PostgreSQL steering commite seems to prefer having a lesser
> quality driver to seeing ugly uppercase.

Hey, now wait a minute.   As far as I can tell, you've heard only from Tom
Lane on the steering committee (I may have missed some, though, I've been
sick)   Unless the 5 of us take a vote, Tom Lane speaks for Tom Lane, not for
Core.    Also, usually this list or Patches determines by consensus what gets
in; the Core only gets involved in very unusual cases.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: What can we learn from MySQL?

Дата:
Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
[ PGP not available, raw data follows ]

> > My question is, "What can we learn from MySQL?" �I don't know there is
> > anything, but I think it makes sense to ask the question.
>
> Dear Bruce,
>
> Taking the example of pgAdmin III, which reached nearly one million hits in
> December (http://www.pgadmin.org/stats/webalizer), nothing seems impossible
> for PostgreSQL.
>
> Why not create an all-in-one bundle offering PostgreSQL, Apache, Php and
> PhpPgAdmin for Win32 and ... mass-release it.
>
> There is no need to create a complete installer. There could be a single
> installer executing other installers (like it is sometimes the case in the
> Win32 world). So that installers remain different.
>
> A single web page like "http://win.postgresql.org" in 40 languages is enough
> to mass-release PostgreSQL.
>
> With an installer and a single web page, PostgreSQL Win32 could quickly reach
> one million downloads every month.
>
> There is no need to look for complicated strategies. Every month, there can be
> 10% more downloads. In the end, people will even forget the name of MySQL.

That seems like a good idea.

Re: What can we learn from MySQL?

От
Jean-Michel POURE
Дата:

Re: What can we learn from MySQL?

От
Karel Zak
Дата:
On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 04:41:35PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
> [ PGP not available, raw data follows ]
> >
> > > My question is, "What can we learn from MySQL?"  I don't know there is
> > > anything, but I think it makes sense to ask the question.
> >
> > Dear Bruce,
> >
> > Taking the example of pgAdmin III, which reached nearly one million hits in
> > December (http://www.pgadmin.org/stats/webalizer), nothing seems impossible
> > for PostgreSQL.
> >
> > Why not create an all-in-one bundle offering PostgreSQL, Apache, Php and
> > PhpPgAdmin for Win32 and ... mass-release it.
> >
> > There is no need to create a complete installer. There could be a single
> > installer executing other installers (like it is sometimes the case in the
> > Win32 world). So that installers remain different.
> >
> > A single web page like "http://win.postgresql.org" in 40 languages is enough
> > to mass-release PostgreSQL.
> >
> > With an installer and a single web page, PostgreSQL Win32 could quickly reach
> > one million downloads every month.
> >
> > There is no need to look for complicated strategies. Every month, there can be
> > 10% more downloads. In the end, people will even forget the name of MySQL.
>
> That seems like a good idea.

 Agree. The  page  should  be  describe basic  PostgreSQL  features  and
 step-by-step introduction from  download to a first  user's "SELECT ...
 FROM".

 Do you expect translate PostgreSQL-win installer to foreign languages?

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz>
 http://home.zf.jcu.cz/~zakkr/

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What can we learn from MySQL?

От
Tim Conrad
Дата:
I've been sort-of reading this thread off and on, so this may
contain duplicate suggestions.

I was researching an article I wrote about a comparison between
Postgres and MySQL recently (If you want, you can read the article
at http://www.devx.com/dbzone/Article/20743/). I noticed some clear
differences between the mysql.com website and the Postgres website.

1) Since MySQL AB supports and trains for MySQL, there's loads of
   training information available on their website. On the other
   hand, I had a hard time finding training information for Postgres
   in general. Same goes for support. It's easier to find, but it's
   still somewhat convoluted, IMO.

