Обсуждение: Slackware 9 Build Problems

Slackware 9 Build Problems

От
brian janaszek
Дата:
Hi--

I've recently installed Slackware 9 (after using Mandrake and RedHat in the
past), and I've been attempted to build both Postgres 7.3 and 7.1, and I'm
not having success with either of them.

The configure script runs fine, but when I attempt 'gmake', I get a long list
of parse errors and warnings, and the build fails.

gcc version is 3.2.2 and gmake is 3.80.

I'd be glad to send the gmake output to a text file and post that if it might
help.

TIA
bmj

Re: Slackware 9 Build Problems

От
Shridhar Daithankar
Дата:
On Sunday 04 May 2003 19:27, brian janaszek wrote:
> Hi--
>
> I've recently installed Slackware 9 (after using Mandrake and RedHat in the
> past), and I've been attempted to build both Postgres 7.3 and 7.1, and I'm
> not having success with either of them.
>
> The configure script runs fine, but when I attempt 'gmake', I get a long
> list of parse errors and warnings, and the build fails.
>
> gcc version is 3.2.2 and gmake is 3.80.

Must be some dependency error.. I have 7.3.2 installed on slackware 9 and it
worked out of box. ( OK since it works now, I don't remember if I tweaked
anything..but point is it works)

Exact logs would surely be useful..
Shridhar

Re: Slackware 9 Build Problems

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
It's rumoured that brian janaszek once said:
> Hi--
>
> I've recently installed Slackware 9 (after using Mandrake and RedHat in
> the  past), and I've been attempted to build both Postgres 7.3 and 7.1,
> and I'm  not having success with either of them.
>
> The configure script runs fine, but when I attempt 'gmake', I get a
> long list  of parse errors and warnings, and the build fails.
>
> gcc version is 3.2.2 and gmake is 3.80.
>
> I'd be glad to send the gmake output to a text file and post that if it
> might  help.

Hi Brian,

I doubt I'll be able to solve the actual problem for you, but just so you
know it can be done, I've compiled and built PostgreSQL 7.3.2 with no
problems on Slackware 9 (actually there were problems running it but that
turned out to be a buggy bios).
Regards, Dave

Re: Slackware 9 Build Problems

От
brian janaszek
Дата:
> I doubt I'll be able to solve the actual problem for you, but just so you
> know it can be done, I've compiled and built PostgreSQL 7.3.2 with no
> problems on Slackware 9 (actually there were problems running it but that
> turned out to be a buggy bios).
> Regards, Dave

Well, thanks for the positive thoughts ;-)

I'm assuming your environment was the same (same gcc and gmake)?  Most of the
errors point to specific values/tuples/references within the source code.

I'm still sorta feeling my way around the Slackware package system...did you
install via the source tarball from postgres, or did you generate a .tgz
package and use Slack's installpkg?

thanks
bmj

Re: Slackware 9 Build Problems

От
brian janaszek
Дата:
On Sunday 04 May 2003 10:27, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:

> Exact logs would surely be useful..
>
>  Shridhar

OK....here they are:

http://anklebiter.net/tech/postgres_log.txt

bmj

Re: Slackware 9 Build Problems

От
Kurt Roeckx
Дата:
On Sun, May 04, 2003 at 10:57:13AM -0400, brian janaszek wrote:
> On Sunday 04 May 2003 10:27, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> >
> > Exact logs would surely be useful..
>
> http://anklebiter.net/tech/postgres_log.txt

Those are 7.1.3 logs?  Does 7.3.2 give the same warnings/errors?

Kurt

Re: Slackware 9 Build Problems

От
Kurt Roeckx
Дата:
On Sun, May 04, 2003 at 10:57:13AM -0400, brian janaszek wrote:
> On Sunday 04 May 2003 10:27, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> >
> > Exact logs would surely be useful..
> >

> http://anklebiter.net/tech/postgres_log.txt

So what is on line 35 of src/include/config.h?

Here it looks like:
#define PG_VERSION_STR "PostgreSQL 7.1.3 on i586-pc-linux-gnulibc1, compiled by GCC 2.95.3"

Kurt

Re: Slackware 9 Build Problems

От
Shridhar Daithankar
Дата:
On Sunday 04 May 2003 20:44, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> On Sun, May 04, 2003 at 10:57:13AM -0400, brian janaszek wrote:
> > On Sunday 04 May 2003 10:27, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> > > Exact logs would surely be useful..
> >
> > http://anklebiter.net/tech/postgres_log.txt

OK.. I found one error.

src/include/config.h: line 35: Complete the string literal, put " at the end
of line

There are more errors and I am investigating them.. Let's see but I am sure
that will work..:-)
HTH
Shridhar

Re: Slackware 9 Build Problems

Дата:
Kurt Roeckx <Q@ping.be> writes:
>> http://anklebiter.net/tech/postgres_log.txt

> Those are 7.1.3 logs?  Does 7.3.2 give the same warnings/errors?

7.1.3's configure doesn't cope with the multi-line output that recent
versions of gcc emit for "gcc --version".  Thus the bogus value of
PG_VERSION_STR.

Try actually using 7.3.2 ;-)
        regards, tom lane

Re: Slackware 9 Build Problems

От
brian janaszek
Дата:
On Sunday 04 May 2003 12:54, Tom Lane wrote:

> Try actually using 7.3.2 ;-)
>
>             regards, tom lane

Well, I have actually.  Same errors....

> I'm going to try the fix that Shrihdar found:

> OK.. I found one error.

> src/include/config.h: line 35: Complete the string literal, put " at the end
> of line

TIA
bmj

Re: Slackware 9 Build Problems

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
It's rumoured that brian janaszek once said:
>> I doubt I'll be able to solve the actual problem for you, but just so
>> you know it can be done, I've compiled and built PostgreSQL 7.3.2 with
>> no problems on Slackware 9 (actually there were problems running it
>> but that turned out to be a buggy bios).
>> Regards, Dave
>
> Well, thanks for the positive thoughts ;-)
>
> I'm assuming your environment was the same (same gcc and gmake)?  Most
> of the  errors point to specific values/tuples/references within the
> source code.

Yup, out of the box Slackware 9.

> I'm still sorta feeling my way around the Slackware package
> system...did you  install via the source tarball from postgres, or did
> you generate a .tgz  package and use Slack's installpkg?

Unpacked the tarball, then ./configure; make; make install

Couldn't be more standard (that's the way I like too keep it - easier to
rebuild if the worst happens!).
Regards, Dave.