Обсуждение: Linux Largefile Support In Postgresql RPMS

Linux Largefile Support In Postgresql RPMS

От
mark Kirkwood
Дата:
Hi all,

I just spent some of the morning helping a customer build Pg 7.2.1 from
source in order to get Linux largefile support in pg_dump etc. They
possibly would have kept using the binary RPMs if they had this feature.

This got me to wondering why the Redhat/Mandrake...etc binary RPMS are
built without it.

Would including default largefile support in Linux RPMs be a good idea ?

(I am presuming that such RPMs are built by the Pg community and
"supplied" to the various distros... apologies if I have this all wrong...)

Cheers

Mark

Re: Linux Largefile Support In Postgresql RPMS

От
"Nigel J. Andrews"

Note, I'm not sure this belongs in -hackers so I've added -general but left
-hackers in so that list can at least see that it's going to -general.

On Thu, 8 Aug 2002, mark Kirkwood wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just spent some of the morning helping a customer build Pg 7.2.1 from
> source in order to get Linux largefile support in pg_dump etc. They
> possibly would have kept using the binary RPMs if they had this feature.
>
> This got me to wondering why the Redhat/Mandrake...etc binary RPMS are
> built without it.
>
> Would including default largefile support in Linux RPMs be a good idea ?
>
> (I am presuming that such RPMs are built by the Pg community and
> "supplied" to the various distros... apologies if I have this all wrong...)

I must admit that I am fairly new to PostgreSQL but I have used it and read
stuff about it and I'm not sure what you mean. Could you explain what you
did?

A quick scan of the source shows that there may be an issue in
storage/file/buffile.c:BufFileSeek() is that the sort of thing you are talking
about? Or maybe I've got it completely wrong and you're talking about adding
code to pg_dump although I thought that could already handle large
objects. Actually, I'm going to shut up now before I really do show my
ignorance and let you answer.

--
Nigel J. Andrews
Director

---
Logictree Systems Limited
Computer Consultants

Re: Linux Largefile Support In Postgresql RPMS

От
Lamar Owen
Дата:
On Thursday 08 August 2002 05:36 pm, Nigel J. Andrews wrote:
> Matt Kirkwood wrote:

> > I just spent some of the morning helping a customer build Pg 7.2.1 from
> > source in order to get Linux largefile support in pg_dump etc. They
> > possibly would have kept using the binary RPMs if they had this feature.

And you added this by doing what, exactly?  I'm not familiar with pg_dump
largefile support as a standalone feature.

> > (I am presuming that such RPMs are built by the Pg community and
> > "supplied" to the various distros... apologies if I have this all
> > wrong...)

You have this wrong.  The distributions do periodically sync up with my
revision, and I with theirs, but they do their own packaging.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: [GENERAL] Linux Largefile Support In Postgresql RPMS

От
Oliver Elphick
Дата:
On Fri, 2002-08-09 at 06:07, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Thursday 08 August 2002 05:36 pm, Nigel J. Andrews wrote:
> > Matt Kirkwood wrote:
>
> > > I just spent some of the morning helping a customer build Pg 7.2.1 from
> > > source in order to get Linux largefile support in pg_dump etc. They
> > > possibly would have kept using the binary RPMs if they had this feature.
>
> And you added this by doing what, exactly?  I'm not familiar with pg_dump
> largefile support as a standalone feature.

As far as I can make out from the libc docs, largefile support is
automatic if the macro _GNU_SOURCE is defined and the kernel supports
large files.

Is that a correct understanding? or do I actually need to do something
special to ensure that pg_dump supports large files?

Isle of Wight, UK
http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver
     "...ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be
      full."      John 16:24

Re: Linux Largefile Support In Postgresql RPMS

От
Mark Kirkwood
Дата:
Lamar Owen wrote:

>And you added this by doing what, exactly?  I'm not familiar with pg_dump
>largefile support as a standalone feature.

Enabling largefile support for the utilities was accomplished by :

CFLAGS="-O2 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64" ./configure ...

It seemed to me that the ability to dump databases >2G without gzip,
split etc was a "good thing". What do you think ?

>You have this wrong.  The distributions do periodically sync up with my
>revision, and I with theirs, but they do their own packaging.

I see.... so if you enabled such support, they they would probably sync
that too ?