Обсуждение: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/src/template bsdi freebsd netbsd ...

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/src/template bsdi freebsd netbsd ...

Дата:
Neil Conway wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 09:35, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I only put back what was already there --- not sure why others don't use
> > it.  You want it enabled on Linux?
>
> Well, why do we have it enabled at all? If it's to speed compilation, we
> may as well enable it on other platforms where -pipe works, of which
> Linux is one.

My gcc 2.95.3 manual says:

       -pipe  Use pipes rather than temporary files for  communi-
              cation  between  the various stages of compilation.
              This fails to work on some systems where the assem-
              bler cannot read from a pipe; but the GNU assembler
              has no trouble.

so it looks like we can't use it on all platforms without testing.  I
will enable it for linux.  Do people want to test other platforms?

Re: [PORTS] [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/src/template bsdi freebsd

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Bruce Momjian writes:

> > Well, why do we have it enabled at all? If it's to speed compilation, we
> > may as well enable it on other platforms where -pipe works, of which
> > Linux is one.

On my (Linux) system, no -pipe is always faster than -pipe.

> so it looks like we can't use it on all platforms without testing.  I
> will enable it for linux.  Do people want to test other platforms?

I request the change for Linux to be reverted.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: [PORTS] [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/src/template bsdi freebsd netbsd

Дата:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > > Well, why do we have it enabled at all? If it's to speed compilation, we
> > > may as well enable it on other platforms where -pipe works, of which
> > > Linux is one.
>
> On my (Linux) system, no -pipe is always faster than -pipe.
>
> > so it looks like we can't use it on all platforms without testing.  I
> > will enable it for linux.  Do people want to test other platforms?
>
> I request the change for Linux to be reverted.

Done.  Let me test BSD/OS now that you mention it.  :-)

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/src/template bsdi freebsd netbsd ...

От
Philip Yarra
Дата:
On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 12:45 am, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> My gcc 2.95.3 manual says:
>
>        -pipe  Use pipes rather than temporary files for  communi-
> [snip]
> so it looks like we can't use it on all platforms without testing.  I
> will enable it for linux.  Do people want to test other platforms?

I saw your message that it was disabled for all builds (I assume you meant
"all", not "all BSDs"), but for the sake of completeness:

$ uname -a
OSF1 hostname V4.0 1229 alpha
$ cc -pipe main.c
ld:
-pipe: Unknown flag
ld: Usage: ld [options] file [...]
$ gcc -pipe main.c
as: Error: no source, object or ucode file specified
main.c:46: output pipe has been closed

Regards, Philip Yarra.

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/src/template bsdi freebsd netbsd

Дата:
Philip Yarra wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 12:45 am, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > My gcc 2.95.3 manual says:
> >
> >        -pipe  Use pipes rather than temporary files for  communi-
> > [snip]
> > so it looks like we can't use it on all platforms without testing.  I
> > will enable it for linux.  Do people want to test other platforms?
>
> I saw your message that it was disabled for all builds (I assume you meant
> "all", not "all BSDs"), but for the sake of completeness:
>
> $ uname -a
> OSF1 hostname V4.0 1229 alpha
> $ cc -pipe main.c
> ld:
> -pipe: Unknown flag
> ld: Usage: ld [options] file [...]
> $ gcc -pipe main.c
> as: Error: no source, object or ucode file specified
> main.c:46: output pipe has been closed

Right.  It was only enabled on BSD's in the code, so I just removed
that.  It didn't exist in any other builds.

Re: [PORTS] [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/src/template bsdi freebsd

От
"Henry B. Hotz"
Дата:
At 10:45 AM -0400 10/9/03, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>Neil Conway wrote:
>>  On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 09:35, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>  > I only put back what was already there --- not sure why others don't use
>>  > it.  You want it enabled on Linux?
>>
>>  Well, why do we have it enabled at all? If it's to speed compilation, we
>>  may as well enable it on other platforms where -pipe works, of which
>>  Linux is one.
>
>My gcc 2.95.3 manual says:
>
>        -pipe  Use pipes rather than temporary files for  communi-
>               cation  between  the various stages of compilation.
>               This fails to work on some systems where the assem-
>               bler cannot read from a pipe; but the GNU assembler
>               has no trouble.
>
>so it looks like we can't use it on all platforms without testing.  I
>will enable it for linux.  Do people want to test other platforms?

It should work on any platform that uses the GNU tools, so that means
*BSD is in the same boat as Linux.

Does it really speed compilation though?  I saw somewhere that it
didn't make much difference and might even hurt sometimes.