2) There doesn't seem to be a clear roadmap on Postgres features.
   When certian things are expected. There's the TODO list that
   Bruce maintains, but it only outlines 'near' fixes. MySQL has a
   nice listing of what to expect in certian future versions. I know
   it's not a perfect list, but it'd be nice to know when full blown
   replication will be included in PostgreSQL as an example.
   On those same lines, there doesn't seem to be anything about the
   improvements in the minor versions. It seems that in every
   release (i.e. 7.2,7.3,7.4) there are pretty significant changes,
   but finding a place that outlines these changes is somewhat
   difficult.
   While being somewhat nit-picky on this, it'd also be helpful if
   someone wasn't completely database literate could understand some
   of the changes. Who needs transactions, anyways? :)

 3) There's the issues of 'advanced database features' in general.
    Many MySQL applications perform much of their logic in the
    application level, instead of the database level. They do this
    because there aren't things like triggers or stored procedures
    in MySQL. As the saying goes, 'if mohammad won't go to the
    mountain, bring the mountian to mohammad'. Why not do some
    simple explainations as to why these things are good, and what
    they do, and how to use them in real context?

 4) As other peole have noted, there's no windows build readily
    available for Postgres. There may be, but it's difficult to
    find. If someone's used to running, say, Oracle, and all they
    have is a windows machine to test something out on, MySQL has
    compiled binaries ready to go.

 5) I believe that this was noted as well somewhere along the line -
    the other tools, like pgadmin III aren't readily available
    either. They're excellent tools, and they should be quick to
    find on the postgres website.

 6) Bug tracking. I haven't really looked into how MySQL handles
    this, but when learning about Postgres, I discovered that the
    whole development model seemed kind of 'closed', and people on
    the mailing lists would find bugs repeatedly. Something like
    Bugzilla would be very helpful in this respect. I've been kind
    of out of the loop for the past 6 months in this area, so it may
    have changed since then.

 7) The two Postgres books are available online for anyone to read
    and download. They're there, but, to me, you have to notice them
    on the sidebar to go to them. They're extremely helpful, and
    they should be pointed out more.

Most of these suggestions aren't really anything to do with the
database itself. It's simply a re-organization of some of the
information that's already available. As others have mentioned,
'it's about the PR'.

Just my $.02 worth.

Tim

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What can we learn from MySQL?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Tim Conrad wrote:

> 2) There doesn't seem to be a clear roadmap on Postgres features.
>    When certian things are expected. There's the TODO list that
>    Bruce maintains, but it only outlines 'near' fixes. MySQL has a
>    nice listing of what to expect in certian future versions.

Not possible for us, since we have no "upper management" that dictates
what features get added, for when ...

>    I know
>    it's not a perfect list, but it'd be nice to know when full blown
>    replication will be included in PostgreSQL as an example.

Never, since there is no such thing as a 'full blown replication', since
there is no *one* way to do replication ...

>  3) There's the issues of 'advanced database features' in general.
>     Many MySQL applications perform much of their logic in the
>     application level, instead of the database level. They do this
>     because there aren't things like triggers or stored procedures
>     in MySQL. As the saying goes, 'if mohammad won't go to the
>     mountain, bring the mountian to mohammad'. Why not do some
>     simple explainations as to why these things are good, and what
>     they do, and how to use them in real context?

Just a matter of someone writing and submitting it ... how are your
writing skills? :)

>  4) As other peole have noted, there's no windows build readily
>     available for Postgres. There may be, but it's difficult to
>     find. If someone's used to running, say, Oracle, and all they
>     have is a windows machine to test something out on, MySQL has
>     compiled binaries ready to go.

there is no native windows currently available, but its being worked on
for 7.5 ... after which, a pre-compiled binary becomes automatic ...

----

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What can we learn from MySQL?

От
Tim Conrad
Дата:
On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 07:55:08PM +0400, Alexey Borzov wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Tim Conrad wrote:
> >I was researching an article I wrote about a comparison between
> >Postgres and MySQL recently (If you want, you can read the article
> >at http://www.devx.com/dbzone/Article/20743/). I noticed some clear
> >differences between the mysql.com website and the Postgres website.
>
> Sorry, couldn't resist: may I suggest doing the research *before*
> writing an article, not *after*?
>
> My favourite part of it is:
> --------
> MySQL uses traditional row-level locking. PostgreSQL uses something
> called Multi Version Concurrency Control (MVCC) by default. MVCC is a
> little different from row-level locking in that transactions on the
> database are performed on a snapshot of the data and then serialized.
> New versions of PostgreSQL support standard row-level locking as an
> option, but MVCC is the preferred method.
> --------
Nice that you point out that incorrectly stated something. Even
nicer that you don't tell me what the correct answer would be.
Unfortunanatly, that's the best I could come up with with doing
research with the documentation I could find on the subject. MVCC
does a  lot more than can be easily contained in a sentance.

> >2) There doesn't seem to be a clear roadmap on Postgres features.
> >   When certian things are expected. There's the TODO list that
> >   Bruce maintains, but it only outlines 'near' fixes. MySQL has a
> >   nice listing of what to expect in certian future versions. I know
> >   it's not a perfect list, but it'd be nice to know when full blown
> >   replication will be included in PostgreSQL as an example.
>
> MySQL's roadmap is complete bullshit. Subselects were first promised in
> 4.0, which was "not that far away" [1] back in 1998! Well, they are in
> 4.1, which is still alpha in 2004.

I realize this.  I also realize that having a nicely defined roadmap would
give Postgres a hands up in this category.

> Of course, some gullible people actually believe this and compare [2]
> the existing and working implementations with vaporware (MySQL 5.1,
> anyone?).
>
> >   On those same lines, there doesn't seem to be anything about the
> >   improvements in the minor versions. It seems that in every
> >   release (i.e. 7.2,7.3,7.4) there are pretty significant changes,
> >   but finding a place that outlines these changes is somewhat
> >   difficult.
>
> Have you tried looking in the release notes [3]?
>

> [1] http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/194/1998/8/0/1061364/
> [2] http://www.devx.com/dbzone/Article/20743/1763?supportItem=1
> [3] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/release.html

I guess I'm an ignorant fool and I don't comprehend many of the
items under the release note. I'm also looking for something I can
hand my boss and say ' this is why we should use postgres instead of
oracle'.

Tim

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What can we learn from MySQL?

От
Tim Conrad
Дата:
On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 12:58:59PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Tim Conrad wrote:
>
> > 2) There doesn't seem to be a clear roadmap on Postgres features.
> >    When certian things are expected. There's the TODO list that
> >    Bruce maintains, but it only outlines 'near' fixes. MySQL has a
> >    nice listing of what to expect in certian future versions.
>
> Not possible for us, since we have no "upper management" that dictates
> what features get added, for when ...

Not entirely true. I've read enough on the lists to see Bruce or
others saying 'x feature isn't expected until version y.z'. Heck, to
me, something that says 'we're hoping for feature x in version y.z',
but it's not an exact science.  See the MySQL releases as an example
:)

> >    I know
> >    it's not a perfect list, but it'd be nice to know when full blown
> >    replication will be included in PostgreSQL as an example.
>
> Never, since there is no such thing as a 'full blown replication', since
> there is no *one* way to do replication ...

It was puretly there for example purposes...

> >  3) There's the issues of 'advanced database features' in general.
> >     Many MySQL applications perform much of their logic in the
> >     application level, instead of the database level. They do this
> >     because there aren't things like triggers or stored procedures
> >     in MySQL. As the saying goes, 'if mohammad won't go to the
> >     mountain, bring the mountian to mohammad'. Why not do some
> >     simple explainations as to why these things are good, and what
> >     they do, and how to use them in real context?
>
> Just a matter of someone writing and submitting it ... how are your
> writing skills? :)
>
> >  4) As other peole have noted, there's no windows build readily
> >     available for Postgres. There may be, but it's difficult to
> >     find. If someone's used to running, say, Oracle, and all they
> >     have is a windows machine to test something out on, MySQL has
> >     compiled binaries ready to go.
>
> there is no native windows currently available, but its being worked on
> for 7.5 ... after which, a pre-compiled binary becomes automatic ...
>

> ----
> Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What can we learn from MySQL?

Дата:
Tim Conrad wrote:
> > Of course, some gullible people actually believe this and compare [2]
> > the existing and working implementations with vaporware (MySQL 5.1,
> > anyone?).
> >
> > >   On those same lines, there doesn't seem to be anything about the
> > >   improvements in the minor versions. It seems that in every
> > >   release (i.e. 7.2,7.3,7.4) there are pretty significant changes,
> > >   but finding a place that outlines these changes is somewhat
> > >   difficult.
> >
> > Have you tried looking in the release notes [3]?
> >

> > [1] http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/194/1998/8/0/1061364/
> > [2] http://www.devx.com/dbzone/Article/20743/1763?supportItem=1
> > [3] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/release.html
>
> I guess I'm an ignorant fool and I don't comprehend many of the
> items under the release note. I'm also looking for something I can
> hand my boss and say ' this is why we should use postgres instead of
> oracle'.

