Обсуждение: changes to support logging

changes to support logging

От
Andrew Dunstan
Дата:
To support some of the logging changes I'm working on, I propose to add
the following members to struct Port, unless anyone objects - these are
all calculated in postmaster/postmaster.c:
 struct tm session_start; char * remote_host; char * remote_port;

Question: In setting these is it better to call strdup() or pstrdup() -
the code comments aren't entirely clear on that.

Another thing:

I've noticed an inconsistency in calls to gettimeofday(): sometimes it
is passed a struct tz (which is ignored) as the second argument, and
sometimes NULL as the second argument. My understanding is that the
second argument is basically useless anyway - on my Linux box man
gettimeofday says this:
 The  use  of  the timezone struct is obsolete; the tz_dsttime field has never been used under Linux - it has not been
andwill not be supported by  libc or glibc.

I therefore propose to clean this up in the following places:
 backend/commands/vacuum.c backend/utils/adt/nabstime.c backend/postmaster/postmaster.c (3)

(I know it's a minor nit, but what the heck?)

cheers

andrew

Re: changes to support logging

Дата:
> I've noticed an inconsistency in calls to gettimeofday(): sometimes it
> is passed a struct tz (which is ignored) as the second argument, and
> sometimes NULL as the second argument. My understanding is that the
> second argument is basically useless anyway - on my Linux box man
> gettimeofday says this:

You are confusing the second argument with something else (a field in
the first argument struct).  However, if we're assuming that NULL works
in some places, we may as well use it everywhere that it makes sense.
        regards, tom lane

Re: changes to support logging

От
Andrew Dunstan
Дата:
I should have said "struct timezone'  instead of 'struct tz' (ain't no
such animal).  But the first argument is a struct timeval *, which has
no reference to a timezone.

Anyway - pointless to argue - I'll make the changes. NULL should work:
the man page says this:
  If  either  tv or tz is null, the corresponding structure is not set

cheers

andrew