Обсуждение: pg_dump end comment

pg_dump end comment

От
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Дата:
This might seem a bit silly, but is there any chance we could add a
comment at the end of pg_dump text output that says '-- End of dump'?

Would make it useful for checking that you actually have a complete dump...

Chris

Re: pg_dump end comment

Дата:
> This might seem a bit silly, but is there any chance we could add a
> comment at the end of pg_dump text output that says '-- End of dump'?

Sure --- while you're at it, put a "beginning of dump" at the start.

Is it worth adding the database name and/or other command-line
parameters given to pg_dump?

One thing to think about is the difference between a bare pg_dump and a
pg_dump/pg_restore sequence.  Should these always generate identical
text output?  (They do as of CVS tip, I believe, though this was not
always true before.)

Possibly this is all gilding the lily though...
        regards, tom lane

Re: pg_dump end comment

Tom Lane wrote:
> Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl@familyhealth.com.au> writes:
> > This might seem a bit silly, but is there any chance we could add a
> > comment at the end of pg_dump text output that says '-- End of dump'?
>
> Sure --- while you're at it, put a "beginning of dump" at the start.
>
> Is it worth adding the database name and/or other command-line
> parameters given to pg_dump?
>
> One thing to think about is the difference between a bare pg_dump and a
> pg_dump/pg_restore sequence.  Should these always generate identical
> text output?  (They do as of CVS tip, I believe, though this was not
> always true before.)
>
> Possibly this is all gilding the lily though...

I like an end-of-dump marker for folks who want to check if the dump got
truncated somehow.  I can see how to do that for text dumps, but what
about for tar or custom dumps?

Pennsylvania19073

Re: pg_dump end comment

От
Gavin Sherry
Дата:
On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl@familyhealth.com.au> writes:
> > > This might seem a bit silly, but is there any chance we could add a
> > > comment at the end of pg_dump text output that says '-- End of dump'?
> >
> > Sure --- while you're at it, put a "beginning of dump" at the start.
> >
> > Is it worth adding the database name and/or other command-line
> > parameters given to pg_dump?
> >
> > One thing to think about is the difference between a bare pg_dump and a
> > pg_dump/pg_restore sequence.  Should these always generate identical
> > text output?  (They do as of CVS tip, I believe, though this was not
> > always true before.)
> >
> > Possibly this is all gilding the lily though...
>
> I like an end-of-dump marker for folks who want to check if the dump got
> truncated somehow.  I can see how to do that for text dumps, but what
> about for tar or custom dumps?

Wouldn't it be more effective to test for non zero return status as this
handles -Fc cases, etc, which would be non-trivial to test.

Gavin

Re: pg_dump end comment

Дата:
Gavin Sherry <swm@linuxworld.com.au> writes:
> On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> I like an end-of-dump marker for folks who want to check if the dump got
>> truncated somehow.  I can see how to do that for text dumps, but what
>> about for tar or custom dumps?

> Wouldn't it be more effective to test for non zero return status as this
> handles -Fc cases, etc, which would be non-trivial to test.

In the tar and custom archive formats, it's fairly obvious if the file
was truncated: you'll have table-of-contents entries that point past
the end of file.  The only case that really needs an endmarker is
textual scripts --- both straight from pg_dump, and produced by
pg_restore.
        regards, tom lane

Re: pg_dump end comment

Дата:
Gavin Sherry wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> > >
> > > Sure --- while you're at it, put a "beginning of dump" at the start.
> > >
> > > Is it worth adding the database name and/or other command-line
> > > parameters given to pg_dump?
> > >
> > > One thing to think about is the difference between a bare pg_dump and a
> > > pg_dump/pg_restore sequence.  Should these always generate identical
> > > text output?  (They do as of CVS tip, I believe, though this was not
> > > always true before.)
> > >
> > > Possibly this is all gilding the lily though...
> >
> > I like an end-of-dump marker for folks who want to check if the dump got
> > truncated somehow.  I can see how to do that for text dumps, but what
> > about for tar or custom dumps?
>
> Wouldn't it be more effective to test for non zero return status as this
> handles -Fc cases, etc, which would be non-trivial to test.

Yes, they have to check for a proper exit from pg_dump, but there is
still a file sitting around after the dump, with no way to tell if it is
accurate.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: pg_dump end comment

От
Philip Warner
Дата:
At 12:13 AM 31/03/2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>Yes, they have to check for a proper exit from pg_dump, but there is
>still a file sitting around after the dump, with no way to tell if it is
>accurate.

Why don't we write a hash into the header or footer. Then use something like:
    pg_restore --verify <dump-file>

if file integrity is the objective.

Fax: (+61) 03 5330 3172          |                 ___________ |
Http://www.rhyme.com.au          |                /           \|                                 |    --________--
PGP key available upon request,  |  /
and from pgp.mit.edu:11371       |/

Re: pg_dump end comment

От
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Дата:
>>I like an end-of-dump marker for folks who want to check if the dump got
>>truncated somehow.  I can see how to do that for text dumps, but what
>>about for tar or custom dumps?
>
> Wouldn't it be more effective to test for non zero return status as this
> handles -Fc cases, etc, which would be non-trivial to test.

That assumes you are there at the time of dump...

Chris

Re: pg_dump end comment

От
"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
On Wed, 31 Mar 2004, Philip Warner wrote:

> At 12:13 AM 31/03/2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >Yes, they have to check for a proper exit from pg_dump, but there is
> >still a file sitting around after the dump, with no way to tell if it is
> >accurate.
>
> Why don't we write a hash into the header or footer. Then use something like:
>
>      pg_restore --verify <dump-file>
>
> if file integrity is the objective.

I like this idea.  Nice to be able to check the md5 sig to make sure a
backup is not corrupted OR short.