I think the summary of each release at the top would be OK for that.

Actually, your biggest problem is that we don't have a big motivation to
_sell_ PostgreSQL to anyone.  We are more driven toward solving problems
and designing superior software.  If it looks like we don't have a
polished sales image, that's because we don't stive for that.  However,
we have had a large number of volunteers over the past few months focus
in this area and I hope there will be visible results shortly.

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What can we learn from MySQL?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Tim Conrad wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 12:58:59PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Tim Conrad wrote:
> >
> > > 2) There doesn't seem to be a clear roadmap on Postgres features.
> > >    When certian things are expected. There's the TODO list that
> > >    Bruce maintains, but it only outlines 'near' fixes. MySQL has a
> > >    nice listing of what to expect in certian future versions.
> >
> > Not possible for us, since we have no "upper management" that dictates
> > what features get added, for when ...
>
> Not entirely true. I've read enough on the lists to see Bruce or
> others saying 'x feature isn't expected until version y.z'. Heck, to
> me, something that says 'we're hoping for feature x in version y.z',
> but it's not an exact science.  See the MySQL releases as an example
> :)

Ah, then in that case, look at the TODO list, pull out all items that have
a name beside them, and for those, they aren't expected until the next
version .. :)

----

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What can we learn from MySQL?

От
Tim Conrad
Дата:
> > Not entirely true. I've read enough on the lists to see Bruce or
> > others saying 'x feature isn't expected until version y.z'. Heck, to
> > me, something that says 'we're hoping for feature x in version y.z',
> > but it's not an exact science.  See the MySQL releases as an example
> > :)
>
> Ah, then in that case, look at the TODO list, pull out all items that have
> a name beside them, and for those, they aren't expected until the next
> version .. :)

But the list is loooonng...and my brain is weeeaaaakkk. :)

Seriously, though. I was looking through the list yesterday trying
to figure out something, and it was kind of hard to do.But, more to
my point, this stuff is in the MySQL manual, making it easy to find.
(Yes. I know what MySQL includes kind of blows, but, it's better
than nothing)

Tim

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What can we learn from MySQL?

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 21:31:33 -0400,
  Andrew Payne <andy@payne.org> wrote:

> At some point (probably there now), I think the lack of a "Postgres, Inc."
> is going to hinder adoption.  Companies want to 'buy' from vendors that look
> like real, viable companies, and provide them products with support,
> training, features, and direction.  With MySQL, you get one stop shopping.
> With Postgres, you've got to find and assemble the parts yourself.  Most
> CIOs stop there, and start waiting for MySQL to get better before switching
> from Oracle.

I would expect that technical people (which would be DBAs and application
developers) should be doing this research and reporting the results to the CIO.

> The other issue is marketing:  in mature software markets, the best
> marketing (not the best technology) often wins.  Without a sizeable
> marketing budget earmarked for Postgres, MySQL could be 60% as good and
> still win, unfortunately.

It is not clear that Postgres needs to "win". It needs to have enough people
interested in it in order to continue to significant development. It doesn't
need to have a majority of the market share in order to do this. I suspect
that get a larger market share amoungst some categories of users will
hurt development by requiring more support than they contribute back to
the project.

> For those that look to Apache:  Apache never had a well-established
> incumbent (Oracle), an a well-funded upstart competitor (MySQL).  Rob
> McCool's NCSA httpd (and later, Apache) were good enough and developed
> rapidly enough that they prevented any other HTTP server projects from
> getting critical mass.

Perhaps for a while. There are open source web servers now. A derivative
of AOLserver is used by openACS.

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What can we learn from MySQL?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 12:57:46PM -0400, Tim Conrad wrote:

> Seriously, though. I was looking through the list yesterday trying
> to figure out something, and it was kind of hard to do.But, more to
> my point, this stuff is in the MySQL manual, making it easy to find.
> (Yes. I know what MySQL includes kind of blows, but, it's better
> than nothing)

You know, that's kind of the point of all things related to MySQL.
"It's better than nothing."  PostgreSQL doesn't do things because "it's
better than nothing."  My first patch here was rejected, not because it
didn't do anything useful (it did), but because "it didn't solve the
complete problem."  I had to do a lot more work to get it accepted.
Similarly, people here don't want to showcase a list of things that will
be on the next release, because we _don't know_ what will be on the next
release.  There are guesses, but guesses are not good enough.

