Обсуждение: comments on casts

comments on casts

От
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Дата:
Hey guys,

Is it true to say that it's impossible for me to allow comments on
casts, as there is no OID on the pg_cast table?

Chris

Re: comments on casts

Дата:
> Is it true to say that it's impossible for me to allow comments on
> casts, as there is no OID on the pg_cast table?

Eh?

regression=# select oid from pg_cast; oid
-------1642016421164221642316424... etc ...

It would be a very serious design error if pg_cast didn't have OIDs,
because then pg_cast entries couldn't have dependency entries in
pg_depend.
        regards, tom lane

Re: comments on casts

От
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Дата:
> regression=# select oid from pg_cast;
>   oid
> -------
>  16420
>  16421
>  16422
>  16423
>  16424
>  ... etc ...
>
> It would be a very serious design error if pg_cast didn't have OIDs,
> because then pg_cast entries couldn't have dependency entries in
> pg_depend.

OK.  Weird.  I could have _sworn_ I tried that and I didn't get an OID
column.  Oh well - makes things a lot easier.

Also, with the pg_largeobject table, there seems to be no 'owner'
concept on lobs at all.  So is there no problem with any random gumby
commenting on anyone else's large object?

Chris

Re: comments on casts

Дата:
> Also, with the pg_largeobject table, there seems to be no 'owner'
> concept on lobs at all.  So is there no problem with any random gumby
> commenting on anyone else's large object?

We don't have a lot of choice.  I suppose ideally LOs should have
owners, but I don't really want to put that much effort (and breakage of
existing apps, no doubt) into them.
        regards, tom lane

Re: comments on casts

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Christopher Kings-Lynne writes:

> Also, with the pg_largeobject table, there seems to be no 'owner'
> concept on lobs at all.  So is there no problem with any random gumby
> commenting on anyone else's large object?

Not any worse that any random gumby reading or writing anyone else's large
object.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net