Обсуждение: Indexes

mlw
Дата:
Does anyone think it would be a good idea, or is it even practical, to
have a 'indx' subdirectory along side of the 'base' directory?

I was thinking that, if it were an easy modification, that it could be
an easy way to separate data and indexes to different hard disks.

Re: Indexes

От
Daniel Kalchev
>>>mlw said:> Does anyone think it would be a good idea, or is it even practical, to > have a 'indx' subdirectory along
sideof the 'base' directory?> > I was thinking that, if it were an easy modification, that it could be > an easy way to
separatedata and indexes to different hard disks.

My guess is that having indexes at separate location on a per-databases basis would give greater benefit. Perhaps this
couldbe extended to all databases as well, but per-database location should be better?

Or do you think of something like data/base/xxxxx/indx where xxxxx is the database oid.

Daniel

Re: Indexes

> mlw said:
>>> Does anyone think it would be a good idea, or is it even practical, to
>>> have a 'indx' subdirectory along side of the 'base' directory?
>>>
>>> I was thinking that, if it were an easy modification, that it could be
>>> an easy way to separate data and indexes to different hard disks.

This and other quick hacks have been discussed before.  I think the
consensus has been to do nothing until someone gets around to writing
a general-purpose tablespace implementation.

FWIW, I don't think it would be an easy modification.  The low-level
file access code doesn't even know whether a given relation is an index
or not (... and I don't think it should know).  By the time you get done
implementing something reasonable at that level, you've got the
infrastructure you need for tablespaces.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Indexes

От
"Nigel J. Andrews"
Дата:
On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Tom Lane wrote:

> This and other quick hacks have been discussed before.  I think the
> consensus has been to do nothing until someone gets around to writing
> a general-purpose tablespace implementation.

Wasn't someone just about done with a tablespace implementation? I certainly
remember some discussion on this subject a few months ago.

--
Nigel J. Andrews