(Same as how MySQL guesses the result of a modulo operation, and gets it
wrong.  They don't care and you can read that on the manual.  In
Postgres, this is a bug.)

In PostgreSQL there are no guesses.  There are certainties.  And I think
this it how it should be for a database server ;-)

"No hay cielo posible sin hundir nuestras raíces
en la profundidad de la tierra"                        (Malucha Pinto)

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What can we learn from MySQL?

От
Chris Travers
Дата:
Jim C. Nasby wrote:

>Maybe also a more generic section about how PGSQL is different from
>other databases. Maybe I'm just dense, but it took me a long time to
>figure out the whole lack of stored procedures thing (yes, PGSQL
>obviously has the functionality, but many experienced DBAs won't
>associate functions with stored procs). Pointing out the documentation
>on MVCC and how it changes how you want to use the database would be
>good, as would links to documentation on what postgresql.conf settings
>you want to change out of the box.

I think this is a good idea.  And you seem to be suggesting that it
includes information on differences in nomenclature as well.

>On the other topics...
>I think the biggest service PGSQL could provide to the open source
>community is a resource that teaches people with no database experience
>the fundamentals of databases. If people had an understanding of what a
>RDBMS should be capable of and how it should be used, they wouldn't pick
>MySQL.

I think that this is incredibly important.  Many many developers choose
MySQL because MySQL really does make the effort in this regard.  This
strategy has helped both MySQL and Red Hat become the commercial
successes they are today.

>Having a windows port is critical for 'student mindshare'. If PGSQL can't
>play on windows, professors can't use it. Likewise, installation on OS X
>should be made as easy as possible.

PostgreSQL *can* play on Windows (via Cygwin) and I am not sure that
this is so important to student mindshare.  Howener, it is important for
another reason: a windows port (even one labled "for development use
only") would go a LONG way towards recruiting new faces into our
community, as it would lower the barrier to entry for using the database
(yes, the Cygwin installer because of the ipc stuff is a reasonable
barrier to entry).

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What can we learn from MySQL?

От
Paul Tillotson
Дата:
On the other topics...

>> I think the biggest service PGSQL could provide to the open source
>> community is a resource that teaches people with no database experience
>> the fundamentals of databases. If people had an understanding of what a
>> RDBMS should be capable of and how it should be used, they wouldn't pick
>> MySQL.
>>

> I think that this is incredibly important.  Many many developers
> choose MySQL because MySQL really does make the effort in this
> regard.  This strategy has helped both MySQL and Red Hat become the
> commercial successes they are today.

I believe that postgres is making an effort here.  I learned SQL from
the postgres docs found in the first few chapters here:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/tutorial.html

Those, in my opinion, are excellent, and were way more informative to me
than anything on the MySQL website (I tried reading there first).  Maybe
we are aiming for users who had a clue quotient much lower than I, but
those attain an excellent balance between too short and simple to be
useful and too long and complicated.

Paul Tillotson

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What can we learn from MySQL?

От
Chris Travers
Дата:
Alexey Borzov wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Tim Conrad wrote:
>
>>> My favourite part of it is:
>>> --------
>>> MySQL uses traditional row-level locking. PostgreSQL uses something
>>> called Multi Version Concurrency Control (MVCC) by default. MVCC is
>>> a little different from row-level locking in that transactions on
>>> the database are performed on a snapshot of the data and then
>>> serialized. New versions of PostgreSQL support standard row-level
>>> locking as an option, but MVCC is the preferred method.
>>> --------
>>

>> Nice that you point out that incorrectly stated something. Even
>> nicer that you don't tell me what the correct answer would be.
>> Unfortunanatly, that's the best I could come up with with doing
>> research with the documentation I could find on the subject. MVCC
>> does a  lot more than can be easily contained in a sentance.
>

