Обсуждение: tsearch2 patch for 7.4.1

tsearch2 patch for 7.4.1

От
Oleg Bartunov
Дата:
Hi there,

we have a patch for contrib/tsearch2 we'd like to commit for 7.4.1.
Is it ok ?

We added support for compound words using ispell dictionaries.
It's rather important feature for agglutinative languages like
german, norwegian (tested). This work was sponsored by ABC Startsiden
(www.startsiden.no).
Regards,    Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: tsearch2 patch for 7.4.1

Дата:
Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su> writes:
> we have a patch for contrib/tsearch2 we'd like to commit for 7.4.1.
> Is it ok ?

> We added support for compound words using ispell dictionaries.
> It's rather important feature for agglutinative languages like
> german, norwegian (tested). This work was sponsored by ABC Startsiden
> (www.startsiden.no).

This strikes me as a feature addition, and therefore not appropriate for
the 7.4 branch.  You should only commit bug fixes into stable branches,
not feature additions.
        regards, tom lane

Re: tsearch2 patch for 7.4.1

От
Hannu Krosing
Дата:
Tom Lane kirjutas N, 20.11.2003 kell 17:18:
> Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su> writes:
> > we have a patch for contrib/tsearch2 we'd like to commit for 7.4.1.
> > Is it ok ?
>
> > We added support for compound words using ispell dictionaries.
> > It's rather important feature for agglutinative languages like
> > german, norwegian (tested). This work was sponsored by ABC Startsiden
> > (www.startsiden.no).
>
> This strikes me as a feature addition, and therefore not appropriate for
> the 7.4 branch.  You should only commit bug fixes into stable branches,
> not feature additions.

Is this so even for contrib ?

I seem to remember that there have been new feature popping up in
contrib in stable branches earlier.

But if the general direction is to stabilise contrib as well, what about
committing it as a separate patch file
contrib/tsearch2/patches/compond-words-patch.1 , so that these people
(or german/norvegian linux distributors) who consider lack of support
for compound words a bug can apply it themselves before building ?

---------------
Hannu

Re: tsearch2 patch for 7.4.1

От
Teodor Sigaev
Дата:
No problem, dictionary with support of compounds will be avaliable as separate
contrib module from our site till 7.5.

--
Teodor Sigaev                                  E-mail: teodor@sigaev.ru

Re: tsearch2 patch for 7.4.1

От
Oleg Bartunov
Дата:
On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Teodor Sigaev wrote:

> No problem, dictionary with support of compounds will be avaliable as separate
> contrib module from our site till 7.5.

Hmm, I think better not to introduce another dictionary, which require
additional efforts to configure tsearch2, but maintain whole module
with new ispell dictionary builtin.

Oleg

> Hannu Krosing wrote:
> > Tom Lane kirjutas N, 20.11.2003 kell 17:18:

> >>This strikes me as a feature addition, and therefore not appropriate for
> >>the 7.4 branch.  You should only commit bug fixes into stable branches,
> >>not feature additions.
> >

> > Is this so even for contrib ?
> >
> > I seem to remember that there have been new feature popping up in
> > contrib in stable branches earlier.
> >
> > But if the general direction is to stabilise contrib as well, what about
> > committing it as a separate patch file
> > contrib/tsearch2/patches/compond-words-patch.1 , so that these people
> > (or german/norvegian linux distributors) who consider lack of support
> > for compound words a bug can apply it themselves before building ?
> >
> > ---------------
> > Hannu

Regards,    Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: tsearch2 patch for 7.4.1

От
Andreas Joseph Krogh
Дата: