Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/src/template bsdi freebsd netbsd ...

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/src/template bsdi freebsd netbsd ...
Дата
Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/src/template bsdi freebsd netbsd ...  (Philip Yarra <philip@utiba.com>)
Re: [PORTS] [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/src/template bsdi freebsd  ("Henry B. Hotz" <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Neil Conway wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 09:35, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I only put back what was already there --- not sure why others don't use
> > it.  You want it enabled on Linux?
>
> Well, why do we have it enabled at all? If it's to speed compilation, we
> may as well enable it on other platforms where -pipe works, of which
> Linux is one.

My gcc 2.95.3 manual says:

       -pipe  Use pipes rather than temporary files for  communi-
              cation  between  the various stages of compilation.
              This fails to work on some systems where the assem-
              bler cannot read from a pipe; but the GNU assembler
              has no trouble.

so it looks like we can't use it on all platforms without testing.  I
will enable it for linux.  Do people want to test other platforms?