> The problem is that in MySQL
> 1) MyISAM does table-level locking;
> 2) BDB does row-level locking;
> 3) InnoDB does MVCC (mostly) like PostgreSQL.
>
> PostgreSQL does support row-level locking (SELECT ... FOR UPDATE),
> table-level locking (LOCK TABLE ...), though this does not *replace*
> MVCC, as one may understand from the quotation.
>
>>> MySQL's roadmap is complete bullshit. Subselects were first promised
>>> in 4.0, which was "not that far away" [1] back in 1998! Well, they
>>> are in 4.1, which is still alpha in 2004.
>>

>> I realize this.  I also realize that having a nicely defined roadmap
>> would
>> give Postgres a hands up in this category.
>

> A hands up in *what* category? In bragging?
>
> Should PostgreSQL developers write something along the lines of
> "PostgreSQL 9i (available Really Soon Now) will also be able to make
> coffee"?
>
> Well, as you know about coffee now, why don't you add "make coffee" to
> your comparison table, with empty space in MySQL's and commercial
> DBMSs' columns and "in 9i" in PostgreSQL's one?

Maybe.  Just for jest-- If you read the Linux Coffee how-to, write a C
module, get the right hardware, etc. Yes, PostgreSQL can make coffee!
Of course, this would occur outside any sort of transactional control...

Seriously, though...  I think that it would be helpful to have a list of
features which are under active development  (not just the ToDo list
which are features which we want to develop).  We could also have
contact info for leads (or maybe a contact via a web form, etc.) as well
as status for that feature.  As the lead in a project whose roadmap has
changed many times due to paid contracts, I don't really see the value
of published roadmaps in general.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What can we learn from MySQL?

От
Jean-Michel POURE
Дата:
Dear Tim,

These are execellent proposals. My only remark would be to build a
step-by-step approach.

In a first stage, we could set-up a minimal web page for the Win32 port:
- PostgreSQL Win32 installer (possibly translated),
- translation of the web page in 40 languages,
- step-by-step installation under Win32 (screenshots),
- links (NLS project, documentation),

...  advertise (example: http://www.pgadmin.org/pgadmin3/advocacy.php) and
start monitoring downloads.

With PostgreSQL Win32 version and looking at pgAdmin III statistics, reaching
one million downloads every month seems a reasonable target. PostgreSQL is
such a wonderful community project that there is no need to build complex
marketing strategies to reach impressive goals.

In a second stage, we can start building a rich web site (as you proposed) and
make it live on the long run.

Best regards,
Jean-Michel

> [...]
>     whole development model seemed kind of 'closed', and people on
>     the mailing lists would find bugs repeatedly. Something like
>     Bugzilla would be very helpful in this respect. I've been kind
>     of out of the loop for the past 6 months in this area, so it may
>     have changed since then.
>
>  7) The two Postgres books are available online for anyone to read
>     and download. They're there, but, to me, you have to notice them
>     on the sidebar to go to them. They're extremely helpful, and
>     they should be pointed out more.
>

> Most of these suggestions aren't really anything to do with the
> database itself. It's simply a re-organization of some of the
> information that's already available. As others have mentioned,
> 'it's about the PR'.
>
> Just my $.02 worth.
>
> Tim

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What can we learn from MySQL?

Alexey Borzov
Дата:
Hi!

Tim Conrad wrote:
> I was researching an article I wrote about a comparison between
> Postgres and MySQL recently (If you want, you can read the article
> at http://www.devx.com/dbzone/Article/20743/). I noticed some clear
> differences between the mysql.com website and the Postgres website.

Sorry, couldn't resist: may I suggest doing the research *before*
writing an article, not *after*?

My favourite part of it is:
--------
MySQL uses traditional row-level locking. PostgreSQL uses something
called Multi Version Concurrency Control (MVCC) by default. MVCC is a
little different from row-level locking in that transactions on the
database are performed on a snapshot of the data and then serialized.
New versions of PostgreSQL support standard row-level locking as an
option, but MVCC is the preferred method.
--------

> 2) There doesn't seem to be a clear roadmap on Postgres features.
>    When certian things are expected. There's the TODO list that
>    Bruce maintains, but it only outlines 'near' fixes. MySQL has a
>    nice listing of what to expect in certian future versions. I know
>    it's not a perfect list, but it'd be nice to know when full blown
>    replication will be included in PostgreSQL as an example.

MySQL's roadmap is complete bullshit. Subselects were first promised in
4.0, which was "not that far away" [1] back in 1998! Well, they are in
4.1, which is still alpha in 2004.

Of course, some gullible people actually believe this and compare [2]
the existing and working implementations with vaporware (MySQL 5.1,
anyone?).

>    On those same lines, there doesn't seem to be anything about the
>    improvements in the minor versions. It seems that in every
>    release (i.e. 7.2,7.3,7.4) there are pretty significant changes,
>    but finding a place that outlines these changes is somewhat
>    difficult.

Have you tried looking in the release notes [3]?

[1] http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/194/1998/8/0/1061364/
[2] http://www.devx.com/dbzone/Article/20743/1763?supportItem=1
[3] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/release.html

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What can we learn from MySQL?

От
Mark Harrison
Дата:
Alexey Borzov wrote:
>> I realize this.  I also realize that having a nicely defined roadmap
>> would
>> give Postgres a hands up in this category.
>

> A hands up in *what* category? In bragging?

In telling your boss, "I think we should use Postgresql."

It's likely he's not stupid, and it's reasonable for him
to say "since I'm tying my own success to this software, I want
to have some indication as to where this software is going to
go."

Something like Josh Berkus' table of features would be very nice.

(I've worked with sales teams at my various former employers, and
the best things you can provide them are documents (feature descriptions,
competitive analyses, white papers, etc) that your customer contact can
use as the basis for his own justification to buy your product.
All of this can be summarized as "make it easy for people to help you.")

Cheers,
Mark

--
Mark Harrison
Pixar Animation Studios

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What can we learn from MySQL?

От
Alexey Borzov
Дата:
Hi!

Tim Conrad wrote:
>>My favourite part of it is:
>>--------
>>MySQL uses traditional row-level locking. PostgreSQL uses something
>>called Multi Version Concurrency Control (MVCC) by default. MVCC is a
>>little different from row-level locking in that transactions on the
>>database are performed on a snapshot of the data and then serialized.
>>New versions of PostgreSQL support standard row-level locking as an
>>option, but MVCC is the preferred method.
>>--------
>
> Nice that you point out that incorrectly stated something. Even
> nicer that you don't tell me what the correct answer would be.
> Unfortunanatly, that's the best I could come up with with doing
> research with the documentation I could find on the subject. MVCC
> does a  lot more than can be easily contained in a sentance.

The problem is that in MySQL
1) MyISAM does table-level locking;
2) BDB does row-level locking;
3) InnoDB does MVCC (mostly) like PostgreSQL.

PostgreSQL does support row-level locking (SELECT ... FOR UPDATE), table-level
locking (LOCK TABLE ...), though this does not *replace* MVCC, as one may
understand from the quotation.

>>MySQL's roadmap is complete bullshit. Subselects were first promised in
>>4.0, which was "not that far away" [1] back in 1998! Well, they are in
>>4.1, which is still alpha in 2004.
>
> I realize this.  I also realize that having a nicely defined roadmap would
> give Postgres a hands up in this category.

A hands up in *what* category? In bragging?

Should PostgreSQL developers write something along the lines of "PostgreSQL 9i
(available Really Soon Now) will also be able to make coffee"?

Well, as you know about coffee now, why don't you add "make coffee" to your
comparison table, with empty space in MySQL's and commercial DBMSs' columns and
"in 9i" in PostgreSQL's one?

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What can we learn from MySQL?

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Tuesday 27 April 2004 15:12, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> You know, that's kind of the point of all things related to MySQL.
> "It's better than nothing."  PostgreSQL doesn't do things because "it's
> better than nothing."  <snip>
> (Same as how MySQL guesses the result of a modulo operation, and gets it
> wrong.  They don't care and you can read that on the manual.  In
> Postgres, this is a bug.)

Hey Alvaro,
are you familiar with "worse is better" philosphy in software development and
how that leads to adoption rates? It basically states that simplicity is the
ultimate design goal over correctness, consitency, and completness.  Because
of this more people are able to quickly adopt a technology, which allows the
incorrectness/inconsistency/incompletness to be address by new comers and
gradually bring the software up to higher standards.   I was reading some
blogs the other day that applied this to PHP's adoption rate over Java and
.net, but your comment made me think this really applies to my$ql and
postgresql as well. check out
http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1121502&postcount=2 for a bit
more.

Robert Treat

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What can we learn from MySQL?

Дата:
Robert Treat wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 April 2004 15:12, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > You know, that's kind of the point of all things related to MySQL.
> > "It's better than nothing."  PostgreSQL doesn't do things because "it's
> > better than nothing."  <snip>
> > (Same as how MySQL guesses the result of a modulo operation, and gets it
> > wrong.  They don't care and you can read that on the manual.  In
> > Postgres, this is a bug.)
> >

> Hey Alvaro,
> are you familiar with "worse is better" philosphy in software development and
> how that leads to adoption rates? It basically states that simplicity is the
> ultimate design goal over correctness, consitency, and completness.  Because
> of this more people are able to quickly adopt a technology, which allows the
> incorrectness/inconsistency/incompletness to be address by new comers and
> gradually bring the software up to higher standards.   I was reading some
> blogs the other day that applied this to PHP's adoption rate over Java and
> .net, but your comment made me think this really applies to my$ql and
> postgresql as well. check out
> http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1121502&postcount=2 for a bit
> more.

Interesting analysis.

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What can we learn from MySQL?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 03:06:53PM -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 April 2004 15:12, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > You know, that's kind of the point of all things related to MySQL.
> > "It's better than nothing."  PostgreSQL doesn't do things because "it's
> > better than nothing."  <snip>
> > (Same as how MySQL guesses the result of a modulo operation, and gets it
> > wrong.  They don't care and you can read that on the manual.  In
> > Postgres, this is a bug.)
>
> Hey Alvaro,
> are you familiar with "worse is better" philosphy in software development and
> how that leads to adoption rates?

Yeah, I've read about it.  I'm not sure which side of the do I sit on,
though.  The wikipedia entry may be a good read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worse_is_better

Note that it puts correctness and consistency after simplicity, but this
not means that they are completely put away.  I think SQL (as in "SQL
standard") is not modelled after this idea: SQL tries to be complete
rather than simple.  I may be wrong though.  Certainly MySQL does away
with completeness and tries to achieve simplicity, while the opposite
could be said of Postgres.

Fortunately, Postgres has apparently caught up with developer mass, so
it may yet be able to win against MySQL ...

"Linux transformó mi computadora, de una `máquina para hacer cosas',
en un aparato realmente entretenido, sobre el cual cada día aprendo
algo nuevo" (Jaime Salinas)

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What can we learn from MySQL?

От
jearl@bullysports.com
Дата:
Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> writes:

> On Tuesday 27 April 2004 15:12, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> You know, that's kind of the point of all things related to MySQL.
>> "It's better than nothing."  PostgreSQL doesn't do things because
>> "it's better than nothing."  <snip> (Same as how MySQL guesses the
>> result of a modulo operation, and gets it wrong.  They don't care
>> and you can read that on the manual.  In Postgres, this is a bug.)
>>

> Hey Alvaro, are you familiar with "worse is better" philosphy in
> software development and how that leads to adoption rates? It
> basically states that simplicity is the ultimate design goal over
> correctness, consitency, and completness.  Because of this more
> people are able to quickly adopt a technology, which allows the
> incorrectness/inconsistency/incompletness to be address by new
> comers and gradually bring the software up to higher standards.  I
> was reading some blogs the other day that applied this to PHP's
> adoption rate over Java and .net, but your comment made me think
> this really applies to my$ql and postgresql as well. check out
> http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1121502&postcount=2
> for a bit more.

The problem with the "Worse is Better" philosophy is that it almost
totally overlooks price, which is arguably the most important factor
in deciding which technologies get adopted.  The real trick is being
"good enough" at the lowest price.  When MySQL became the de-facto web
database (back in the Postgres95 and Postgres 6.X days) PostgreSQL
simply wasn't "good enough" for most sites.  PostgreSQL, in those
days, was slow, buggy, and decidedly non-standard (anyone else
remember PostQUEL).

On the plus side I personally don't think that Free Software databases
have really hit their stride yet, and I believe that when they do
PostgreSQL is going to be front and center.  MySQL is a pretty handy
datastore, but PostgreSQL is a far more useful tool for creating
complex applications.

Jason